Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

blk posted:

a Mini parked across four spots

OK, that's actually kind of impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

May Contain Nuts posted:

Same problem in two different places:

Both green arrows have a green light at the same time, they each have a lane to turn into, and I don't think I've ever seen a car coming from the top turn into the outside lane. But whenever there are any cars coming from the top people coming from the bottom stop at the red line because they see cars coming.

The green arrow has its own lane, it isn't a merge lane that disappears, it just becomes a third lane on the road. Maybe I should be upset with the traffic engineer who decided a yield sign was needed when there is nobody to yield to, but people see the yield sign and just jam on the brakes even though they can see a whole open lane in front of them. It even has 30 yards of 'don't cross this line' so you can get some speed coming out of the turn.

We have that here. You have your own lane, just go. Most people do. Some people don't, there's a lot of honking when that happens. Most of the time, its because they want to get over to the left several lanes immediately rather than just go and merge over.

And this too, right across the street, is pretty lame when people just stop. You have your own lane to turn into. Do you know when people stop there? Its when they want to cut across the white lines like this fucker is doing here. Turn into your lane and merge over where the dashed lines are 20 yards ahead, douche.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The latest way drivers in my city have rapidly transformed is: "It's raining? Oh god my car might get wet, I better step on it"

So many hydroplaning incidents it's like Dali designed the fences.

(Hang on. I'm in Sweden. Part of driver's ed is learning to drive on slippery grounds and handle this stuff. Why are these people..?)

e: Rain ceased, people slowed down. This has to be a city-wide flashmob.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 2, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
CDOT has ripped up the road right outside my house, and it's always funny since there's a little drop where the ripped up portion starts. Dudes in the huge trucks and SUVs will slow down to 3 miles an hour to get over the bump, and people like me with their tiny sedans will just take it at 20 miles an hour and be fine.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I just observed someone stop at a red light, then casually roll on through to take a left turn. We have right on red, not left on red, bonehead.

I gave him a little honk to show it hadn't gone unnoticed and he violently swerved. He knows what he did.

Depends, is it a junction between two one-way streets? In that case, left on red is legal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Unless there's a sign prohibiting it, in which case it isn't. I've seen both of those weird little-known things (legal left-on-red-after-stop and one prohibited by a sign that would otherwise be legal) within one mile of each other before... Massachusetts, never change :allears:

(our roads were literally designed by wildlife.)

Protocol7 posted:

CDOT has ripped up the road right outside my house, and it's always funny since there's a little drop where the ripped up portion starts. Dudes in the huge trucks and SUVs will slow down to 3 miles an hour to get over the bump, and people like me with their tiny sedans will just take it at 20 miles an hour and be fine.

People will throw out the anchor on the highway for this poo poo too. After blithely ignoring and/or failing horribly at avoiding potholes that will swallow a basketball for the previous five miles. Do you care about your suspension or don't you?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

She literally swerved Juked in

Fixed it

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

thelightguy posted:

Depends, is it a junction between two one-way streets? In that case, left on red is legal.

True, but this was a 4 way intersection. To be fair, it's a really dumb intersection where the lights sometimes get stuck red for one direction for more than 3 minutes at a time when there's no cross traffic at all. That was not the case here, the guy was stopped for no more than 3 seconds.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

thelightguy posted:

In Oregon it doesn't even have to be two one ways. You can turn left on red onto a one way from a two way.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

In Oregon it doesn't even have to be two one ways. You can turn left on red onto a one way from a two way.

And a freeway on-ramp counts as a one-way. So you can turn left on red, from a two-way, onto a freeway on ramp.

However, hardly anyone knows about it or does it, so I am sure you would get honked at or even possibly pulled over if you were to do it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Only 5 people in the state seem to know this, though, and I end up honking at the rest (which never works, they sit there in dumbfoundment).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys guys, shut the gently caress up about people inconveniencing you by not turning left on reds when it's okay for them to do so, for I have seen the real enemy.

He went on the freeway on-ramp I had just gotten off of.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Geirskogul posted:

He went on the freeway on-ramp I had just gotten off of.

California?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Arizona. Close enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Protocol7 posted:

My drive to work used to be a 30 mph road with speed humps. It was 50/50 getting behind someone who would just do 35 the whole time (like me) and getting behind an SUV or pickup doing 20 and slowing to 10 on over the bumps.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I know this comes up once in awhile, but is there an accepted "best" dash cam, or a thread or something? I'm in the process of getting screwed out of a deductible after getting hit, and driving in northern Virginia makes me feel like a cam might come in handy again sometime.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

the milk machine posted:

I know this comes up once in awhile, but is there an accepted "best" dash cam, or a thread or something?

