Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

mechaet posted:

You should come join us.

Has the Maxx server been posted yet? I haven't seen a thread in PGS yet. I'm still ~1 week into the Diet server so debating whether to stay on it or move to Maxx and start fresh with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm in a mod-updating mood. Fun thing I found: a remake of the original Soul Shard mechanics for 1.6.4/1.7.2. I'm thinking of ripping out SS2 and replacing it with this.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've got a pretty good power system going with a tree farm feeding wood to redstone furnaces, and the furnaces feeding the subsequent charcoal to steam generators, but even though I have 15 generators, I'm still getting an excess of wood and coal that won't fit into the machines since they always have full stacks, so they pop out and despawn. What I'd like to do is have a way to funnel the excess off and into some barrels somewhere, so there's no waste. I have no idea how to do this though, can anyone give me pointers/link me to you Youtube video demonstrating how it can be done? Thanks.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Do you have Applied Energistics? Their export/import and interface buses are awesome for logistics.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've got a pretty good power system going with a tree farm feeding wood to redstone furnaces, and the furnaces feeding the subsequent charcoal to steam generators, but even though I have 15 generators, I'm still getting an excess of wood and coal that won't fit into the machines since they always have full stacks, so they pop out and despawn. What I'd like to do is have a way to funnel the excess off and into some barrels somewhere, so there's no waste. I have no idea how to do this though, can anyone give me pointers/link me to you Youtube video demonstrating how it can be done? Thanks.

Do you have itemducts involved anywhere? Essentially you want to bung an overflow itemduct onto your wood feed, leading to barrels/chests, and right-click it with a wrench to make it "dense". This adds 1000 to its nominal length, meaning items will only be routed through it if they have nowhere else to go. Do the same with your charcoal feed.

This, basically:

(wood block being your tree farm)

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
PGS thread up for Maxx: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647713

Be warned, there are a slew of updates still in the pipe for Maxx, so if you are one of those people that hates having to update the pack more than once a week, you might want to give it until the end of July. Otherwise, come have fun with us as we all start from scratch again.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

You should also probably look into getting a deep storage unit from MFR for storage, as well.

edit: Actually, while I'm thinking about this, what is the best way you can think of to create a perfectly flat tower of dirt 144 blocks (9 chunks) by 144 blocks wide? I want a blank canvas. The interior has to be completely full of dirt as well--I want no surprises. I've done this once in the past, with great annoyance. I took a flat spot of ocean, mined it to bedrock with buildcraft quarries, then used buildcraft fillers fed with tesseracts to fill back up to the top with clean dirt. But buildcraft machines are limited to 64x64, so the process was painfully slow, taking several days. With NST Maxx, I can use the Extra Utilities ender quarry to mine out the whole lot in one go, but is there anything that would fill the whole place in one go? I thought about Mekanism's digital miner, but that only replaces what it mined, correct? So it wouldn't fill in caves or water, etc.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 3, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Are there any other maps people could reccomend to me for shoving into Agrarian Skies? After I lost my last save I kind of want some larger area to work off of and build from than just 'a tiny house' or 'a tiny platform'.

I was thinking of this Kingdom Hearts remake map but it looks like it wasn't set up in a void so it might be tempting for me to whip out quarries later on rather than play the way it's intended.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

You should also probably look into getting a deep storage unit from MFR for storage, as well.

edit: Actually, while I'm thinking about this, what is the best way you can think of to create a perfectly flat tower of dirt 144 blocks (9 chunks) by 144 blocks wide? I want a blank canvas. The interior has to be completely full of dirt as well--I want no surprises. I've done this once in the past, with great annoyance. I took a flat spot of ocean, mined it to bedrock with buildcraft quarries, then used buildcraft fillers fed with tesseracts to fill back up to the top with clean dirt. But buildcraft machines are limited to 64x64, so the process was painfully slow, taking several days. With NST Maxx, I can use the Extra Utilities ender quarry to mine out the whole lot in one go, but is there anything that would fill the whole place in one go? I thought about Mekanism's digital miner, but that only replaces what it mined, correct? So it wouldn't fill in caves or water, etc.

You could use a digital miner to replace everything with sand first to make sure it collapses into caves, and then use it to replace the sand with dirt? It would probably take ages, but it would be simple to do. Might be able to run both at once. Doesn't help with leveling out or anything though.

If rp comes back, you could always get a frame quarry to do it, front side chewing the terrain, back side placing dirt. Assuming you have the dirt.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm in a mod-updating mood. Fun thing I found: a remake of the original Soul Shard mechanics for 1.6.4/1.7.2. I'm thinking of ripping out SS2 and replacing it with this.

