Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're never likely to be summoned as a sentinel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I'm about to finish me playthrough using various Twinblades as my main weapon in the game, here's my review of them.

They're poo poo.

They do piss poor damage even when you're hitting someone forty times, they break extremely quickly, their range is super poor, all of their attacks have a long wind up so they're useless in PvP.

The only good things about them is that you feel like you're Darth Maul using one and this:

It looks like overkill in the form of a stick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I could defend the shrine of amana on NG but this is just a loving slog on NG+. Good thing the boss is still easy because I never want to have to do that again.

The first time you get back to the fog door and you just see an entire posse staring back at you you know you've come to the wrong neighborhood.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're never likely to be summoned as a sentinel.

Not my experience personally. At 4m SM as Fun Police, I got summoned on the reg when I chilled at Dragon Shrine and/or Undead Crypt.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

The only good things about them is that you feel like you're Darth Maul using one and this:

:stare:

That thing could do loving negative damage and I'd still want one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scandalous posted:

On the topic of BLUCOPS, am I likely to be summoned to defend in NG+ with about 4.46m Soul Memory, or am I just wasting a ring slot? I wouldn't think many people stick with Way of the Blue in NG+.

I've had about the same rate of summons through almost all of NG+ (about one every 2 hours) except for a couple times when I got a few together quickly.

It doesn't really ever get better, because invasions are super rare during the first half of NG when people are actually in the way of blue, then after that almost nobody is in the covenant. I just keep the ring on and play the game normally, keep some Payday 2 police assault music around if I ever get a 911 call and consider it a pleasant surprise if it happens.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Someone just got me this game and I've died at least five times just loving up my spatial awareness and rolling off a cliff

This is a fun game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The first time you get back to the fog door and you just see an entire posse staring back at you you know you've come to the wrong neighborhood.

I only got past that godawful part when the game decided not to load the back 3 enemies before I killed the others so I didn't have to deal with half of the infinite stamina zerg and one of the turbo wizards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I only got past that godawful part when the game decided not to load the back 3 enemies before I killed the others so I didn't have to deal with half of the infinite stamina zerg and one of the turbo wizards.

That just means you killed those enemies so many times that they ran out of respawns. Every enemy has a limited number of spawns before they stop coming back.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

So I'm about to finish me playthrough using various Twinblades as my main weapon in the game, here's my review of them.

They're poo poo.

They do piss poor damage even when you're hitting someone forty times, they break extremely quickly, their range is super poor, all of their attacks have a long wind up so they're useless in PvP.

Try imbuing poison or bleed. Each individual hit adds to the status meter, so you can poison someone with pretty much a single attack.

(I only know this because this just happened to me 2 seconds ago.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

That just means you killed those enemies so many times that they ran out of respawns. Every enemy has a limited number of spawns before they stop coming back.

No they appeared right after I killed the others. There's no way I could have extincted just the back enemies and nothing else on the way anyway.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Try imbuing poison or bleed. Each individual hit adds to the status meter, so you can poison someone with pretty much a single attack.

(I only know this because this just happened to me 2 seconds ago.)

It's hardly worth it, they are heavy weapons so I could get a better result out of power stancing caestus.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Well thanks to the threads advice I have been practising parries and holy poo poo, I am wrecking house with them. Having so much fun letting them roll at me and just shadow daggering their faces when they try to stab. Also getting a hang of parrying normal attacks but that usually gets me a little hurt since I get hit once then parry and splat they go.

Still having difficulty using magic in PvP, either they are surprised and die instantly to soul spears/homing or they just completely ignore them and I gotta fall back to more of a stabby approach. Trying to mix it up and get better with my Blue Flame, it seems slower or at least less affective then my old fire Longsword but I love just throwing out the random magic pew pews.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's hardly worth it, they are heavy weapons so I could get a better result out of power stancing caestus.

Not really. Twinblades are capable of more hits and they have decent range making them better for poisoning. That's still irrelevant since rapiers are still pretty much the best for poison (especially Ricard's).

It looks like you're using the regular Twinblade. That would be your problem, its damage is garbage. If you want a good damaging twinblade you want the Stone Twinblade or Dragonrider's (the latter only if you can buff it with GMW/CMW). Stone Twinblade has quite good damage output.

They lose durabiility fairly fast, but I've never had one run out inbetween bonfires when using the Bracing Knuckle Ring.

Not sure what you mean by poor range. They don't have especially good outwards range, but the hit pretty well horizontally, especially the 2handed r1s.

Also not sure by what you mean by being slow. They are pretty drat fast and have good combo-ing ability, making them good for PVP.

Here's a video of a guy using it in PVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwUwsXJi7O4

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Someone just got me this game and I've died at least five times just loving up my spatial awareness and rolling off a cliff

This is a fun game

Don't worry. That pretty much never stops.

