Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Belarus maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

spankmeister posted:

Belarus maybe.

Azerbaijan has a rather hilarious cult of personality and pretty serious political repression, but that's less about truly totalitarian government and more about staying in power as long as possible to get as rich as possible. Same thing is the case in several of the former Soviet 'Stans, most notably Turkmenistan.

But really other than NK you'd be hard pressed to find a truly totalitarian state these days...everyone else just falls somewhere on the spectrum between authoritarian and totalitarian, and even then the ruling class in NK doesn't give a poo poo about any of their bullshit, they're just doing the same "stay in power as long as possible to get as rich as possible" thing as the countries listed above.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Saudi Arabia

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

iyaayas01 posted:

Azerbaijan has a rather hilarious cult of personality and pretty serious political repression, but that's less about truly totalitarian government and more about staying in power as long as possible to get as rich as possible. Same thing is the case in several of the former Soviet 'Stans, most notably Turkmenistan.

But really other than NK you'd be hard pressed to find a truly totalitarian state these days...everyone else just falls somewhere on the spectrum between authoritarian and totalitarian, and even then the ruling class in NK doesn't give a poo poo about any of their bullshit, they're just doing the same "stay in power as long as possible to get as rich as possible" thing as the countries listed above.

With the ruling class in North Korea it's more stay in power so they have food to eat. It's the worst humanitarian crisis in the world bar perhaps sub-Saharan Africa.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ethiopia and Eritrea are both unbelievably totalitarian; like on the level of North Korea and perhaps further in some aspects. But they're in Africa so nobody cares.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MrChips posted:

Ethiopia and Eritrea are both unbelievably totalitarian; like on the level of North Korea and perhaps further in some aspects. But they're in Africa so nobody cares.

Isn't Eritrea the one that "taxes" a percentage of all their ex-pats income to go directly to the dictator on the assumption that bad things will happen to their families back home if they don't pay?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
As of last month, the CIA has an official twitter account.
Bizzaro nature of the whole idea aside, they've been posting U2 artifacts and documents all week to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the platform.

Personally, I'm hoping they go all the way with this:

quote:

@CIA: @MullahFazlullah u just got hellfired bro, u mad?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

quote:

@CIA: @ToraBoraBestBora lol in ur base killin ur doodz

edit:

quote:

@CIA: @Radda_al_Bayda let's raise the roof on this wedding

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 3, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
This AVX entry for an Army helicopter contract is really weird. For some reason it looks like it should be flying in the opposite direction. I'm not saying it's a bad design, there's just something about it that looks like a highly unpopular G.I. Joe toy. Also be sure to watch the video for some great 1990s CGI:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
^^^I too enjoy being sucked into a ducted fan when I use the side door.

quote:

@CIA: Got your room ready. Hope you like force-feeding! RT@HMPrisonSvc: the @ECtHR has lifted its injunction against extraditing @AbuHamza #Gitmo

quote:

@CIA: @ContraNicaragua please unfollow me an stop retweeting. It's over.

quote:

@CIA: Just passed @TheRealSoleimani in the hall at Iraqi Army HQ. No eye contact. Lol, Awkward! #frenemies?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 3, 2014

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Isn't Eritrea the one that "taxes" a percentage of all their ex-pats income to go directly to the dictator on the assumption that bad things will happen to their families back home if they don't pay?

No, that's the US.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

poo poo you're right, I can't believe I forgot Eritrea. I dunno if I'd classify Ethiopia as totalitarian since it doesn't really have the cult of personality aspect (don't get me wrong, the government is still horribly repressive so I'm really playing semantics here) but holy poo poo, Eritrea and the PFDJ is like something out of a bad movie.

Also

quote:

@al-Balawi: @CIA dusted bro

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Zimbabwe. A bit less so since Mugabe lost his own rigged election though.

There's a bunch of states in Africa which would probably qualify better if the central government were more powerful than a little league coach.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 4, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Zimbabwe. A bit less so since Mugabe lost his own rigged election though.

There's a bunch of states in Africa which would probably qualify better if the central government were more powerful than a little league coach.

Losing an election you rigged is truly a new level of incompetence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The entire F-35 fleet is grounded. I post this less as a "lol F-35" post and more as another example of a plane that's already unpopular hitting the news in a bad way.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You know a place is completely hosed up when Human Rights Watch hangs a "most repressive" title on them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mlmp08 posted:

The entire F-35 fleet is grounded. I post this less as a "lol F-35" post and more as another example of a plane that's already unpopular hitting the news in a bad way.

