Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm guessing from the fact that it's called "12 Angry Men" and the fact that the 17 listed cast members on IMDB are all male that it's going to be somewhat akin to "Glengarry Glen Ross" in that I'll really enjoy it but my wife will despise it. Anybody have experience showing it to girlfriends/wives and did they like it? Did these same women hate or enjoy "Glengarry Glen Ross?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm guessing from the fact that it's called "12 Angry Men" and the fact that the 17 listed cast members on IMDB are all male that it's going to be somewhat akin to "Glengarry Glen Ross" in that I'll really enjoy it but my wife will despise it. Anybody have experience showing it to girlfriends/wives and did they like it? Did these same women hate or enjoy "Glengarry Glen Ross?"

I'm guessing your guess is entirely wrong. Both movies are great and should/can be enjoyed regardless of the cast.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why, exactly, did she not like Glengarry Glen Ross? Because there were too many Y chromosomes onscreen at once?

Your wife is weird.

They're both fantastic films. I've never heard of anyone not thoroughly enjoying 12 Angry Men.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It's nowhere near as macho as Glengarry Glenn Ross.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

wafflesnsegways posted:

It's nowhere near as macho as Glengarry Glenn Ross.

Agreed. While he's written brilliant scripts, I wasn't really surprised when David Mamet went totally neocon nationalist - it fit with his theme of macho fantasies. Lumet, on the other hand, fills his work with a sense of justice and egalitarianism and a critique of power structures.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does your wife like The Expendables? Twelve Angry Men is a lot like The Expendables.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

No seriously, it's one of the best films ever. It's based on a play, I got to see that with George Wendt (Norm from cheers). It's cool because it's all dialog driven. There's literally two sets. The juror's room and the elevator. She'll enjoy it unless she's broken.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Deadite posted:

Does your wife like The Expendables? Twelve Angry Men is a lot like The Expendables.

Great, now I really want the cast of The Expendables to do a remake of 12 Angry Men.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kazil posted:

Great, now I really want the cast of The Expendables to do a remake of 12 Angry Men.
Wouldn't that just entail 2 hours of them making fun of Jet Li - the only legitimate badass in the movie?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is the most important part of 12 Angry Men. Think carefully about whether you want to know this before or after watching it.

That one guy is the voice of Piglet.

Anne Whateley has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

She doesn't have to like 12 Angry Men, but hopefully she can appreciate it. It's like, cinematically "important", and unique.

I have a friend who's proud that she's never seen The Lord of the Rings trilogy nor the Star Wars trilogy. And I'm always like, "Yeah, go ahead and don't see LotR; but Star Wars is an important film, as they go; and if it's because you just don't like the genre, you're really missing out."

To the thread topic, I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still and Anatomy of a Murder recently. I thought anatomy of a murder was a bit dry, but Jimmy Stewart is always entertaining to watch. Does anyone have recommendations of notable black-and-white movies? I don't know much about the ones on Netflix, but I'm really in the mood for them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

She doesn't have to like 12 Angry Men, but hopefully she can appreciate it. It's like, cinematically "important", and unique.

I have a friend who's proud that she's never seen The Lord of the Rings trilogy nor the Star Wars trilogy. And I'm always like, "Yeah, go ahead and don't see LotR; but Star Wars is an important film, as they go; and if it's because you just don't like the genre, you're really missing out."

To the thread topic, I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still and Anatomy of a Murder recently. I thought anatomy of a murder was a bit dry, but Jimmy Stewart is always entertaining to watch. Does anyone have recommendations of notable black-and-white movies? I don't know much about the ones on Netflix, but I'm really in the mood for them.

Actually star wars isn't very good except for episode 4 and that's because Lucas had the least hand in it. Lotr the movies are not really necessary although it is an important set of novels.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

coyo7e posted:

Actually star wars isn't very good except for episode 4 and that's because Lucas had the least hand in it. Lotr the movies are not really necessary although it is an important set of novels.

You mean Ep 5, Empire? Yeah, for sure. Regardless, that movie and the A New Hope did a lot to change movie making in general, even if the acting and plot are so-so.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Lavender posted:

Just because something is important in the history of cinema doesn't mean someone has to watch it. Especially if they don't enjoy it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

kazil posted:

Just because something is important in the history of cinema doesn't mean someone has to watch it. Especially if they don't enjoy it.

Yeah, fine, great. It's just the "Oh, all sci-fi, fantasy, bloated trilogies aren't my thing", ignores a lot of value. I don't really GAF what people watch, but when they lump dissimilar things as one, I might just point that out.

Edit: I just brought it up because if someone said, "I don't want to see 12 Angry Men because I don't like movies with a lot of men and testosterone", you can point out that there's a lot more to the movie than that.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Jul 4, 2014

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of notable black-and-white movies? I don't know much about the ones on Netflix, but I'm really in the mood for them.

