Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Oh yeah, also I learned a thing. You can tell a lot about a general by what the soldiers call them. Tilly's nickname was "Father Tilly." The men loved him, despite the fact that he wasn't very imposing as a figure, and he was anxious enough about his German to have a translator for all his battlefield speeches. (Hardly anyone could hear battlefield speeches, but they were in the Classics, so...) He was pious and personally abstemious, and they seemed to respect that.

Wallenstein's was "der Henker-Herzog"--the Hangman Lord, because if he caught you doing something against military discipline in his general vicinity rumor had it he'd flip out on you and have you killed.

Also, they hated each other but at one point they had to be roommates for some reason.

Edit: The common soldiers supposed both of them to be wizards, partly because most old soldiers were supposed to be wizards, partly because anyone as pious as Tilly probably had occult dealings and anyone as hosed up as Wallenstein definitely did.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hah, gently caress, yeah . . . I always forget what you guys have to deal with on the manuscript front.

OK, I don't feel quite so bad now. I'll go back to reading really boring stuff where my biggest issue is kinda-fuzzy carbon paper transfers on 60-year old toilette paper grade E. German (probably soviet) pink sheets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

(Or feel bad. Poor Eckert.)

Why exactly was Eckert killed exactly? Because he'd drawn arms against someone above him in the chain of command?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Why exactly was Eckert killed exactly? Because he'd drawn arms against someone above him in the chain of command?
Lord no. Because the Gemeinwebel stabbed him when they fought. He got sick from it and died eight days later. Stabbing Tilly is probably a no go, but at a level this low you're allowed to fight with a dude, you're not slaves or something.

Edit: I preserved the original word choice in a bunch of places, so it might have been confusing. Yeah, the dude was lying in his quarters dying for eight days straight and he probably called his friends in there when he believed that he was about to die, since dying publicly and with foreknowledge is very important for this culture.

Edit 2: Christ, how awkward must that have been for whoever it was who actually lived in that house. Especially since this is all happening in Italy, and these people may or may not speak the language.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 3, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Also, they hated each other but at one point they had to be roommates for some reason.

How has this not been turned into a sitcom yet?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ArchangeI posted:

How has this not been turned into a sitcom yet?

He's a low born money hungry bloodied German Mercenary! He's also one too. Together, they make the whackiest bromance this side of the Rhine!

They also fight crime.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's a low born money hungry bloodied German Mercenary! He's also one too. Together, they make the whackiest bromance this side of the Rhine!

They also fight crime.

Commit.

Edit: And Wallenstein was minor nobility (he had the panic about money that everyone who grows up poor does, though), but Tilly was a count or something. And I'm not sure you could call either one "German"--Tilly definitely wasn't, he's Dutch.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 3, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sacrifices are going to have to be made to get it syndicated. One of them must be played by Charlie Sheen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SeanBeansShako posted:

They also fight crime.

Imagine MASH except both Hawkeye and Frank Burns get killed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sacrifices are going to have to be made to get it syndicated. One of them must be played by Charlie Sheen.
Nicholas Cage, Bad Captain

Edit: According to one source, Tilly was spotted during the sack of Magdeburg riding through the ruined city with a baby held awkwardly in his arms--he had pulled it from its dead mother and had no idea how to hold it. That would have to go in there, for sure.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 3, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Lord no. Because the Gemeinwebel stabbed him when they fought. He got sick from it and died eight days later. Stabbing Tilly is probably a no go, but at a level this low you're allowed to fight with a dude, you're not slaves or something.

Edit: I preserved the original word choice in a bunch of places, so it might have been confusing. Yeah, the dude was lying in his quarters dying for eight days straight and he probably called his friends in there when he believed that he was about to die, since dying publicly and with foreknowledge is very important for this culture.

Edit 2: Christ, how awkward must that have been for whoever it was who actually lived in that house. Especially since this is all happening in Italy, and these people may or may not speak the language.

