Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QFL4QB3NE
FYI you can do basically 0 of the rad things this NC light assault did.

PlanetSide 2 is a re-imagining of PlanetSide, featuring the same world and factions, and taking place at roughly the same time period. As in the previous game, it features territory control in an open-world, large battles featuring up to 2000 players per continent on foot or in land/air vehicles. The territory system differs greatly from that of the original, being more free-form and based on a hexagonal territory control system. SOE has been taking into account balance issues from the first game. As stated by creative director Matthew Higby, they reward combatants on lower population empires through mechanics such as proportionally increased advancement rates and resources to aid the balance of overall empire saturation on each server as much as possible without force-restricting players from being able to play with their friends

Combat takes place on the continents of Auraxis which are broken up into many territories. Control of territories can provide bonuses to a faction in adjacent sectors. The mission system is partly automated and partly controlled by players. It provides focal points for players to attack and defend and helps players get into the action quickly.

As a player participates in productive activities, they will earn experience, which will increase their character's battle rank and reward them with certification points. As players gain experience, they will receive more certifications, allowing the player to unlock new abilities or items. These will allow the player to specialize in certain roles by allowing them to improve the weapons, vehicles or tools they use. Many certifications require the player to invest in multiple upgrade tiers of the certification, which will increase how effective the certification is.

Planetside 2 has 3 factions vying for control of Auraxis. Each with their own faction traits and faction specific vehicles. Free accounts may have up to 3 characters of any faction or server combination. Premium members get 6.

An authoritarian government that leverages military might to maintain strict control over the colonial citizens. The Terran Republic is obsessed with the preservation of law and order through violence, and are thus seen by some to be an oppressive and dictatorial force, but many view the TR as the only hope for lasting security on Auraxis.

TR's gimmick is speed. They have the fastest tank, the fastest plane, and the fastest firing guns with deep magazines. Shoot fast and shoot a lot with the Terran Republic. (Just don't shoot your friends)

Traitors. Rebels. Terrorists. These are words often associated with the New Conglomerate, However, to many the soldiers of the New Conglomerate are something else entirely: Heroes. Freedom Fighters. Protectors.

High damage but low RPM defines NC's faction flavor. They have some of the slowest firing, hardest hitting guns in the game. And shotguns, lots of shotguns. (Even on their tank)

A technocratic faction that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping the lost technology of the Vanu. The Vanu Sovereignty are a transhumanist cult of academics, intellectuals, and technology worshippers who believe that human destiny lies in the further development and exploitation of the alien technology.

Currently VS are a kind of weird middle ground between the other two factions. They have decent rate of fire, roughly the same damage as TR, but smaller mags to offset their faction flavor. Which is no bullet drop on most of their infantry weapons. (Also the best butts)

Don't try and lonewolf it, this is first and foremost a team game. The scale of most fights will be beyond other games and as a new player you'll end up as fodder. Join an outfit as soon as you can!

North American Outfits

Earth's Special Forces [GOKU] | Vanu Sovereignty | Emerald (US East)
Leader: KomeradeVirtunov | PGS Thread

Higby's Heros [GOON] | New Conglomerate | Emerald (US East)
Leader: AdmiralSnuggles | PGS Thread

The next post will contain a short guide on the 6 classes available to each faction and possibly the vehicles. I'll be sure to link to an autism dump later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

:siren: Every Character gets something called a class quiz when they log in. This quiz will give you a free gun, a boost, and free camo. Your best option will be to select "Ask me later" and ask a friend for gun recommendations. Some of the options are not worth taking. :siren:

To be honest I don't think much of the infiltrator. It's advertised as this elite ranged killing machine but falls short of the mark upon delivery. However they have some very useful abilities. The motion spotter is essentially a free wallhack. Stick near your group and drop motion spotters and people will love you.
    Pros
  • Cloaking
  • Capable of hacking terminals, allowing friendly forces to use them.
  • Capable of using either sensor darts or motion spotters. Darts are a ranged scanning tool that will spot enemies within it's area of effect while Motion Spotters are placed on the ground and detect enemies that get near to it.
    Cons
  • Lower base health. 100 less than any other class.
  • Limited to sniper rifles, scout rifles, and smgs.
    My First Infiltrator Cert guide
  • Passive: Cert at least one rank into the Terminal Hacking, otherwise you can't hack anything. :soe:
  • Ability: Rank 3 of Hunter Cloak (the default) should last you awhile.
  • Suit Slot: Flak, Nanoweave, or grenade bandolier are all decent choices.
  • Weapon: The automatic scout rifles (Artemis/SOAS-20/Stalker) are only 250 certs and basically SMGs that only infils can use. Use a foregrip with your sight of choice and shoot nerds. If you're Space Rich the 1st gen SMGs are great for infils.
  • Grenade: EMP is your only real choice here. It strips the shields and HUD of those caught in the AOE leaving them vulnerable to your scout rifles.
  • Utility: Though call. Medkits are probably your better option.

