Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Breakfast All Day posted:

it's a hedgehog because in a libertarian utopia you gotta go fast (because otherwise someone will rob and murder you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Breakfast All Day posted:

Or maybe it's a hedgehog because in a libertarian utopia you gotta go fast (because theyre all furries).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

XyloJW posted:

Porcupines love heroine.

Yeah, but what's their stance on some unsanitary cocktail of meth, colloidal silver, and a bunch of cooked up pills from grandma's medicine cabinet all bunged into a dumpster syringe?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, but what's their stance on some unsanitary cocktail of meth, colloidal silver, and a bunch of cooked up pills from grandma's medicine cabinet all bunged into a dumpster syringe?

Don't you dare get yer big gubmint into my chemical cocktail.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thanatosian posted:

Was anyone else--after reading the "Jamie Dimon has cancer" headlines--really disappointed to find out that his prognosis is good?

This is proof to me that the world is not a just place

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Prosopagnosiac posted:

his ways and wants to "change the system man".

....Or the far more likely case that dude knows a mark when he sees one and wants to get a piece of that sweet $2.7 million they've raised in Internet donations and has no other options due to his total lack of credibility among people who can identify their rear end from a hole in the ground.
Is he still working in a Jewish pizzeria when he's not attending his Orthodox synagogue?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I've got to go to that libertarian thing it sounds amazing

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought Burning Man was the libertarian Burning Man.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The guy who owns KevynOrr.com is being sued for calling Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr a dictator on his website.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-detroit-activist-is-being-sued-for-a-site-making-fun-of-the-citys-politicians

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought Burning Man was the libertarian Burning Man.

Not enough people reciting Galt's speech verbatim and from memory for your average Libertarian's liking.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Who What Now posted:

Not enough people reciting Galt's speech verbatim and from memory for your average Libertarian's liking.

Also a distict lack of open carrying going on. How they get along without the constant visual threat of force I'll never know.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone have a PDF of the most recent Ron Paul cookbook? I want to rubberneck at it with my own eyes instead of just watching that WSJ video, and it seems to be out of print (obviously given that it's almost two years old and was a campaign donation incentive).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is that guy just going around sticking people with the same needle?

:gonk:

I just wondered if libertarians could stay libertarians while dealing with HIV, then I remembered how Peter McWilliams died because he needed cannabis to keep his cocktail down :smithicide:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Is it really ethical to have established this thread, conducting an experiment with human research subjects without getting informed consent first?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Broken Machine posted:

Is it really ethical to have established this thread, conducting an experiment with human research subjects without getting informed consent first?

It's certainly legal under the Common Rule unless he's working for an institution receiving federal research funding. There's not a strong sign of hazardous outcomes, either, so as long as we avoid too much suicidal ideation in response to political outcomes we don't like, in my professional opinion we're probably fine. I have a conflict of interest, though. Maybe he should appoint an outside review panel? At least get a consult.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It's certainly legal under the Common Rule unless he's working for an institution receiving federal research funding. There's not a strong sign of hazardous outcomes, either, so as long as we avoid too much suicidal ideation in response to political outcomes we don't like, in my professional opinion we're probably fine. I have a conflict of interest, though. Maybe he should appoint an outside review panel? At least get a consult.

Theres no question that this kind of human subject research needs an IRB though.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

ReindeerF posted:

Is he still working in a Jewish pizzeria when he's not attending his Orthodox synagogue?

No, apparently he was working there as part of a halfway house program after his release in 2010. It's been pointed out to me that he has become a big spokesman for the anti corruption movement he released an Autobiographical book about his experiences. He now does speaking engagements and had an XM radio show for a time.

I guess it's good that he's at least trying to make amends for his past behavior, but it's still hard for me to believe that someone as craven as he was could completely change his ways. And it also has no bearing on the fact that the Mayday PAC is still a laughable idea with little in the way of concrete plans for the 2.7 million they have raised. They can throw it behind a few candidates, but it's still a laughable amount compared to the hundreds of millions the Kochs and Adelsons of the world can throw around on a midterm election.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's enough to push public financing in a few states.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

paragon1 posted:

How do you guys feel about boiled peanuts?

Boiled Peanuts are the best and if you've never tried them you should definitely go do it now. I ate them all the time with beers in West Africa and apparently it's a Southern thing also !