Now that you say that I'm not sure how I missed it on my first read. I also didn't pick up that the Feldscherr's apprentices were medics, I guessed they were MPs of some sort, subordinate to the Feldscherr, who in my head was a command type, not a barber-doctor. Also I guess Feldscherr remains a term for a paramedic sort of doctor in rural parts of the former USSR, which is pretty cool.

It was also the 'ritual of public death' death bit, which I assumed meant they were going to kill him publicly to prove some sort of point, even though that didn't fit at all with the rest of the passage. It's all much more clear with your clarifications there.

The Imperial War Law exempts the Gemeinwebel from punishment on the grounds of self-defence then I take it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

It was also the 'ritual of public death' death bit, which I assumed meant they were going to kill him publicly to prove some sort of point, even though that didn't fit at all with the rest of the passage. It's all much more clear with your clarifications there, thanks.
Eh, I aimed for elevated and hit pompous and incomprehensible, sorry bout that. Should I edit it?

PittTheElder posted:

The Imperial War Law exempts the Gemeinwebel from punishment on the grounds of self-defence then I take it?
Ahem, it's the praiseworthy Imperial War Law, just like these people are the praiseworthy Graff-Mansfeldish Regiment Of Horse And Foot.

It wasn't that he was defending himself (Eckert didn't attack him), it's that he was responding to a challenge. If someone else mouths off to you, especially if you're their boss, they have given you cause to fight them. That said, a lot of soldiers get executed for killing their opponents in fights, the Gemeinwebel didn't, possibly because he was honestly broken up about the whole thing and sought reconciliation with his opponent, but I think also because Eckert was insubordinate.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 3, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

If someone else mouths off to you, especially if you're their boss, they have given you cause to fight them.
That's still the case here, sort of. It is very easy to accidentally assault someone with harsh language under Irish law.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy poo poo, Hegel, that is a loving great post.

Can you like just give daily anecdotes or something? Also, you made me lose a lot of time learning German officer titles just now so thanks I guess?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, about that link to Tilly's wikipedia article, you know how members of lots of skilled professions are often depicted next to something they've made?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 3, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So there's a new WW2 movie coming out and with the Stalin chat I'm curious about the impact of Lend-Lease on the Eastern Front. What I've read on Wikipedia makes it sound like it was primarily about trucks and other logistical aids to the Soviets. Also, at what point did the US and Soviet leadership realize that they were going to be staring each other down over the coming decades following Nazi Germany's defeat? Were there American/British generals/politicians who wanted to turn on the Soviets and get rid of Stalin's regime/liberate the various nations they'd annexed since '39? How practical would that have been, in the sense of how the Allied-sans-Soviet forces compared to the Soviet forces alone?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lassitude posted:

So there's a new WW2 movie coming out and with the Stalin chat I'm curious about the impact of Lend-Lease on the Eastern Front. What I've read on Wikipedia makes it sound like it was primarily about trucks and other logistical aids to the Soviets. Also, at what point did the US and Soviet leadership realize that they were going to be staring each other down over the coming decades following Nazi Germany's defeat? Were there American/British generals/politicians who wanted to turn on the Soviets and get rid of Stalin's regime/liberate the various nations they'd annexed since '39? How practical would that have been, in the sense of how the Allied-sans-Soviet forces compared to the Soviet forces alone?

Churchill wanted to do that. Nobody else did.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^ Beat me to it.

Lassitude posted:

Were there American/British generals/politicians who wanted to turn on the Soviets and get rid of Stalin's regime/liberate the various nations they'd annexed since '39? How practical would that have been, in the sense of how the Allied-sans-Soviet forces compared to the Soviet forces alone?