Following up on this, Soul Shards Reborn is looking very nice. All properties of the soul shards are configurable, so you could, for example, make all 5 tiers respond to redstone signals to turn on and off for safety or lag. Also, it lets you set a hard limit for the number of mobs spawned that can exist at once, so you can keep from overloading your server if someone fucks up their spawning/killing rates.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cantorsdust posted:

Following up on this, Soul Shards Reborn is looking very nice. All properties of the soul shards are configurable, so you could, for example, make all 5 tiers respond to redstone signals to turn on and off for safety or lag. Also, it lets you set a hard limit for the number of mobs spawned that can exist at once, so you can keep from overloading your server if someone fucks up their spawning/killing rates.

The best part of Soul Shards Reborn is the fact that it works with mobs added from other mods rather than just the vanilla ones.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Won't the prevalence of MFR's autospawners make Soul Shards incredibly easy to level up?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

In terms of storage, I'm definitely a stickler for organization. I haven't used AE that much, but from what I have seen it can certainly store all materials very easily if you have enough drive space. To me though, it doesn't seem like that is very organized. It's just one window that has everything under the sun. Do Deep Storage Units help with that? What is the benefit of using those in addition or conjunction with AE?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
You can actually organize what goes on an ME drive, which will fix your organization issues.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Hitch posted:

Do Deep Storage Units help with that? What is the benefit of using those in addition or conjunction with AE?
DSUs and barrels are useful for items you have a lot of so they're not taking up space on your drives. I generally throw anything I have more than 1-2k of into a barrel/DSU and stick a storage bus on it. This keeps my array(s) of 4k drives from getting clogged up with cobble and such.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hitch posted:

In terms of storage, I'm definitely a stickler for organization. I haven't used AE that much, but from what I have seen it can certainly store all materials very easily if you have enough drive space. To me though, it doesn't seem like that is very organized. It's just one window that has everything under the sun. Do Deep Storage Units help with that? What is the benefit of using those in addition or conjunction with AE?

For the record, the ME Terminal doesn't get organized - not in a way you might think of it. It does have a few ways to sort though (such as # of items or ID#.) it does, however, have a built-in search to make it easy to find anything you're looking for.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I just need to mess around with it more.

Carados posted:

You can actually organize what goes on an ME drive, which will fix your organization issues.

Looking through documentation, I may need to mess with the Partition Editor a bit.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Don't get too attached because from what I have heard 1.7 AE is much harder to get setup and automation of crafting is far far later game.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

Hitch posted:

A DSU can be attached with your ME network with an ME Storage Bus, so large stacks of cobblestone won't take up bytes of storage and will be stored in the DSU instead. Still seamlessly accessible from the network.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Hitch posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I just need to mess around with it more.

Looking through documentation, I may need to mess with the Partition Editor a bit.

It's kind of a junk pile in the interface, but it'll automatically pull out the relevant items when you insert the NEI recipe into the grid, which is my use case 90% of the time.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Yeah, I don't even see a need to set up access terminals when you can just put crafting terminals all over the place and have them do double duty. Plus you can set it to search NEI when you search for an item. One stop shop right there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I just upgraded to the latest version of java and now the launcher seems to think I have the 32 bit version instead of 64 bit because I cant raise the RAM limit past 1 GB.

Am I gonna have to uninstall something or is there a way to fix this?

Nevermind I fixed it!

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 4, 2014

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Heffer posted:

It's kind of a junk pile in the interface, but it'll automatically pull out the relevant items when you insert the NEI recipe into the grid, which is my use case 90% of the time.

Is this with a crafting access terminal? Is there a keybind or something that I have to hit? I know that clicking something in NEI and clicking the ? will put a ghost of the recipe into the crafting grid, but I've still been having to use the terminal's search function to find all the bits and pieces.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BlueOccamy posted:

Is this with a crafting access terminal? Is there a keybind or something that I have to hit? I know that clicking something in NEI and clicking the ? will put a ghost of the recipe into the crafting grid, but I've still been having to use the terminal's search function to find all the bits and pieces.

shift click the [?]

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Show and Tell time!

Relevant mods: Extra Utilities and Forge Microblocks.

I made a Gyrados because my base is in the ocean and I like making things instead of digging. He's huge- 56 by 56 blocks. I used the Colored Bricks from Extra Utils and lit him up with glowstone nooks made with the saw from Microblocks- cause torches give off particle effects and whole glowstone blocks wouldn't look good.

Normal version

Shiny version!

The extra utility mod has a paintbrush that lets you change the colors of the blocks in it (by chunk) so I have a red and pink block in the water under it and each chunk has a blue and light blue one under the water too for easy access (I can't reach the far left bit from the water). So it's just a few quick clicks to swap him between shiny and non-shiny!