Yes

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Protocol7 posted:

This drives me up the loving wall. You paid all that money for a big engine with a fancy suspension and you're so afraid of bumps that wouldn't even bother a sedan that you'll stop traffic to crawl over them. gently caress

I just learned to be waaaaaaaaay more defensive driving, even in situations I never thought of being defensive in. I backed out of my parking spot at a grocery store, straightened out my car, switched to 1st gear and was about to drive away when an suv I thought was waiting for me to leave backs into my door. I miss my giant, ugly van. No one ever hosed with me

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Protocol7 posted:

The Door Frame posted:

This drives me up the loving wall. You paid all that money for a big engine with a fancy suspension and you're so afraid of bumps that wouldn't even bother a sedan that you'll stop traffic to crawl over them. gently caress

The part that always confuses me is that they slow to a crawl for the drop - which is nothing. But then they slam into the lip where the torn-up section stops at 80 mph without a care in the world. And they'll do it that way over and over again.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Astonishing Wang posted:

DesperateDan posted:

Took this walking my kids to school.

She literally swerved Juked in

Fixed it

:vince:

Nicely done

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Was sitting behind a 626 Cronos today with peeling clearcoat and rancid black-blue smoke on acceleration. We're turning left at the light, but he goes so slowly across the intersection I figure I'm going to get rear-ended.

Finally when we're on the straight again I look at his rear suspension and see a broken off rear swaybar endlink, with the swaybar dragging on the ground with a torn-out body mount hanging off of it. The whole mess drags on the asphalt when he hits a bump.

I felt like I should've pulled alongside him at the light, but "sway bar," "understeer" and "loving broken" are probably Greek to him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good call man, that was a pretty tight fit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

That's the most intense offroading an MDX has ever experienced. Driver probably got an adrenaline rush from it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Not blocking anyone else, yet leaving plenty of room to try and avoid mouthbreathers giving him door dings? You give that guy a fist bump, not a sarcastic put-down. He's one of us (save for his choice of car).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget, guys. There's no guarantee the car beside was the car he parked beside. Some jackass might have been over the yellow when he parked, pulled out and left, and then the Toyota pulled in the vacant spot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, good chance some idiot caused that by parking badly in the spot next to him first, and he's not in anyone else's way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In the last couple of weeks, I have formulated a hypothesis about identifying bad drivers before they have a chance of doing something stupid near you:

If you see a car with those stick-on aftermarket bubble mirrors, give them a wide berth.

Discuss.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

In the last couple of weeks, I have formulated a hypothesis about identifying bad drivers before they have a chance of doing something stupid near you:

If you see a car with those stick-on aftermarket bubble mirrors, give them a wide berth.

Discuss.

Or any of the following:

- political bumper stickers
- Anything hanging from the mirror
- mitsubishi badges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or:

Any form of powered conveyance. Legs, oil, or electricity.. doesn't matter.

Think that about covers it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you see a car with wheels, there's probably a bad driver at the helm.

If you see one without, it's likely there is still a bad driver at the helm, but they aren't a danger anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Discuss.

Same with those wide "Broadview" rear view mirrors. I also check for rear corner paint scrapes and lucky charms (of all ethnicities/religions, including crucifixes and statues of saints).

As for bumper stickers, there was that old study about how bumper stickers indicate aggressive drivers. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/study-bumper-stickers-aggressive-drivers/

I've always found it pretty odd that people refer to Canadians as "polite" with the bullshit that I see in traffic.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 3, 2014

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

MrChips posted:

Discuss.

I dunno, can you really flaw someone for wanting a better view of the road? Then again, most people don't have their mirrors adjusted right anyway, and have both side mirrors pointed straight back at the area you can already see in the rearview.

My car comes factory with some curved mirrors in the corner, and I have to say, it really does give me better awareness of what's going on behind me and to either side of me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xergm posted:

I dunno, can you really flaw someone for wanting a better view of the road? Then again, most people don't have their mirrors adjusted right anyway, and have both side mirrors pointed straight back at the area you can already see in the rearview.

My car comes factory with some curved mirrors in the corner, and I have to say, it really does give me better awareness of what's going on behind me and to either side of me.