Yeah, Churchill mused about doing this. It definitely would not have worked.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

The RAF and the French Air Force had plans in 1940 to bomb Soviet oilfields in order to destroy the Soviet economy and deny Nazi Germany access Soviet oil (the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact having just been signed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pike

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't remember if this thread was discussing the last time a political leader led troops into battle, but there's an interesting anecdote in this piece (from today) about Nouri Al Maliki from Ali Khedery, one of the top American intermediaries in Iraq during the occupation:

quote:

Prone to conspiracy theories after decades of being hunted by Hussein’s intelligence services, he was convinced that his Shiite Islamist rival Moqtada al-Sadr was seeking to undermine him. So in March 2008, Maliki hopped into his motorcade and led an Iraqi army charge against Sadr’s Mahdi Army in Basra. With no planning, logistics, intelligence, air cover or political support from Iraq’s other leaders, Maliki picked a fight with an Iranian-backed militia that had stymied the U.S. military since 2003.

Locked in the ambassador’s office for several hours, Crocker, Petraeus, the general’s aide and I pored over the political and military options and worked the phones with Maliki and his ministers in Basra. We feared that Maliki’s field headquarters would be overrun and he’d be killed, an Iraqi tradition for seizing power. I dialed up Iraq’s Sunni Arab, Shiite Arab and Kurdish leaders so Crocker could urge them to publicly stand behind Maliki. Petraeus ordered an admiral to Basra to lead U.S. Special Operations forces against the Mahdi Army. For days, I received calls from Maliki’s special assistant, Gatah al-Rikabi, urging American airstrikes to level entire city blocks in Basra; I had to remind him that the U.S. military is not as indiscriminate with force as Maliki’s army is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ry.html?hpid=z1
Wikipedia tells me (although the source is defunct) that a mortar attack hit the ops center and killed one of Maliki's security officials. I wonder if Maliki was in the building...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lassitude posted:

So there's a new WW2 movie coming out and with the Stalin chat I'm curious about the impact of Lend-Lease on the Eastern Front. What I've read on Wikipedia makes it sound like it was primarily about trucks and other logistical aids to the Soviets.

Lend-Lease included weapons, vehicles (Lots of trucks and some half tracks. I've read that they really liked the M3 Scout car too), oil, food (Lots and lots of Spam) and other support. Of the vehicles received some were considered by the soviets to be quite poor (Matilda II, Valentine) while others they liked many aspects of (Later-model M4s). How important those vehicles were depended upon the theater of operations and how good their connection was to the Soviet supply lines. The Caucasus front used a lot of Lend Lease vehicles for a while because they drew supplies from Iran when they were cut off from the rest of the Soviet territory.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The translation I read of One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisivich Constantly refers to the guards as being armed with "tommy guns". Is that just a quirky translation or did the USSR actually receive Thompson SMGs as part of lend lease? If they did it would sort of make sense to give them to Gulag guards who probably won't ever have to fire them or anything and waste lend-lease ammo.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The USSR did receive lend-lease Thompsons but apparently didn't use them very much because of the ammo commonality issue you mention. On the other hand, I have read memoirs (unfortunately no titles come to mind) in which basically any submachine gun is referred to as a "Tommy gun". If you don't know/care about guns (or have been in a Gulag since before the PPSh was introduced), it wouldn't be unreasonable to call an automatic stubby rifle-looking thing with a drum magazine a "Tommy gun".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I always thought it referred to the PPSh family myself. If you don't give a drat the -41 drum magazine model looks kinda-sorta like a Thompson. Wood stock, big round thing bottom center, fires fast, kills you, same dealie, right?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I know what you meant but i read it at first as a negative 41 drum magazine and was wondering how negative bullets work. I settled on it would probably make suicide with anything save a handgun very much easier.

e: oh poo poo, maybe it steals ammunition from the enemy. Or spits out unspent cartridges at the rate of fire that you would shoot them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

e: oh poo poo, maybe it steals ammunition from the enemy. Or spits out unspent cartridges at the rate of fire that you would shoot them.

It's like watching Rambo backwards: soldiers healing people with their magic bullet vacuums.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

It's like watching Rambo backwards: soldiers healing people with their magic bullet vacuums.

