Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mister Chief posted:

It has always depended on artist.

And the film. Some times a great film gets an artist who doesn't sell well, so you get a Beetlejuice poster that sits there for weeks. Other times you get a movie that no one is super stoked about with a great artist, and same situation.

It happens from time to time. They still sold out of the predator one in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The regular is still there but its a dumb poster. I much preferred (and was lucky enough) to grab their SDCC one from last year.

It was done by the guy who did a lot of visual work on Iron Man, Spider-Man, Ender's Game, Robocop, Prometheus.

http://www.ashthorp.com/

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder of the bloom is starting to come off the rose for Mondo. I noticed that two of their latest posters are still available for sale over a day after they were released. Usually anything and everything they released was snapped up in seconds.

They've gone through a drought of average/terrible posters, and there's definitely not the same rush factor as there used to be because of it. I think it's all a factor of quality.

I'm thinking of picking up their Goonies poster today, which is the first one that has piqued my interest since SXSW:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
God I loving love that movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And sold out - did you get one?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

And sold out - did you get one?

Missed it by like 5 seconds or so. Wasn't too gung ho about it, so it's probably just as well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well this didn't take long.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It looks like Timothy Olyphant

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like someone found a picture of Henry Cavill's dad and photoshopped it onto his body.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hat Thoughts posted:

It looks like Timothy Olyphant

I didn't even think of that, but now I can't unsee it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Supes is half-assedly consoling a morose Batman about his weight gain.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to see a really god damned dope, mildly :nws: poster?

Well here you go then

Here's the uncensored version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

Well this didn't take long.

For some reason, I always assumed Batman would be the top.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

axleblaze posted:

Who wants to see a really god damned dope, mildly :nws: poster?

Well here you go then

Here's the uncensored version.

Kinda reminds me of the French and American posters for Man Bites Dog. The 'censorship,' I mean:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Skwirl posted:

Your bat-resistance only makes my super-penis harder!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's a Superass. That's like sticking your dick in the garbage disposal and hoping it doesn't get spooked and turn on for some reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kiimo posted:

It's a Superass. That's like sticking your dick in the garbage disposal and hoping it doesn't get spooked and turn on for some reason.

On the other hand, the other way is like sticking an industrial drill in your rear end.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is the worst conversation. Stop having this conversation.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Doctor Bishop posted:

Your bat-resistance only makes my super-penis harder!

A perfect opportunity to use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z_jpI2IqKs

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Kinda reminds me of the French and American posters for Man Bites Dog. The 'censorship,' I mean:

Shooting babies is less controversial than shooting dogs? :wtf:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do dogs often wear false teeth?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Apparently so...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

effectual posted:

Shooting babies is less controversial than shooting dogs? :wtf:

It's really interesting thinking about the extent to which even the most minor changes made to the advertisement of a foreign film can completely change the way people are going to go in interpreting the film.

The original title of the film It Happened in Your Neighborhood, like Man Bites Dog, has some obvious allusions to journalism, except it has the complete opposite effect. It implies that what the characters are doing is mundane, as opposed to the American title, which plays up, more than the content of the film, the film itself: Wow, look at this new French thing! Bet you didn't see this comin'.

It's weird because, It Happened in Your Neighborhood is also a direct reference to basically what the filmmakers were doing. The It doesn't refer to the story of the film; it refers to the film as well. It's sort of works as a direct commentary on independent filmmaking, and how it's much more self-motivated and much less complicated than it appears on the surface. It happens in your neighborhood, these kids making a really grotesque film.

I should also note, as I just found out, that the French poster is the censored one. It's weird because, in a way, the censored poster works better than the original conception with the pacifier. Benoit never kills any children in the film. He gets a lot of elderly people, though. And the dentures flying out at the screen does a much better job at capturing the pitch black humor behind the film than the pacifier.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Actually he does kill a kid so I thought that the American poster perfectly caught the shock value iherent in the film.
:goonsay:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Actually he does kill a kid so I thought that the American poster perfectly caught the shock value iherent in the film.
:goonsay:

I definitely need to watch it again. Refresh my memory, when did he off the kid?

NVM: It's when they break into the suburban home and smother him. (Which Benoit didn't want to do, but the filmmakers tell him that's what they want. I love the extent to which it's uncertain how much of Benoit's life is his own and how much is just the filmmakers encouraging him.)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 4, 2014

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

WebDog posted:

Apparently so...

Every ****ing day. Every single ****ing day...

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

ubergnu posted:

Every ****ing day. Every single ****ing day...

And here's how that post appeared in France:

quote:

Every loving day. Every single loving day...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

K. Waste posted:

I definitely need to watch it again. Refresh my memory, when did he off the kid?

NVM: It's when they break into the suburban home and smother him. (Which Benoit didn't want to do, but the filmmakers tell him that's what they want. I love the extent to which it's uncertain how much of Benoit's life is his own and how much is just the filmmakers encouraging him.)

I read this post out of context and immediately thought of how wrong you are because of Wikipedia - Chris Benoit double-murder and suicide

I'm an idiot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

axleblaze posted:

This is the worst conversation. Stop having this conversation.

You're not the boss of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwUdp5-2D8&t=35s

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I started using Tumblr again and I'm already mad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I started using Tumblr again and I'm already mad.

Every now and then I pause and try to think of exactly when it was that I stopped liking Donnie Darko. I'm just going to say "when I turned 21 and became a goddamned adult". There's just something about the movie that speaks to angsty teens and is completely repellant to anyone under the age of 13 and older than late teens/early 20's.

edit: Cellar door...

Also what the hell happened to the director? I always thought he'd go on and do anything else noteworthy but I don't think he ever did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

King Vidiot posted:

Also what the hell happened to the director? I always thought he'd go on and do anything else noteworthy but I don't think he ever did.
He directed Southland Tales a few years later which was somehow a whole lot loving weirder than Donnie Darko and had an ensemble cast. I don't think many people even saw that movie. Every time I think about it, all I can picture is Justin Timberlake lip syncing All These Things That I've Done by The Killers in that weird-rear end montage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7aS01JpK0

Then he directed The Box in like 2009, which I remember nothing about. That was the last thing he did, I think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love The Box.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I tried to watch Donnie Darko like 6 years ago, but I fell asleep.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

For some reason I'm not surprised.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Not quite a double feature, but watch The Box(2009) with as little prior knowledge as possible, then read about the director's parents and his early family life and watch the film again.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Richard Kelly's rejected script for Holes, where it takes place after a nuclear war and the boys are digging up the post-apocalyptic wasteland looking for pre-war tech, is incredible. The man is beyond parody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Consistently the only thing I can think whenever I watch a Richard Kelly movie is "who gave him money to do this, and how did he convince these actors to read these lines".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
He's also had some producing credits including World's Greatest Dad which was alright. He's producing Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Consistently the only thing I can think whenever I watch a Richard Kelly movie is "who gave him money to do this, and how did he convince these actors to read these lines".

I don't mind Richard Kelly as much as you guys, but he has the smuggest face in every photo:

Seriously, his resting face makes him look like the smarmiest douchebro. For a guy like that to get money and convince decent actors to do things, he's got to be a sorcerer or something.