I heard something about that in a news blurb, the engine caught fire in one? Is there a shakedown related reason?

Thought the single engine was so reliable now we don't neeeeeed 2 engines for arctic patrol etc etc

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There have apparently been fire issues for a while, but in the process of going that route, something decided to rip out the spine of one of the jets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They don't yet know what caused the engine to catch fire. It did so on the tarmac/runway, and the pilot got out without ejecting, and AFAIK, the engine was put out in a timely manner.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Somewhere, someone is about to launch a gloatfest over the second engine option

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

They don't yet know what caused the engine to catch fire. It did so on the tarmac/runway, and the pilot got out without ejecting, and AFAIK, the engine was put out in a timely manner.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/02/us-lockheed-fighter-inspections-idUKKBN0F72F020140702 posted:

The incident involved the third stage of the F135 engine built by Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies Corp, for all three models of the new warplane, the sources said. "The engine ripped through the top of the plane," one said.

One of the sources said the engine involved - and about six feet of debris found on the runway around the jet - were shipped to Pratt's West Palm Beach facility on Tuesday for a more detailed inspection.

Third stage fan...again...sounds familiar.........more ellipsis...

http://aviationweek.com/defense/f-35-engine-fan-blows-during-f135-trial

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The engine just wanted to be freed from the shackles of that ugly, ugly plane.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

priznat posted:

I heard something about that in a news blurb, the engine caught fire in one? Is there a shakedown related reason?

Thought the single engine was so reliable now we don't neeeeeed 2 engines for arctic patrol etc etc

This thing has to be the biggest boondoggle in the history of military development boondoggles.

Some of the things I've read about it;

- The stealth coating peels off in flight.

- It's limited to carrying only four missiles internally to maintain its stealth profile, which is shittier than the F22's stealth profile to begin with. To carry more ordnance you lose the stealth which brings us to the next problem.

- It has less range, a lower speed, slower climb rate and is less maneuverable than its contemporaries. So if you do carry more bombs and forgo stealth you are at a complete disadvantage.

Basically the entire design has been hosed with the compromises forced on it by the stupid marine VTOL requirement. Why do people even listen to the marines?

It disgusts me to see torie shitheel Tony Abbott committing Australia to purchasing more of these shitheaps and doing it by gutting our world class welfare system. We should be pulling out of this train wreck and buying a good plane that would meet our countries needs like the Rafale or Grippen. Or gently caress even just upgrade and expand our F/A18 fleet to incorporate some of the EW models.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 4, 2014

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Execu-speak posted:

F/A18 fleet to incorporate some of the EW models.

We are already doing that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

iyaayas01 posted:

Azerbaijan has a rather hilarious cult of personality

Gurpgork

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Execu-speak posted:

It disgusts me to see torie shitheel Tony Abbott committing Australia to purchasing more of these shitheaps and doing it by gutting our world class welfare system.

Jesus, really? That is like cartoon villain level. That's some straight-up Eisenhower farewell speech poo poo. Can you really directly link social welfare cuts to the F-35 purchase in Australia?

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus, really? That is like cartoon villain level. That's some straight-up Eisenhower farewell speech poo poo. Can you really directly link social welfare cuts to the F-35 purchase in Australia?

In the same fortnight he announced expanding our buy in the JSF program his government released a budget designed to rip funds out of welfare/education/healthcare.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arglebargle III posted:

Modern Commonwealth Politics, really

Canada recently gutted its environmental laws protecting lakes and ponds because the Conservatives didn't want laws to interfere with their friend's oil pipeline construction

Some places retained the laws - they were all in conservative districts

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Execu-speak posted:

It disgusts me to see torie shitheel Tony Abbott committing Australia to purchasing more of these shitheaps and doing it by gutting our world class welfare system. We should be pulling out of this train wreck and buying a good plane that would meet our countries needs like the Rafale or Grippen. Or gently caress even just upgrade and expand our F/A18 fleet to incorporate some of the EW models.

The Australian Financial Review says the F-35 is better because:

quote:

First, history. The Menzies government’s 1963 purchase of the F-111 aircraft faced cost blowouts and a decade of delays which, like the JSF delays, forced the then government to acquire interim fighters. Yet the F-111 proved one of the country’s most effective and durable ­aircraft. Technical difficulties and cost blowouts in aircraft development are common and are irrelevant to the ­eventual operational performance of the delivered aircraft.

