Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

The_Frag_Man posted:

How do you know it's going to go on sale? On the EU PSN it's more expensive than when I bought a physical copy years ago.

Yeah its default price is crazy, or I would've bought it by now.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/07/02/big-japan-sale-returns-ps-store-week/
Persona 3 Portable (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July)
Was €29.99/AU$44.95/£24.99, now €12.99/AU$19.45/£9.99
Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll get P3P for the party controls (I hate bad AI) and the vita OLED goodness. Maybe I'll youtube the cutscenes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The female route has scenes not in any other route, including the male MC in P3P. I'd get P3P over any of the other versions of the game, especially if you have a Vita as I assume you do since you're in the P4G thread.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Well, I just finished P3. For years before playing it I'd regularly see people talk about P4 having better characters/gameplay while P3 had a better overarching story, but earlier on I just wasn't seeing that. There's extremely little plot development for the vast majority of the game and what's there wasn't good. But the final month or so pulls it all together in such an amazing way that I can kinda completely look past the rest. Whoever did the music in particular deserves mad props because that stuff was absolutely critical and really sold what they were going for in the later stages. While P4's ending had its high points, overall it didn't stick the landing anywhere near as well. I guess I'd also like to mention that I had P3's ending spoiled for me long ago, but I think that knowing what happens gave certain things more impact than they'd have otherwise. I don't regret reading it at all.

The combat system wasn't lacking as much as I anticipated compared to P4, and there were a few things I liked more. Physical skills being split into 3 categories seemed pointlessly annoying at first but I think it was a fantastic idea. I typed a long, detailed, boring paragraph on why, but instead I'll just say that it added significantly more depth than I imagined in quite a number of ways, and it made regular attacks far more useful. I also liked a lot of P3's bosses. P4 doesn't have any that stand out to me (at least mechanically), but encounters like Fortune, the last regular tartarus boss, and the final boss had some neat mechanics.

One other thing I appreciated is that Persona 3 doesn't treat you like quite as much of an idiot. It gets more than a little ridiculous in 4 where they seemingly always repeat what you just read, often several times. A previously shocking moment becomes much less shocking when I have to button though 3 further complete descriptions of what I just saw.

I still prefer P4, but I'm glad I stuck through it and finished this one. Now that I know 4 wasn't a one-off, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the next in the series.

Also, the hermit social link totally paid off which I wasn't expecting at all. Had a big dumb grin on my face throughout most of that scene and the game knew it. I absolutely despised that s-link at first but it ended up being the best out of both P3 and P4. And who woulda thought Aigis would end up being a good character?

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 3, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona 3 had an amazing ending. It's tacked on to the end of a 70 hour game where not a lot happens, but it's hard to forget that when the entire end sequence is done perfectly. All the music changing to sombre stuff all over the place, every NPC in the city suddenly either suffering from Apathy or starting to doubt why they're alive. I think P3 did December much better than P4 did.

When you're done with the game, that last bit sticks in your mind. When you're done with P4 you remember pretty much everything, even if the ending wasn't quite as amazing. IMO P4 does it better, because the S Links, party interactions, and story in general are actually interesting the whole way through.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Which one was the hermit link? I forgot.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Which one was the hermit link? I forgot.

The MMO.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Oh yeah, a couple other random thoughts about the P3 ending:

Aigis' voice becomes progressively more human as the game goes on, culminating at the very end scene where she sounds almost completely normal. It wasn't until right there that I noticed she has the same voice actress as Nanako. That was kind of weird. The avatar of death itself being voiced by Yosuke was also a little bizarre. BLAH BLAH ARCANA/DEATH OMINOUS WORDS. CRITICAL HIT TO THE NADS.