My next project I think is going to be a Magikarp horizontally under the water by spawn so it shows on the minimap.

Yeah the various tech mods are cool and all but sometimes you just wanna build nifty looking things and I love all the new blocks that mods add :3:

Edit: My husband said it's a good thing I didn't build him out of wool cause then he'd be in danger from lightning :v:

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 5, 2014

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Hey Mechaet, any thoughts on adding another magic mod (Ars or Blood maybe) to NST:Diet or Maxx? I'm running a small diet server for a few friends and they've been asking. Thaumcraft is cool, but gets a little tiring after the first few go rounds with it. Even with all the fast/easy mode stuff on.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gerdalti posted:

Hey Mechaet, any thoughts on adding another magic mod (Ars or Blood maybe) to NST:Diet or Maxx? I'm running a small diet server for a few friends and they've been asking. Thaumcraft is cool, but gets a little tiring after the first few go rounds with it. Even with all the fast/easy mode stuff on.

I would recommend against Ars for the moment. It just had a MAJOR update and still has a lot of bugs to work out. Blood Magic (or Witchery maybe?) would work well, though.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Are there any point-to-point teleportation systems in Agrarian Skies that don't require line-of-sight? I'm considering just playing on that kingdom hearts map and each map is its own boxed out area.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Pidmon posted:

Are there any point-to-point teleportation systems in Agrarian Skies that don't require line-of-sight? I'm considering just playing on that kingdom hearts map and each map is its own boxed out area.

Warp Book.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I just found out that WAILA can be configured to display Secret Rooms blocks as whatever block they're mimicking.

This is awesome.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Gerdalti posted:

What was the last version of TC you played?
Azanor makes pretty sweeping changes with each update and 4.1 has me playing an other round.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SeventhUncle posted:

What was the last version of TC you played?
Azanor makes pretty sweeping changes with each update and 4.1 has me playing an other round.

The updates are usually pretty cool with Thaumcraft, but the slog to unlock all the update content never changes. Most servers will pass around unlock books to people who want to skip the grind.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Has there been a server release for NST:Zero yet? If not, what all should I delete from the server mods? Inventory Tweaks and NEI?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

The updates are usually pretty cool with Thaumcraft, but the slog to unlock all the update content never changes. Most servers will pass around unlock books to people who want to skip the grind.

That makes sense. The current mechanic is better than the last two but I wouldn't want to do it a second time.
I usually play TC on SSP but now that you mention it I'll advocate for that on the SMP server I play on.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
How do I smelt some of these Nether Ores, please?? Adamantium, Nikolite, and Mythril, specifically?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

How do I smelt some of these Nether Ores, please?? Adamantium, Nikolite, and Mythril, specifically?
I only know those as Metallurgy ores, which I have not seen make it into most ore multiplier mods out there. They were generally meant to work with a smeltery from Tinker's Construct. If you hover over an ore in your inventory and hit 'u' then you can find out how to put the ore to good use (u=use).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How would I use computercraft to make a program that is along the lines of "getFuelTemperature, if temperature <250c, set rods to 0%, if 350c, set rods to 100%" ?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ak Gara posted:

How would I use computercraft to make a program that is along the lines of "getFuelTemperature, if temperature <250c, set rods to 0%, if 350c, set rods to 100%" ?

Using a computercraft computer is overkill for this; you can do it with two reactor redstone ports. Set the first one to output when the temperature is above 350, and the second to set the control rods to 100% if it has a redstone signal. Use a lead to connect the two.

If you need it to be strictly like your example, use three ports. The first outputs when temp is below 250, which connects to the RESET input of an RS latch. The second outputs when the reactor is over 350; connect to SET input of the RS latch. The output of the RS latch connects to the third, which sets the rods to 100% when it gets a signal.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

code:
-- replace 'back' with appropriate side
local r = peripheral.wrap('back')

while true do
  -- I don't know if it's actually called getFuelTemperature
  if r.getFuelTemperature() < 250 then
    r.setAllControlRodLevels(0)
  else
    r.setAllControlRodLevels(100)
  end
  os.sleep(5) -- to reduce lag
end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Glory of Arioch posted:

Using a computercraft computer is overkill for this; you can do it with two reactor redstone ports. Set the first one to output when the temperature is above 350, and the second to set the control rods to 100% if it has a redstone signal. Use a lead to connect the two.

If you need it to be strictly like your example, use three ports. The first outputs when temp is below 250, which connects to the RESET input of an RS latch. The second outputs when the reactor is over 350; connect to SET input of the RS latch. The output of the RS latch connects to the third, which sets the rods to 100% when it gets a signal.
Using CC is never overkill when it allows you to not deal with redstone.

• Locked thread