Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

def put Deus Ex on that list, legit best console version, runs really well and the gigantic updated map with actual architecture is loving great to have in large areas. Hacking is also 100% better when you can use the gamepad for that poo poo. Also, of course, offscreen mobile Deus Ex is the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is Unlimited World Red any good? Haven't heard anything about it good or bad, but seeing as it isnt out in America yet, that's probably why. I've hard it's sort of a hunting type game which I am a sucker for.

Brasseye posted:

I would also like to know this. Apparently its more of an RPG/Adventure than a standard musou game like pirate warriors was, but I can't find that much information about it. Its one to buy a physical copy of though, I think its about a 15 gb download.

From what I've been able to read about online, its a solid enough game for even non-fans of the series to play through, but it is definitely something you will be appreciate and understand a lot easier if you have semblance of what the series is about going in. 3DS version can have some camera issues due to lacking a right analogue stick, Wii U version doesn't make use of the gamepad aside of off-tv play, mostly the same experience across all versions.

Edit: As an additional note I'd played the demo at the MCM expo, and the combat was certainly decent enough. Sure it could devolve into button mashing between two keys, but it had a counter and dodge element to it, plus it tries to encourage you to try out the various combos by having them on the screen as a small challenge.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 3, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Okay, so I am apparently a giant babby, and I can't figure out how to get stamps to appear when I post to Miiverse... I know I have to post while I'm in the game, and I know there should be a stamp icon in the handwritten notes option, but there isn't. I've tried in SM3DW and Pushmo World, but I'm not getting a stamp icon to appear--just the three pen sizes and the three erasers. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I have to "activate" this option somewhere? I've looked in Miiverse settings, each game's settings, and the Wii U settings, and I can't find anything about it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You might consider putting some caveats about Lost World in when you do the writeup for it- I remember a lot of people being pretty disappointed by it.

General consensus seems to be that it's pretty mediocre overall.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

monkeu posted:

Personally if I didn't own a Wii U I'd be more impressed if I came into the thread and checked the OP and saw a small but really genuinely good list of exclusive games. Nobody's buying a Wii U to play bloody Arkham City or some lovely deus ex game. The Wii U's strength is its awesome exclusives and a handful of multiplatforms that are genuinely better on it. I bought a Vita recently, and the list of "recommended" games in the Vita thread's OP is like 2 or 3 posts long. Clearly the Vita isn't a system that has 2 or 3 posts worth of amazing games. Let's not go down that road with the Wii U OP.

I just checked game-rankings and if i'm not mistaken the "worthwhile exclusives" appear to be almost all of them :/

ZombieU is on that list and I've still not had a conclusive answer on whether it's good or not considering it's got bargain bin prices at the moment.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kin posted:

I just checked game-rankings and if i'm not mistaken the "worthwhile exclusives" appear to be almost all of them :/

ZombieU is on that list and I've still not had a conclusive answer on whether it's good or not considering it's got bargain bin prices at the moment.

WiiU's 3rd party games are ridiculously cheap compared to 1st party but that has nothing to do with their gameplay value and everything to do with being on the WiiU. ZombiU is a great game and the 12 dollars or whatever it costs is a steal.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

From what I've been able to read about online, its a solid enough game for even non-fans of the series to play through, but it is definitely something you will be appreciate and understand a lot easier if you have semblance of what the series is about going in. 3DS version can have some camera issues due to lacking a right analogue stick, Wii U version doesn't make use of the gamepad aside of off-tv play, mostly the same experience across all versions.

Edit: As an additional note I'd played the demo at the MCM expo, and the combat was certainly decent enough. Sure it could devolve into button mashing between two keys, but it had a counter and dodge element to it, plus it tries to encourage you to try out the various combos by having them on the screen as a small challenge.

Sounds really promising. I'm going to check out some gameplay footage and see if the whole game is co op, but I'll probably end up getting this. The playable characters list looks impressive too:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece:_Unlimited_World_Red

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

You might consider putting some caveats about Lost World in when you do the writeup for it- I remember a lot of people being pretty disappointed by it.

