Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The funniest thing is how many people forget that Grimdark is meant to be a pejorative, or at least a marker that a setting or story is grim to the degree that it's silly, and insist grimdark makes games totally mature and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Davin Valkri posted:

STALKER may be dark, but it's not, like, GRIMdark. The Zone is crazy, but it's as much a place of scientific wonder as it is a place of extreme danger. And for all the inter-faction fighting everybody likes kicking back in the alcohol oases and drinking vodka.

You don't get to be a beautiful anime man by slogging around in radioactive mud and eating stacks of questionable salami ten at a time, though.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

grassy gnoll posted:

You don't get to be a beautiful anime man by slogging around in radioactive mud and eating stacks of questionable salami ten at a time, though.

I dunno, man, Major Degtyarev from the third game doesn't look too bad at all.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I dunno, man, Major Degtyarev from the third game doesn't look too bad at all.

*apps a bishie, is killed by russian neo-nazis an hour in*

такова жизнь в зоне~

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Forums Terrorist posted:

*apps a bishie, is killed by russian neo-nazis an hour in*

...have you been reading DocBubonic's games? :catstare:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Halloween Jack posted:

When I actually went back and read Roadside Picnic I was like, "Oh, dungeoncrawlers are harvesting magic artifacts."

Then I watched Darker Than Black, which is the midpoint between Roadside Picnic and Double Cross.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

...have you been reading DocBubonic's games? :catstare:

No, but this sounds great. Do tell. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

Then I watched Darker Than Black, which is the midpoint between Roadside Picnic and Double Cross.

And is a very good show.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Has anyone ever made a decent STALKER RPG? Because the setting seems just goddamn perfect for one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I keep thinking about media I've consumed and how to run games in their settings. Have I been lost to elf games?

E: Unrelated to above post.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Forums Terrorist posted:

No, but this sounds great. Do tell. :allears:

Well, his first Bishie died the first scene of the game because he decided to run off into a thick fog after hearing a cry for help. I think most people in the game knew it was a set up. Davin's bishie ran right into the trap I set and his character had his throat torn out by a monster lurking in the fog.

I felt bad for Davin because his character died so early in the game. So things happened and a new version of his first character joined the game. The game involves parallel earths, so it was easy to say this was a different Earth's version of his character. After Davin's new character joined the group, the group went on a mission to a parallel earth where everyone died because of a gamma ray blast from space. While investigating a university on this world, Interdimensional magic Nazis appeared. Of course a fight broke out. The fight happened in a hallway. After the PCs slaughtered the Nazi wolf-dogs charging at them with a hail of gun fire, the Nazis weren't too keen on charging into an ambush. The Nazis tossed a grenade down the hallway. The Bishie and another character got hit by the grenade's shrapnel. The Bishie avoided most of the damage and ducked into an alcove. The other PC wasn't so lucky and they fell down in the middle of the floor of the hallway. Right after the grenade got tossed down the hallway, the Nazis hosed the hallway with gun fire. Davin's Bishie decided to play hero and ran out to rescue his downed comrade. Davin didn't choose the best course of action in this situation. Davin's character ended up getting shot several times. His character nearly died, but he got better.

Moral of the story is that GURPS combat can be lethal.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Has anyone ever made a decent STALKER RPG? Because the setting seems just goddamn perfect for one.

There's one that came out in 2011, but it's diceless and from my read of it I'm not too hot on it. I'll probably just hack GRUNT like I do for anything involving existential terror and light crunch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Not specifically but Aftermath is tailor made for it even though the rules are FGU standard (Amazingly complex, confusing and unbelievably riddled with typos.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I like how you capitalize "Bishie" like it's some kind of title or position, like all parties should have a "Bishie" as they have a "Rogue" or "Wizard".

Also I just realized the weirdest part of the second "rescue". The person he was trying to save from the gunfire didn't get hit once. Were they just not aiming for her or does my bad luck with FATE dice carry over to GURPS ones?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Winson, in recognition of Smilin' Sammy G and the Truly excellent 13 True Ways, please make 13th Age the game of the month.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Davin Valkri posted:

I like how you capitalize "Bishie" like it's some kind of title or position, like all parties should have a "Bishie" as they have a "Rogue" or "Wizard".

Also I just realized the weirdest part of the second "rescue". The person he was trying to save from the gunfire didn't get hit once. Were they just not aiming for her or does my bad luck with FATE dice carry over to GURPS ones?

