Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
turn 1 darksteel citadel, turn 2 ensoul artifact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

uggy posted:

turn 1 darksteel citadel, turn 2 ensoul artifact

It reminds me of living the turn 1 ornithopter + bonesplitter, turn 2 equip and swing dream during mirrodin block.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I like how you can Ensoul Artifact on something that's already an artifact creature. Like, say, making Blightsteel Colossus so it takes two hits to kill you instead of 1.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
If I enchanted Cranial Plating, would it be equipped to itself like how a living artifact is?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Valicious posted:

If I enchanted Cranial Plating, would it be equipped to itself like how a living artifact is?

No, because Living weapons aren't equipped to themselves; they're equipped to 0/0 germ tokens.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If you turn equipment into a creature it can never be equipped and falls off anything it is currently equipped to.

quote:

212.2i An Equipment that's also a creature can't equip a creature. Equipment that loses the subtype "Equipment" can't equip a creature. An Equipment can't equip itself. An Equipment that equips an illegal or nonexistent permanent stops equipping that permanent, but remains in play. (This is a state-based effect. See rule 420.)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In theoretical EDH Magical Christmas Land, could you Ensoul Artifact a non-artifact that has become one via Darksteel Mutation being put on it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Archenteron posted:

In theoretical EDH Magical Christmas Land, could you Ensoul Artifact a non-artifact that has become one via Darksteel Mutation being put on it?
Yes. If mycosynth lattice is out you could Ensoul a planeswalker. Jace, The Artifact Creature Planeswalker Mindsculptor.

Then another player Clones him.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 3, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fun things to do:

Step 1. Get both Nicol Bolas and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker into play.
Step 2. Play Mycosynth Lattice.
Step 3. Play Bludgeon Brawl.
Step 4. Equip your Robot Nicol Bolas with your other Robot Nicol Bolas[, Planeswalker] and watch him crack skulls with his skulls!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mikujin posted:

Fun things to do:

Step 1. Get both Karn, Silver Golem and Karn Liberated into play.
Step 2. Play Mycosynth Lattice.
Step 3. Play Bludgeon Brawl.
Step 4. Equip your Robot Karn with your other Robot Karn and watch him crack skulls with his skulls!

It's golems all the way down baby :roboluv:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
That artifact crab, which is a decent enough card in most sets, appears to have been designed as an answer to Elspeth. He walks over her soldiers, and if she kills it, you just redirect his trigger damage to her face.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mortimer posted:

Download MTG Forge from whatever site it's at. Fully functioning MTG single player, has "quest mode" where you start with a card pool and each win gets you another pack to add to your pool.

:shrug: Maybe that'll sate your bloodlust for cracking packs?

It's also free.

That sounds great. How have Wizards not C&Ded that to hell?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anxiously awaiting Zoidberg alter :zoid:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Anxiously awaiting Zoidberg alter :zoid:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

That sounds great. How have Wizards not C&Ded that to hell?

It doesn't have multiplayer, you can only play against the AI. And the developers have been pretty clear about wanting to keep it that way.

Not that that would somehow protect it from being C&Ded, what I mean is that the lack of multiplayer seems to have kept it enough under the radar that Wizards either hasn't noticed it or hasn't cared.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

mango sentinel posted:

If you turn equipment into a creature it can never be equipped and falls off anything it is currently equipped to.

That seems like an oddly specific rule. Does anyone know if tiny was done to keep some other weird rules interaction in check, or is it actually just a flavor thing?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Jabor posted:

It doesn't have multiplayer, you can only play against the AI. And the developers have been pretty clear about wanting to keep it that way.

Not that that would somehow protect it from being C&Ded, what I mean is that the lack of multiplayer seems to have kept it enough under the radar that Wizards either hasn't noticed it or hasn't cared.

Plus there's a bunch of MTG software out and I'm pretty sure they haven't been C&D'd either.

Forge looks like a fun piece of software, but its still no Shandalar and I'm betting the DOTP series is still more intro friendly.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Forge is kinda neat but playing against the CPU gets old pretty fast. The charm of Shandalar was walking around on the map, finding secrets and battling with terrible decks and it's hard to replicate this in a menu-based game like Forge or DotP.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

netcat posted:

Forge is kinda neat but playing against the CPU gets old pretty fast. The charm of Shandalar was walking around on the map, finding secrets and battling with terrible decks and it's hard to replicate this in a menu-based game like Forge or DotP.

There was on old Pokemon TCG game for the Gameboy that had an overworld and bosses along with packs and deck building. It would be nice to take this concept and apply to a Magic game. Hell, even Yugioh had a bunch of similar games and their cards are a lot more wordy and complex so it shouldn't be too difficult for Magic to do it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The other issue with Forge is that the AI is really dumb-as-rocks. (Well, being honest, it's probably isn't any worse than the Shandalar AI, but the card pool the game's working with really shows off the AI shortcomings). It will attack X/2s into a Festering Newt all day, for example, because it doesn't think they'll trade. Also even though the AI decks in quest mode ramp up to fairly powerful combo-ish decks way too quickly, the AI has no idea how to play them. For example, there's a Melira-Persist deck, and even when the AI lands the combo (Melira + Persist creature + sac outlet that deals 1 damage), it just ignores it. If you play a 1-toughness creature it will kill it, but it doesn't seem to understand that it can repeat the combo steps to deal more than 1 damage to something.

