Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Ancestors Chosen is basically MVP in my flight control deck like 75% of the time. I just wanted some chump blockers while I stalled out to pull out a gralk/mastery of time combo, but then they kill everything. So that's pretty cool.

This match is still going. I took a few jpgs that tell the story, and I'll share them at break.

e:

It doesn't show it, but I was up to ~120 life off of the Hero.

G2 I overran him with a super good hand, g3 he got a godhand, and I took a terrible hand instead of going to 4, like a chump.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
For constructed, how do sideboards work? I assume you put your sideboard in the reserves? Is there a limit? I put fifteen cards in and I got no validation erros, sixteen was also no validation error.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well, I just won a draft game against a deck that had 4 Murders; final life totals were -725 to 1454.

(Soul Marble + Ozawa)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

The GenCon drafts are 2 packs of set 2, 1 pack of set 1.

Thanks!

Zurai posted:

Not true; you can roll a rare chest straight to primal with the double upgrade reward.
I mean, OK, but that seems like a real corner case.

Zurai posted:

Comet Strike is a Quick Action. You can (and should) play it on your opponent's turn.
Ah, good point. It's still a lovely card.

Zurai posted:

Except that Puck can't really ramp out Fist because he costs 6 threshold.
What I was getting at is that Fist turns on Puck's ability. Not necessarily that Puck ramps out Fist. Normally I want Puck to get me a T3 Jadiim. I'd expect to play Fist on T5 off of a brave or Chlorophyllia. If you're going on a ramp plan, you need a decent amount of guys that interact with Puck, which Fist does.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Karnegal posted:

If you're going on a ramp plan, you need a decent amount of guys that interact with Puck, which Fist does.

There are way better 5+ cost Wild creatures to include, though. Boulder Brute, Battle Beetle, and Ambershire Instigator are all better Puck cards IMO, and honestly in a lot of cases I'd rather have a 6/4 crush than a 6/6 invincible crush that has to attack every turn. The latter is very specialized.

What I'm saying is that I agree with you, Fist is just bad right now. Once we get some more ways to cheat creatures into play he might be better, but right now I don't see a lot of use for him.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

There are way better 5+ cost Wild creatures to include, though. Boulder Brute, Battle Beetle, and Ambershire Instigator are all better Puck cards IMO, and honestly in a lot of cases I'd rather have a 6/4 crush than a 6/6 invincible crush that has to attack every turn. The latter is very specialized.

What I'm saying is that I agree with you, Fist is just bad right now. Once we get some more ways to cheat creatures into play he might be better, but right now I don't see a lot of use for him.

I disagree on all 3 of those. First, the only thing that I really see any of them winning on is not having 6 threshold. So yeah, if you aren't mono green, you can't play Fist, but we were already assuming mono green. In that scenario, I think fist is one of your best choices at 5+

Ambershire is 5 mana for a 4/4 attacker with crush. At the same cost I get Jaidiim. It dies to removal and most creatures of similar cost in combat. Fist is a lot harder to deal with.

Boulder Brute is a 4/4 spellshield for 5. I think I'd rather have the 6/6 indestructible for 6.

Battle is probably the most arguable and it depends on what sort of deck you're playing. Beetle is pretty much a 5/5 spellshield that you have to pay 2 for each turn to get in with. If I'm playing Puck, I'm probably also playing Eye. I don't want to be constantly sinking my mana into the bug.

Also, Wild's gems outside of spellshield are really not that impressive in a mono wild deck. Making rhino's is kind of cool if you're doing it with Eldritch Dreamer, but I don't know how much I value the ability on a blockable dude.

I don't really want to be holding back my 5-6 drops for blocking because it means my ramp strategy has already failed.

EDIT: Running Deer is certainly your go to champ for this deck.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TRIP REPORT: Swiss Constructed, 4pm Eastern,

R1: Dahlrek- RB orcs
I didn't start keeping track until after this game, but I went 2-1

R2: Cabalpapa - SW Replicator Ancestors
G1: epic g1 loss (see screenies above)
G2: super aggro hand, tempo'd over him
G3: kept a bad hand, wasnt able to draw the game to time. post-discussion shows he had a godhand anyway

R3: Ceiphied - BS 1-creature(?) control deck
G1: 22 minute game, took him to 2, kept board empty until storm colossus/life syphon
G2: didn't have answers to the aggro
G3: he never got to 4 resources, aggro'd him down

R4: Balthuzad - BD good goddamn rares
G1: Chimera Guard Outrider'd all over his face
G2: t2 totem, t4 vamp king, never made up the tempo
G3: tempo'd over his totem and king

Ended up 3-1. Tourney end screen puts me at 22 of 109

Not bad.

