Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Also (and I should have asked this in the first post) is this a game where I can just kind of hop in and out as time permits or does it require dedicated chunks of time to really enjoy it/progress?

I only ask because I'm not an unemployed kid anymore so I don't always have entire blocks of time to just sit around and play games anymore. It's nice to be able to just hop on for 30 minutes or an hour and feel like I've actually been productive (or as productive as playing video games gets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010
I go on holiday and don't play for 2 weeks, 8.6GB update! Welcome to Planetside.

Why on earth is my beautiful server now called Emerald, KV lied.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

WarLocke posted:

If I install this game to try it out am I just going to not know what the gently caress and be constantly headshot by dudes who have been playing FPS game forever and eventually get so frustrated I quit?

Play with other Goons, this has got to be the most important step to enjoying this game. GOKU and GOON are both actively recruiting, check the OP for details, hop on Mumble, shot mans, get paid. I don't know about the manguard sloth packers, but if you're on during a decent night of GOKU you'll have pretty clear objectives, make sure you know how to redeploy ("U" by default, most vets have it bound to "Delete").

There are some insanely skilled players that will seem like they are cheating, but the main cause of death for new players is the continuously changing 360 degree battlefield that this game takes place in. Enemies can generally be attacking you from any side at any time.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Badgerpoo posted:

Why on earth is my beautiful server now called Emerald, KV lied.
Emerald was the name KV wanted all along, he puppetmastered both sides into a middling yet controversial tie in the Server Smash in order to push through his "neutral" server name suggestion.

You been played, son.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

WarLocke posted:

Also (and I should have asked this in the first post) is this a game where I can just kind of hop in and out as time permits or does it require dedicated chunks of time to really enjoy it/progress?

I only ask because I'm not an unemployed kid anymore so I don't always have entire blocks of time to just sit around and play games anymore. It's nice to be able to just hop on for 30 minutes or an hour and feel like I've actually been productive (or as productive as playing video games gets).

Simple answer is yes. Sometimes I play during my lunch break at work for 45 minutes. Once you take a few minutes to learn the squad/outfit menu and the map you can very easily find large or small fights on any of the various continents.

You don't have to be an ace MLG pro to be successful that Planetside 2. Support classes are very much appreciated and make a boat-load of free certs by dropping ammo, repairing anything around them and healing or reviving team mates. Start slow and get the hang of what the fighting is like and in no time you'll be spending 10,000 station cash on hats, shatter camo and sunderer horns like the rest of us.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I usually have an hour free in the morning that I can reliably get a handful of certs during playing support. I can't really tolerate this game for more than an 1-2 hours at a stretch, though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

stuffthatneverhappens.txt

Mass rocket response is my #1 go to when I'm leading and GOON does this all of the time. Ever since the Phoenix tweaks it's been my AV go-to

Vanguards are for making lesser factions respond to, not for responding to lesser factions : colbert:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Epic High Five posted:

Apply to the outfit [K0TH] HANK HILL APPRECIATION STATION and I'll accept the invite when I get home

Applied as "AbigfathamLincoln". The NC have been really going full retard during most alerts and everyone is too "UGH THIS SUCKS" in most squads to have fun playing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Applied as "AbigfathamLincoln". The NC have been really going full retard during most alerts and everyone is too "UGH THIS SUCKS" in most squads to have fun playing.

I still find myself having trouble mustering up any concern about alerts, though now I'm not sure if it's alert fatigue or if it's just that my #1 prerogative of "find good fights; stay at good fights" being met means that alerts just do not even register, especially since lately they're just the same kind of mega hellzerging you got during WDS 2.0

Either way, I'll get you in. I think I'm going to be leading more TR nights in an effort to force some people to step up and lead in GOON so that it's not the same 3-4 people doing it 90% of the time. It's suuuuuuper easy to do guyz

edit -
v v v well some of us just want to zone out and space farm and space follow yellow space arrows sometimes :dukedog: v v v

double edit - also the TR most certainly count as space broke. I think I'm going to lead more TR nights just because I so very much enjoy the gaga reactions people have using all the TR's ridiculous poo poo

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Epic High Five posted:

Either way, I'll get you in. I think I'm going to be leading more TR nights in an effort to force some people to step up and lead in GOON so that it's not the same 3-4 people doing it 90% of the time. It's suuuuuuper easy to do guyz

If it ain't space broke, don't space fix it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So... if I pull a lib and get my maximum nanites capped and income reduced... my gunner should be full up when we die.

