Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That show was just so perfectly brutal. I know they absolutely had to add in some fancy choreographed fighting scenes for Liam/Andy since they were the star, but the way some of those gladiators fought was just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

calandryll posted:

That gif encompasses everything that is amazing about the show.

It sure as hell doesn't. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

calandryll posted:

I see no bloody arm-shake there, so it doesn't.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

calandryll posted:

Yep. Yep.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

You couldn't possibly dignify Batiatus with a gif. It requires sound for that. I really want to re-watch the show now.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

calandryll posted:

You couldn't possibly dignify Batiatus with a gif. It requires sound for that. I really want to re-watch the show now.

If you've never watched it chronologically, I'd recommend it for a re-watch. Just skip the huge spoilers at the start and end of Gods of the Arena.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Part of why the fights were great was also the training they were all doing just about every day to get used to their armour and weapons. Working as a gladiator on the show was basically signing up for some really intense exercise regimens, possibly a little steroid use to get the right shape at first, often being combined with practicing lines.

Which is awesome, to be honest. It's a big part of why the show felt so physical - it really was. Also, Manu Bennett couldn't learn to pull blows right so when you see someone look really stunned after Crixus knocks them about, there's a good chance that ain't acting.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

teagone posted:

The camera work in Spartacus is also pretty high-end for TV imo. Despite the excessive use of green screen and whatnot, it was one of the better looking shows aesthetically, especially in the third season. I don't think I've ever seen this pulled off in any other show:

The shot that impressed me the most was that slow speed up wide camera sweep in the forest they jumped on and over dudes. Crazy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

PootieTang posted:

If you've never watched it chronologically, I'd recommend it for a re-watch. Just skip the huge spoilers at the start and end of Gods of the Arena.

That's what I was thinking about this time around. I remember binging through season 1 and going meh for the most part but got to Gods of the Arena and loved it after that.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Watched the finale again because i like my tears jerked. They were.

Now I want my loving poo poo rocked on alien planets with big kinetic rifles that rip flesh into meat paste, goddamnit. Give me a show, Deknight and fuckin Starz.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Watched the finale again because i like my tears jerked. They were.

Now I want my loving poo poo rocked on alien planets with big kinetic rifles that rip flesh into meat paste, goddamnit. Give me a show, Deknight and fuckin Starz.

And low gravity sex, of course.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L5...zdigital2014-20

YESSSSSSS

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Figures after I bought them all last fall during Black Friday sales, $15 each season. Oh well, I guess I saved money, but that statue is sweet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So how edited is the SyFy version? They're clearly not cutting it hugely for time since they're giving it 90 minute blocks.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box A posted:

So how edited is the SyFy version? They're clearly not cutting it hugely for time since they're giving it 90 minute blocks.

It's 90 minutes per season.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PootieTang posted:

It's 90 minutes per season.

They must have not taken out much then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think I hate Crassus' son more than Joffrey.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mu Zeta posted:

I think I hate Crassus' son more than Joffrey.

Nothing is worse than that Senator's kid who forced Sparty to kill Varo. gently caress that kid

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's not all that horribly edited, but we haven't gotten to the crux of Batiatus' profanity yet, either.

It's relatively good enough that you wouldn't even realize much being "off" if you hadn't seen the original, which is a surprise. They basically paste strips over all the nipples or use sneaky cropping or foreground insertions to hide much of the sex. For instance, when Spartacus dreams of having sex with his wife, there's a giant sun glare behind them so that you can't really make out the nude humping that well.

No idea what they're going to do for a lot of Batiatus' speeches, though. So far, they're mostly making people make the same "point" but changing the profanity itself, which seems to mostly be done with editing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Nothing is worse than that Senator's kid who forced Sparty to kill Varo. gently caress that kid

That was more of someone else's doing by proxy as opposed to it completely being his own agency.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Alan Smithee posted:

Eh, I can forgive that kid because he did it for pussy. Crassus' son is just a dick.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Eh, I can forgive that kid because he did it for pussy. Crassus' son is just a dick.

I hate the kid more simply because he was simply a spoiled brat. At least Crassus son was thoroughly broken before he started mounting everyone who got in his way.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

RIP Varro

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Irish Joe posted:

Of all the Spartacus episodes where we lose main crew members, this is the one I still find the hardest to watch. It's such a relatively quiet episode too and then this rear end in a top hat has to order him killed ='(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Varo getting offed was definitely one of the hardest parts of the first season for me to watch too. Poor guy deserved better. :smith:

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

I started watching Spartacus because I thought it was going to be hilariously over-the-top and bad (a belief that the first couple of episodes reinforced), and I remember Varro's death being the moment that I looked up and went "Wait, I actually care about what's happening to the people on the screen".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I started watching Spartacus because I thought it was going to be hilariously over-the-top and bad (a belief that the first couple of episodes reinforced), and I remember Varro's death being the moment that I looked up and went "Wait, I actually care about what's happening to the people on the screen".

don't cry, Varro got sold out for god tier pussy.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

etalian posted:

don't cry, Varro got sold out for god tier pussy.

Mmmmmmm she was top notch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Syfy Spartacus is hilarious:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/spartacus-sacramentum-gladiatorum-206559

quote:

In this episode, the main changes deal with nudity, language, and runtime. The opening sex scene covers Sura’s breasts with a CGI lens flare, holds on Spartacus’ side of things rather than cutting back and forth, and reframes the final shot of the scene to be a close-up of Sura’s face. It’s also a few seconds shorter. Lucretia’s moments in her sex scene with Batiatus are reframed as well, to focus on her upper body, and Crixus’ first scene holds on Spartacus’ face, with Crixus behind him, rather than the original’s long shots. In the one moment where Crixus’ lower half could not be avoided, a CGI loincloth has been added.

Even Crixus gets made family friendly

(basically a crime to put a cgi loincloth on Manu Bennet)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
or "lil manny" as we call him

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I know this is a long shot but what are the chances someone has a link for the Season 1 thread?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So I imagine the nude wrestling scene got censored.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I know this is a long shot but what are the chances someone has a link for the Season 1 thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3258044&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The best part of that thread is how the first thirty pages go from "lol Jesus this is terrible" (Episode 1) to "Okay, that was a pretty brutal/cool part" (The Thing in the Pit) to "I'm kinda starting to watch this unironically, am I okay?" (the fight with Theokoles) to "Oh holy poo poo" (literally everything afterwards).

I think everyone who watches the show goes through that. (I know I did.)

3romeo, on page 11 posted:

In the last six hours I've gone from laughing at this show to wincing at it and then finally to the realization I can't loving wait for more.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 5, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

3Romeo posted:

I think everyone who watches the show goes through that. (I know I did.)

Absolutely. It's the reason I always recommend that people watch from the very beginning, because the jump in quality from those first couple of episodes where the show is just a lovely 300 rip-off to the point where it becomes one of the best-written shows on TV is amazing to experience.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, my friend tried to get me into it but I gave up after the second episode. I think I got bored a while later, it was the only thing I had and I popped it back on.

Once "The Thing in the Pit" happened I was on board.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On the bright side some lucky devils just scored a special FX job covering up awesome naked bodies with CGI clothes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wonder how they will deal with the Brothel/Murder as gently caress scene from Vengence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Wonder how they will deal with the Brothel/Murder as gently caress scene from Vengence

I wonder how big of server farm they will need to build the CGI loincloth for horse cock gaul.

• Locked thread