Aye, its probably the game that most needs a disclaim on what one may or may not like about it.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

monkeu posted:

Personally if I didn't own a Wii U I'd be more impressed if I came into the thread and checked the OP and saw a small but really genuinely good list of exclusive games. Nobody's buying a Wii U to play bloody Arkham City or some lovely deus ex game. The Wii U's strength is its awesome exclusives and a handful of multiplatforms that are genuinely better on it. I bought a Vita recently, and the list of "recommended" games in the Vita thread's OP is like 2 or 3 posts long. Clearly the Vita isn't a system that has 2 or 3 posts worth of amazing games. Let's not go down that road with the Wii U OP.

I disagree- I'd rather see as comprehensive an approach as possible. I think more games = more useful for current Wii U owners, many of whom are going to already be familiar with all the games that would land on a list of reduced size.

The difference between the Wii U recommended list and the recommended list in the Vita thread is that every game on our list is supposedly going to get a writeup with practical information about the game and what's good/bad about it, as seen in this example from yesterday. This is going to make the OP stupidly long but also a very useful resource. Ultigonio, do you plan on writing all of those yourself?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I disagree- I'd rather see as comprehensive an approach as possible. I think more games = more useful for current Wii U owners, many of whom are going to already be familiar with all the games that would land on a list of reduced size.

The difference between the Wii U recommended list and the recommended list in the Vita thread is that every game on our list is supposedly going to get a writeup with practical information about the game and what's good/bad about it, as seen in this example from yesterday. This is going to make the OP stupidly long but also a very useful resource. Ultigonio, do you plan on writing all of those yourself?

Perhaps a compromise? Have the recommended list up front so people know these are the games that are generally considered must haves for the system, and then lower down there's various other notable games that, whilst maybe only decent or good or whatever, are still worth looking into if they fit your particular interests.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Kin posted:

ZombieU is probably one of the most atmospheric games of the generation so far and has a lot of really neat ideas while making exceptional use of the gamepad. It's really good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

monkeu posted:

That didn't sound right so I checked the Vita thread. It's literally one post and includes PSP games and PSone games, both of which the PSP can play through PSN.

Stop overreacting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only negative of ZombiU is it has only one melee weapon and only two attack animations. This actually serves a gameplay mechanical purpose, where you have to be extremely careful with Zombies, but some people can't get past it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Seriously, most people aren't going to read anything no matter how comprehensive or concise it is, don't sweat it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Ultigonio posted:

I'll take your word for it. Can you tell me what about the Gamepad integration helps improve the experience? I haven't played the game myself, nor have I heard a lot about that particular port (I'll also have to ask for negatives and positives on other games, but I'll wait on those until I'm actually writing stuff up).

Sure! Functionally, the gamepad touchscreen lets you use your fingers to hack communications and security consoles (with a different mechanic than the original game) as well as being able to use it to detonate explosive gel. The touchscreen also contains all the stuff from the menu in other versions of the game (character profiles, upgrades, challenges, the map) as well as a sonar display which I don't believe was in other versions. You can aim remote-control batarangs by moving the Gamepad. And, you can change way points on the map on the fly by double tapping on them (which you can even do while gliding mid-air, which is really sweet).

On their own these features are nice, but it's how they all contribute to immersion that really shines. In-game, they added a small computer console to Batman's wrist, which is supposed to be what's on the Gamepad screen. So when you access stuff in those menus, the game doesn't pause, instead Batman on screen just starts tooling around with his wrist-display. Since the game doesn't pause when you do that stuff, I often found myself ducking into little nooks and crannies where Riddler Trophies used to be when I wanted to upgrade or look through the different files, which felt more real than the entire universe pausing because Batman's deciding what upgrade he wants.

For mood, I played the game in the dark the first time I got it and after a little while I stopped thinking about the Gamepad in my hand. I was simply the goddamn Batman and I was checking out my wrist computer. If this game had come out when I was a little kid, I would have seriously spent most of my childhood playing this version of the game in the dark in full Batman costume.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Monkey Fracas posted:

At least be sure to mention that there is a demo you really should try.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Kin posted:

What I mean is his current list is good, but maybe think twice before adding every single recommendation that's appearing in response to his post. Deus ex, a really old Arkham game, darksiders 2, any game any goon has enjoyed on Wii U. Tread lightly. Quality over quantity.