I'll have you know that this motif was used in both Slaughterhouse 5 and Come and See and both are very good :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Digging up my previous post on Lend Lease:

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the topic of "just how much did the Western Allies/the US contribute to WWII/would WWII have been winnable by the Soviets without US intervention", David Glantz's When Titans Clashed has a short chapter on Allied contributions to the Russo-Soviet War. If I may rattle off some bullet points:

* At the time of Barbarossa, 75% of all German land and air units were committed to fighting in the Eastern front
* The first significant shift of troops away from the Eastern front to the Western one happened after the Dieppe Raid in Aug 1942, such as the transfer of the 22nd Infantry Division out Crimea and into Crete to protect against a possible Allied landing there
* Nov 1942 was another significant drain on East Front-bound reinforcements, as the Second Battle of Alamein and the Torch Landings got Hitler to send more units (notably Fallschirmjager formations) and prioritize reinforcements to Tunisia. This reprioritization prevented Army Group South from making good the losses incurred during the heavy Aug-Sep 1942 fighting and from assembling strategic reserves

* 400 Luftwaffe aircraft were redeployed from the Eastern Front to the Mediterranean between Nov-Dec 1942
* Losses taken by the Luftwaffe in the Med sector between Nov 1942 to May 1943 amounted to 2400 aircraft, or 40 of the Luftwaffe's total strength. Notably, 177 Ju-52 and 6 Me-323 transports were lost in airlift "surges" going to Tunisia during the campaign to keep that front resupplied, and those irreplaceable losses would later prevent any further airlift operations anywhere else
* The Anglo-American bomber offensive was yet another significant drain on the Luftwaffe's strength - starting May 1943, more German fighters were lost fending off bomber raids than were lost fighting the Red Air Force. Specifically, 335 Luftwaffe fighters were lost fighting the RAF and the 8th AF compared to 201 fighters lost over Russia in Jul 1943, during Operation Citadel in Kursk

* Lend-Lease from the US and the UK amounted to something on the order of 34 million uniforms, 14.5 million pairs of boots, 4.2 million tons of food, 11 800 railroad locomotives and cars, as well as raw materials in the form of aluminium, manganese, coal and other resources
* At one point, the Soviet Purchasing Committee requested 8 tons of uranium oxide from the US for the Soviet nuclear program. This was denied
* Specifically called-out with regards to Lend-Lease was 409 000 cargo trucks and 47 000 jeeps. 2 out of 3 Red Army trucks were foreign-built by the end of the war and were ubiquitous enough for "studabaker" and "villy" to enter colloquial Russian. These trucks are frequently called out as very significant Western contributions to the Soviet war effort as being critical to the Red Army's logistical needs. Had they not been around, Soviet offensive penetrations would have been shallower and logistical tethers would have been much shorter, something that the Red Army already had problems with even with these Lend-Lease trucks already being there. Alternatively, they may have forced Soviet industry to shift away from tanks, guns, aircraft and other direct military equipment and build trucks instead, which would have had its own rippling effect as well.

* Direct military equipment given through Lend-Lease was not quite as well received. Matilda and Valentine tanks had such small cannon that they were practically useless against the German tanks that the Soviets were facing by 1942 onwards.
* M4 Shermans were considered inferior to the T-34 in some circles because the narrower treads weren't as good when driving through mud and the Shermans consumed more fuel (personal note: I recall a post in the old Mil-Hist thread about a personal account of a Soviet tanker and he seemed to really enjoy the Sherman over the Soviet tanks for its creature comforts, so the Sherman being worse in this text may be from a more higher-up perspective
* The Red Air Force really liked the transport aircraft coming from the West, but did not like the combat planes very much. They wanted CAS, ground attack and low-altitude fighter aircraft, but most Western designs were high-altitude long-range fighters and heavy bombers. The A-20 bomber performed well enough, but the Hurricanes, P-39 Airacobra and P-40 Warhawks were either unsuited for what the Red Air Force really needed, were already obsolete, or both. About the best thing that can be said was that the P-39 Airacobra performed somewhat better in the Eastern theater than anywhere else since the lower altitudes made it less vulnerable to its particular handling idiosyncrasies