Decklist:

Apparently the Reserves don't switch back after the last game. Weird.

Reserves (as of R4G3) were:
2 Replicator's Gambit
3 Reversion
1 Kraken Guard Mariner
1 Countermagic
2 Protectorate Defender
1 Princess Victoria
3 Solitary Exile
2 Stormcall

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Karnegal posted:

Ambershire is 5 mana for a 4/4 attacker with crush. At the same cost I get Jaidiim. It dies to removal and most creatures of similar cost in combat. Fist is a lot harder to deal with.

Boulder Brute is a 4/4 spellshield for 5. I think I'd rather have the 6/6 indestructible for 6.

Battle is probably the most arguable and it depends on what sort of deck you're playing. Beetle is pretty much a 5/5 spellshield that you have to pay 2 for each turn to get in with. If I'm playing Puck, I'm probably also playing Eye. I don't want to be constantly sinking my mana into the bug.

Also, Wild's gems outside of spellshield are really not that impressive in a mono wild deck. Making rhino's is kind of cool if you're doing it with Eldritch Dreamer, but I don't know how much I value the ability on a blockable dude.

Fist isn't immune to nearly as many removal spells as you think it is. The only two real ones for constructed play are Murder and Extinction. Boulder Brute (with spellshield gem), meanwhile, is immune to everything except the various board wipe spells. Spellshield is way more disruptive than Invincible is. Fist is vulnerable to Inner Conflict, Mesmerize, Solitary Confinement, Chaos Key, Wind Whisperer, Time Ripple, Buccaneer, etc etc, none of which can do anything to the Brute.

The Rhino gem is way better for Beetles than the Spellshield gem is unless you know you're going into a match with an absolute ton of targeted removal. The Rhino gem is really, really good. Not only do you get to smash your opponent's face in, you get card advantage while doing it. There are very few creatures in the game which can profitably block a Battle Beetle in the air. Malice Demons, Storm Colossi, Lightning Armadas. That's about it. And that's before considering Wild Growth and Wild Aura.

Instigator is a siegebreaker in ways that Fist and Brute aren't. It breaks a stalled board state with Rage 2 and Crush built in. Wild has plenty of ways to make sure it doesn't die in combat before it ramps up to backbreaking levels. And you say "it dies to anything with a similar cost", but we're talking about a ramp deck here. You should be able to get the Instigator out on turn 3. The opponent is not going to have a 4 power creature on turn 3 unless they too are playing a ramp deck.

Invincible is really not a big deal. There are a huge number of ways to deal with it in just set 1. What the Fist is left with outside that is Polonius's charge power. I've discussed before in this thread how unimpressive that is to me.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

shaqattaq posted:

Hey all. Large tournaments were mostly successful, but there were a few bugs that were affecting response times and matchmaking gamewide. We're going to continue working on tournaments throughout this week and you will see large tournaments return late next week at the earliest with a new patch

Big tournaments are down again. Pity, they're really fun.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

Big tournaments are down again. Pity, they're really fun.
That quote was from 06-25-2014 though?

Edit; even if that is an old quote the twitter feed does say they are down - https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/484494988063956993

Grim fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 3, 2014

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Rough start for me on this tournament. Game one was a mirror match and the other guy just out drew me, and I made some mistakes. I have noises turned off, so I had to concede game one of the next match, but I still won it. Then, round 3 was against a ruby aggro deck. In game three I was at three and he was 20, managed to pull it out though. Out of all the tournaments I've ever played of Magic, this one truly feels like the most work.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 3, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Grim posted:

That quote was from 06-25-2014 though?

Edit; even if that is an old quote the twitter feed does say they are down - https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/484494988063956993

Whoops, didnt check the date once I noticed the 12am draft was gone.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I think you're overestimating the playability of a lot of the removal that deals with fist.

Cards that deal with Fist permanently:

Colorless:
Choas Key - I don't think anyone plays this unless they can cheat the cost. 7 mana removal is not that great. At best you play it on 4 and activate it on 5, but I'm not a huge fan of dropping it until there's something you want to use it on.

Argus, Herald of Doom- Too expensive to play

Blood:
Nothing

Diamond:
Inner Conflict - I think this is not constructed worthy. It needs to be 2CC.

Solitary Exile - A good card. Certainly trumps Fist.

Sapphire:
Cosmic Transmogrifier - Technically an answer, just a really bad one

Mesmerize - Again, I wouldn't want to pay 3 for this effect. Maybe 2.

Ruby:
Nothing

Wild:
Nothing

So 1 card that is actually playable. 4 if you play one of the 3 questionable cards. Of the 3, only Chaos Key is realistic.

