Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, so, I've just finished SGA S3 (including part one of the 'drifting through space' season finale) and I'm wondering if I should put it on hold while I wait for the movies to arrive and watch them before continuing, since some posts on the forum I was linked to previously on 'gateworld' suggested doing that, but other posts contradicted it a little by having the movies viewed partway into the next season.

So, what should I do here? Does it really matter which order I view SGA/the movies in? Like, does 'The Ark of Truth' occur while Atlantis is still in space, or before then, or? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, so, I've just finished SGA S3 (including part one of the 'drifting through space' season finale) and I'm wondering if I should put it on hold while I wait for the movies to arrive and watch them before continuing, since some posts on the forum I was linked to previously on 'gateworld' suggested doing that, but other posts contradicted it a little by having the movies viewed partway into the next season.

So, what should I do here? Does it really matter which order I view SGA/the movies in? Like, does 'The Ark of Truth' occur while Atlantis is still in space, or before then, or? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I don't even recall the movies mentioning Atlantis, they are solely an SG-1 thing so as long as you have SG-1 finished then you can watch them anytime you like really.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah both movies are entirely independent of Atlantis so it really doesn't matter.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thom12255 posted:

I don't even recall the movies mentioning Atlantis, they are solely an SG-1 thing so as long as you have SG-1 finished then you can watch them anytime you like really.

If you're going hardcore in order of everything, then it should be SG-1 S10 > Ark of Truth > Atlantis Season 4 > first episode of Atlantis season 5 > Continuum. Ark of Truth is just when they finish the Ori stuff, then Carter goes over to Atlantis for a season, and then at the end of the first episode of season 5 she's called back for the events of Continuum.

In the end, though, it's not gonna hurt anything if you watch them out of order.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright excellent, I guess I'll just keep watching SGA S4 until the movies arrive (seeing as AoT seems to just be 'after SG1 S10 but before Continuum') then watch Continuum once I hit the end of S4, which'll probably be about the same time as it gets here, heh.

Thanks all

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Finally had The Ark of Truth and Continuum delivered to me and TAOT seems good so far, but what's with all the shaky camerawork? Didn't they have enough money left over in the budget after getting all those suits of armour and explosives to buy a few tripods? :D Hopefully it's only for these close-up scenes like the one I'm currently watching (Cam meeting the IOA new guy) and not for the duration of the film..

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They saved all the cool for Continuum. That is the good movie of the two.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey what happened to the farscape thread?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

It got merged into the Trek and Gate threads, apparently.

EDIT: And occasionally the B5 thread.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Star Trek thread occasionally becomes the "every show that's not Stargate or B5" thread.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Every once in a while Farscape shows up out of nowhere in other scifi threads like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coF-opzhXuc&t=420s

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Has it been gone for a while? Probably one of the locked aatrek ones and no-ones started a new one.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
As a note, Joe Flanigan showing up on Major Crimes was honestly pretty :lol: on the basis of personal reaction alone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Senor Tron posted:

Has it been gone for a while? Probably one of the locked aatrek ones and no-ones started a new one.

It fell into the archives long ago but with the rumors of a new movie a new thread might be in order.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

It fell into the archives long ago but with the rumors of a new movie a new thread might be in order.

Rumors of a new movie? Where are these rumors coming from? CITE YOUR SOURCES MAN! (big farscape fan, if you couldn't tell)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: Nevermind!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

mcswizzle posted:

Rumors of a new movie? Where are these rumors coming from? CITE YOUR SOURCES MAN! (big farscape fan, if you couldn't tell)

They're looking to reboot the movie into a new franchise built on the movie's universe.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stargate-Reboot-Based-Original-Trilogy-Plans-Franchise-43679.html

As an aside, I never finished Atlantis when it originally aired - dropped out sometime shortly after S2 started. I've been re-watching and am on the fourth episode. I think this is about where I dropped off, because I recall it was shortly after Ford goes rogue.

Goddamn, I remember loving Stargate but I'd forgotten what it feels like to have a TV show you look forward to watching. And since the last time I watched ANY Stargate was when it originally aired, it is all incredibly fresh. I'll have to get to SGU eventually (I couldn't make it past the pilot when it aired, and I loved BSG - it just felt like a cheap clone), but luckily I've got plenty of SGA remaining.

Edit: Oh, how did I miss the (farscape fan) originally? Leaving it up for posterity.

McGann fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 3, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

McGann posted:

They're looking to reboot the movie into a new franchise built on the movie's universe.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stargate-Reboot-Based-Original-Trilogy-Plans-Franchise-43679.html

This is what my post above was saying, before I realized that they were talking about Farscape.

