Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I just want to discuss Transformers in the context of tokusatsu cinema.

I'm not particularly worried about whether I am a deep fan or not.

No, you don't, you want to discuss how blindingly goddamn clever (you think) you are, but you don't seem to be able to break out of the bubble long enough to see why people aren't taking to your brand of analysis. I think I can help, on the off chance you're not just a troll, which seems more likely than anything at this point.

My ceiling is what's commonly called a "popcorn ceiling," covered in lumps and bumps from the sealing substance sprayed on there by the man who constructed it. In the various lumps and bumps you can sometimes see patterns or pictures. To the left of the bed is a screaming rabbit. Down and to the right, they spell out the word "FLY" in capital letters. Other people acknowledge the pictures in the patterns when they're pointed out. I am aware that finding pictures in such a surface is due to my pattern-seeking human brain imposing order or imagined context onto a chaotic and random surface, but it's fun to find the pictures and such, just to see what we can see. You, however, are trying to tell us that the man who constructed the ceiling was using the ceiling to suggest that I read Watership Down (his favorite book), and that I should consider becoming a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you guys consider him as essentially functioning as a troll, why do you keep engaging with him?

It honestly feel like a really simple trolling tactic to write an obtuse paragraph with a bunch of psuedo-analysis then just get some facts wrong to doubledown on driving people nuts, and I'm strongly getting the impression here he's doing that. I don't even get the impression he has seen the fourth movie. He does seem to actually like the franchise though. Cyberverse Blackout is a sweet toy.

On that topic, how many people actually think that AOE is worse than ROTF? I'm not saying AOE is good - it could have been, but it very much isn't - but the RT rating putting it below ROTF makes me think people miss the potty humor or something.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm finally caught up on this goddamn thread and I see people let SMG hijack another thread. Jesus Christ, analyze the movies and cartoons in the Movies and TV forum. Let the low brow discussion and toy/comic discussion exist here untouched by your word salad.

Read his title. Read it and learn it. Don't respond, don't feed the bear or else it will keep coming back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

Now I want a TF that is a roman legionnaire in robot mode and a turtle in beast mode.

That would be really cool, actually!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I mean besides Snaptrap and that one that's half alligator so it doesn't count, why don't we have more turtle TFs? Is it because Turtles are boring?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Blackheart posted:

I mean besides Snaptrap and that one that's half alligator so it doesn't count, why don't we have more turtle TFs? Is it because Turtles are boring?

Maybe they fear TMNT crossover?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

No, you don't, you want to discuss how blindingly goddamn clever (you think) you are, but you don't seem to be able to break out of the bubble long enough to see why people aren't taking to your brand of analysis. I think I can help, on the off chance you're not just a troll, which seems more likely than anything at this point.

This guy gets it. Thank you for putting it into words better than I could.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

Now I want a TF that is a roman legionnaire in robot mode and a turtle in beast mode.

I am assuming I have posted at least twice with the full pitch version of this post but the short version is that I want a historical line of TFs so badly. Greek trireme, siege engine, Roman chariot, Chinese palanquin, Egyptian barge....I would buy them all.

Blackheart posted:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Snapper That guy is a really solid little toy! But yeah that's only 3. The really sad thing is how few elephants there are. And I'd love a whale (that isn't that weird BW micro playset thing).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People got mad that I was writing about movies and accused me of not caring about toys.

So I wrote about the Optimus Primal toy, and was accused of not caring about the TV show.

Keldroc posted:

My ceiling is what's commonly called a "popcorn ceiling," covered in lumps and bumps from the sealing substance sprayed on there by the man who constructed it. In the various lumps and bumps you can sometimes see patterns or pictures. To the left of the bed is a screaming rabbit. Down and to the right, they spell out the word "FLY" in capital letters. Other people acknowledge the pictures in the patterns when they're pointed out. I am aware that finding pictures in such a surface is due to my pattern-seeking human brain imposing order or imagined context onto a chaotic and random surface, but it's fun to find the pictures and such, just to see what we can see. You, however, are trying to tell us that the man who constructed the ceiling was using the ceiling to suggest that I read Watership Down (his favorite book), and that I should consider becoming a pilot.

Why do you think Transformers are bad?

I think they are good. I think they were made by designers and artists.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Whoa, another guy with Mechagodzilla as his name coming through here.

Nothing SMG has said is inaccurate. The gorilla Optimus Primal and "Tyrant Lizard King" Megatron are a direct reference to the original 1933 King Kong, where King Kong fights a T. rex. Now, while it totally makes sense for Megatron to adopt both the name and persona of a past Decepticon leader AND an ancient powerful beast in a bid to literally change history by traveling back in time to the past, it's kind of weird that Primal chooses the form of a character that is typically associated with slavery despite himself being a scientist-turned-leader. Just like it's weird that the heroic scholar-turned-warrior leader chooses the form of an 18-wheeler.

