Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Well that's a bit awkward. So is the official rule that no two cards can have the same English name?

Yes. That's why wasting card names on bad cards like murder sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Murder is a great card though! It can be reprinted in any set due to it's simplicity and flavor. Lots of good one-word names were kind of wasted during the pre-block Legends era though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Well that's a bit awkward. So is the official rule that no two cards can have the same English name?

Non-English cards having the same name happens all the time.
For example, Frenzy Sliver and Frenetic Sliver have the same name in French (Slivoide Frénétique), and they were in the same block.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
edit: nm

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Kurtofan posted:

For example, Frenzy Sliver and Frenetic Sliver have the same name in French (Slivoide Frénétique), and they were in the same block.

Falkenrath Noble and Falkenrath Aristocrat had the same problem in Japanese.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Hmm...awkward weak version...you get a nice +2/+2 and prot all colors with this one, but I don't see this card getting used that much. Seems kind of high cost for a White card...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

If I remember correctly, Wizards delegates the naming of foreign-language cards to their foreign divisions, whom may not be as diligent about names as Wizards in the U.S. Also, a lot of languages just plain don't have as many words for a certain concept as there are in English.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes. That's why wasting card names on bad cards like murder sucks.

Meteor is more topical here.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Boxman posted:

That seems like an oddly specific rule. Does anyone know if tiny was done to keep some other weird rules interaction in check, or is it actually just a flavor thing?

It's just "creatures can't be attached to things". Only auras and equipment(and fortifications) can, and only while they aren't creatures.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Finally, a large as gently caress Aura that's worth casting? Nice.

mcmagic posted:

Raised by Wolves was worth casting in limited.

Fair enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Raised by Wolves was worth casting in limited.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

minusX posted:

It's just "creatures can't be attached to things". Only auras and equipment(and fortifications) can, and only while they aren't creatures.

That's the rule, but it still doesn't really explain why. I'm guessing it's just for the confusing board states it would make, and the potential of opening a black hole when you manage to equip something to itself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If this new aura sees play, that's a good reason to run big artifact creatures.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

It meets the +2/+2 and evasion standard for A Good Aura but is missing the lifelink.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

It meets the +2/+2 and evasion standard for A Good Aura but is missing the lifelink.

I mean it's evasion that also dodges doom blade and the like so I'd say that's a good tradeoff for lifelink.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That's gonna be a cool-looking foil.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I want a foil for my [EDH Deck With White in it]

Doesn't even matter what the deck gimmick is, I just wanna put it in.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

UberJew posted:

well, its not just evasion. Its almost indestructible and exile-proof too.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

There are no cool-looking foils. Foil cards are garbage that ruin the art. :colbert:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

It protects against removal once it resolves, but while it's still on the stack it's a five mana blowout waiting to happen. That's a problem if your opponent is running lots of instant-speed removal. If they're relying on things like Banishing Light, or they're tapped out, you're fine. But if they Doom Blade your guy while you're casting this monster, you're going to have a bad time.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dies to Scuttling Doom blade Engine.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea I doubt that card will see play in any 60 card format. Absolute blowout in limited and a high pick. Just gotta play it carefully in limited.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Nibble posted:

That's the rule, but it still doesn't really explain why. I'm guessing it's just for the confusing board states it would make, and the potential of opening a black hole when you manage to equip something to itself.

Equipping creatures together. Fixed banding?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Obscil posted:

Here's what runeguard looks like.

Edit: fixed the image, its late now, but oh well.

Did they get someone to trace over Lightning's face?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nibble posted:

It's like how when they printed that triggered ability copier they had to errata Duplicant to only have the power/toughness of the *last* imprinted card. Having two powers and toughnesses is technically supported by the rules but nobody who isn't like an L4 would get it right.

vOv fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 3, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vOv posted:

It's like how when they printed that triggered ability copier they had to errata Duplicant to only have the power/toughness of the *last* imprinted card. Having two powers and toughnesses is technically supported by the rules but nobody who isn't like an L4 would get it right.

Man, that's a fucky rules situation. Let me guess - both powers deal the damage, lethal damage greater than or equal to the lesser toughness kills the creature?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Man, that's a fucky rules situation. Let me guess - both powers deal the damage, lethal damage greater than or equal to the lesser toughness kills the creature?

Yep. But if you ask it for its toughness because of Doran or whatever, you still get the sum!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

LordSaturn posted:

Yeah, it's an expansion of the clause from White Ward.

Now riddle me this: Why does Black Ward et. al have the same clause?

Because they thought people would actually use Deathlace or Sleight of Mind effects to defeat the wards.

To be fair, a lot of color hosers back then were powerful enough to be game winning effects if you were vulnerable to them, and having the ability to turn them back on your opponent made Magical Hack and Slight of Mind good if you were playing against someone you knew had those cards.

What I find funny is that they keep trying to reprint better versions of the color changing cards and they're always utter junk now, not because of the card itself, but because the environment doesn't have any effects that are worth spending a card to flip on your opponent.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

I mean it's evasion that also dodges doom blade and the like so I'd say that's a good tradeoff for lifelink.

Lifelink's really important on the A Good Aura in a set so you win a race with Green Creatures.dec

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

vOv posted:

Yep. But if you ask it for its toughness because of Doran or whatever, you still get the sum!

It's honestly not too hard to figure out. Think of it like Bob and split cards. Bob asks "What is your CMC?" The split card answers "3 and 5," so you lose 8.

A creature with p/t's 2/2 and 20/20 gets dealt two damage. The game asks "Do you have lethal damage on you?" And the creature answers "Yes and no," so it dies.

Doran asks "What is your toughness?," it answers "2 and 20."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

It's honestly not too hard to figure out. Think of it like Bob and split cards. Bob asks "What is your CMC?" The split card answers "3 and 5," so you lose 8.

A creature with p/t's 2/2 and 20/20 gets dealt two damage. The game asks "Do you have lethal damage on you?" And the creature answers "Yes and no," so it dies.

Doran asks "What is your toughness?," it answers "2 and 20."

Would that creature deal 2 or 20 or 22 damage?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mortimer posted:

Would that creature deal 2 or 20 or 22 damage?

22. "How much damage do you deal in combat?" "2 and 20."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

22. "How much damage do you deal in combat?" "2 and 20."

Awesome that's what I thought.

The more important question is what is modern affinity going to cut for ensoul artifact?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vOv posted:

ok, so is there anyway of doing this since duplicant was errated?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SCG just revealed the playmat for GP Orlando:

...I want to go to there.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

The more important question is what is modern affinity going to cut for ensoul artifact?

Pretty sure you would cut nothing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mortimer posted:

I dunno, the demand for coloured mana puts me off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

:aaaaa:

Colored mana for affinity isn't too difficult, you run a basic island plus 4 drums, 4 opals, and 4 glimmervoids. I'll try cutting 2 signal pests from the get-go.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

VAULT OF WHISPERS IS IN MIRRODIN

MY IMMERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pinwiz11 posted:

Trying to decide if Syndic of Pies or Basalt Monorail is my favorite.

• Locked thread