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

* The Red Air Force really liked the transport aircraft coming from the West, but did not like the combat planes very much. They wanted CAS, ground attack and low-altitude fighter aircraft, but most Western designs were high-altitude long-range fighters and heavy bombers. The A-20 bomber performed well enough, but the Hurricanes, P-39 Airacobra and P-40 Warhawks were either unsuited for what the Red Air Force really needed, were already obsolete, or both. About the best thing that can be said was that the P-39 Airacobra performed somewhat better in the Eastern theater than anywhere else since the lower altitudes made it less vulnerable to its particular handling idiosyncrasies

Didn't a significant number of Soviet aces fly the P-39?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hole Wolf posted:

Didn't a significant number of Soviet aces fly the P-39?

If I remember right, there were a few posts following Gradenko's that kind of argued that the P-39 was actually rather well-liked by the Soviets, or at least regarded neutrally. It did what they needed, even if it wasn't too useful to the Americans. Search for Bewbies' posts, think it was him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I should have linked to these in my original post: here's some stuff on the way Early Modern Europeans approached death.

Ideally, you know beforehand--not just that you're dying, but down to the day. Then you prepare yourself spiritually and make a public display--forgiving people you've had disputes with, as Eckert did, exhorting the living to do good and follow God, getting someone to write down your words while you dole out your property (I read a testament from a dying Musterschreiber where he said that all his landed property went to his wife and children, and then said he had 26 ducats on him in cash at the time and that should go to his lieutenant). You should die conscious. When Catholic polemicists wanted to slander Luther, one of the things they said was that he died suddenly, which would have meant that he could not prepare and would have strongly indicated that he had been killed, then carried off, by demons.

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.php?id=7688
http://www.academia.edu/271597/The_Gift_of_Mourning_Death_in_the_Early_Modern_Household
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hour-Our-Death-Attitudes/dp/0394751566

Edit: That's the cultural ideal, of course. If some fucker cuts your throat in the middle of pike-on-pike combat, or if (as was far more likely) you get so sick you have no idea what's going on and then they tip your body into an open pit along with all the rest, twenty a day...well, that's a problem, isn't it? I bet they thought about that a lot.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 4, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If I remember right, there were a few posts following Gradenko's that kind of argued that the P-39 was actually rather well-liked by the Soviets, or at least regarded neutrally. It did what they needed, even if it wasn't too useful to the Americans. Search for Bewbies' posts, think it was him.

Yup, that's right. The Sherman was pretty beloved by the actual troops doing the driving as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

So, about that link to Tilly's wikipedia article, you know how members of lots of skilled professions are often depicted next to something they've made?

Brick-laying was a very respected profession back then :downs:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Brick-laying was a very respected profession back then :downs:

Negative bricklaying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HEY GAL posted:

Negative bricklaying.

Job-creation

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The translation I read of One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisivich Constantly refers to the guards as being armed with "tommy guns". Is that just a quirky translation or did the USSR actually receive Thompson SMGs as part of lend lease? If they did it would sort of make sense to give them to Gulag guards who probably won't ever have to fire them or anything and waste lend-lease ammo.

In that period many people referred to any SMG as a Tommy Gun. Keep in mind the Thompson was one of the first successful SMGs, especially in the US where it entered public consciousness more than just about any single firearm ever. It's the same as how people say Kleenex instead of facial tissue.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or "machine gun"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
These days everything's an AK.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
John McClane:

"Ho ho ho I have HK94A with modified components from MP5A3"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That day in the life of mercenaries post made me want to rewatch The Last Valley for the millionth time. drat, I love that movie.

• Locked thread