Light Assault is a wonderfully fun class to play but it requires knowing base layouts to have real success. Not exactly newbie friendly but the ability to jetpack around is both fun and very powerful. You can now easily get above and below the enemy, dictating the battle to your advantage.
    Pros
  • Jetpacks! Go up and over, around, or below objects in bases with ease.
  • Access to C4 combined with the jetpacks make them excellent C4 fairies.
    Cons
  • No real class ability. Exists to kill the poo poo out of people and occasionally blow things up or place a spawn beacon.
  • Limited to Carbines or Shotguns.

I am an Honorable Ground Ronin cert guide.
  • Passive: N/A. No passives for LA yet.
  • Ability: Jump Jets (default) are the best option. Rank 4/5 Should hold you over until you become Cert Romney.
  • Suit Slot: Advanced Shield Capacitor. It's cheap and greatly reduces the time it takes your shield to start regenerating.
  • Weapon: The defaults are really good for every faction. I'd recommend 2x with a laser for good all around coverage. Hip fire in bursts in CQC and ADS when they're comfortably at distance.
  • Grenade: Default. Flash is serviceable at times but not worth the certs when you're starting out.
  • Utility: Medkits, no question about it. C4 is useful but situational. Medkits will keep you in the fight longer doing what LA does best. Shooting nerds.

Space Priest with a gun. You can turn your dumb dead friends into piles of certs with this class. Access to decent to absolutely loving insane guns combined with the ability to be a necromancer makes the Combat Medic a good starting choice.

Pros
  • You can heal hurt friendlies and revive dead idiots for certs. Good deal!
  • Assault Rifles are pretty drat good.
  • A self heal ability.
    Cons
  • Uh, no overshield (HA) or jumpjets (LA)?
  • VS are a little lacking in the excellent AR department compared to TR and NC but don't let that stop you.
    Might as well call me a Medium Assault Cert guide
  • Passive: Go ahead and skip triage until you're Cert Romney.
  • Tool: Take your med tool to 5 :siren:ASAP:siren: Once you have a few things past that certed, finish it off. Max rank med tool is incredible.
  • Ability: Nano regen 5 is a cheap and very useful AoE heal.
  • Suit Slot: Advanced Shield Capacitor is cheap and always good, Flak will help you survive that shitter vehicle killing your friends for you revive.
  • Weapon: All the defaults are either usable (pulsar) or very good (Gauss / Cycler). Pop a foregrip and your sight of choice and you're good to go.
  • Grenade: Revive grenades. These things are OP. Toss it into a pile of dead idiots and enjoy your certs.
  • Utility: I run medkits for the instant health boost when needed. The ability slot heal is good but slow. C4 is very very useful as medic however. It's a toss up here.

Engineers. Needed to keep Generators, Skillsuits, and Mithril Plated Autism Chariots alive. They have access to placeable turrets, ammo packs, various explosives, and carbines. They lack the killing power of other classes but makeup for it with utility.
    Pros
  • Can repair MAX suits, broken generators, and vehicles.
  • Able to drop ammo packs to keep your friends shooting and the certs flowing.
  • Access to various explosives: Tank mines, proximity mines, C4, and the best grenade of all - Sticky grenades.
    Cons
  • Only able to use carbines, shotguns, and the battle rifle for infantry combat.

My 1st Cool Tools Cert guide
  • Passive: Put a few ranks into ammo pack, it increases the range it grants ammo and the time it stays out. The AI turret performs well enough without any certs to begin with.
  • Tool: You're going to want to get to the second to last level quickly. The final rank can defuse tank mines.
  • Ability: A recent patch made your ability keybind (F by default) drop ammo now, so there you go. I guess.
  • Suit Slot: I would suggest a few ranks into flak. You'll often be around vehicles and MAX suits which means you'll be around explosions.
  • Weapon: The default carbines with a foregrip and sight to suit. You should try to stay at range, lacking the defensive capabilities of other classes.
  • Grenade: Sticky grenades are incredible.
  • Utility: Toss up, each item is situational. (Here is where I say just use medkits)

A man shaped tank of sorts. Difficult to kill without explosives or concentrated small arms fire. If you're a shitter you'll love these. With the resource change you can pull them indefinitely!