The difference between Keldroc's popcorn ceiling and the cartoon Beast Wars is of course that one is just random patterns that some guy sprayed with some accidental images that appear to be symbols versus an actual symbolic narrative intentionally written by someone. There was a conscious effort to reference King Kong by some writer. We even have a direct reference to it in Optimus Primal's toy description!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Put this poster on ignore now. Do not wait. Do not deviate. Do not read it. It will attempt to engage you in conversation. Do not respond to it. Do not quote it. Do not respond to it by name. Do not refer to it. Do not attempt to engage it under any circumstances.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

So was Lockdown working for the Quintessons in AOE? The notion that Lockdown was hired by some kind of mysterious 3rd party (no pun intended) was one of the few things that genuinely piqued my interest about that movie. And then I thought I read he was hired by "the creators" or something?

(Also am I the only person that likes the Quints around here? They have always appealed to me.)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So was Lockdown working for the Quintessons in AOE? The notion that Lockdown was hired by some kind of mysterious 3rd party (no pun intended) was one of the few things that genuinely piqued my interest about that movie. And then I thought I read he was hired by "the creators" or something?

(Also am I the only person that likes the Quints around here? They have always appealed to me.)

Lockdown does talk about Optimus Prime's creators, even egging him on by telling him that he was created and not born. Also, that the creators aren't too happy about the interactions between different alien species. Whether or not these creators are Quintessons remains to be seen until the sequel where Optimus Prime brutally murders his creator-gods for loving with him.

Edit: Sorry, spoilers.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 3, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mecha Gojira posted:

Whoa, another guy with Mechagodzilla as his name coming through here.

Nothing SMG has said is inaccurate. The gorilla Optimus Primal and "Tyrant Lizard King" Megatron are a direct reference to the original 1933 King Kong, where King Kong fights a T. rex. Now, while it totally makes sense for Megatron to adopt both the name and persona of a past Decepticon leader AND an ancient powerful beast in a bid to literally change history by traveling back in time to the past, it's kind of weird that Primal chooses the form of a character that is typically associated with slavery despite himself being a scientist-turned-leader. Just like it's weird that the heroic scholar-turned-warrior leader chooses the form of an 18-wheeler.

The difference between Keldroc's popcorn ceiling and the cartoon Beast Wars is of course that one is just random patterns that some guy sprayed with some accidental images that appear to be symbols versus an actual symbolic narrative intentionally written by someone. There was a conscious effort to reference King Kong by some writer. We even have a direct reference to it in Optimus Primal's toy description!

Keldroc's example is especially weird because that type of decoration is deliberately random. The randomized 'organic' texture of a popcorn ceiling is the meaning.

The TV show is even a 'Lost World' narrative where they are shipwrecked on, essentially, a prehistoric island.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I thought the Quints were cool assuming you imagined in that they were completely full of poo poo and them wanting to "reclaim" cybertron was just bullshit propaganda.

But yeah Lockdown works for the 'creators' and makes a bunch of thinly veiled implications about Cybertronians being programmed to believe certain things and them wanting Optimus Prime back. Also the dinobots were crusaders and explorers who once searched the stars for their creators, and it might even be implied Lockdown betrayed his comrades once they found them.

There is actually a really interesting story behind AoE. They just forgot to tell it and replaced with glorious product placement.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Man if they are gearing up for a Transformers story with Prometheus-style disappointing god/parent/creator discovery, I am down with that. I would happily toxx clause myself (or however one phrases it) that they are never ever taking this franchise off earth for 75% or more of the movie. :(

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

TALKING ABOUT TOYS
I chose between the promo shots of Sky Byte & Roadbuster in April for my Birthday. I chose Sky Byte because ROBOSHARK. I'll get him Saturday, and the toy shots look terrible compared to Roadbuster, who was mistransformed in the promo shots. gently caress you Hasbro, I'll have to buy both now. Is it that hard to find someone who can shoot these things properly? I didn't like RB because his legs looked like matchsticks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

You're still just googling factoids instead of actually watching the show.

supermechagodzilla.txt

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

supermechagodzilla.txt

actually he just gave tfwiki a quick reading

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought the Quints were cool assuming you imagined in that they were completely full of poo poo and them wanting to "reclaim" cybertron was just bullshit propaganda.

But yeah Lockdown works for the 'creators' and makes a bunch of thinly veiled implications about Cybertronians being programmed to believe certain things and them wanting Optimus Prime back. Also the dinobots were crusaders and explorers who once searched the stars for their creators, and it might even be implied Lockdown betrayed his comrades once they found them.

There is actually a really interesting story behind AoE. They just forgot to tell it and replaced with glorious product placement.

I dunno, I think this applies to DOTM too (and even ROTF), the base stories in both are pretty good and should have been far more interesting.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Mecha Gojira posted:

Whether or not these creators are Quintessons remains to be seen until the sequel where Optimus Prime brutally murders his creator-gods for loving with him.

Edit: Sorry, spoilers.

AOE/Future speculation They have many faces for him to take

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comfortador posted:

AOE/Future speculation They have many faces for him to take

SOLD.

Also AoE kind of contradicts things from RotF, with there being a long line of Primes and all.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Rhyno posted:

SOLD.

