Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fulchrum posted:

Also, Transistor is apparently a remake of Bastion, which is news to a lot of us.

Literally its biggest selling point. There's promo art with the Bastion kid and the Transistor girl holding hands. How's this news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
So I'm looking to buy a WiiU, mostly for Mario Kart and a few other goodies. Is it worth paying for the 32gig premium, or is the 8gig basic good enough with a memory card threw in somewhere?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Deluxe edition has a deal where every $50 you spend you get $5 in eShop credit. So, basically, buy a game, get the next one for $5 off. That includes redeeming your free MK8 game, too, as it's marked as a $50 purchase on the shop.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fingerless Gloves posted:

So I'm looking to buy a WiiU, mostly for Mario Kart and a few other goodies. Is it worth paying for the 32gig premium, or is the 8gig basic good enough with a memory card threw in somewhere?

Yeah, you want the deluxe one. If you want to save money Nintendo's store has refurb ones for $200.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Deluxe edition has a deal where every $50 you spend you get $5 in eShop credit. So, basically, buy a game, get the next one for $5 off. That includes redeeming your free MK8 game, too, as it's marked as a $50 purchase on the shop.

Yeah, buying Mario Kart gave me $10 for free so I bought Pushmo, which is an awesome game. I think I had to pay tax on it, but it was basically free. It's worth it if you buy things on the eShop.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Sadly enough, it's £ for me. Do we get screwed in this conversion deal? Like 5p to the pound instead of 50p? Also no refurb deals for us, which is a drat shame because that is so loving cheap it's unreal.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dude789 posted:

Fulcrum and Fame Douglas just need to get a Wii U and Mario 3D world will make them forget all their bitter and jaded feelings that are causing all of these bad posts in this thread.

I've played that exact same game 4 times over the last 20 years, why on earth would a fifth change my opinion?

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The difference being you've made some posts in this thread that anybody with a sense of shame would have edited immediately, or not posted in the first place, and you accuse others of doing something "at the cost of their dignity."
You mean like trying to claim that Link Between Worlds is not a sequel but a brand new IP because you had to pay for ALTTP?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Maide posted:

Yeah, buying Mario Kart gave me $10 for free so I bought Pushmo, which is an awesome game. I think I had to pay tax on it, but it was basically free. It's worth it if you buy things on the eShop.

I dunno if it's really worth it, honestly. I buy every single game on the eshop just because I don't want to have a bunch of physical copies of poo poo and I don't give a crap about not being able to play Pikmin 3 in 2048 but monetarily it's not really that great of a deal, especially if you live in a state that has sales tax. The 5 dollars that I save buying a 60 dollar game just knocks off the tax that I would be paying anyways. If you're only buying downloadable indie eshop games it's going to take like 4 or 5 of them to get you a 5 dollar credit which isn't really that much in the scheme of things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
uhhhhh is it ok to like nintendo and the wii u and transistor at the same time

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

all of those things are good so it is ok to like them all

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I've played that exact same game 4 times over the last 20 years, why on earth would a fifth change my opinion?

Overlooking that earlier you bristled when someone said Bastion and Transistor are similar but now say SNES Mario World and WiiU 3D world are the exact same game... sometimes the 5th time's the charm. Like cigarettes.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like trying to claim that Link Between Worlds is not a sequel but a brand new IP because you had to pay for ALTTP?

Show me where I said anything like that.

What I actually said is that it wasn't a remake of LttP.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

I dunno if it's really worth it, honestly. I buy every single game on the eshop just because I don't want to have a bunch of physical copies of poo poo and I don't give a crap about not being able to play Pikmin 3 in 2048 but monetarily it's not really that great of a deal, especially if you live in a state that has sales tax. The 5 dollars that I save buying a 60 dollar game just knocks off the tax that I would be paying anyways. If you're only buying downloadable indie eshop games it's going to take like 4 or 5 of them to get you a 5 dollar credit which isn't really that much in the scheme of things.

If it's the difference to you between buying a physical CD and eStore, it might not be worth it. I had already planned to digital download anything, so it's just a bonus for me. I'm not 100% sure, but I think a whole bunch of the eStore games don't have physical copies you can buy, so having the extra hard drive space is probably still useful. Both 8GB and 32GB hard drives are still really small and crap, when you think about it.

Another thing to keep in mind, the Digital Deluxe promotion only lasts until July 2015, so it's only valid for another year, if that affects your Deluxe vs Standard purchase.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
you should probably just try to get your hands on one of the refurbs, they are basically flawless and the cheapest option

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Maide posted:

If it's the difference to you between buying a physical CD and eStore, it might not be worth it. I had already planned to digital download anything, so it's just a bonus for me. I'm not 100% sure, but I think a whole bunch of the eStore games don't have physical copies you can buy, so having the extra hard drive space is probably still useful. Both 8GB and 32GB hard drives are still really small and crap, when you think about it.

Another thing to keep in mind, the Digital Deluxe promotion only lasts until July 2015, so it's only valid for another year, if that affects your Deluxe vs Standard purchase.

Did they extend it because the site still says Dec 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

i cant imagine them not extending it or making it forever

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

Overlooking that earlier you bristled when someone said Bastion and Transistor are similar but now say SNES Mario World and WiiU 3D world are the exact same game... sometimes the 5th time's the charm. Like cigarettes.