Your tempo argument isn't wowing me because you can hit 2/3 of the cards you claimed (since you don't want to spellshiled the beetle) were better with the same tempo cards. Also, if I'm making 6 drops against a tempo deck, they probably aren't doing too well on their game plan (time ripple especially seems unexciting at that point). Wind Whisperer is similarly not a real card in that I would never play it outside of draft.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Gross Dude posted:

Rough start for me on this tournament. Game one was a mirror match and the other guy just out drew me, and I made some mistakes. I have noises turned off, so I had to concede game one of the next match, but I still won it. Then, round 3 was against a ruby aggro deck. In game three I was at three and he was 20, managed to pull it out though. Out of all the tournaments I've ever played of Magic, this one truly feels like the most work.

Ended up 3-1, with a Blood/Diamond Midrange deck. Pretty happy. Only lost to Blood/Diamond and it was only because he got his solitary isolations before I could get mine. D:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's a thing on the official forums about using gift cards and promo codes to get (slightly) cheaper platinum through Gameforge; http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36851

I already have enough plat and don't think I will need more any time soon but it's good to keep in mind going forward (assuming CZE continue to use Gameforge to process transactions - no signs that they will stop anyway)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The people who asked about buying my unused Pro Player account never got back to me. Anyone else interested?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Karnegal posted:

I mean, OK, but that seems like a real corner case.

I've actually done it twice. The double upgrade doesn't seem any rarer than the single upgrade.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Moon Monster posted:

I've actually done it twice. The double upgrade doesn't seem any rarer than the single upgrade.

Probably just my results. I don't know if anyone has done an extensive recording. I do feel like some results show up significantly more than others.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

According to these stats collected in the hex forums, upgrade has a 12% chance, while double upgrade is 3-4%

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CAfwv-xqUZN-pJXx4r7Kpbz0PCtcmOFuzh0eSFAQ6Gw/edit#gid=0

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Tamba posted:

According to these stats collected in the hex forums, upgrade has a 12% chance, while double upgrade is 3-4%

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CAfwv-xqUZN-pJXx4r7Kpbz0PCtcmOFuzh0eSFAQ6Gw/edit#gid=0

Awesome! Thanks for posting that. I would speculate that they odds are the same across all rarities, there is just a small sample size. I wonder what the odds on 3 gold are. I've never got it, and I'm unsure what the special reward is. Is it just a booster like 3 reds?

EDIT: Haha, I literally just got 3 gold on a roll. I got 5k gold, a rare and a legendary (lovely one). One of them was from the random 3 crown roll.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 3, 2014

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

gently caress the Spellshield gem. Or gently caress Boulder Brute. But probably gently caress the Spellshield gem.

I got smashed last night by a guy playing Feather Floating Downriver and the first shard he plays is Wild. Welp, here we go. He ends up with 2 flying Boulder Brutes and I'm staring at my hand of Murder, Repel, Inner Conflict. I even managed to get together a 6/5 flying + first strike (Phoenix Guard Aeronaut + Diamond Aura + Blood Aura) and of course he's got the Wild Aura.

The Auras are generally more playable than they are in Magic, which I think adds even more to the feel bads. I just felt so helpless and it was a really bad experience. Ok, rant over.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

MerrMan posted:

gently caress the Spellshield gem. Or gently caress Boulder Brute. But probably gently caress the Spellshield gem.

I got smashed last night by a guy playing Feather Floating Downriver and the first shard he plays is Wild. Welp, here we go. He ends up with 2 flying Boulder Brutes and I'm staring at my hand of Murder, Repel, Inner Conflict. I even managed to get together a 6/5 flying + first strike (Phoenix Guard Aeronaut + Diamond Aura + Blood Aura) and of course he's got the Wild Aura.

The Auras are generally more playable than they are in Magic, which I think adds even more to the feel bads. I just felt so helpless and it was a really bad experience. Ok, rant over.

In both magic and hex, I hate hexproof and spellshield. Shroud is fine, but it really isn't fun to lose to a creature that is nearly impossible to deal with, if you couldn't buff the brute, I'd be fine with it, play a big dude. But when you stock him up with stuff, it's just not fun.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

:allears: That is why I love battle beetle in constructed. A 5/5 flying spellshield is just so hard to deal with, and its bigger than Angels and Vampires.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

MerrMan posted:

On the flipside, it feels like 80% of the meta right now is Blood Diamond and after playing against that deck every single match last yesterday I went off and built the same deck it sounds like he is playing: Wild splash blue for floating downriver and a few other cards. Also, so that I can get access to the "destroy all constants" sorcery. Play murder, exile, repel, etc all you want but I hope you can deal with my 8x spellshield dudes that I can dig for. I'm not sure what else to add but if there is one deck I want to be able to crush right now it is the blood diamond deck that runs 4x living totem, 4x angel of dawn, 4x exile something constant, 4x murder, 4x repel, 4x extinction, 4x 3/1 major gem "goes back to your hand when it dies" creature, 2x zombie plague as its core. Whether I'm going to run sapphire splash ruby or wild splash sapphire I'm not sure yet, but whichever deck does better against BD control will probably be the deck.

