Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably an m97xe would be the most cost effective upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dogen posted:

Definitely an AT-95E would be the most cost effective upgrade.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
You guys are great.

Just for your amusement:

I rip a lot of old vinyl these days, strictly for my own listening pleasure. I do a lot of work out of my home office and while I'm working, I often will be ripping something as well.

I started, years ago, with a cute invention that never really got off the ground, an IkeyPlus. It recorded mp3 directly to a USB flash drive and had a built-in phono preamp. But although the 2nd revision was a major improvement, it would freeze up occasionally and couldn't be relied on, and was pretty cheap construction. It also had no LCD display and communicated by way of a series of flashes from the crude VU meter LEDs on the top of it, which meant you'd have to actually read the manual. And also, it couldn't play back, only record. :-) But such was my budget back then, and my knowledge level, back in the relatively early days of digital recorders in general. But I was listening to a few songs I recorded with it on the mp3 about 7 years ago just yesterday and it wasn't a painful experience. I still have it somewhere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My dad has an LP60 in his office that he just uses to record albums that have never been released on any other format. Sounds surprisingly good.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've never done any soldering but I have a turntable that needs to have all the capacitors replaced so I'm going to give it a go. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a soldering iron for working with vintage stereos? There seems to be a wide range of wattages and whatnot. I'm not opposed to spending more to get a really good one, if that's whats best.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

eggsovereasy posted:

I've never done any soldering but I have a turntable that needs to have all the capacitors replaced so I'm going to give it a go. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a soldering iron for working with vintage stereos? There seems to be a wide range of wattages and whatnot. I'm not opposed to spending more to get a really good one, if that's whats best.
I have a Weller 35W I got back in the 80's that'll heat up most anything reasonably sized enough to solder, couple something like that with a 1-2mm tip and you're good for most electronic jobs

This one should work for what you want as long as you use 60/40 lead/tin rosin core. I don't know how well it would work for the antimony solder.
http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-VTSS...ductDescription

Oh yea, get a copper dish scrubber to clean off the burnt gunk that the wet sponge doesn't.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Libman-C...ci_src=17588969

Basic instructions.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Technique and tip maintenance is way more important than an expensive iron. I've recapped a few amps with nothing more than a $30 no-name iron and I had no issues.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Thanks for the advice I ordered one and some of the other stuff I'll need (solder, desolder wick, etc) and now know what I'll be doing with my long weekend :dance:

I have a recapping kit for my turntable (just all the caps and some instructions), it has me replacing a 4 pin cap with a 2 pin one (2200uF 40v) and the instructions seem to suggest I'll be soldering in a wire between the two unused negative holes in the pcb, does this seem right?

Also this thing has been turned off for a year, the capacitors should be drained by now right?

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 2, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
4 pin caps are just regular 2 pin caps, but they have 2 extra pins for mounting to the PCB. The extra 2 pins aren't important electrically. I am not sure what the instructions are describing without having a look at them.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I'm far from an expert on all this, but the one I have looks different than other 4 pin capacitors I see when I google for it.

The one I have is all shiny metal, but the base looks the same as on this one:

And this image suggests all the outer pins work as negatives:

When I get home I will scan the instructions I have and take a photo of the actual capacitor.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I ended up replacing the driver in all 4 of my bookshelf speakers. They sound great now. Turns out the foam surround had let go of the cone on all of them. I don't know how I missed that when I looked at them the first time. I think I can just glue them back together and have four 5" speakers to play with.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

TomR posted:

I ended up replacing the driver in all 4 of my bookshelf speakers. They sound great now. Turns out the foam surround had let go of the cone on all of them. I don't know how I missed that when I looked at them the first time. I think I can just glue them back together and have four 5" speakers to play with.

What drivers did you use?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This one http://qcomponents.ca/product.php?productid=203&cat=50&page=1

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Thanks, I asked because I have a set of Baby Advents that have foam rot and am trying to decide whether to refoam or replace the drivers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If my turntable is properly setup to play a normal record, do I need to change anything to play a record meant to be played from center outward? (I'm thinking antiskate maybe?) I'm having some trouble with skipping that I don't normally have.

Also, am I going to destroy my cartridge if I lower the needle onto the paper label and try to play through it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

If my turntable is properly setup to play a normal record, do I need to change anything to play a record meant to be played from center outward? (I'm thinking antiskate maybe?) I'm having some trouble with skipping that I don't normally have.

Also, am I going to destroy my cartridge if I lower the needle onto the paper label and try to play through it?

Someone got Jack White's latest!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

All fixed up and in situ. Bit of a myspace angle going on, because the back panels still look ugly as hell. They all have these cool diagrams on them, but I'd have to remove them if I want to take the paint off and respray 'em. I'll do that at some point. Until then I might just put something else on top of the stack, maybe find the original silver panel equaliser to sit on top.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
They look great, only thing I would do is find some kind of feet for the units so there is a bit of a even gap between them, better air flow and all that jazz. Technics made some great stuff and kind of bummed they got out of the turntable game, they are my favorite brand to buy. Even their budget stuff has held up well over the years.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This was absolutely the creepiest encounter from CL that I've had yet.

Abandoned looking dilapidated house with security cameras and 'you're on camera' signs all over the front, two fairly...portly guys, of widely disparate ages living in the unfinished basement that was CRAMMED with 'stuff', and they way they eyeballed me and hovered, well I was on edge.

Seems to have been worth it tho, because $50 later I walk out with these, and both seem to work perfectly so far, although I'll bench them for cleaning and checking properly In a bit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iostream.h posted:

This was absolutely the creepiest encounter from CL that I've had yet.

Abandoned looking dilapidated house with security cameras and 'you're on camera' signs all over the front, two fairly...portly guys, of widely disparate ages living in the unfinished basement that was CRAMMED with 'stuff', and they way they eyeballed me and hovered, well I was on edge.

