Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LargeHadron posted:

I don't think I want to do that. Is there a way to get around this with what I have?

Not really. If you can afford medium format stuff, you can probably afford a $100 Epson V500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Man from that image I can't even figure out how you got it to look the way you did. I guess I'm not working with the original file but still.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

toby posted:

Man from that image I can't even figure out how you got it to look the way you did. I guess I'm not working with the original file but still.

A fuckload of curves and even some split toning to neutralize color casts.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Not really. If you can afford medium format stuff, you can probably afford a $100 Epson V500.

Well that doesn't sound too expensive at all. I had assumed that a cheap film scanner would be as lovely or shittier than a janky dSLR scan.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

A fuckload of curves and even some split toning to neutralize color casts.

If your negative was scanned correctly you would only need minimal curves.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

If your negative was scanned correctly you would only need minimal curves.

I'll probably end up just buying the stupid V500, but for argument's sake couldn't I just turn down the reds in the iPad light (and scan with a turqoise-ish backlight) to avoid clipping them? Says the guy who doesn't have a very good grasp on color theory.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LargeHadron posted:

I'll probably end up just buying the stupid V500, but for argument's sake couldn't I just turn down the reds in the iPad light (and scan with a turqoise-ish backlight) to avoid clipping them? Says the guy who doesn't have a very good grasp on color theory.

No.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, so I think my new scanner is defective.

I've been noticing a blue line of pixels across a lot of my images. Initially, I was just excited to scan so I ignored it. I think I assumed it was coming from the place developing my photos. Then today, I had a bit of free time and tested it with negatives processed at a different photo place, and the scans also have the line. I bought it only last month, so it should be under warranty.

Example:

img372 by spikemccue, on Flickr

Detail of line:

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 10.23.55 AM by spikemccue, on Flickr

Is there anyway this is something I could fix, or should I just return it as defective?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doing some research, it looks like a problem with the "calibration" area, on the bed. Usually a bit of dust or something. Can anyone confirm this?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

Doing some research, it looks like a problem with the "calibration" area, on the bed. Usually a bit of dust or something. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes. Make sure the glass near the top of the bed (both top and bottom) are 100% dust-free.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I had a bad habit of blowing dust from my negatives towards the top (back) of the scanner - after a few dusty rolls I started to have this exact same issue. There's a small gap behind where the holders are and where the glass ends, that's the calibration area. Just make sure it's the cleanest part of your scanner.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Alright, thanks. Good to know it's just good ol user error.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Happened to me recently too but since I was shooting slides, the line was pale yellow instead.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Oh good to know, that happens to me sometimes and I had assumed it was damage to the negs from the lab.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

Oh good to know, that happens to me sometimes and I had assumed it was damage to the negs from the lab.

Damage to the negs usually are thin blue lines, and they're usually not super straight. Sometimes if the scratch goes deep it's magenta with a blue border.

If you're guessing that's because of how the layers of color dye are organized on the neg you would be right.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ok so I'm looking to pick up a scanner for film. I'll be shooting 120/220 on a Pentax 6x7, so 55x70mm negatives.

From what I can tell, I should get something like the Epson V600 or so.

Is it worth the price difference vs the V550, and how is the V550 anyways? I've only heard people talking about the V500 and V600 (and the V700 as well), but never anything about the 550.

V500: $185
V550: $170
V600: $210

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I got a v500 from Epson's Refurbished/Clearance section for $100 shipped. You can use the saved money for a betterscanning holder or more film.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Perfection-V500-Photo-Scanner-/201121330391?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item2ed3c3f4d7

From what I know they are all more or less the same. The v500 is the oldest, then came the v600, then v550. They all have the same quality of scan.

daspope fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 4, 2014

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Wild EEPROM posted:

V500: $185
V550: $170
V600: $210

:psyduck: Did something happen to the film scanner market while I wasn't looking? I was about to ask where you live, but Adorama seems to confirm those prices. I bought my v600 from them for $160 a couple years back and the v500 was only around $120.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

TheLastManStanding posted:

:psyduck: Did something happen to the film scanner market while I wasn't looking? I was about to ask where you live, but Adorama seems to confirm those prices. I bought my v600 from them for $160 a couple years back and the v500 was only around $120.

I'm in Canada, and it seemed weird that people were talking about sub-$100 v500 and such.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Is there any notable difference between the V500 and V550? On amazon the V550 is going for about €220, someone locally is selling the V500 with a €200 asking price (which can probably be talked down a bit).