Yeah, I used to put these on my car before manufacturers started making them a built-in standard feature. I think part of the problem is a LOT of the people who do use them fall into the "I couldn't tell the difference between the gas and brake pedal" elderly drivers who probably need to have their license taken away anyways.

Also agreeing that even with your mirrors adjusted properly you still can't eliminate the blind spot completely, whereas with a fisheye mirror you can pretty much see everything.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

kastein posted:

If you see one without, it's likely there is still a bad driver at the helm, but they aren't a danger anymore.

Counterpoint:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My last car had convex mirrors stuck on, I found that I always ended up using only the convex because they covered half of the flat section of mirror. The end result was my view always sucked because of distortion, properly adjusted flat mirrors are good enough in my opinion.

I can't post here without bitching about other drivers. On my last cross country excursion, I was passed by a new Infiniti going well over a hundred MPH. I had been in the left lane, as soon as I saw the car in rear view mirror I started to get over and nearly hit the Infiniti since they were right beside me. They swerved back around me and 15 seconds later I couldn't see the car anymore. An hour later, I saw the Infiniti owner in handcuffs with two police cruisers, a police SUV (chief?), and a tow truck, it made my day.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What happened there? Doriftu into a curb?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Tire blowout and they kept driving on the rim, grinding it down to an edge? It's a spoked wheel so once the rim wore down it'd just wedge into the concrete like you see there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ijustam posted:

Tire blowout and they kept driving on the rim, grinding it down to an edge? It's a spoked wheel so once the rim wore down it'd just wedge into the concrete like you see there.

No....from the other thread these were posted in they are most likely "toad" failures: flat towed vehicles behind an RV. The drivers are idiots and don't do their pre checks so they drive around oblivious to the people on the road flashing their lights/honking at them as their "toad" gets dragged along with a malfunctioning/stuck brake controller, front wheels cocked, parking brake on, or trans in park.

Moppingest
Nov 6, 2009
The road I take to/from work is about a 20 mile stretch of two lane (one lane each way) road with very sparse passing zones. The speed limit is 55 the whole entire way.

I generally set my cruise at 62-63 but I always end up stuck behind someone who slows to 40-50 when the lines are solid and speed up anywhere up to the posted speed limit or beyond when the passing lane opens. If the person maintains 55 and doesn't fluctuate too hard in speed, I don't mind cruising behind them, but it seems it's common practice to let go of the gas pedal until you get on an incline around here.. needless to say I pass people a lot during my commutes.

I generally try not to go more then 14 over when passing, but holy hell when I accelerate to 69 to pass most of the time the person I'm passing will be going faster than me once I'm beside them.

Beyond that, I always keep my distance, at least 3 seconds back. It doesn't seem to matter though because passing people seems like it's an insult to whoever is being passed.

Today I passed a RAV4 that was fluctuating between 45 and 50mph. After passing him, I began coming up on a motorcycle a couple of minutes later also going under the speed limit. I leisurely passed both of them without having to downshift or accelerate very hard. Also signaled the passes with turn signals in and out of the lane with a couple second warning before executing each pass.

I'm probably a good 20 car lengths in front of the RAV4 by the time I begin passing the motorcycle.

After I passed motorcycle guy, I can see the RAV4 rapidly increasing in size in my rearview, proceeds to get 2 feet off my bumper, flashes his lights on and off a few times before leaving his high beams on for the next 10-15 miles before we get to a light where he turns off and promptly shows me his tallest finger.

Why do people get so angry when being passed? I don't know if it should entertain me or scare me. Motorcycle dude didn't care, thanks motorcycle dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Moppingest posted:

Why do people get so angry when being passed? I don't know if it should entertain me or scare me. Motorcycle dude didn't care, thanks motorcycle dude.

Road rage is a bitch, I pass as fast as possible if I suspect the driver is going to be a dick. 90% of my passing is done with no change to the cruise control but sometimes people are assholes.

I passed a Jetta, I was doing the limit + 5, I assume the Jetta was doing the speed limit,just your average booring pass. A few miles late the Jetta flew past and proceeded to take over the left lane. After the Jetta left my view for a couple miles, the driver would slow back down so that I would come right back up beside them in the middle lane and the Jetta would go zooming off again. Naturally, this was always happening right when I was behind a slower vehicle in the middle lane, so I would have to brake hard to let the Jetta pass and speed off into the distance only to be seen again the next mile. I was amazed the rear end in a top hat took such a personal vendetta against my car and absolutely refused to let me pass him so many times.