Second, commitment. The US and its partners have bet the farm on the success of the JSF as their frontline, multi-role fighter. So it is arguably too important to fail – and the US military aviation record leaves little doubt they have the ­technological competence and creativity to overcome developmental difficulties.

Third, combat realities. Modern air combat is not about daredevils in leather helmets and long white silk scarves ­dog-fighting over the hedgerows of the Western Front. Superior engine power, over-the-horizon radar, stealth tech­nology and air-to-air missiles are the keys to success. First radar lock wins the fight. There is no credible evidence that ­Chinese or Russian fighters now in­ ­development will be superior to the JSF.

Fourth, systems integration. The JSF is not a stand-alone aircraft. It will be part of an integrated system of systems involving in-air refuelling, AWACS and Growler electronic warfare aircraft. These ­integrated systems with their wide-area ability to share information will provide massive force multiplier effects. To all that you can probably add the JSF’s ­potential integration with surface and sub-surface warships.

Finally, the alternatives. The Russian and Chinese alternatives are non-starters given Australia’s western alliance arrangements. The European possibilities – Eurofighter, Rafale and Gripon – would not fit easily with Australia’s US Hornet history. So, as Andrew Davies of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute has observed, “there wasn’t actually much choice”.

These arguments are funny. The F-111's maintenance cost is what eventually killed it and it was never sent in actual combat. The commitment argument is herd mentality. Combat realities ignore that radars can be detected passively, no matter how stealthy you are, and effective BVR combat will often be forbidden by rules of engagement, since if you're not in a total war, shooting down a non-enemy aircraft is kind of frowned upon and you will need to confirm target identity before you open fire. Fourth argument is funny because honestly how is "you will also need other planes" an argument in favor of the JSF at all? Oh well, good thing the F-35 will finally be there to pioneer radical new technologies never before seen onboard jet fighters, such as link 16 or in-flight refueling. All these air forces who had bought costly AWACS and tankers in the past and never got to use them because the F-35 Lightning II was not yet available must have felt pretty dumb. Finally, about the US Hornet history, he forgot the RAAF had five squadrons flying over a hundred Mirages III up to the late 80s. Also he spells "Gripen" wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How do you punish a corporation that has gone far over budget and delivered a substandard product that is at present grounded?

By trying to woo more of their business for a new bomber program and give them nearly a half a bil tax break!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bomber-tax-break-20140704-story.html

quote:

The tax credit, argued Lockheed Vice President Gregory M. Ulmer, would help prepare a lower-cost bid. However, he didn't rule out the possibility that Lockheed would build the planes in other states, if California failed to pass the incentive bill quickly.

loving :lol:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm disappointed it wasn't in the movie.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

benito posted:

This AVX entry for an Army helicopter contract is really weird. For some reason it looks like it should be flying in the opposite direction. I'm not saying it's a bad design, there's just something about it that looks like a highly unpopular G.I. Joe toy. Also be sure to watch the video for some great 1990s CGI:

They also want to upgrade the OH-58D Kiowa with a two rotor/two ducted fan design. It also has a pretty awesome video.

http://www.avxaircraft.com/oh-58f-avx-modification/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Loses the Mast Mounted Sight? LAME.

Peeking over trees is cool as heck.

Also MD500 NOTAR already exists.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So some old lady broke a bottle of whisky on a large boat today.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

So some old lady broke a bottle of whisky on a large boat today.

"Sooooo...have you gotten any planes for it yet?"

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The British certainly have recent experience with building and operating marine nuclear reactors. If the primary purpose of a carrier is long-range force projection, does anyone know why they chose conventional propulsion for their new one?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If Scotland does vote for independence, we're going to face a serious issue of where to house our nuclear subs. So probably a combination of cost and hassle.

Given the amount of time these are going to be around for, I do believe the failure to make for an affordable conversion to cats and traps will come continue to hurt us down the road. Not just over the eternal F35B vs F35C but for the limiting effect it'll have on future procurement.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hogmartin posted:

The British certainly have recent experience with building and operating marine nuclear reactors. If the primary purpose of a carrier is long-range force projection, does anyone know why they chose conventional propulsion for their new one?

Really really expensive, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
'Queen Elizabeth' is a silly name for a warship