Death to the esf! Long live the new libs!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god the libsperg pocalypse is nigh.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man, it's no Cyclone (because I'm a versatility whore) but goddamn it HA+Armistice is just broken as all hell. It's like the Phoenix before it lost its OHKO on infantry, just sort of...lead your cursor to somewhere on the target, then collect certs as they cannot stop you

honda whisperer posted:

So... if I pull a lib and get my maximum nanites capped and income reduced... my gunner should be full up when we die.

Death to the esf! Long live the new libs!

This was my thought too, we're going to have to get groups of battle gal super spergs so we can still have one up in the air constantly.

It seems like this revamp is going to really punish people who pull AMSes and Galaxies for transport. Losing probably 2/3 of your nanites just to head into a battle seems rough. I wouldn't mind sundies and gals being on a secondary timer or resource to be honest, given how lovely redeploy hopping has been lately.

I guess you could argue battle gals and battle buses but they're pretty marginal, and will be moreso after the bulldog nerf.

Gonkish posted:

Oh my god the libsperg pocalypse is nigh.

If I believed for a second that this would affect Liberators even a tiny amount I'd be happy, but because the gunner can just pull one immediately after they're unlikely to even notice the change.

The well-balanced ESFs will be punished quite harshly by this though, but even then only the ones who want to be in the air 24/7, and who cares about them

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

If I install this game to try it out am I just going to not know what the gently caress and be constantly headshot by dudes who have been playing FPS game forever and eventually get so frustrated I quit?

I'm not especially good at shooters but I do just fine. It'll take a little bit of time to get the hang of how the game functions since it's a bit more complex than a Call of Duty team deathmatch or whatever, but once you get over that bump and start figuring out things like "where are the fights at", it shouldn't be too bad. Highly recommend playing a lot of medic/engineer at first. They're easier for new players, they give you a better sense of what's going on, and they make tons of exp.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sir_Charles posted:

Maybe, but if you join an outfit (GOON, GOKU or even a pubbie outfit) it will make it immensely more enjoyable. The real trick to this game is having a group you can coordinate with.

This is categorically wrong, and you know it, Charles. Th REAL trick is have people who are willing to pull poo poo and let you gun.

Epic High Five posted:

Either way, I'll get you in. I think I'm going to be leading more TR nights in an effort to force some people to step up and lead in GOON so that it's not the same 3-4 people doing it 90% of the time. It's suuuuuuper easy to do guys.

You and I both know drat well it has nothing to do with difficulty and everything to do with the fact that most of us stupidly bought command chat.

Don't send me back in there, man. I'll lead TR squads since I don't have it unlocked on Il, but I can't listen to Stew or Wisdomcube for even one more minute.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

This is categorically wrong, and you know it, Charles. Th REAL trick is have people who are willing to pull poo poo and let you gun.

You and I both know drat well it has nothing to do with difficulty and everything to do with the fact that most of us stupidly bought command chat.

Don't send me back in there, man. I'll lead TR squads since I don't have it unlocked on Il, but I can't listen to Stew or Wisdomcube for even one more minute.

Is there even a way to turn that off? I also stupidly bought command chat a long time ago but have resigned myself to just muting it (which still activates the ducking of game sounds, ugh)

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Just hide out in a tank forever if you're not super great at twitch shooters. Tank gameplay is about positioning and such and less about both positioning and split-second reaction times.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
How can a player base be that bad? Even Waterson VS performed better than that when they had similar underpop numbers. Guess I should expect it from a player who uses a color scheme that makes my eyes want to bleed.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This is a fairly accurate representation of playing with GOKU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8i5P5cavI

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Aaod posted:

How can a player base be that bad? Even Waterson VS performed better than that when they had similar underpop numbers. Guess I should expect it from a player who uses a color scheme that makes my eyes want to bleed.
It took me a moment to notice he'd completely hosed up the faction colors for no apparent reason. I was like "What's wrong? The TR is doing fine on those continents! ...Oh. Ohhhhh."