Pros
  • Large pool of health.
  • Reduced damage from small arms fire.
  • High damage weapons.
  • Able to change weapons at a terminal to damage tanks, aircraft, or infantry.
    Cons
  • No overshield
  • Need an engineer to repair without certing auto repair.
  • Cannot be revived by revive grenades.
  • Takes longer to revive than infantry.
  • Can be killed by a single C4.
  • Not very mobile.
  • Cannot Redeploy.
  • Cannot pilot vehicles.
  • You only start with one anti-infantry arm.

My 1st Cert guide
  • Passive: N/A
  • Tool: N/A
  • Ability: Charge. 1 or 2 ranks will suit you fine.
  • Suit Slot: Flak. You're gonna get rocketed more than you are shot.
  • Weapon: I would start with buying the second AI arm for 250 certs. You'll be instantly effective against infantry.
  • Grenade: N/A
  • Utility: N/A

Vehicle section to come.

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 6, 2014

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXE5DexN7Tw
Hossin. A light assaults paradise; this swampy continent is covered with trees and fog. Originally planned for April 2013, the addition of lattice links to the game delayed it for over a year. Despite this, and the ongoing finishing touches to the bases on it, it was worth the wait.

:siren:Directives.:siren:

Directives are in-game achievements. Currently the score is for epeen measuring but more rewards will be added soonish.

Rather than copying and pasting Malorn's big effort post on directives I'll just link it here.

Current State of the Game:

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 12, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FIRST POST

NC RULEZ

Join [GOON] and the New Conglomerate today! We promise a number of things, among them:

Casual drives around with friends that certainly aren't doomed at all!

Improbable Galaxy wrestling!

TENSE POINT ASSAULTS! CAN YOU FEEL THE TENSION?

MLG-tier covert operations!

Hardly any horrific and senseless deaths at the hands of fellow GOON members at all!

And so much more!

Post in the GOON thread linked in the first post or join us in our mumble and ask today!
Mumble is mumble.ps2goon.org, port 14150

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Slight mistake on the VS section, they should be properly called the NS faction.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Ground floor. This game is a really good game that's both enjoyable and also good.

If you're thinking about getting into it now is the best time, bunch of rad changes and stuff.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
Op is a moron

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Should have just copy/pasted Tempest's autism in here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Listen guys, if you haven't played this game at all or played in a while, do it. It owns. Hossin came out and it is our swamp.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

VS = NS. NS = VS. That is all.

EDIT: Also HOSSIN loving OWNS GET IN ON THIS poo poo, NERDS.

VVVVVVVV Also a raging shitter. VVVVVVVVVV

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Agreed. OP is dumb and bad at video games.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
planetside is dumb

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

what happened posted:

Op is a moron

I totally agree

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Don't forget that raging racist Jesus is coming back to run the TR into the ground.

BuzzCutPyscho that is.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Let's get this out of the way.

The Good, The Bad, and The Arghy
A Fistful of Arghy
For a Few Arghy More
Arghocalypse Now
Arghy Wars Episode VI: Return of the Arghy
The Arghfather
Arghy Python's Life of Arghy
Black Arghymite
The Usual Arghy
Citizen Arghy
Birth of an Arghy
Rear Arghy
Arghy
Oh Arghy, Where Art Thou?
Reservoir Arghy
Pulp Arghy
Arghy Unchained
Inglorious Arghy
Arghy Wide Shut
Generation Arghy
Saving Private Arghy
Forrest Arghy
Full Metal Arghy

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Let's get this out of the way.

code:
Arghy Post Rising: Revengeance
Call of Arghy
Arghworld: Shitpost's Wrath
Legend of Arghy: A Link to the Post
Arghkatana
Duke Arghy Forever 
Arghy Force Rules
Arghynado
A Bridge Too Arghy
Arghys In the Night 
Arghy Nights
Arghy Does Dallas 
RoboArghy
Arghys (the second one where the colonial marines go into the offworld colony infested with arghys)
The Maltese Arghy
Arghy's List (of balance complaints) 
The Melancholy of Arghy
Tengen Toppa Arghy Lagann
Lucky Arghy
Attack on Arghy
Arghy la Arghy
Puella Magi Arghy Magica
Fist of the North Arghy
Arghy no Pico 
Arghytanic
The Arghyator
Shutter Arghy
The Arghy of Wall Street 
Arghocalypse Now
The Usual Arghys
Weekend at Arghy's
Arghy Dynamite
The Good, The Bad and The Arghy 
Jason and the Arghy-nauts
The Little Arghy
Beauty and the Arghy
Arghyddin
The Fox and the Arghy
Arghi
Lady and the Arghy
Arghy Story
The Arghydibles
Arghys 
Being John Arghyvich 
House of Arghys 
The Wizard of Arghy 
Arghy and the giant peach 
Citizen Arghy
Arghy of Indarabia
Arghy and the Badman
12 Angry Arghys
The Magnificent Arghy
One Flew Over the Arghy's Nest 
Dances With Arghy 
Arghy3
Arghy: Resurrection
Arghy vs. Predator
Arghy Horizon
Arghy Wars
20,000 Leagues Under the Arghy
Arghy Potter and the Philosopher's Post 
The Arghy Centipede
sayonara arghy sensei
arghymonogatari
My Little Arghy: Posting is Magic
Arghylypto
Saving Private Arghy
Arghyhood of the Traveling Dickbutts
Arghy and the Technicolor Dreampost 
Arghy 2: Electric Arghaloo
A New Arghy
Arghy Strikes Back
Return of the Arghy
Raise the Red Arghy
A Few Good Arghys
Pacific Arghy
Robin Arghy: Men in Spandex 
The Arghy Bitch Project 
That's the pool for my IRC script. I miss any between the two?