When you combine the relative difference in power levels between your deck and your opponent's (the AI decks are way better than yours), with how boneheaded the AI acts, the game feels more like gaming the AI into giving you a win instead of playing an actual game of Magic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oraculum Animi posted:

There was on old Pokemon TCG game for the Gameboy that had an overworld and bosses along with packs and deck building. It would be nice to take this concept and apply to a Magic game. Hell, even Yugioh had a bunch of similar games and their cards are a lot more wordy and complex so it shouldn't be too difficult for Magic to do it.

Years ago, my guilty pleasure was playing the YuGiOh GBA games just because I wanted that Shandalar experience again. YuGiOh is a terrible game, but when you're playing what amounts to bad limited decks* against equally bad AI decks, it was kind of fun.

*YuGiOh doesn't have limited formats. They released one little set that was supposed to experiment with draft, but I only saw YuGiOh players try it once. They failed miserably - packs accidentally stacked on one another, passing in the wrong direction, etc.

Are you sure that was a Pokemon TCG game? I'll have to look into that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BJPaskoff posted:

Chiming in to say "yes."

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

BJPaskoff posted:

Years ago, my guilty pleasure was playing the YuGiOh GBA games just because I wanted that Shandalar experience again. YuGiOh is a terrible game, but when you're playing what amounts to bad limited decks* against equally bad AI decks, it was kind of fun.

*YuGiOh doesn't have limited formats. They released one little set that was supposed to experiment with draft, but I only saw YuGiOh players try it once. They failed miserably - packs accidentally stacked on one another, passing in the wrong direction, etc.

One year there was a 'house rules' area that you can unlock where you fight in a place with no rules and restrictions and you could use the Egyptian God Cards (some flavor about waging your soul in each fight.)

The best booster farming deck was the first turn Exodia win deck where you pack your deck with Exodia pieces and cycle through your entire deck to win on the first turn. :getin:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jabor posted:

The other issue with Forge is that the AI is really dumb-as-rocks. (Well, being honest, it's probably isn't any worse than the Shandalar AI, but the card pool the game's working with really shows off the AI shortcomings). It will attack X/2s into a Festering Newt all day, for example, because it doesn't think they'll trade. Also even though the AI decks in quest mode ramp up to fairly powerful combo-ish decks way too quickly, the AI has no idea how to play them. For example, there's a Melira-Persist deck, and even when the AI lands the combo (Melira + Persist creature + sac outlet that deals 1 damage), it just ignores it. If you play a 1-toughness creature it will kill it, but it doesn't seem to understand that it can repeat the combo steps to deal more than 1 damage to something.

When you combine the relative difference in power levels between your deck and your opponent's (the AI decks are way better than yours), with how boneheaded the AI acts, the game feels more like gaming the AI into giving you a win instead of playing an actual game of Magic.

It's hilarious giving the forge AI Modern Affinity. I usually just give it some zoo or white weenie list to play against since it can play those fairly well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Scuttling Doom Engine is loving sick. Fuckin' ready for M15 right now.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Has someone posted the Runeguard?

quote:

Prismatic Runeguard 3WW

Enchantement - Aura [Rare]

Enchant creature

Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and protection from all colors. This effect does not remove auras.

I can only find a foreign link to it Here

I haven't seen this posted over the last couple pages.

Edit: Doh typo

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 3, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Here's what runeguard looks like.

Edit: fixed the image, its late now, but oh well.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 3, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Protection never dies :unsmigghh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
the "This effect does not remove auras" clause is pretty strong there. At least it isn't hexproof!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

White Ward has time travelled to the modern day.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Hooray, protection from color is still in the core set! And it gets some drat reminder text, thank goodness.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Normally, protection from all colors would remove a white aura, right? Thats a new, special clause for this card, not reminder text on a core set card?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

End of Life Guy posted:

Normally, protection from all colors would remove a white aura, right? Thats a new, special clause for this card, not reminder text on a core set card?

Yeah, it's an expansion of the clause from White Ward.

Now riddle me this: Why does Black Ward et. al have the same clause?

Because they thought people would actually use Deathlace or Sleight of Mind effects to defeat the wards.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And there we have it, an aura worth tutoring for with boonweaver giant.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

Has someone posted the Runeguard?

I can only find a foreign link to it Here

I haven't seen this posted over the last couple pages.

Edit: Doh typo

Hahahahaha

French version of Prismatic Ward

horns.aiff

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rune guard looks really cool and I hope they do more anime style like that, promo resto angel and angelic destiny.

Polis crusher is pleased.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This card already exists! http://magiccards.info/5e/fr/329.html

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

I seriously need someone to outline that lady's body because I cannot tell what the hell is going on with her lower half :stare:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I get the impression she's riding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Well that's a bit awkward. So is the official rule that no two cards can have the same English name?

• Locked thread