When you die to loving mudo or whatever in FES, it dumps you back to the startup intro where you're greeted by the unfortunately familiar sight of Aigis' sad face alongside some lyrics. In the final moments of the game, you die looking at Aigis' sad face and then a different version of that song plays, which is the only other point I remember hearing it. I doubt it was intentional since it's FES-specific as far as I know, but I thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It probably was intentional considering The Answer, which is only in FES to begin with.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well Vargs, get cracking. The Answer ain't gonna play itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona 3 had an amazing ending. It's tacked on to the end of a 70 hour game where not a lot happens, but it's hard to forget that when the entire end sequence is done perfectly. All the music changing to sombre stuff all over the place, every NPC in the city suddenly either suffering from Apathy or starting to doubt why they're alive. I think P3 did December much better than P4 did.

When you're done with the game, that last bit sticks in your mind. When you're done with P4 you remember pretty much everything, even if the ending wasn't quite as amazing. IMO P4 does it better, because the S Links, party interactions, and story in general are actually interesting the whole way through.

You might say that when you're done with the game you will remember that one day, you will die :v:

Instant Grat posted:

Absolutely do not do this.

But yeah my love of P3s themes of death and mortality are why I'm rrreaally not super keen on them carrying forward this plot line of Elizabeth and Aigis attempting to free the P3 MC from the seal. I feel like it kind of cheapens the whole drat thing if they succeed

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 4, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

My current line of thinking is that youtube says otherwise. I've just got to find something that strips out all of the boring bullshit and doesn't have commentary. Or maybe I won't bother at all. Does this game even need an epilogue?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vargs posted:

My current line of thinking is that youtube says otherwise. I've just got to find something that strips out all of the boring bullshit and doesn't have commentary. Or maybe I won't bother at all. Does this game even need an epilogue?

Not really no. The Answer mostly just restates what any vaguely observant person would have deduced from the ending of P3. Presumably, for the people who really did not get it at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Allow me to summarize The Answer for you to save you the trouble of playing it: Atlus really, really likes Aeigis the end.

There's a screenshot LP in the archives if you're into that kind of thing. Check out the music though, that stuff is actually good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgxs785sqjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmpBWcLnZk

Ta-da, The Answer.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There's an LP on the archive that's pretty good - skips most of the boring stuff, has a supplementary side update for each main update that goes a bit deeper into the strategies and stuff, it's a good + short read.

http://lparchive.org/The-Answer/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the Answer. It was brutally hard, almost entirely dungeon and boss battle intensive, you got to have sweet duels against certain main characters and also had cool music bits. In other words, it was an actual SMT game.

babbies up in this thread need to play a game with balls like Strange Journey

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I liked the Answer. It was brutally hard, almost entirely dungeon and boss battle intensive, you got to have sweet duels against certain main characters and also had cool music bits. In other words, it was an actual SMT game.

I tried to play Strange Journey but stopped because I didn't care about anyone or anything that was happening v:shobon:v

The Answer is like that except not as potent. The Answer at least takes characters I like and then has them do stupendously uninteresting and rehashed things.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

I tried to play Strange Journey but stopped because I didn't care about anyone or anything that was happening v:shobon:v

The Answer is like that except not as potent. The Answer at least takes characters I like and then has them do stupendously uninteresting and rehashed things.

That's a shame, I think Strange Journey has one of the best supporting casts in SMT games. You have a lot of really cool NPCs who you grow attached to over the adventure. The atmosphere is really rich too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah the answer is pretty mediocre

and i've beaten strange journey so i guess that makes my opinion valid

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked Strange Journey a lot and The Answer still isn't very good, whether you're looking at it from a gameplay or plot perspective.

Also Strange Journey isn't hard.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

I also liked the Answer as kind of a challenge mode version of the game. Yeah it didn't have any of the out of dungeon stuff but the last few months of P3 were ludicrously easy for me with the end game personas and that fusion combo that does 9999 damage so it was nice that battles were actually difficult again. Not having access to the compendium made the battle system way more interesting too since you now had to think carefully about your fusions instead of just knowing you can buy the fused personas back again.
And yeah the music was rad.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Welp, I went through the cutscenes on youtube. Turns out that the "answer" is no; it's not worth playing or even watching. I would not have been pleased if I actually spent 30 hours grinding through that garbage and I think I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. But it did have some redeeming features!