Oh man, that's a broad category. I don't know what else is on Netflix, but here are some from my queue.

I really, really love The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. One of my favorite westerns. For a western it's small in scope, no sweeping vistas. Just two men with very different principles who need to work together to stop a man with no principles.

His Girl Friday is a classic fast-talking comedy and romance. It's very charming, and it's got Cary Grant at his best. Its gender politics are insane, though, so you have to be able to disagree with a movie's worldview and enjoy it at the same time.

Double Indemnity is the ultimate of a certain kind of bleak noir movie. One of those movies that will constantly have you saying to yourself "oh, that's where that's from." Personally, I don't love it as much as I do the Humphrey Bogart detective movies, which are my favorite noir films. But it's very different from those, almost in a different genre, and a classic in its own right.

The Bicycle Thief is an Italian movie set in Italy's post-WWII depression. It's about a bicycle messenger who's bike, his only means of making any money at all, is stolen, and he and his son go looking for the person who stole it. It's sad and funny, but mostly sad. Really sad.

The African Queen is extremely lightweight but really charming and entertaining. (Also not actually black and white, but from the early 50s.) It runs entirely on old-hollywood movie star charisma between Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. It also has one of the funniest Hays Code metaphorical "sex scenes" I've ever scene - think "train going into a tunnel" but even sillier. It's a good movie to watch with a lady friend.

I'll also throw in a conditional recommendation for the earlier Hitchcock movie The Lady Vanishes. It has some great scenes but is a little slow and lumpy overall. If you are already a big Hitchcock fan it's definitely worth watching, but if you're not, I wouldn't start there.

And another weak recommendation for The House on Haunted Hill. Great 1950s horror atmosphere, schlocky skeletons, Vincent Price, the works. Not actually a good movie, though. Something to put on in the background when friends are over and you want a conversation piece.

wafflesnsegways has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Jul 4, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

His Girl Friday is a classic fast-talking comedy and romance. It's very charming, and it's got Cary Grant at his best. Its gender politics are insane, though, so you have to be able to disagree with a movie's worldview and enjoy it at the same time.

While it starts out as a classic fast-talking comedy and romance it really changes tone quickly. It becomes almost serious at times. Yeah, there is a romance element, but it isn't sappy. What's really interesting is the plot surrounding the story that they're trying to get written. I won't spoil it here but it was interesting how progressive it was for the time. I really recommend it.

VVV Well, it is a movie from 1940. One just has to assume that there will be a fair share of misogyny and racism. As far as movies of that time period goes it wasn't that bad.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Jul 4, 2014

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, I only mentioned the gender politics because the movie really encourages you to think about it. It was adapted from a play about two men, and they made one of the characters a woman and added a romance, which as you said isn't the whole plot.

So yeah, it really is progressive in some ways and not at all in others. The female lead has a lot more authority and willpower than many movies of that time. And she has lots of character traits other than "attractive lady". But at the same time, the gender stuff is ultimately kind of a muddled mix. It really is a great movie despite that, though. I only mention it so people know to expect it going in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

You mean Ep 5, Empire? Yeah, for sure. Regardless, that movie and the A New Hope did a lot to change movie making in general, even if the acting and plot are so-so.

Oops. I'm bad at counting.. :ughh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of notable black-and-white movies? I don't know much about the ones on Netflix, but I'm really in the mood for them.
It was filmed in color in 1958 but The Long, Hot Summer is a really outstanding film, which was filmed back when Paul Newman was probably one of the sexiest men on earth AND he was still playing bad-boy roles. Bonus points if you can understand any loving line that Orson Welles speaks throughout the movie - he mostly sounds like Foghorn Leghorn and looks like Colonel Sanders.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

I haven't tried it but you could give Turner Classic Movies a look through.
http://tcm.com/watchtcm/movies/
They don't have much but maybe you'll find something. I caught the first half of Death of a Scoundrel the other day and i enjoyed it a lot. Don't know if that's on netflix but it is on the TCM site.

EDIT: I just tried it out and it looks like you need to have a cable subscription. I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Also, Death of a Scoundrel isn't on Netflix.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 4, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

My two favourite movies of all time are black and white: Sunset Boulevard and Some Like It Hot. Of course neither is available to stream at the moment. :mad:

edit: Oh man The Apartment is available! You should watch it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

"Duck Soup", the original "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" and "Battleship Potemkin" are black and white classics that are available to stream on Netflix right now.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

HopperUK posted:

My two favourite movies of all time are black and white: Sunset Boulevard and Some Like It Hot. Of course neither is available to stream at the moment. :mad:

edit: Oh man The Apartment is available! You should watch it.