Connery TR sucking poo poo is great for farming though as you're constantly farming NC/VS at bases close to your warpgate, which tend to be pretty defensively advantageous. I mean I'm sure it sucks for Connery TR who want to win but they of all people should know how long it's been since that ship sailed.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I hate the OPs map set up and empire color scheme.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

Aaod posted:

I find that Connery NC is even more terrible tbh.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Epic High Five posted:

I still find myself having trouble mustering up any concern about alerts, though now I'm not sure if it's alert fatigue or if it's just that my #1 prerogative of "find good fights; stay at good fights" being met means that alerts just do not even register, especially since lately they're just the same kind of mega hellzerging you got during WDS 2.0

edit -
v v v well some of us just want to zone out and space farm and space follow yellow space arrows sometimes :dukedog: v v v

double edit - also the TR most certainly count as space broke. I think I'm going to lead more TR nights just because I so very much enjoy the gaga reactions people have using all the TR's ridiculous poo poo

I think Murphey, myself, and you are all exhausted of leading most of the time. It's not hard to lead. You find a decent fight, tell the platoon to go kill some butts, and yell at command chat (mostly just wisdomcube) incessantly. So easy.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Here's a blog post explaining why Hossin took so long to get released.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I know how they could change the canister. Make it an HE rocket launcher that works like the Enforcer but with a small amount of splash and probably a slower fire rate or something.

Replace the Enforcer with a Phoenix/Engi AV Turret cannon, with a slow as gently caress fire rate but it's guided and it hits hard. Works like a badassiesr halberd with lots of downtime between shots because you're guiding the shot at a low speed instead of firing again. Have it hit like a Phoenix missile, damage wise.

Boom, NC tank secondaries are now all fun. Hooray!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I know how they could change the canister. Make it an HE rocket launcher that works like the Enforcer but with a small amount of splash and probably a slower fire rate or something.

Replace the Enforcer with a Phoenix/Engi AV Turret cannon, with a slow as gently caress fire rate but it's guided and it hits hard. Works like a badassiesr halberd with lots of downtime between shots because you're guiding the shot at a low speed instead of firing again. Have it hit like a Phoenix missile, damage wise.

Boom, NC tank secondaries are now all fun. Hooray!

Or give the enforcer a lock on ability like it had in beta? basically a halberd that can lock on to targets that could still dumb fire. Change the vulcan to be a vehicle mounted banshee and change the marauder into a giant striker that can also dumb fire. Change the sauron so it can charge like the lancer so it can rapid fire with horrible accuracy or charge and be the old sauron. Change the canister into a giant bolter, 25 round clip firing rockets that can 2 shot people with direct hits.

The halberd will just be a cheap NS option, the ESAV guns will be 1000 certs and have less alpha then the halberd at all times.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arghy posted:

Or give the enforcer a lock on ability like it had in beta? basically a halberd that can lock on to targets that could still dumb fire. Change the vulcan to be a vehicle mounted banshee and change the marauder into a giant striker that can also dumb fire. Change the sauron so it can charge like the lancer so it can rapid fire with horrible accuracy or charge and be the old sauron. Change the canister into a giant bolter, 25 round clip firing rockets that can 2 shot people with direct hits.

The halberd will just be a cheap NS option, the ESAV guns will be 1000 certs and have less alpha then the halberd at all times.

No, lock-on on ground vehicles is terrible, get away with that poo poo.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Nice puns in KOTH fights today. Ulyses S CANT, Napoleon Blew My Bonerapart, etc.