Seems to have been worth it tho, because $50 later I walk out with these, and both seem to work perfectly so far, although I'll bench them for cleaning and checking properly In a bit.

:staredog: Jesus Christ...

Looks like you got yourself a nice haul, though!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Question: Hypothetically, could I use a McIntosh MA 5100 as a pre-amp for an MC 2205?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

BigFactory posted:

Question: Hypothetically, could I use a McIntosh MA 5100 as a pre-amp for an MC 2205?

I wanna say no, I didn't see any preouts in the manual I found online, but I didn't dig enough.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

I wanna say no, I didn't see any preouts in the manual I found online, but I didn't dig enough.

My wallet thanks you. I walked away from the 2205. Still got the 5100 though. I'll post pics

There we go:

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bump just to say that the McIntosh is noisy as gently caress and it sounds amazing. I swapped out a Nikko that was absolutely nothing special, but still pretty clean and accurate to my ear, and the Mac definitely colors the music but in such a great way. Pretty loving cool.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
That expedite looks might empty, better get to work.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

That's my second one. It's full of kids toys.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TooLShack posted:

Speaking of Expedit, has Ikea officially stopped selling the five high version? I finally filled my first one with vinyl and need to buy another :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The replacement Expedit whose name escapes me doesn't have a 5 high version

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I had a couple questions about an AT-11 headshell/cartridge/needle. First off, how good of a unit is this one? How good is it compared to a AT-95?

Next, I was wanting to change the needle on it, but I can't get it off. Is there some secret for doing this? I've tried pulling it every which direction, but I'm scared if I apply much more force I'm worried something on it will break.

Also is there a trick to getting the screws back on (connecting cartridge to headshell)? I cannot find anything to hold them underneath while I tighten, so they just spin. I ended up just fastening them upside down until I figure out this needle change and then putting it back together correctly.

Nice! I have my played plugged into a CR-820 also. How do you like it so far?

Not really a related story, but I'll tell it anyway..My dad had a similar looking unit, a Technics SA-200, which he bought new and I played with growing up. I asked him about it a couple months ago and it turns out it still worked fine but he never used it so he sold it in a yard sale.

Last spring

For $5.

:suicide:

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 23, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Nice! I have my played plugged into a CR-820 also. How do you like it so far?
So far I'm REALLY really enjoying it.
It's loud as crap but not fatiguing in the slightest. Nice, warm sound, but not brash and middy but 'full'.

The Marantz turned out to have a couple of issues, and it was beyond my ability to deal with, so I dropped it off with the shop for repair (and honestly, I'll likely flip it since it's not the model I'm lusting after and it's so freaking heavy) but I really can't complain because that 820 is the nicest sounding stereo I've listened to in a long, long time.

Also, I snagged another SL-1200 recently and didn't feel like waiting for a cart/needle to ship so I stopped by my local Guitar Center, had them price match Amazon for a WHLB Shure (around $70) and I've been quite pleased with it so far. Good detail, nice and crisp, I'm actually kind of tempted to say 'meh' and leave it on there.

On another note, a friend hooked me up with a couple of hundred records today, got to sort and figure out what I want to keep, but definitely the Purple Rain and I have a Tim Curry album that looks hilarious, I can't wait to hear it.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB
I bought a 1984 Technics SU-Z55 stereo amp. It looks really cool and can belt out some serious sound.

It's 30 years old though and caked in old grease. I tried cleaning it with trusty rubbing alcohol and the loving model number came off. Welp. :silent:

How can I properly clean it without lifting any more ink off?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Something like simple green? What kind of grease are we talking about? And how much did you pay for the amp?

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

BigFactory posted:

Something like simple green? What kind of grease are we talking about? And how much did you pay for the amp?

Caked on human grease. 50 bucks.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Been pretty lucky with the thrifts lately, I found this super nice and completely working Pioneer CT-F950. Since it has been awhile since I played my SA-8800 I put the G-8000 on the rack and went all Pioneer in the living room. Love me some fluoroscan, pity they didn't do some kind of vertical fluoroscan meters on the RT-707.

Found this beast of a integrated amp at the Goodwill for cheap, it's a Denon PMA-2000IVR. It works completely with no issues, but is missing the remote. This thing is so heavy, nearly dropped it getting it into the car. It sounds great and might hang on to it and put it into rotation in a month or so.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What is that 'reel-to-reel' that you have setting on top of that speaker? Where can one get one of these, and how much do they run?

In the past, and still occasionally, I will take a job cleaning out foreclosed houses. I have a few audio reels , and even some movie reels that I have found. I have no idea what is on them and wish I had a way to play them.

That's a nice setup you have, and that room looks like a great place just to pop and record on and chill.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Telemarchitect posted:

Caked on human grease. 50 bucks.

That's a lot of money! Were you doing a favor to a friend?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
The R2R on the left speaker is a Pioneer RT-707, the one on the right is a RT-909.

Found a Marantz 2226B for 50 bucks yesterday, works fine, but looks like someone busted the post off the pots and previous owner JB welded it back. Can't tell unless you take the knob off but kind of kills the value some.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 29, 2014

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I recently bought an older turntable that works perfectly, outside of a bent needle. So, I went ahead and bought a AT-95E cartridge to replace the whole shebang. The cartridge fits perfectly, but the metal connectors soldered to the wiring are just a hair too small to fit on the new terminals. Does anyone know where I could go about getting new connectors so I can make this work?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can make the female part of the connector fit the male part of the connector, they're somewhat malleable and meant to fit snugly (typing that made me giggle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the female ends usually have a lengthwise slit to accommodate a little bending. If yours are missing those, you can get new wires from lpgear.com