(Which, I looked it up, and there do seem to be rumors of a new Farscape movie!)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Amanda Tapping is a biker chick IRL

The quality of my life is higher now that I have this information. Thank you, Stargate thread.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

This is what my post above was saying, before I realized that they were talking about Farscape.

(Which, I looked it up, and there do seem to be rumors of a new Farscape movie!)

Yeah I did some google-fu after I posted that and found an article about it. Excited to see where it goes! Not as excited about the Stargate reboot.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

McGann posted:

As an aside, I never finished Atlantis when it originally aired - dropped out sometime shortly after S2 started. I've been re-watching and am on the fourth episode. I think this is about where I dropped off, because I recall it was shortly after Ford goes rogue.

Goddamn, I remember loving Stargate but I'd forgotten what it feels like to have a TV show you look forward to watching. And since the last time I watched ANY Stargate was when it originally aired, it is all incredibly fresh. I'll have to get to SGU eventually (I couldn't make it past the pilot when it aired, and I loved BSG - it just felt like a cheap clone), but luckily I've got plenty of SGA remaining.

Edit: Oh, how did I miss the (farscape fan) originally? Leaving it up for posterity.

SGU actually gets really really good... then gets cancelled abruptly. I think it becomes better than Atlantis, actually. SGU has several of the best time travel story lines in the stargate universe. It sets up a really interesting mythology (which ties into one of the time travel stories). It avoids the stargate/startrek style wagon-train-in-space, planet-of-the-week aliens-that-are-really-just-humans stuff, and it definitely veers away from BSG the longer you go and the characters come into their own.

Basically it's a huge bummer it got cancelled. It took as long as the other stargate shows to find its feet because instead of sticking to the formula it was trying something different, but Syfy/MGM didn't want something new and weren't willing to give it the time it needed--they just wanted some reliable income from the reliable formula. I'm pretty sure, though, that now they're kicking themselves since fantasy and sci fi are becoming popular on TV again, and they have to start from scratch on a bunch of poo poo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

DirtyRobot posted:

SGU actually gets really really good... then gets cancelled abruptly. I think it becomes better than Atlantis, actually. SGU has several of the best time travel story lines in the stargate universe. It sets up a really interesting mythology (which ties into one of the time travel stories). It avoids the stargate/startrek style wagon-train-in-space, planet-of-the-week aliens-that-are-really-just-humans stuff, and it definitely veers away from BSG the longer you go and the characters come into their own.

Basically it's a huge bummer it got cancelled. It took as long as the other stargate shows to find its feet because instead of sticking to the formula it was trying something different, but Syfy/MGM didn't want something new and weren't willing to give it the time it needed--they just wanted some reliable income from the reliable formula. I'm pretty sure, though, that now they're kicking themselves since fantasy and sci fi are becoming popular on TV again, and they have to start from scratch on a bunch of poo poo.

Yeah SGU gets crapped on a lot in this thread but I think that it was the best iteration of the SG franchise. By the end of season 2 they had pretty much nailed down the show and I bet season 3 was going to be amazing (rumors where it was going to pick up 10 years later after the Stargate program had gone public).

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
The last half of the 2nd season of SGU was incredibly compelling Sci-Fi and actually had a Stargate-y feel to it once they started to get along and like each other. Everyone accepting Destiny's true mission helped too. God drat, what a show that could have been if it ended up having 5 seasons or so.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

but Syfy/MGM didn't want something new and weren't willing to give it the time it needed--they just wanted some reliable income from the reliable formula. I'm pretty sure, though, that now they're kicking themselves since fantasy and sci fi are becoming popular on TV again, and they have to start from scratch on a bunch of poo poo.

Someone in this thread said that the SGU actually didn't have that much network pressure, and that while its ratings were declining, it still brought in enough money to justify its timeslot.

The show just got shafted due to MGM being a mess during the bankruptcy proceedings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Joe Mallozzi goes into it quite a bit in his blog way back in the day. Basically it was part MGM due to the bankruptcy, and partly Syfy wanting to have everything be BSGish. Apparently they let up on that in season 2, which is why it was much better.

I'm actually more pissed about Syfy canceling SG1 to save money for Universe. The showrunners big plan was do SG1 for another 4 or 5 years, end that with the movies, and then have Atlantis and SGU run concurrently.

Joe has been alluding to "getting the team back together" on a new scifi show he is working on. What that is hasn't been announced yet. I'm kind of hoping it's the Dark Matter comic series he wrote.