Gah, Sunset Boulevard was just up on Netflix streaming and I put off rewatching it. :mad: I've only seen it once, and that was by accident- had the tv on TCM while I was doing something else and got totally sucked in.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just saw that 1941 is streaming now; my favorite Spielberg movie.

:allears:

-Jim Belushi
-Dan Aykroyd
-Christopher Lee
-John Candy
-John Landis
-Mickey Rourke
-Ned Beatty
-Slim Pickens
-Robert Stack
-Tim Mattheson
-Treat Williams
-James Caan

It's the quintessential 80's comedy...set in 1941.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

wafflesnsegways posted:

His Girl Friday
Double Indemnity
The African Queen
The Lady Vanishes
The House on Haunted Hill

Wow, do you have any more recommendations? Because those are some of my favorites right there.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Prof. Numbers posted:

Wow, do you have any more recommendations? Because those are some of my favorites right there.

Haha, awesome. :cool::hf::cool:

Since you asked, let me see what else I've seen...

Based on that list, what about Paper Moon? It's from the 1970s, and its a semi-nostalgic look back at the 1930s, from a director who really venerated the directors from the time period of movies you listed. It follows a young girl who finds the con man who might be her father, and teams up with him. Really sweet, nice movie. I'm not a big fan of the director Peter Bogdonavich generally, but I really like this one.

Like Zwabu mentioned, the 50s Invasion of the Body Snatchers is very good. It's not as schlocky as the name might suggest - it's actually a solid sic-fi thriller. Depending on who you ask, it's either about the horrors of communism, or the horrors of McCarthyism. Either way it's worth watching.

Also like Zwabu mentioned, Duck Soup is wonderful. Pure evil joy in movie form.

I've never seen The Apartment or El Dorado, but I think I need to. Anything by Billy Wilder or Howard Hawks must be worth watching, and I've heard lots of great things about both. And I know that El Dorado's theme song is bonkers.

And as long as I'm going through Netflix's movies from the 60s and 70s, let me type up a few others that got under my skin:

I love, love, love Charley Varick. It's a hard-rear end crime movie starring Walter Matthau(!) and directed by Don Siegel, immediately after he directed Dirty Harry. Kind of feels like an Elmore Leonard story. Great acting, tons of personality in the movie, all delivered very drily. It's an action movie for grown-ups. It's meant to be entertaining and exciting, but it expects the audience to be smart enough to keep up.

In a similar vein, The Long Good Friday is a strong british crime movie. Bob Hoskins is a London mob boss, and someone keeps trying to have him killed. It's a good movie overall, but Bob Hoskins pushes it up several notches from there. It's really fun to watch him in this. I had to turn on the subtitles at times due to the London accents.

Here's a third crime movie: The Long Goodbye is a lovable, shaggy mess of a 70s update of a 30s noir story. It must have been a big inspiration for The Big Lebowski. I think this movie has come up in this thread a few times before.

Zulu is a rock-solid war movie. One of those war movies where you really get to see what's happening in the battle: how the British fort is shaped, how they're defending it, and how the Zulus are attacking it. It's an early Michael Caine movie, and he's great as always.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is not the best movie ever, but it might be the coolest movie ever. It's very cinematic, with lots of long, wordless sequences. The scenes slowly, slowly build up, until they spill into incredible violence. So you have to pay close attention to the movie to enjoy it. If you're looking at your phone or wandering in and out, you won't get much out of it. Put aside 3 hours, get a bottle of something, make an evening of it, and its fantastic.

The French Connection isn't streaming, but The French Connection II is. I think the original French Connection is one of the best action movies of all time, and that's hard to compete with. The sequel isn't on the same level as the first. But it's still stands on its own merits. Honestly, thinking about it now, all I really remember is loving the ending. But what a way to end a movie!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Also, all of the Twilight Zone is up on Netflix. It's a little uneven, but when it's great, it's great. Maybe later, I'll type up some of my favorite episodes. But I definitely haven't seen all of them, and many of them I haven't seen in years. I'd definitely be interested in reading Twilight Zone episode recommendations.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Did anyone mention that Frankenstein's Army is up? Cause I just got through it and it has the most insane monster/zombie/nazi/robot designs I've ever seen. Only word of caution is that if you can't stand found footage films you may not want to check this one out.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

fork bomb posted:

Gah, Sunset Boulevard was just up on Netflix streaming and I put off rewatching it. :mad: I've only seen it once, and that was by accident- had the tv on TCM while I was doing something else and got totally sucked in.