The bishounen is obviously a martial defender class, focused around stopping enemy movement and interrupting attacks of opportunity.

yaoi hands

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glazius posted:

The Quiet Year

Glazius, I want to thank you for sharing your story, as it made me aware of this game's existence. My group just got done with a session and we ended up playing this after I idly suggested it. We only got through spring (we started late and fumbled around a bit as we're an IRC group), but it was quite awesome and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Here is the map at the end of spring

We're a community of a hundred or so whose abundant resource is learning, namely a great collection of tomes written by the Before-Men. The tomes are studied and kept safe by the Before-Learners, sages of the village who are wise in the ways of The Before. At the edge of a crumbled city of ancient towers, we make our home. Our village was once a self storage yard where the intact storage lockers now provide individual homes. We store our food in the husk of a metal vessel once used by the Before-Men to transport liquid fire, but we want for stone, weapons, wild game, and medicine.

The region is one of hills and mountains, nearby landmarks are many. To the north east can be seen The Wall of the Before-Men, a partially collapsed hydro-electric dam and the lake beyond. To the west is an old Observatory, once home to a different sect of Before-Learners it seems, but they were slain and the place pillaged. It was not the Ash Dwellers, however, for the bodies and structure we not burned. Nearby to the north west sits The Castle Ruin. To the east looms Mount Karkum, a mighty spire who shields those at its base from the morning sun. To the south rises the Great Ash Volcano.

Threats to us exist. The Jackals have been driven away, but the Ash Dwellers reside at the Ash Volcano. They are an insular people who worship the volcano as a god of destruction. They are to be feared, they are not to be trusted, but we may yet avoid conflict with them unlike the Jackals. An ill omen was seen early in the Spring as one morning the skies turned blood red for a time. Fearful we kept our few scrawny livestock indoors for a few days afterwards.

To see to our defense we've trained a modest militia and somewhat domesticated nearby wild dogs. However in the event of a dire conflict our greatest (and perhaps only true) weapon against attack is the Ancient Lance, a great cannon the Before Learners have recently restored to use, though spearheads for it are scarce and we cannot be sure how accurate its use would be.

In addition we've begun plans to restore The Castle to some semblance of use as a new home, and thus have started quarrying stone near Mount Karkum. The Castle is seen by our people as a monument to what our ancestors the Before Men could accomplish, and remorseful reminder of how far we've fallen. Legend and rumor has it The Castle is occupied by a bearded, bare-foot man, though none among us can confirm his existence.

Recently the quarry work has unearthed a cave. A monster that was A-Man-Yet-Not-A-Man sprung from the cave, injuring one worker before the militia was able to dispatch it. Fearing more of these monsters, we hastily sealed the tunnel, and shifted our efforts, but we feel we cannot afford to find an entirely new place to quarry, so great is our need for this stone.

There have been a few minor internal conflicts, a traveler arrived, a young woman who tempted us with false promises that a beautiful land of plenty lay beyond the Ash Volcano. The Before-Learners declared her anathema and arbitrarily exiled those few of us who supported her suggestion of a migration past the Ash Dweller's territory. Many in the village felt this decision was too harsh and that we should've reasoned with those lead astray by this Siren. We mourned our lost fellows, though a few feared we were becoming as insular as the Ash Dwellers themselves.

A possible relief for our lack of food has arisen in strange new mushrooms we've noticed growing nearby, and currently we work to see if they are safely edible and can be farmed. Other than that things are quiet and work continues, the only minor drama being a squabble between two of the levy, when one young man struck another for abandoning his post to be with his lover. The youngster seems to have understood his error and is making amends, but thus far remains ostracized somewhat.

Thus ends Spring. We hope to begin the long process of rebuilding The Castle by midsummer, may it shelter us from that yet to come.

In short, The Quiet Year owns. Everyone was pleasantly surprised at how cool and fun it was. It has a very "King of Dragon Pass" feel to it IMO. I'm tempted to start up a play by post of it as I feel this is one game that might actually be well suited to the format.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where did you get this Quiet Year and where can I, too, acquire this game? This sounds like my kind of thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Quiet Year is a neat little collaborative world-building/storytelling game, not really a traditional RPG.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

Winson, in recognition of Smilin' Sammy G and the Truly excellent 13 True Ways, please make 13th Age the game of the month.

By the way, if anyone wants a poster of Sammy G, talk to the artist!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And is a very good show.

As long as you can ignore war crimes against the English language, I guess.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm trying to decide if I should launch the Retrocausality Kickstarter first or Breakfast Cult (my FAE cosmic horror/high-school-kids-murdering-each-other game). :negative:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Night10194 posted:

Where did you get this Quiet Year and where can I, too, acquire this game? This sounds like my kind of thing.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Quiet Year is a neat little collaborative world-building/storytelling game, not really a traditional RPG.

That's it, I'm going to go make a game room thread - The Quiet Year is something that should work really well as a forums game, as it needs minimal imput and works in turns.

I'll let you know when the thread is up - although we can only have 4 players a game, I can see no problem with having multiple games running in the same thread, as long as someone in each game has access to a deck of cards!