Heck, RARES for that deck are going for like 5 bucks. So yeah, it needs to die :)

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Vilgan posted:

Play murder, exile, repel, etc all you want but I hope you can deal with my 8x spellshield dudes that I can dig for.
What spellshield guys are you running? Outside of the gem I feel the options are pretty limited, apart from building up a soul marble.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

mightygerm posted:

:allears: That is why I love battle beetle in constructed. A 5/5 flying spellshield is just so hard to deal with, and its bigger than Angels and Vampires.

In constructed it's fine with me, it's limited where I think it gets to be too much. If anyone played during innistrad, invisible stalker and equipment was so dumb. I would play it when I drafted it, but it didn't make for a fun game.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah, I was talking Limited. I don't get down with constructed much - and in constructed you can guarantee you have answers. I guess even there there's not many... That WS Battle Beedle / Boulder Brute deck sounds hilarious and I might throw it together to enrage people in the big tournaments.

And like Gross Dude said, I think Shroud is okay. And even actually pretty good. Spellshield is just all upside and I think that's really lazy.

And yeah, as a 5/5 flying, spellshield, Cerulean Mentalist inspired Boulder Brute was punching me in the face I was definitely reminded of a Butcher's Cleaver wielding Invisible Stalker.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Hey Goons, I've been playing Hex a little more recently and had a few questions I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can answer for me.

1. Is there a way to get a higher resolution than the 1920x1080? I have a 30" screen and would like to play at native.

1a. My resolution setting never seems to save but my audio settings do, is this a known bug?

2. Has there been any word or comment from a Dev about multiplayer modes in the future? (2v2, 2HG, etc..) With DOTP 2015 cutting their multiplayer modes out I was hoping HEX might one day be able to fill that hole for my friend and I.

3. I'm a Collector Tier person should I have gotten some beta keys or something? My friend who introduced me to Magic 100 years ago has never played HEX and I think he'd love it, but I've never received any keys or anything.

4. If I wanted to make some quick Plat is it better to sell Primals or open them? I saw the cost post up above and I wanna say just selling the pack makes more sense for just pure Plat to draft with; or would I be better off opening Primals and selling regular boosters? I'm so loving bad at AHing in games.:cry:

5. Are there channels or anything you can hook up with other goons at?

Thanks for any info you guys can give!!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Rylek posted:

Hey Goons, I've been playing Hex a little more recently and had a few questions I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can answer for me.

1. Is there a way to get a higher resolution than the 1920x1080? I have a 30" screen and would like to play at native.

1a. My resolution setting never seems to save but my audio settings do, is this a known bug?

2. Has there been any word or comment from a Dev about multiplayer modes in the future? (2v2, 2HG, etc..) With DOTP 2015 cutting their multiplayer modes out I was hoping HEX might one day be able to fill that hole for my friend and I.

3. I'm a Collector Tier person should I have gotten some beta keys or something? My friend who introduced me to Magic 100 years ago has never played HEX and I think he'd love it, but I've never received any keys or anything.

4. If I wanted to make some quick Plat is it better to sell Primals or open them? I saw the cost post up above and I wanna say just selling the pack makes more sense for just pure Plat to draft with; or would I be better off opening Primals and selling regular boosters? I'm so loving bad at AHing in games.:cry:

5. Are there channels or anything you can hook up with other goons at?

Thanks for any info you guys can give!!

2. Planned, yeah. No dates or approximations though.

3. Everyone got an extra beta key maybe a month ago or so.

4. Last I checked, Primals were selling for approximately their EV. So, it really comes down to if you think you're lucky enough to pop an Angel/Vamp King.

Boosters are already super deflated, so I wouldn't sell them unless you really need a quick shot of plat. Draft and do well? I'm not really an AH guy either sadly.

5. I think there was an irc channel?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Go RV! posted:

2. Planned, yeah. No dates or approximations though.

3. Everyone got an extra beta key maybe a month ago or so.

4. Last I checked, Primals were selling for approximately their EV. So, it really comes down to if you think you're lucky enough to pop an Angel/Vamp King.