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

im gay

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Kill all nerds.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Planetside 2 is a jail for gay babies (me)

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
the men who stare at arghy

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
For those who haven't played in a year:

:siren: The briggs Australian server is no longer a bottomless abyss where packets and FPS go to die, it's back to having equal amounts of real people and utterly worthless medics! :siren:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This game fulfills my need to wear spandex as I shoot men with my plasma gun.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."
Game is getting better. I still have faith in Higby and Co. LONG LIVE.. something.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

This need to be on the first page

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

You should add "is this game good yet?--NO but its better" to the op.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ZiB5WWy78

This is literally what we're fighting against. Idiots that make bad "music videos" of their bad outfit in a bad game, thereby ruining good music.

PS- Game is actually good, but calling it bad is trendy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Gonkish posted:

PS- Game is actually good, but calling it bad is trendy.

Welcome to somethingawful-dot-com

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
actually it really is a bad game.

las0m
Jul 6, 2002
Arrr, Tis' a remorseless eating machine! Come for the freak, stay for the food..

what happened posted:

actually it really is a bad game.

Shut your mouth!

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

las0m posted:

Shut your mouth!

Another round of golden pistol codes might change his (and my) perspective. *wink wink*

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
Hey Matt, could you not do this to the Vanguard?

Thanks in advance, buddy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

mag posted:

Hey Matt, could you not do this to the Vanguard?

Thanks in advance, buddy.

Too late.

I just want them to fix the tiling on NC infantry camos. Compared to VS and TR, which are scaled normally, the NC ones all tile a bunch, especially some of the helmets. Other than giving the camos high articulation and therefore defeating their purpose in most cases, it also makes a lot of the great looking ones look like crap. Black Scale and any of the Digital ones are the worst culprits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How much of a mess is the PlayStation 4 version going to be?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Good to see a new thread. I've got the big spergpost ready to go (with a few changes from the further feedback in the last thread) - I'll drop it start of next page so it's all up top.

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out

Fuzz posted:

Too late.

I just want them to fix the tiling on NC infantry camos. Compared to VS and TR, which are scaled normally, the NC ones all tile a bunch, especially some of the helmets. Other than giving the camos high articulation and therefore defeating their purpose in most cases, it also makes a lot of the great looking ones look like crap. Black Scale and any of the Digital ones are the worst culprits.

In that case, these could use a second pass or something. Condensing vehicles down to one texture sheet isn't an excuse for an ugly-as-hell lazy job like the ES vehicles have been getting slapped with.

Art department has put out some pretty weak work on textures for a while now.

mag fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 29, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mag posted:

In that case, these could use a second pass or something. Condensing vehicles down to one texture sheet isn't an excuse for an ugly-as-hell lazy job like the ES vehicles have been getting slapped with.

Art department has put out some pretty weak work on textures for a while now.

It's probably a tough balance on account of how every whale this game has runs at ultra low everything to squeeze out more FPS

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

las0m posted:

Shut your mouth!

Is there anything you would like me to put in the OP, Higby-san :swoon:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

Good to see a new thread. I've got the big spergpost ready to go (with a few changes from the further feedback in the last thread) - I'll drop it start of next page so it's all up top.

You should mention how a lot of guns with advanced foregrip don't actually need it (pulsar c!)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You should mention how a lot of guns with advanced foregrip don't actually need it (pulsar c!)

A lot of guns with an advance version of an attachment generally don't need it for whatever reason. SMGs that have advance laser sights? Don't really need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ALS has no downside and for second Gen smgs is your best bet.

• Locked thread