Also AoE kind of contradicts things from RotF, with there being a long line of Primes and all.

That's par the course for the film franchise as a whole, though. Just roll with it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
can I talk about the comics? Specifically, are IDW planning to do super big TPBs that collect the whole seasons of MtMtE and RiD? By my reckoning there's about 12 TPBs at about £10 each that cover everything up to Dark Cybertron, so would prefer a collected version of everything, or am I going to have to trawl ebay to grab them on the cheap?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

can I talk about the comics? Specifically, are IDW planning to do super big TPBs that collect the whole seasons of MtMtE and RiD? By my reckoning there's about 12 TPBs at about £10 each that cover everything up to Dark Cybertron, so would prefer a collected version of everything, or am I going to have to trawl ebay to grab them on the cheap?

Yes
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...rmers+phase+two

Not exactly what you're looking for but these are the best way to get the IDW TF comics in collected form.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes the Noo Yawk speakin' bigoted veteran would refer to Optimus Primal as "boss monkey".

The original Megatron's alternate form, the Walther P38, was a pistol from Nazi Germany. The original Japanese toy, before it was adapted for the Transformers toyline, was based on a modified P38 belonging to Russian spy Ilya Kuryakin in the fictional TV show The Man From UNCLE.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Rhyno posted:

SOLD.

The thing that AOE seems to set up, by and large is that the somewhat divine narrative that Prime has been following is wrong, and is at the very least something his predecessors have fabricated for their own people, but it doesn't show him reacting to his meaningfully. It's another weird thing that is excised from the film.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 4, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So are Roadbuster and Skybyte going to be a pain in the rear end to get? I've no yet preordered them because they're asking 12 dollars more than stores usually price them. Acidstorm/Gears and Cliffjumper/Nemesis seem to both be coming out in August as well so I'm sort of concerned that stuff is going to get lost amongst the AOE-ness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a breakdown of all the new product Hasbro has coming out in the order it's supposed to be released in? I'm kind of behind on my TF toy news.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

So are Roadbuster and Skybyte going to be a pain in the rear end to get? I've no yet preordered them because they're asking 12 dollars more than stores usually price them. Acidstorm/Gears and Cliffjumper/Nemesis seem to both be coming out in August as well so I'm sort of concerned that stuff is going to get lost amongst the AOE-ness.

If there's something you can't live without, or don't plan to hunt at retail, I recommend preordering from BBTS as soon as they put the item up. BBTS is outstanding because they don't require payment at the time of preordering. That way, if you find it in stores before they ship (and this happens to me constantly), you can cancel the preorder, and you're all set.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phy posted:

Sometimes the Noo Yawk speakin' bigoted veteran would refer to Optimus Primal as "boss monkey".

The original Megatron's alternate form, the Walther P38, was a pistol from Nazi Germany. The original Japanese toy, before it was adapted for the Transformers toyline, was based on a modified P38 belonging to Russian spy Ilya Kuryakin in the fictional TV show The Man From UNCLE.

The reference to King Kong 'secretly' refers to King Kong.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rhyno posted:

Is there a breakdown of all the new product Hasbro has coming out in the order it's supposed to be released in? I'm kind of behind on my TF toy news.

Get the voyagers from entertainment earth or (later) from hasbro toy store. BBTS lists all the preorders from Hasbro, it isn't the best place to buy but I get a good idea of what and when to shop around.

I have a theory that somewhere late in the AOE movie process one halfway coherent story got cut into three parts, so a lot of the filler and nonsense might be last minute script cuts and pastes. I can hope. :kiddo:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
We can still talk about toys in here right?

I picked up the Target exclusive Grimlock/Optimus pack. I don't give a poo poo about the OP, but I am a fan of the FOC Grimlock 'bot mode. With the gold chrome and G1 style paint scheme it just looks so good. It's on sale right now for $25 and it feels worth it to me.

Oh, and Rattrap is a sweet little rat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I already have two FoC Grimlocks, otherwise that set would be preeeeetty tempting.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Joe Fisto posted:

This thread exists primarily to sell toys.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

strangehamster exists primarily to sell toys

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I picked up the Target exclusive Grimlock/Optimus pack. I don't give a poo poo about the OP, but I am a fan of the FOC Grimlock 'bot mode. With the gold chrome and G1 style paint scheme it just looks so good. It's on sale right now for $25 and it feels worth it to me.

Oh, and Rattrap is a sweet little rat.

I was asking about this a few weeks back-- how is the plastic quality on that Grimlock? Some target exclusives have had horrible plastic quality.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

I was asking about this a few weeks back-- how is the plastic quality on that Grimlock? Some target exclusives have had horrible plastic quality.

It doesn't feel super cheap to me. It may be lesser than the first release, it's nowhere near knockoff plastic.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Spiderdrake posted:

strangehamster exists primarily to sell toys

I thought he existed primarily to buy toys.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

SpikeMcclane posted:

I thought he existed primarily to buy toys.

I am cutting down, I swear! Look, I don't even need Cyberverse or Kreo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have never bought a Cyberverse and I never will. I will be strong.