I absolutely love Sunset Boulevard. A delicious poison feast of a movie.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wafflesnsegways posted:

Double Indemnity is the ultimate of a certain kind of bleak noir movie. One of those movies that will constantly have you saying to yourself "oh, that's where that's from." Personally, I don't love it as much as I do the Humphrey Bogart detective movies, which are my favorite noir films. But it's very different from those, almost in a different genre, and a classic in its own right.

Double Indemnity is a ridiculously good film. While it is (according to film scholars) a film noir classic, it doesn't focus on a brooding private detective like lots of other films in the genre. Adultery and lots of good, old-fashioned avarice are present, though!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, there's definitely two very different archetypical noir stories. First kind follows a flawed but decent detective as he navigates the underworld. The second follows a morally weak but somewhat sympathetic dude as he gets pulled into the muck. Double Indemnity is the second kind.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

I love, love, love Charley Varick. It's a hard-rear end crime movie starring Walter Matthau(!) and directed by Don Siegel, immediately after he directed Dirty Harry. Kind of feels like an Elmore Leonard story. Great acting, tons of personality in the movie, all delivered very drily. It's an action movie for grown-ups. It's meant to be entertaining and exciting, but it expects the audience to be smart enough to keep up.

In a similar vein, The Long Good Friday is a strong british crime movie. Bob Hoskins is a London mob boss, and someone keeps trying to have him killed. It's a good movie overall, but Bob Hoskins pushes it up several notches from there. It's really fun to watch him in this. I had to turn on the subtitles at times due to the London accents.

Here's a third crime movie: The Long Goodbye is a lovable, shaggy mess of a 70s update of a 30s noir story. It must have been a big inspiration for The Big Lebowski. I think this movie has come up in this thread a few times before.

Along the same idea, Twilight (yeah I know) is a decent updating of a noir story with Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon, and Paul Newman. It's a bit overwrought but if you like the genre, you'll probably dig it.

If you feel like reading, check out Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. It's basically The Big Lebowski written by, well, Thomos Pynchon and set in the 60s so a bit like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets The Big Lebowski. It didn't get the greatest reviews but it's a lot more accessible than something like Gravity's Rainbow. Wikipedia says Paul Thomas Anderson is supposed to direct a movie with Pynchon's blessing, so that could be kind of amazing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wafflesnsegways posted:

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is not the best movie ever, but it might be the coolest movie ever. It's very cinematic, with lots of long, wordless sequences. The scenes slowly, slowly build up, until they spill into incredible violence. So you have to pay close attention to the movie to enjoy it. If you're looking at your phone or wandering in and out, you won't get much out of it. Put aside 3 hours, get a bottle of something, make an evening of it, and its fantastic.
just FYI, Eli Wallach (Tuco) passed away 2 or 3 weeks back at age 98.

And I loved Frankenstein's Army, its super crazy and some people in this thread hated it but its a blast and funny as heck.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

coyo7e posted:

just FYI, Eli Wallach (Tuco) passed away 2 or 3 weeks back at age 98.

And I loved Frankenstein's Army, its super crazy and some people in this thread hated it but its a blast and funny as heck.

I watched Machete Kills last week, and the guy who plays Mendez is a dead ringer for Tuco. I had to look it up to make sure they're not related.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

fleshy echidna posted:

Did anyone mention that Frankenstein's Army is up? Cause I just got through it and it has the most insane monster/zombie/nazi/robot designs I've ever seen. Only word of caution is that if you can't stand found footage films you may not want to check this one out.

I couldn't do Frankenstein's Army. Too much of it felt like watching someone else play a FPS.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So far, I'm half way through Frankenstein's Army. I'm not a horror fan but so far it's goofy fun. The editing is a little weird and all that but so far it's a fun ride. And not that gross considering. I'm sure that'll change…

EDIT: I say "so far" a lot".

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jul 9, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I've been using InstantWatcher http://instantwatcher.com/ to find new things. I watched Masquerade last night. Hoooooly poo poo it was beautiful. The sets and costuming were great, the actors charismatic, perfect balance of cheeky and emotional.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The movie Lawless was a lot better than I expected. I have to be honest and say I am a sucker for "gangster" movies set in the 20-30's but I put this one off for so long because it stars Shia Labeouf. Anyways it's about some backwoods bootleggers during the prohibition era and some new sheriff comes into town and tries to clean it up. Definitely worth checking out. Anyone have any recommendations based on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

casual poster posted:

The movie Lawless was a lot better than I expected. I have to be honest and say I am a sucker for "gangster" movies set in the 20-30's but I put this one off for so long because it stars Shia Labeouf. Anyways it's about some backwoods bootleggers during the prohibition era and some new sheriff comes into town and tries to clean it up. Definitely worth checking out. Anyone have any recommendations based on that?

Miller's "Motherfucking" Crossing which is probably the best Coen Brothers movie that nobody knows about.

• Locked thread