His blog: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

The showrunners big plan was do SG1 for another 4 or 5 years

Man, SG1 wasn't bad but by the end it was really long in the tooth; 5 more years of it would definitely be running it into the ground territory...

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

WarLocke posted:

Man, SG1 wasn't bad but by the end it was really long in the tooth; 5 more years of it would definitely be running it into the ground territory...

Yeah - I seem to remember the back half of season 10 had a noticeable (if slight) uptick in quality, and while it didn't feel like it needed to end there, I can't imagine it running to season 15. Tapping and Shanks would almost definitely have left. I feel like Judge would have happily played Teal'c for the rest of his life, however. :3:

Also, I'm not entirely sure of the wisdom of the showrunners planning year after year for each season to be the last, and then introducing a new "big bad" in season 9 and planning seven years ahead. Especially when they themselves have said that, year-on-year, the cast (and crew?) salaries continue to rise, making the show less financially feasible (and less tolerant to ratings dips, I guess?).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The plan was to do a 5 year set contract during season 10 where costs would be maintained.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

GreenNight posted:

The plan was to do a 5 year set contract during season 10 where costs would be maintained.

This is so painful to read since it didn't happen.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Boy, the killing of Beckett came out of nowhere. Of course, I had it spoiled shortly after that he returns in clone form, anyway so who cares. But I did get teary-eyed at the end of that ep, way to squander that emotion!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Her logic for this was that if there was anything other than ice on the planet then the Stargate would be there instead. Thus it's either an ice planet or a planet under going an ice age.

To be fair, they had a habit of putting Stargates in ridiculous places. Space gates...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair, they had a habit of putting Stargates in ridiculous places. Space gates...

But those are to fly ships through, so it's not really ridiculous? Also there weren't any of those in our galaxy, those first show up in Atlantis.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

But those are to fly ships through, so it's not really ridiculous? Also there weren't any of those in our galaxy, those first show up in Atlantis.

Except even without a puddle jumper you can use a Space Gate, so presumably a load of people have died gateing to them.

EDIT: I guess its less the location and more the lack of safety protocols.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

There's no warnings, some plebs from P3X-797 stumble through on a trading adventure. Bam, space gate!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Except even without a puddle jumper you can use a Space Gate, so presumably a load of people have died gateing to them.

EDIT: I guess its less the location and more the lack of safety protocols.

I wonder how many Jaffa got spaced when the Goa-uld were figuring out all the valid addresses to bring human slaves to. Or wraith for that matter.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Well, the Milky Way gates were created several milion years before the show. That's enough time for a planet's climate to change.
Also I don't think this was ever adressed on the show, but it would not suprise me if the Wraith were the ones who put the gates in space. It keeps the humans isolated and they're using ships to harvest humans anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raygereio posted:

Well, actually, in episode blah blah blah....

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Something I just realized about SG1 in the later seasons.....

So in the Ori arc, the Ori use a regular gate to send through all the pieces of the SuperGate to establish a foothold for their ships to gate through to the Milky Way. This would imply that there are normal-sized gates in the Ori galaxy, however, the beginning of the Ark of Truth implies that the gates were still just a concept when the Ancients left that galaxy for the Milky Way, how could they have their own gates? I guess maybe the Ori built them specifically to send the pieces of the SuperGate through since they were smart enough to create the SuperGate in the first place. Or am I simply forgetting some episode where they have regular gates in the Ori galaxy?

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 16, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Vietnamwees posted:

Something I just realized about SG1 in the later seasons.....

So in the Ori arc, the Ori use a regular gate to send through all the pieces of the SuperGate to establish a foothold for their ships to gate through to the Milky Way. This would imply that there are normal-sized gates in the Ori galaxy, however, the beginning of the Ark of Truth implies that the gates were still just a concept when the Ancients left that galaxy for the Milky Way, how could they have their own gates? I guess maybe the Ori built them specifically to send the pieces of the SuperGate through since they were smart enough to create the SuperGate in the first place. Or am I simply forgetting some episode where they have regular gates in the Ori galaxy?

The Ori could have just told their priors how to build one gate that would connect to the Milky Way system, using parts that were readily available. Like if that Ancient who descended and built a gate in Sam's basement had instead just left some instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

The Ori could have just told their priors how to build one gate that would connect to the Milky Way system, using parts that were readily available. Like if that Ancient who descended and built a gate in Sam's basement had instead just left some instructions.

Yeah, the fact that one ancient could build a gate out of commercially available materials while in human form means that the Ori, in addition to engineering the supergate technology, could easily have built regular gates.