A. Metis' combat animations were kinda cool I guess.
B. The guy playing it used the Alice persona a lot and I couldn't see it as anything other than (P4 spoiler)Teddie in drag which I think greatly improved the experience. (S)he even does the little spin and point.
C. This fuckin guy. He's just so happy to be a boss. Look at that smile!

edit: After reading a GBS thread where the OP is asked not to watch the Matrix sequels by just about everyone, it comes to mind that I should mention to anyone who's in the position I was earlier today: please do not play or watch The Answer because the ending of P3 was much better/perfect without it.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 4, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think I'm a bit overlevelled in P4G. I just got the 'Break 1,000 damage' trophy off the bonus boss of Void Quest.

And hurrah for the EU sale. Picked up P3P and Innocent Sin. Started P3P on Hard this time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It should be noted that the story of The Answer directly feeds into some of the story in Persona 4 Arena, so if you care about that then probably either play it or read the lp

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, it's not like the story of The Answer ruins anything. Aigis just goes 'am i a real boy' and everyone goes 'yes,' eien no yasuragi ni tsutsumarete love through all eternity. It's not like it turns out that Nyx was actually an alien from the planet Zeist or anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't really need The Answer to understand what's going on in Arena. The real main character was created just for that game anyway. The writing is also still kinda bad (worse than The Answer in some ways, really), they seem to have problems with continuing the story of these games.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Are Dancing Hands (the ones that drop Thick Hides) the rarest thing in the Steamy Bathhouse? Because I've been combing the place for nearly 2 and a half hours now (maybe more) and have only gotten 1 Thick Hide.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Are Dancing Hands (the ones that drop Thick Hides) the rarest thing in the Steamy Bathhouse? Because I've been combing the place for nearly 2 and a half hours now (maybe more) and have only gotten 1 Thick Hide.

Yes, they're a loving nightmare to farm. They appear from floors 5-8, though IIRC the ones on floor 5 are best because they appear two at a time.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Yes, they're a loving nightmare to farm. They appear from floors 5-8, though IIRC the ones on floor 5 are best because they appear two at a time.

Well, thank christ that I only need the five hides from them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could also ignore that quest, none of the side quests are worth the effort. A few do get you outfits if that's your thing but I'd just look up how to get those if you want them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You don't even get a trophy for doing all of them either. Besides the Hermit and costume ones they don't really serve much of a purpose.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could also ignore that quest, none of the side quests are worth the effort. A few do get you outfits if that's your thing but I'd just look up how to get those if you want them.

I suffer from crippling video game-related OCD, and cannot help myself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's the dude you get books from, though. You need to do his quests to get the trophy for reading every book in one playthrough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

The side quest outfits are just kind of sad, but making Yosuke and Kanji fight with fish is always worth the effort.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I don't know the details, but are they maybe a rainy day only rare monster? And you're not in the dungeon on a rainy day?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
No they are just an absolute ballache to find.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To my knowledge there are no enemies that only appear on rainy days in P4G, it's just the river/sea guardians for fishing that need rain or snow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

To my knowledge there are no enemies that only appear on rainy days in P4G, it's just the river/sea guardians for fishing that need rain or snow.

No, any enemy with the "Rain" or "Rainy" descriptors or the Boy's/Girl's Talc enemy types only spawn on rainy days. You get special armors for selling their drops to Daidara.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

No, any enemy with the "Rain" or "Rainy" descriptors or the Boy's/Girl's Talc enemy types only spawn on rainy days. You get special armors for selling their drops to Daidara.

Yeah - in vanilla P4, the rainy day-only enemies almost never drop anything, but on the flipside, you only need to sell one of their drops to Daidara to unlock the equipment. In Golden, their drop rate is much much higher, but you need to sell several copies of each item to unlock the goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So the P4G Anime is, indeed, a New Game+. Yu is a hilarious golden god of a man. The gas station attendant doesn't even have time to talk about the part time job, Yu just goes up and offers his hand and the attendant's just :confused:

• Locked thread