The Black Stones posted:

That didn't sound right so I checked the Vita thread. It's literally one post and includes PSP games and PSone games, both of which the PSP can play through PSN.

Stop overreacting.

Sorry, my mistake. There are only around 120 Vita games and 100 or so PSP and PSOne recommendable games in the Vita thread. I would give an exact number but it's somewhere between 200 and 300. It's actually the OP that's three posts long because the "recommended games" list for the Vita is 200+ games long. Point condeded! Game set match! Sorry for overreacting :laugh:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

monkeu posted:

What I mean is his current list is good, but maybe think twice before adding every single recommendation that's appearing in response to his post. Deus ex, a really old Arkham game, darksiders 2, any game any goon has enjoyed on Wii U. Tread lightly. Quality over quantity.

Sorry, my mistake. There are only around 120 Vita games and 100 or so PSP and PSOne recommendable games in the Vita thread. I would give an exact number but it's somewhere between 200 and 300. It's actually the OP that's three posts long because the "recommended games" list for the Vita is 200+ games long. Point condeded! Game set match! Sorry for overreacting :laugh:

I think what I'd do is just categorize the existing list and take out the box images.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

monkeu posted:

I personally agree with this guy. Coming in and seeing ports of long come and gone PS3/360 games up with all the top shelf Wii U poo poo wouldn't be sending me the best message. But whatever other goon, it's your OP. Do what you want.

Keep the images though. Reading a whole bunch of samey looking text in a bunch is boring.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would keep the pretty-much-for-sure good exclusives up top and maybe put the "meeehhhhh" ones at the bottom in another section without box art images or something.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wii U Thread Discussion Thread - Yes, it has nice game lists

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Games > Wii U Discussion Thread OP Discussion Thread

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Wii U Discussion Thread: How to make the system appealing

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 3, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I take it the new Pushmo is good? Anyone have an idea if a lot of puzzles are new? I looked at the trailer and some of the puzzles looked a bit familiar, which worries me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I take it the new Pushmo is good? Anyone have an idea if a lot of puzzles are new? I looked at the trailer and some of the puzzles looked a bit familiar, which worries me.

Yep, there are like 250 new puzzles and better online integration so you can grab stuff from other people easier.

Not gonna help if you're just sick of Pushmo, though. Because it is nothing but more Pushmo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Argue posted:

There are a bunch of new elements to later puzzles but the early game is basically a greatest hits pack.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

njsykora posted:

There are a bunch of new elements to later puzzles but the early game is basically a greatest hits pack.
Oh? I wasn't familiar with alot of the earlier ones. I did notice that almost all of the Nintendo themed ones were updated copies of some of the 3DS ones. To be fair, they played differently due to the addition of the push in switches.

Other than the Nintendo stuff, there was very few other puzzles that felt like they were ports of the old ones.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

monkeu posted:

Well yeah the Nintendo exclusives should be the main focus since that's really the only reason anyone buys a Wii U but I was just throwing some multiplatform games out there since that list is pretty tiny (And half of them are 3DS games which isn't really my first thought when I think multiplatform)

Plus Deus Ex is just really good

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Argue posted:

Download people's custom content, like dickbutt posted earlier in the thread.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

monkeu posted:

Actually it's because every console/portable thread ever has the following conversation an infinite amount of times.

"Hey, I just bought <thing>. What games should I buy for it?"
"Well, you should look into <game>, <game>, <game>, and maybe <game>"
"I don't like those games because I only play 2 very small sub-genres of game."
"Then buy <game> and <game>"

And then a week later it's

"I remembered <thing> also supports <older thing> and <different thing>, what were good games from those?"

and it starts again. This literally happens in this very thread like every 2 pages.