Looking at all the US/Canada prices is depressing..

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

If this is more applicable to another thread, please direct me.

I've willingly/stubbornly taken on the task of chronologically sorting and scanning all of my family photos. I have thousands of photos.

I've read the first few and last pages of the thread, and it seems like it's mostly negative discussion.

I'm an amateur with babies first scanner (bought because it was cheap and I needed to print school stuff).

My goal is to sort and book and scan everything.

I know doing this on my own will take hundreds of hours. Is there a user-friendly site where I can upload everything? I want family to be able to click and print whatever images they choose.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

fork bomb posted:

I know doing this on my own will take hundreds of hours. Is there a user-friendly site where I can upload everything? I want family to be able to click and print whatever images they choose.

Picasa?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'm thinking I should calibrate my scanner with an IT8 target, but $200+ from B&H for something I'll probably use once is a bit steep. If I made a post in the buy / sell thread, would anyone be happy to rent one out for a few weeks? Or are they absolutely worth the money and I'm just being tight?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Baron Dirigible posted:

I'm thinking I should calibrate my scanner with an IT8 target, but $200+ from B&H for something I'll probably use once is a bit steep. If I made a post in the buy / sell thread, would anyone be happy to rent one out for a few weeks? Or are they absolutely worth the money and I'm just being tight?

An IT8 target for which slide film?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

maxmars posted:

An IT8 target for which slide film?
I honestly didn't realise they were film-specific, since I've only seen targets for Provia. But now I'm looking around and seeing targets for Velvia, Ektachrome etc so I'm wondering if it's even worth calibrating if I'm going to shoot a variety of slide films? Maybe I'm naive but I figured the IT8 calibration would use a single reference image (i.e. a neutral Provia target) to compensate for the specific unit's variances. Is anything better than nothing, or is it only worth calibrating with Provia if I'm scanning Provia?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

I honestly didn't realise they were film-specific, since I've only seen targets for Provia. But now I'm looking around and seeing targets for Velvia, Ektachrome etc so I'm wondering if it's even worth calibrating if I'm going to shoot a variety of slide films? Maybe I'm naive but I figured the IT8 calibration would use a single reference image (i.e. a neutral Provia target) to compensate for the specific unit's variances. Is anything better than nothing, or is it only worth calibrating with Provia if I'm scanning Provia?

You calibrate the scanner for each slide film so when you're scanning that slide film, you just load in the appropriate slide profile in the scanner software.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Baron Dirigible posted:

You could start with a similar target, but then you'd have to customize it. This is also needed if you switch from an ISO to another of the same film type. To me, it wasn't worth it.
You can just build your own calibration profile from scratch, using a few reference slides (e.g. one with lots of greens, like a forest, one with whatever your homies skin color is, etc)
I have saved a different VueScan profile for each combination of lens - film I shoot with, it's even more specific than IT8 targets, it's not that time consuming (well, after you have created a couple, at least..) and it's free of course.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Thanks, that doesn't sound worth the money at all. I'll have a look into making my own profiles.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Good thread title

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I got an epson V550 and the thing is already covered in bits of dust and tiny hair, what's the best way to clean these things and keep them clean?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Fedora Brandisher posted:

I got an epson V550 and the thing is already covered in bits of dust and tiny hair, what's the best way to clean these things and keep them clean?

Windex, a microfiber cloth, and compressed air/a rocket blower.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:stonk:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah, uuuuuuh don't windex a scanner. For real.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Uh, crisis averted I guess..

Edit: I found this, it's saying to use a small amount of glass cleaner if the poo poo won't come off.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 14, 2014

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I use a Giottos goat hair brush, a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, microfiber and canned air. Don't use Windex.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Is this bad for glass or something? I've never heard anything like that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Genderfluid posted:

Is this bad for glass or something? I've never heard anything like that

Ammonia can dissolve the coatings off glass and melt or fog some kinds of plastic and it's volatile. Generally it's a no-no near photographic equipment of any kind.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I don't know of any flatbeds with anything but uncoated, plain glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ammonia can dissolve the coatings off glass and melt or fog some kinds of plastic and it's volatile. Generally it's a no-no near photographic equipment of any kind.

Scanners use coated glass? I wouldn't clean a lens with Windex but I've never seen any damage to a scanner from it. Then again, my flatbed experience is somewhat limited.

• Locked thread