I was unaware that 1990 was less than 20 years earlier than 2014. Must be that Nintendo math that makes 3 rehashes equal ten games worth the price of admission.

Chronojam posted:

Literally its biggest selling point. There's promo art with the Bastion kid and the Transistor girl holding hands. How's this news?

There's promo art put out by Rare of Banjo and Kazooie with the characters from Viva Pinata and Killer Instinct. We gonna claim those are the same games?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The only thing keeping me from purchasing a WiiU was the hope that they'd release a version with more hard drive space than my phone, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon so I'm probably going to just pick up one of the local mall's leftover Zelda systems.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The only thing keeping me from purchasing a WiiU was the hope that they'd release a version with more hard drive space than my phone, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon so I'm probably going to just pick up one of the local mall's leftover Zelda systems.

Just shove a USB HD into it if you need more space. Getting pretty cheap these days

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

There's promo art put out by Rare of Banjo and Kazooie with the characters from Viva Pinata and Killer Instinct. We gonna claim those are the same games?

Yep.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Watch Dogs is aggressively unoriginal so it more or less meets your requirements, but it is definitely not Assassin's Creed. It's more of an open world game casserole with a little AC in there.

every Ubisoft game has turned into: hack a tower to reveal side missions and collectibles between story missions.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

Did they extend it because the site still says Dec 2014

Oh, yeah gently caress, it is December 2014. I was remembering the July date from the time limit to use codes you had already earned.

I hope they extend it, but I don't know how much it's costing them to run it. Since your eStore credit purchases work toward earning more eStore credit, which work toward earning more eStore credit.... it might not be so cheap. Although, at this point, they should probably keep doing everything they can to sell Wii Us

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah, it isn't hard to add an external drive but it's dumb that my 3DS currently has more storage than my Wii U. It'd be nice if you could use the SD slot but that's apparently only for Wii compatibility.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yeah, it isn't hard to add an external drive but it's dumb that my 3DS currently has more storage than my Wii U. It'd be nice if you could use the SD slot but that's apparently only for Wii compatibility.

Aye, homebrew compatibility. It was nice that Ninty kept that in

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I was unaware that 1990 was less than 20 years earlier than 2014. Must be that Nintendo math that makes 3 rehashes equal ten games worth the price of admission.

Easy there, I didn't realize you meant 20 years down to the day. I couldn't think of any Mario games in 1994 and World seemed the closest. If you meant 64 instead the point still stands.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

lol you literally have 8 pages worth of complaining, probably more than people who actually like the wiiu. someone in denial :gay:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol you literally have 8 pages worth of complaining, probably more than people who actually like the wiiu. someone in denial :gay:

You are aware this isn't supposed to be the WiiU hugbox, right? Just cause a bunch of children who can't stand the idea of anyone saying mean things about the WiiU have forcibly derailed this thing, that doesn't change the original point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

E3 happened get over it already

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

You are aware this isn't supposed to be the WiiU hugbox, right? Just cause a bunch of children who can't stand the idea of anyone saying mean things about the WiiU have forcibly derailed this thing, that doesn't change the original point.

im aware you were quite serious with pages upon pages of armchair business analysis before someone called you an idiot and turned you into a baby which has all been entertaining as gently caress. also your previous posts sucked dick anyway hth

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
where do bowsers kids come from

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheEggsBenedict posted:

where do bowsers kids come from

his dick, which i am SURE there are pictures of on the internet unlike certain posters in this thread

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fulchrum posted:

this thread was a joke from the start but after e3 it's obvious nintendo is supporting the system poor sales or no so nannee nannee boo boo

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

this thread was a joke from the start but after e3 it's obvious nintendo is supporting the system poor sales or no so nannee nannee boo boo
And its even clearer no third party will under any circumstances whatsoever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Who knows really how similar Bloodborne will be to Dark Souls but those other two comparisons are so reductive as to be meaningless. Borderlands 2 has zero fun in it whatsoever, for instance, but that Destiny alpha turned out to be pretty fun and not that similar really. I went in a skeptic.

Watch Dogs is aggressively unoriginal so it more or less meets your requirements, but it is definitely not Assassin's Creed. It's more of an open world game casserole with a little AC in there.
whether they're fun or not fun, they're still reconstituted from the same animal parts, they're rehashes and not new or original ideas, just attempts to refine existing systems and mechanics, the same way Nintendo does with their games

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fulchrum posted:

lol who cares

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

devils third looks p cool

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fulchrum posted:

nnno how will i play assasim creed

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

catdynamite posted:

devils third looks p cool

itagaki has made cool games in the past so ghopefully with nintendo's godlike support he will make another good game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

either that or you could pretend that games like Destiny (borderlands) watch dogs (assassin's creed) and project beast (dark souls) are not rehashes even though they are

Borderlands and Dark Souls however are both incredibly successful original IPs from the last 5 years that have appeared on every major platform except Nintendo's so I dunno if this post is very convincing.

Nintendo is cool though please enjoy Transistor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

absolutely anything posted:

nnno how will i play assasim creed

or the new Battlefield: Cops & Robbers where both cops and robbers have assault rifles and flashbangs and the game crashes because :dice:

• Locked thread