Boosters are already super deflated, so I wouldn't sell them unless you really need a quick shot of plat. Draft and do well? I'm not really an AH guy either sadly.

5. I think there was an irc channel?

Thanks for the answers! Does anyone have an extra Beta key they're not using? I must have missed that email with the extra key. I'd be happy to trade some boosters or something for it when the trade option is put in.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

MerrMan posted:

I ended up playing that guy in the finals, playing a worse version of that same archetype, even. I thought I recognized your name.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Karnegal posted:

I think you're overestimating the playability of a lot of the removal that deals with fist.

Cards that deal with Fist permanently:

Sapphire:
Cosmic Transmogrifier - Technically an answer, just a really bad one

Mesmerize - Again, I wouldn't want to pay 3 for this effect. Maybe 2.

Monkey

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2huJqFsFDE

Also I'm seeing prices go back UP on the Auction House which seems a bit weird, might be worth listing a few 6+ of's again

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I feel like prices on the AH are misleading. Things seemed to have gone up, but unless it's an absolute must have card you are usually going to get undercut before you make a sale because most cards are barely moving. So if something is listed at 150 plat for example you'll be lucky if you sell your card for 95 plat.

Edit: I played a swiss tournament and first round this guy had Argus and he was playing a deck with like 55 cards and he got Argus without a mulligan the first two rounds an then got it the third round as well within his first two draws. I barely squeaked out the win :psyduck:.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 4, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
An auction house is such a bad way to be making a trading card market it's impressive. Let's give you no access to the current price while you're putting a card on the market, filter information in a patently horrible way (Do we really have a need to sort by maximum buyout?) and give no way for a seller to offload their cards quickly, all while having the gall to charge 5% for the convenience. It takes 10 clicks and 3 loading screens to put something up for sale. The market in Magic the Gathering Online is more functional than this, and it's basically a bunch of bots on a bulletin board.

If they wanted to copy an MMOs trading scheme, they should have taken their book from EVE and treated cards like commodities. Let us put up sell orders and especially buy orders, and if they want they could also include market history information within the system. And people would still have peer-to-peer trading if they expect people to care a lot about what's on the double-back of their cards.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Istvun posted:

An auction house is such a bad way to be making a trading card market it's impressive. Let's give you no access to the current price while you're putting a card on the market, filter information in a patently horrible way (Do we really have a need to sort by maximum buyout?) and give no way for a seller to offload their cards quickly, all while having the gall to charge 5% for the convenience. It takes 10 clicks and 3 loading screens to put something up for sale. The market in Magic the Gathering Online is more functional than this, and it's basically a bunch of bots on a bulletin board.

If they wanted to copy an MMOs trading scheme, they should have taken their book from EVE and treated cards like commodities. Let us put up sell orders and especially buy orders, and if they want they could also include market history information within the system. And people would still have peer-to-peer trading if they expect people to care a lot about what's on the double-back of their cards.

I think buy sell orders get complicated when you factor in the whole double back thing. Not sure if it REALLY matters all that much, but each card is a unique object. That being said, I would much prefer buy sell order system over the auction house.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Gross Dude posted:

I think buy sell orders get complicated when you factor in the whole double back thing. Not sure if it REALLY matters all that much, but each card is a unique object. That being said, I would much prefer buy sell order system over the auction house.

Letting full art cards and foils be their own separate categories covers most of that, and I'd believe that if there are some truly unique cards in the double-back, people would be able to handle them specially.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I think if you wanted a card with some cool history you would go with direct trading instead of using the auction house - my only reservation against a bid/ask system is that one of the annoying spergs on the official Hex forums keeps going on about it and so the idea has been poisoned by association

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
New article up about Hex mercenaries: https://hextcg.com/mercenary-for-hire/

TLDR: Mercs no longer gain experience/level as we were to assume from the kickstarter images and the potential complexity of mercenaries seemed to be substantially reduced.

They use the "best" example of Bebo which sounded like a terrible merc because all of his abilities did the same thing, which they seem to imply the new system is better for condensing those abilities, basically making them not much different than what we use now for drafts and PVP only with an extra passive ability.

If you look at something like the Glorfenblort merc on the kickstarter page condensing his abilities to a single passive and a single charge ability doesn't work as well using their example.

Kind of disappointing change in my opinion.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

katkillad2 posted:

Kind of disappointing change in my opinion.

I agree with this, I know that we never even got to use them, but leveling them up and having all these different abilities seemed cool to me. Now they just seem kind of boring. Maybe there wasn't enough design space.

E: I haven't checked the official forums yet, I'm sure there's a lot of bawling. I hate those forums, but I can't stay away.

• Locked thread