So hey, it turns out having an itemized genre-focused list of literally every thing a thing can support means that people can spend less time asking people what games they should research for the thing they apparently spent X hundreds of dollars for without looking at a single game and more about finding games and playing them. Do you like RPGs? Well hey I'll just go to RPGs. I don't like action games, so I just won't look at action games. Do you want to play new things and not old emulated things? Then you can not look at those.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Injustice didn't end up getting all the DLC, they stopped after a while due to low sales, just as they did later with Arkham Origins.

The worst part of this is for months after the fact Ed Boon pretended it was coming on twitter when anyone asked him. I'll never buy another game by him over that.

I'm shocked people are still recommending Sonic Transformed after Mario Kart came out. I'd assume the online has been long dead for that game at this point. I'd only recommend it on a big discount. If you guys are looking for something different on the Wii U, try Black Ops 2 with the Wiimote+nunchuck setup. The online still always has at least 1000 players and that control style is really fun. I hope we get more first person shooters on the Wii U.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 3, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

matrix ripoff posted:

Now a game full of Something Awful references... I'd eat that up!!!

Fallout: New Vegas remains the pinnacle of open-world gameplay with great storytelling so yes you probably would.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Walmart has the Gamepad charging cradle combo thing on clearance for $4.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

monkeu posted:

Get hosed, Deus Ex owns

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

What game should I play first, Shovel Knight or Guacamelee?

Keep in mind I've never played either of them before.

Shovel Knight for sure, it's a very well polished throwback to NES era platformers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mandrel posted:

Get hosed, Deus Ex owns

Get hosed, do, sex owns

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oof, I left a lot to respond to. Enjoy yet another heinously massive post!

Help Im Alive posted:

Also I think putting Wind Waker on the multiplatform list is a little silly
As much as I love the changes made in WWHD (with the graphical adjustments having their ups and downs), I have a hard time considering it an "exclusive" because it's still a very similar experience to the original game with quality-of-life changes rather than a full-blown overhaul of what the game is. I'd consider a reimagining, a game like Metroid: Zero Mission, to be a separate game that tells the same story, but I don't think I'd give WWHD that same distinction. I might be willing to change it, but you can still find mostly the same experience on the GameCube or on the PC if you're emulating.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I'm strongly aware of the general dislike for Lost World, though I enjoyed it myself. I'm considering removing it entirely, or otherwise trying to make it so that whoever decides to purchase it is absolutely sure what they're getting into. The other thing you mentioned - about "meeehhhhh" titles being placed in a section at the bottom - is probably how I'll approach titles that I think CAN be enjoyed but are tough to recommend. They'll probably be set up with only box arts in a tiled fashion. This makes them more presentable, and if they are games that are tough to recommend, I don't think they should be getting a full write-up. The Recommended Wii games will also only be getting tiled, no write-ups. Having every game have text attributed to it is part of the reason why the current OP looks so horribly ugly, which is part of the reason I started working on this in the first place.

monkeu posted:

Yeah, this is precisely why I want to carefully restrict the "recommended" multiplats list to games that have unique features or content in the Wii U version. DS2 probably won't get on there, but Deus Ex might, and I think AC:AE probably will. Besides that, the exclusive list and the multiplat list are going to be entirely separate.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

This is going to make the OP stupidly long but also a very useful resource. Ultigonio, do you plan on writing all of those yourself?
All the general information is easy to tackle and I've played most of the games on there, myself, so... mostly. There are definitely games on there I haven't played at all and lack knowledge of them to the point that I only know they're worth playing, and not what it is that is good or bad about them (like Scram Kitty, which I want to play very very badly but haven't yet). I'd probably be best leaving Positives and Negatives on Lego City, Batman, Deus Ex (if included), and NSF (if included) to other goons (maybe multiple goons, then I can compile information and rewrite it). It's hard to trust other people to write things for me, but I'll choose to believe you people are better than the soulless husks they call "video game reviewers."

