Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiler Kiwi posted:

My guess; pathfinding madness where dwarves get stuck in loops, and keep trying to take paths that wind up breaking all their bones, causing other dwarves to fall down whatever chasm they tried to climb in order to claim the precious socks.

Dwarves inexplicably wear nothing but socks on every body part. Except their feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Invaders will draw from any part of the world, including dead entities, gods, your own fort; sometimes a siege will come and half your dwarves will teleport across the map to join their camp which is also full of nothing but bones, vampires, and deities.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Dwarves attempt to comfort sad invaders and vice versa

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Mister Adequate posted:

Actually on this note, do you happen to know if there's an upper limit to the size trees can grow? It'd be pretty neat to arrive at Yggdrasil and chop it down just to upset the Elves, or indeed to play like Elves and live in the tree's boughs and branches and hollowed-out trunk.

The new raws dictate both the maximum height and width of the trunk in addition to the canopy and roots, so whatever constraints those have I guess. The samples Toady posted don't have highwood trees, so I don't know about any upper bounds. I don't think you can have branches thick enough to walk or build on, though.

Dwarves only know how to fell trees. Elf sites seem to be the only ones who know how to hollow them out like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The sock scattering problem suddenly makes sense when you remember that Toady hasn't programmed contraception yet.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

:siren: TWBT 4.14 out for all no platforms other than the OSX. Aside from changes in the rendering method, there's now the DFHack command mapshot that takes an enormous single screenshot of the entire site!

e: oh and they're all mislabeled, it only works on OSX right now! what a gaffe

scamtank fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 3, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

:siren:You need to be more responsible with your use of the siren emoticon with a new version on the horizon

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nah, that's definitely worth frog sirens.

In plugin news, Mifki is making good progress on the Windows version of TWBT that has that vaunted more-than-one-tile-size-on-screen functionality.

16x16:

16x16 and 10x15:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 3, 2014

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

Nah, that's definitely worth frog sirens.

In plugin news, Mifki is making good progress on the Windows version of TWBT that has that vaunted more-than-one-tile-size-on-screen functionality.

16x16:

16x16 and 10x15:

This stuff makes me hard. Can't wait for it all to work as well on Windows!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shibawanko posted:

The sock scattering problem suddenly makes sense when you remember that Toady hasn't programmed contraception yet.

Are you suggesting that socks reproduce?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Neurion posted:

Would this being a bug in the new version suprise you?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NuminaXLT posted:

Would this being a bug in the new version suprise you?

Only slightly more surprised then if geese hatched iron chairs.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I just got back from France and am now committed to making Dwarf Louvre. From what I gather, there is a major overhaul update coming out shortly so I should hold off for that? I thought I remembered reading that Toady went nuts and released the source code before checking into rehab or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neurion posted:

Yes. They lay statues, which explode into hundreds of socks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So I just got back from France and am now committed to making Dwarf Louvre. From what I gather, there is a major overhaul update coming out shortly so I should hold off for that? I thought I remembered reading that Toady went nuts and released the source code before checking into rehab or something.

Yep, that all happened the same time as the latest release dropped, earlier today.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Neurion posted:

I'm suggesting the dwarves, for lack of condoms, put the socks on their cocks and discard the cum-stained footwear in the hallways after they are done loving. That's what I was suggesting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I thought I remembered reading that Toady went nuts and released the source code before checking into rehab or something.

If only :(

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there any way to restrict certain jobs (e.g. masons) to only use certain materials without locking them into a workshop with said material? Trying to get my rear end in a top hat dwarves to make microcline tables has become a chore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Set up a stockpile that only has the materials you want to use, set that stockpile to give to a specific mason shop, only order tables from that shop. Yes you're still tied to a specific shop, but you don't have to lock anyone in or anything. Any dwarf that completes a job at that shop will only use materials available from the stockpiles that are giving to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you can do it with workflow, too, if you put the right thing in the dfhack command. Or create the job for table, and use dfhack's job-material command to make it microcline.

I think?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Set up a stockpile that only has the materials you want to use, set that stockpile to give to a specific mason shop, only order tables from that shop. Yes you're still tied to a specific shop, but you don't have to lock anyone in or anything. Any dwarf that completes a job at that shop will only use materials available from the stockpiles that are giving to it.

This worked beautifully, thank you :)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shibawanko posted:

I'm suggesting the dwarves, for lack of condoms, put the socks on their cocks and discard the cum-stained footwear in the hallways after they are done loving. That's what I was suggesting.

Poppycock! We all know dwarves are constantly emitting a fine mist of reproductive materials!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Neurion posted:

Poppycock! We all know dwarves are constantly emitting a fine mist of reproductive materials!

and/or bodily waste, for that matter

Toady really needs to implement toilets, sewers and other waste disposal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Slightly better support for plumbing (to deal with features already in the game) wouldn't be too bad, but other than that no, those things can stay abstracted for all I care.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Routing your sewage into the underground should piss of the animal people living there and any deep sites 'downstream'.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If I can't fertilize fields with a mixture of dwarf poo poo and goblin/forgotton beast innards, Dwarf Fortress isn't yet complete. If I can't drown an elf in a 'crop field undergoing extreme fertilization', Dwarf Fortress isn't yet complete.

If I can't buy out a caravan with a load of Shitbarrels (fired and glazed, of course) full of 'fertilizer'...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if I can't bury a dozen barrels of manure under my trade depot and later detonate them, annihilating the elven caravan standing in it..

DF isn't complete.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

Toady really needs to implement toilets, sewers and other waste disposal.
I think he is refusing to do that because it would immediately add a whole new level of terror to drowning traps.

The truth, however, is that dwarves expel waste in the form of vermin, which cats then kill. The vermin then rots away, generating the miasma upon which plants feed. This previously undiscovered aspect of Cat/Dwarf symbiosis demonstrates the need for more research and studies in the area.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Pickled Tink posted:

The truth, however, is that dwarves expel waste in the form of vermin,

So like Richard Gere, but in reverse?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think adding poo poo, piss, cum, dwarf sex, and blood pools, would be creepy and weird.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So I slacked off on getting my defenses working and my militia trained, and then goblins happened.

They brought elves with them too. This game :allears:

e: One dwarf actually managed to survive, a fey gemcutter who was away from the carnage making an artifact. So now I have a legendary gemcutter living alone in a fortress full of ghosts and dog carcasses.

Catts fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 4, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Whoops, wrong thread, though a nice Battletech mod of DF would be awesome.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 4, 2014

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Turtlicious posted:

I think adding poo poo, piss, cum, dwarf sex, and blood pools, would be creepy and weird.

The day I can surround my fortress with a moat of ground-up captured goblin blood will be a good day. :colbert:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

The modding forum has a 3-page thread about adding balls to male creatures that'd use DFHack magic to sterilize the victim if they're severed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So, uh ETA on new DF?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Baloogan posted:

So, uh ETA on new DF?

quote:

Is it out yet?

No, it's still not out yet. :frogsiren: PROJECTED RELEASE TIME: NEXT GODDAMN WEEK :siren:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When next week?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maybe if Bad Munki would update the OP already.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TildeATH posted:

Whoops, wrong thread, though a nice Battletech mod of DF would be awesome.

close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That reminds me, there's now competition on the WW2 mod market!!