VVVV ahahaha yes Robert E. Leet was great too. I love how we made the VS a bit angry at helping our lesser NC cousins win Esamir.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Nice puns in KOTH fights today. Ulyses S CANT, Napoleon Blew My Bonerapart, etc.

General Robert E. Leet of course, though I've always been more partial to Napoleon Bonerfart

v v v PPA gonna get bloom and a bigger COF, put money on it now v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Making the marauder/canister really good like the PPA would be a bit of an odd step for SOE to take with their goal of reducing MBT farming. I wouldn't be surprised of those weapons were improved, but the PPA were nerfed as well, and the new standard brought somewhere in between poo poo like the marauder/canister and awesomeness like the PPA.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

General Robert E. Leet of course, though I've always been more partial to Napoleon Bonerfart

v v v PPA gonna get bloom and a bigger COF, put money on it now v v v

I'm in as SaddamHossin.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I still think the Canister could be interesting if they made it work like a remotely-operated Shrapnel round. Basically, you fire it, and then fire again to blow up the round in mid air, spreading doom in that general direction. I don't know if it's technically possible to do so, but that way you could use it beyond 2 feet. You could fire, wait, burst, then fire again. Of course, that would make the fire rate absolute poo poo so... yeah.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

Who wants to be PPA buddies with me and have us snowball our magriders together?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

So last night I managed to get telefragged by a friendly turret, which was uh a pretty new experience haha.

It even has an icon for turret telefragging that's different from actually shooting the turret. It's apparently even faction specific.

You used to be able to deploy turrets on jump pad landings to instakill anyone who jumped. I helped hold the bottom of the crater a lot doing this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CERTS weekend is gonna be awesome.

Infenso
Mar 11, 2007
Ambitiously Unmotivated
Oh sweet glorious day, finally a valid Goon TR outfit?

Applied to K0TH. Name's Benfenso, I shoot mans and abuse the msw-r.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Tross is just disgusting now that I've made a part-time switch to the 3.4x crosshair scope (NC scopes OP :smugdog:) and am landing shots more reliably at marksman ribbon ranges.

Wasn't expecting everybody I recommended it to to instantly fall in love with it though, I had it pegged as a niche gun but it turns out "hits hard and doesn't miss" is something most people can work with

Infenso posted:

Oh sweet glorious day, finally a valid Goon TR outfit?

Applied to K0TH. Name's Benfenso, I shoot mans and abuse the msw-r.

Glad to see so much interest, I'll be playing primarily NC of course but with so many people interested I'll definitely be leading some TR around.

Hope you guys are ready to head, "ALRIGHT BOYS IT'S PHOENIX TIohhh yeah :("

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Solution: Striker nests.

Their mediocrity will be canceled out and it'll be terrifying.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I just learned that sometime very soon (if not already) they'll be opening some korean Planetside 2 servers - any idea if these servers will show up on the same server lists, or are they going to be kept separate?

I'm living in Seoul now and have been on Briggs since launch, but god help me, if there's a Korean server I want in on that post-haste. On my best days on Briggs I've still got a ~180 ping, I can't imagine what a 30 ping would feel like.

Does Sony ever consider server transfers for accounts, in cases like this, or is it a strict no-go? I'd prefer not to abandon my lvl 75 dude for a fresh one, by if all my purchased stuff carries over, well...I guess I could live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

McKilligan posted:

So, I just learned that sometime very soon (if not already) they'll be opening some korean Planetside 2 servers - any idea if these servers will show up on the same server lists, or are they going to be kept separate?

I'm living in Seoul now and have been on Briggs since launch, but god help me, if there's a Korean server I want in on that post-haste. On my best days on Briggs I've still got a ~180 ping, I can't imagine what a 30 ping would feel like.

Does Sony ever consider server transfers for accounts, in cases like this, or is it a strict no-go? I'd prefer not to abandon my lvl 75 dude for a fresh one, by if all my purchased stuff carries over, well...I guess I could live with it.

I sort of suspect that, like Chinese Planetside2, they'll be kept separate. The asian f2p market trends very strongly toward p2w.

• Locked thread