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres no question that this kind of human subject research needs an IRB though.

No, it doesn't, that's the point. Unless SA is taking NIH grants or something, there's no IRB requirement.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Broken Machine posted:

Ethics are an artificial social construct, my friend. Free yourself and embrace logic

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

In other news, the CIA just fessed up to, well... dicking with the UFO crowd. :v:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I forget, have they owned up to killing Allende yet?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

made of bees posted:

I forget, have they owned up to killing Allende yet?

I would think having his bloody glasses on display (:wtc:) counts as a confession

oh wait Chile has those, I was thinking of Lumumba's teeth

and belgium has those, perhaps the CIA museum is not the horror show I assumed it was

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 3, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

In other news, the CIA just fessed up to, well... dicking with the UFO crowd. :v:
"At this time, no one believed manned flight was possible above 60,000 feet, so no one expected to see an object so high in the sky."

Makes you wonder what they're cooking up these days – although it seems a little bold to claim that "no one" believed it was possible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

There being a CIA twitter is really loving surreal.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"At this time, no one believed manned flight was possible above 60,000 feet, so no one expected to see an object so high in the sky."

Makes you wonder what they're cooking up these days – although it seems a little bold to claim that "no one" believed it was possible.

They still operate an upgraded version of the old U-2s, but since the 1970's they've focused almost all of their attention on signals interception and satellites.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

forbidden lesbian posted:

Their first tweet was perfect.
https://twitter.com/CIA/status/474971393852182528

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

forbidden lesbian posted:

During Israel's most recent brouhaha in Gaza, the IDF and Hamas traded insults over twitter. So that's a thing.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Truly, the internet has granted us the ability to see geopolitics unfold in 140 characters or less.

On another note, does anyone have a link to the Continental Congress' bar tab? I remember an article or image floating around of a rather massive bar tab run up by the founding fathers while working on the US Constitution or the Declaration of Independence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Current status: sitting in an airport next to a man in his 20s who is wearing a Reagan / Bush '84 t-shirt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TLM3101 posted:

This has been an open secret for decades, but is this the first official confirmation? There's also a fun rumour that the Roswell Incident was a Soviet spy balloon, and not an American weather balloon.

There's a super-high-speed spyplane nicknamed Aurora that seems to be in development or active use. No official status, but there are photos of contrails characteristic of a hypersonic engine, recorded sonic booms that seem to come from a high-altitude plane at Mach 4, and some fuzzy photos and videos. Come to think of it, UFOs were a great cover story for the U2 program as well.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I was ranting about politics at work yesterday (bad idea) and one of my coworkers was like, "If I didn't know what you looked like and just heard what you were saying, I would have thought you were some kind of black liberal, like a black panther or something"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Current status: sitting in an airport next to a man in his 20s who is wearing a Reagan / Bush '84 t-shirt.
Is the college Conservative wearing a suit or a preppy yacht-club get-up?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

There's a super-high-speed spyplane nicknamed Aurora that seems to be in development or active use. No official status, but there are photos of contrails characteristic of a hypersonic engine, recorded sonic booms that seem to come from a high-altitude plane at Mach 4, and some fuzzy photos and videos. Come to think of it, UFOs were a great cover story for the U2 program as well.
AFAIK this has been roundly dismissed as a myth. But I'm interested – why would they need another spyplane when our satellites are this good?

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

rscott posted:

I was ranting about politics at work yesterday (bad idea) and one of my coworkers was like, "If I didn't know what you looked like and just heard what you were saying, I would have thought you were some kind of black liberal, like a black panther or something"

What were you talking about? That seems oddly specific as well as being too anachronistic to be coming out of left field.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

ufarn posted:

He's going more for the beach bro look with salmon colored shorts and flip flops.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Maybe he's from Orange County

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AFAIK this has been roundly dismissed as a myth. But I'm interested – why would they need another spyplane when our satellites are this good?

Planes can do things that satellites can't, like quickly going to cover a specific area and being over the right place at the right time. We don't know the specifications of spy satellites either, so it's pointless for me to speculate about precisely why they'd want a better spyplane. There is a proposal for a hypersonic spy drone called the SR-72, but the Air Force appears to prefer a cheaper proposal with lower speed and better endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So I guess if you used Tor or ever looked at their website you're now considered an extremist by the NSA. That's nice.

• Locked thread