(Yes, this is on top of my two lp's and two RPG nights. Free time? Who needs it.)

EDIT : the game is up HERE

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647705

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 3, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

That's it, I'm going to go make a game room thread - The Quiet Year is something that should work really well as a forums game, as it needs minimal imput and works in turns.

I'll let you know when the thread is up - although we can only have 4 players a game, I can see no problem with having multiple games running in the same thread, as long as someone in each game has access to a deck of cards!

(Yes, this is on top of my two lp's and two RPG nights. Free time? Who needs it.)

Please do this. I love The Quiet Year and want to actually finish a game for once.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ibntumart posted:

Please do this. I love The Quiet Year and want to actually finish a game for once.

I edited the thread into my post. To avoid double posting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So I was joking with one of my friends about how the Matrix is based on a very 90s idea of computers and hackers that can do anything, and imagining a medieval parody where literacy is the equivalent of programming as a rare and powerful skill, people who learn to read and write can perceive that the underlying "source code" of the world is textual narrative which can be manipulated by writing, movable type is a ruthlessly suppressed technology, fairies serve a similar role as Agents by controlling society through playing out predefined roles and archetypes and identifying literate deviants when they recognize and defy the story being played out...and around this time I stop laughing and go "wait, this is actually really cool."

I proceeded to re-read a setting I wrote up for the July contest last year with a sort of similar premise, and now I have a burning need to run The Matrix meets The Secret of Kells with rogue literates fighting the Man and hacking the planet with illuminated manuscripts in a surreal "Mythic Europe" type setting. I guess my question is, has "textpunk" been used yet?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

people who learn to read and write can perceive that the underlying "source code" of the world is textual narrative which can be manipulated by writing
Isn't this pretty much the akashic records?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kellsterik posted:

So I was joking with one of my friends about how the Matrix is based on a very 90s idea of computers and hackers that can do anything, and imagining a medieval parody where literacy is the equivalent of programming as a rare and powerful skill, people who learn to read and write can perceive that the underlying "source code" of the world is textual narrative which can be manipulated by writing, movable type is a ruthlessly suppressed technology, fairies serve a similar role as Agents by controlling society through playing out predefined roles and archetypes and identifying literate deviants when they recognize and defy the story being played out...and around this time I stop laughing and go "wait, this is actually really cool."

I proceeded to re-read a setting I wrote up for the July contest last year with a sort of similar premise, and now I have a burning need to run The Matrix meets The Secret of Kells with rogue literates fighting the Man and hacking the planet with illuminated manuscripts in a surreal "Mythic Europe" type setting. I guess my question is, has "textpunk" been used yet?

So a play on Gnosticism where the key to Wisdom/Gnosis lies in being able to read a hidden larger text, and readers (literati?) are Neo-like actors who can understand how to manipulate the text and insert their own writings/alterations to reality? That actually does sound kind of cool.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

Isn't this pretty much the akashic records?

I was picturing something more Biblical for a medieval Europe setting to play on the monks=literacy and books connection as a larger theme, but pretty much yeah.

ibntumart posted:

So a play on Gnosticism where the key to Wisdom/Gnosis lies in being able to read a hidden larger text, and readers (literati?) are Neo-like actors who can understand how to manipulate the text and insert their own writings/alterations to reality? That actually does sound kind of cool.

Exactly, although where i'm at now is deciding whether I would want to play it as that sort of high-level Umberto Eco cerebral tone or more of a Harry Potter "we're trapped, rewrite this room so it has a door!" light and goofy adventure.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sounds kind of like the text adventure Counterfeit Monkey, by Emily Short. (Highly recommended if you like text adventures and wordplay.)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kellsterik posted:

This is, no lie, the actual plot of the anime Princess Tutu.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Princess Tutu (プリンセスチュチュ Purinsesu Chuchu) is a metafictional, ballet-themed magical girl, dramatic-musical anime series

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Princess Tutu is amazing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I just...I don't know any more.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

This man speaks truth.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Waffleman_ posted:

I keep thinking about media I've consumed and how to run games in their settings. Have I been lost to elf games?

E: Unrelated to above post.

D E H U M A N I Z E
Y O U R S E L F
A N D F A C E T O
N E R D

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So apparently the D&D Basic set has a "thank you" to RPGPundit at the end. I don't have screenshots but Adam Keobel mentioned it on G+.

Seriously, gently caress this hobby.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just play good games and stop touching the poop, problem solved

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I'm completely done with D&D now thanks to this, yeah.

The problem is that they just legitimized one of the most toxic people in the hobby in what's the "flagship" game of said hobby, like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Kellsterik posted:

So ... how-literary-critics-see-themselves the game?

• Locked thread