Multiplatform games may be getting less "what makes them good or bad" and more "what the Wii U version better, worse, or otherwise unique compared to other versions," though that presents the possible issue of not being particularly informative to people who don't already know about the game.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Games > Wii U Discussion Thread OP Discussion Thread
Writing OPs is haaaaaaaaaard

In the end, it's possible that almost nobody will ever look at the massive OP that I spent like 15 hours working on, but if they do, I want it to be something worth looking at, and the best way to create something that doesn't suck is to get feedback from other people.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 3, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Put the Hori screen protector on today. Highly recommended, easiest to install screen protector ever. Somehow the Hori protectors just get better and better for each Nintendo system, this was even easier than my 3DS ones.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Niemat posted:

Okay, so I am apparently a giant babby, and I can't figure out how to get stamps to appear when I post to Miiverse... I know I have to post while I'm in the game, and I know there should be a stamp icon in the handwritten notes option, but there isn't. I've tried in SM3DW and Pushmo World, but I'm not getting a stamp icon to appear--just the three pen sizes and the three erasers. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I have to "activate" this option somewhere? I've looked in Miiverse settings, each game's settings, and the Wii U settings, and I can't find anything about it.

Assuming you have stamps for these games it should be to the left of the pencils, between the pencils and the undo button. As long as you have Miiverse set up, I don't think there's a specific setting to change. I think for Super 3D World you need to beat the first world to get access to the Miiverse stuff.

The stamps have always worked for me though, so I'm not sure why that's happening to you. Can anyone smarter than me help this guy out?

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, this is precisely why I want to carefully restrict the "recommended" multiplats list to games that have unique features or content in the Wii U version. DS2 probably won't get on there, but Deus Ex might, and I think AC:AE probably will. Besides that, the exclusive list and the multiplat list are going to be entirely separate.

I think its a good idea to be restrictive with the list so it doesn't get excessive, though you don't want to overdo it and leave out games people should get!

Thanks for putting the work into the new OP, Ultigonio. Glad to see people have been giving you good feedback! We've got a good crowd in this thread.

Ultigonio posted:

As much as I love the changes made in WWHD (with the graphical adjustments having their ups and downs), I have a hard time considering it an "exclusive" because it's still a very similar experience to the original game with quality-of-life changes rather than a full-blown overhaul of what the game is. I'd consider a reimagining, a game like Metroid: Zero Mission, to be a separate game that tells the same story, but I don't think I'd give WWHD that same distinction. I might be willing to change it, but you can still find mostly the same experience on the GameCube or on the PC if you're emulating.

I think WWHD really should be in the exclusive section. Seriously, think of someone new to the thread who wants to see the pluses/minuses for it (which is a great feature, by the way) - where are they going to look for a Zelda game? The section with all the Nintendo exclusives or the section with third party games? Remember, the most important thing to keep in mind is to be helpful for readers. We shouldn't get caught up in technicalities and instead do what's most useful for people.

I support getting positives and negatives from the thread as well! Not only will that be a fun thing to talk about, but also it will probably be more meaningful to have more perspectives on a game. Of course we'll still want to keep them short and sweet so people don't run into a wall of text.

Spacebump posted:

The worst part of this is for months after the fact Ed Boon pretended it was coming on twitter when anyone asked him. I'll never buy another game by him over that.

I'm shocked people are still recommending Sonic Transformed after Mario Kart came out. I'd assume the online has been long dead for that game at this point. I'd only recommend it on a big discount. If you guys are looking for something different on the Wii U, try Black Ops 2 with the Wiimote+nunchuck setup. The online still always has at least 1000 players and that control style is really fun. I hope we get more first person shooters on the Wii U.

I think you're the second person in the thread to recommend Black Ops 2, with that exact controller setup as well. I never considered picking it up before. Typically any FPS I'm interested in I'll pick up for the PC. How different is the experience on the Wii U with the different control scheme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CatsPajamas posted:

I think you're the second person in the thread to recommend Black Ops 2, with that exact controller setup as well. I never considered picking it up before. Typically any FPS I'm interested in I'll pick up for the PC. How different is the experience on the Wii U with the different control scheme?

That was probably just a different post by me. When playing with the Wiimote+Nunchuck, it's closer to a mouse for PC games. It's a fun control scheme. I mainly bought because it was on sale and I wanted to try an FPS for the Wii U. It's nothing groundbreaking (especially if you play a lot of PC shooters) but I have had a decent amount of fun with the game.

• Locked thread