On the subject of getting summoned as a blue, I was getting 2-3 summons a day. I noticed that a lot of the times when I'd be crushing blue orbs that it'd go from "Searching for guilty.." to "Apostle in distress". This probably happened more times than me getting summoned while not crushing orbs so there might be some kind of mechanic to that.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 4, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

argondamn posted:

Think we'd learn to stop doing that 3 games in, but nope!

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

argondamn posted:

I fell off of something last night in Things Betwixt while trying to drop off a bunch of smooths.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Wearing the cat ring 24/7 helps cut down on stupid falling deaths, although it still doesn't protect you from bottomless pits.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

When I die doing red orb invasions, trying to find my souls feels a lot like trying to find my car in a parking garage where I parked it a week ago.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not to draw up Effigychat again, but y'all just need to use Rings of Life Protection. Earliest one's in No Man's Wharf behind a breakable bookshelf, and then if you don't mind bumping INT/FAI to 8 each (admittedly, kind of an investment if you're a straight punchmans) there's another from Felkin. But even one is essentially a 3000soul-cost Human Effigy with infinite use. Just warp back to Leningrast every time it breaks and have him fix it up.

Hell, as a bonus, you don't need to do corpse runs cause it saves your souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

When I die doing red orb invasions, trying to find my souls feels a lot like trying to find my car in a parking garage where I parked it a week ago.

But it's where you invaded from (which ideally is right next to a bonfire)? Unless you get that one glitch that makes it disappear.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bogart posted:

Not to draw up Effigychat again, but y'all just need to use Rings of Life Protection. Earliest one's in No Man's Wharf behind a breakable bookshelf, and then if you don't mind bumping INT/FAI to 8 each (admittedly, kind of an investment if you're a straight punchmans) there's another from Felkin. But even one is essentially a 3000soul-cost Human Effigy with infinite use. Just warp back to Leningrast every time it breaks and have him fix it up.

I never use the Life Protection rings unless I'm on a bloodstain run; 3000 souls per death doesn't seem like a lot, but it really starts to damage your Soul Memory in the long run. By NG+ or ++, you'll have probably spent at least 2 levels worth of souls just on repairing your rings.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is a fun game

Welcome to our club!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Looks like third time is the charm for Ruin Sentinels. I actually tried summoning people for my second go at them now that I'm back in Lost Bastile. First summon, uh... well you know those respawning powder keg stacks right before the hall to the boss door? Looks like nobody told him the Royal Soldiers can set those off with their sword swings.

Second summon was right in front of the fog. He didn't even last through the first guy you get to fight all by himself on the platform you land on. Does taking an estus not heal phantoms anymore, or did he just rush in to die to fast for me to tell?

The intended plan of killing the first one solo where you land, then taking out a chunk of health (Managed about half of their health both goes with the unupgraded Craftsman hammer) on the first follow when his death aggros them before running away once the third hops up worked as planned. The first one actually fell OF the starting platform like an idiot my third try, but thankfully came up without the other two aggroging. It's pretty nasty if they manage to land one of their big smashes on you though. 20 Vigor, Full or nigh full health bar, still lose 3/4 your health in one shot (Dodge roll leaping smash at the last second from the one behind me!... get hit by second leaping smash from the one in front of me, DOH!).

The fight also gave me an appreciation for life gems over Estus to just top off health in boss battles, because you can keep moving a bit longer while pulling them out of your pocket, and the use time is less as well, compared to Estus.

I feel bad for those summons. Anyone doing worse at this than me of all people is just kind of sad to watch. I'm not competent so much as stubborn and paranoid. "Hey, a corner! Let's take advantage of the fact this game has third person camera oh look enemies/explosives/the collected works of Klingon Shakespear on tape by Gwyndolin". So watching these bright eyed go getters walk face first into murder without me being able to save them makes me sad :saddowns:

EDIT: This sums up my mindset when it comes to the first white soapstone I used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ycih6B6iqM
I am an ignorant caveman who can't work out how to paste in "start at X second" youtube links on this forum.

EDIT Two: Is there any should have been obvious indicator, for what black powder barrels are "Safe to roll through, so attacks will not blow them up" (see, above mentioned room full of boom), and which ones will blow up anyways even if you roll through them?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 4, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

Second summon was right in front of the fog. He didn't even last through the first guy you get to fight all by himself on the platform you land on. Does taking an estus not heal phantoms anymore, or did he just rush in to die to fast for me to tell?

As a host your estus doesn't heal phantoms anymore, but they can use their own estus instead. Worse for keeping bad phantoms alive, probably better for the ones that can handle themselves.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
Any eurogoons that play "regularly" feel free to add me on steam. Maybe we can get some 2v2 going or something. A bit bored of bridge battles and blue invasions. Steam id : Whix

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alabaster White posted:

By NG+ or ++, you'll have probably spent at least 2 levels worth of souls just on repairing your rings.
:qq: A whole two levels :qq:

Soul Memory isn't some sort of delicate balance you maintain; no matter what you do it keeps going up, so it will be "damaged" one way or another. Worrying about it is pointless unless you're losing bloodstains regularly, which is something you never ever need to be concerned about messing up on if you put on the ring. One bad lost bloodstain can easily be the equivalent of dozens of repair jobs. You also die less if you're always at 100% HP, so the rings will be repaired less than you might think if you're basing your death projections on hollowed experience.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

:qq: A whole two levels :qq:

Soul Memory isn't some sort of delicate balance you maintain; no matter what you do it keeps going up, so it will be "damaged" one way or another. Worrying about it is pointless unless you're losing bloodstains regularly, which is something you never ever need to be concerned about messing up on if you put on the ring. One bad lost bloodstain can easily be the equivalent of dozens of repair jobs. You also die less if you're always at 100% HP, so the rings will be repaired less than you might think if you're basing your death projections on hollowed experience.

Once you get to 12m SM, it actually DOES matter, because 12m is the last tier. Once you get there, you will be totally hosed since you'll be put up against other players anywhere up to 999m SM. Anyone who HAS been optimizing their soul spending will be inherently stronger than you, and there's nothing you can ever do about it. And of course, you'll need every level to fend off the endless steam of 99 stats invaders.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So, what's the deal with the Penal Mask? It gives a bonus to your max equip burden, but its weight is higher than the bonus... What's the point?

Bogart posted:

Wow, I didn't realize I could do that...

I had assumed that it worked like the DS1 ring in that you lost it forever when you used it, so I never wore it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So, what's the deal with the Penal Mask? It gives a bonus to your max equip burden, but its weight is higher than the bonus... What's the point?
I'm pretty sure it's a percentage multiplier on your total load, so once you raise that you should gain some.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Bogart posted:

But even one is essentially a 3000soul-cost Human Effigy with infinite use.
The white soapstones are infinite use effigies that give you souls, and also heal you and restore your spells/estus at the same time, and give you a bonus item. Life rings are definitely useful, but I find the soapstones a much better solution for maintaining humanity.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Twinblade stuff

Thanks but honestly just no, I stand by what I said. I am using the Dragonrider's Twinblade with CMW which makes its damage okay but I have to get right in people's faces to be able to hit them, plus once I've run out of CMW or even GMW it's pathetic. And I didn't say they where slow, I said they all have a slow start up, once they get going you can get like thousand hits in but for those first few moments you're a sitting duck.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Doing a champions run makes most people's complaints about things invalid. Like the ruin sentinels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

I never use the Life Protection rings unless I'm on a bloodstain run; 3000 souls per death doesn't seem like a lot, but it really starts to damage your Soul Memory in the long run. By NG+ or ++, you'll have probably spent at least 2 levels worth of souls just on repairing your rings.

Two levels is two stat points. It's essentially nothing. I doubt most people are trying to go for NG++ or higher either, and it doesn't stop you from finding coop partners at least.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you want to waste a ring slot on not loosing too much life, use the ring of binding. That means I don't have to loving teleport back to duff every freaking time I die.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

If you want to waste a ring slot on not loosing too much life, use the ring of binding. That means I don't have to loving teleport back to duff every freaking time I die.

You get 5 life/soul protection rings per playthrough. If you want to be cheap, only use the 3 life. Either way, it's not a 2 second teleport every time you die, but every 3rd or 5th time. Hell, by NG++, you'll have 9 of the cheap ones.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

Once you get to 12m SM, it actually DOES matter, because 12m is the last tier. Once you get there, you will be totally hosed since you'll be put up against other players anywhere up to 999m SM. Anyone who HAS been optimizing their soul spending will be inherently stronger than you, and there's nothing you can ever do about it. And of course, you'll need every level to fend off the endless steam of 99 stats invaders.

Actually, it only matters right up until the moment you reach 12m. Since there are no further tiers beyond that, any and all souls you collect are irrelevant, so you could just completely negate whatever souls you spent repairing rings by running the Giant Lord X number of times.

Also I'd say it probably doesn't matter before then anyway. Even if it does add up over time, it's still just not a lot of souls. The wasted ring slot is a bigger deal, and even then you can just swap it out when you feel like doing PvP (pretty much the only time it matters.)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I just parried a guy and still died. I'm imagining it has something to do with the fact that he was powerstancing but that was some stupid poo poo. He was on the floor and everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

argondamn posted:

I'm imagining it has something to do with the fact that he was powerstancing

Nope, the netcode really is that bad.

No matter how unbelievable it looks, the answer is always that the netcode really is that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You deserved it for parrying :colbert: