Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

E-Money posted:

I've had great luck with the Blackstar HT 1, and it's got good emulated output for headphones.

I would go as far as to say that the volume of the HT-1 through the speaker is decent (I measured mine maxing out at about 100db, comfortable 'good' tone is about 90db) but honestly the emulated out is FAR superior. I've got a Boss ME-80 that I'm playing with headphones and straight into my computer speakers and it blows away every amp I've tried so far for home use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Sockington posted:

Remember that old episode of the Simpsons where they tour the Duff Beer factory, and three types of beer were flowing out of the same pipe?

I feel that way about strings sometimes.

I feel that way about strat pickups all the time

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

TopherCStone posted:

I feel that way about strat pickups all the time

Tube Screamer Clones

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I just saw a Roland Cube 30x for $90 on Craigslist, and am wondering if I should grab it. Couple of things that worry me:

1) I don't really know poo poo about buying amps, up to this point I've just been using software on my laptop...so basically I have no idea what to even look for as far as if a used item is in some way hosed up
2) From following this thread and googling, Im thinking this is a good deal assuming the item is in good shape, but maybe not?
3) Its apparently being sold out of a pawn shop...since those guys can also google and aren't panic-selling, this alone makes me think it must be a bad deal in some way, shape or form

Should I buy this thing, goons?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kekekela posted:

I just saw a Roland Cube 30x for $90 on Craigslist, and am wondering if I should grab it. Couple of things that worry me:

1) I don't really know poo poo about buying amps, up to this point I've just been using software on my laptop...so basically I have no idea what to even look for as far as if a used item is in some way hosed up
2) From following this thread and googling, Im thinking this is a good deal assuming the item is in good shape, but maybe not?
3) Its apparently being sold out of a pawn shop...since those guys can also google and aren't panic-selling, this alone makes me think it must be a bad deal in some way, shape or form

Should I buy this thing, goons?

If you're going to pick it up in person, bring someone with you and check if the input jack and output jacks aren't hosed up and loose. Twist all the knobs, plug in things, unplug things, play through it. Just test out every function on it you can think of and if it all works then you're golden.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Is there anybody in the Northern NJ/Maybe NYC area that can help me with a pickup swap or recommend a tech? I always burn myself when I try to solder and the only remaining guitar store around here charges exorbitant rates that I just am not willing to pay.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TopherCStone posted:

Is there anybody in the Northern NJ/Maybe NYC area that can help me with a pickup swap or recommend a tech? I always burn myself when I try to solder and the only remaining guitar store around here charges exorbitant rates that I just am not willing to pay.
What kind of guitar?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

A Good Username posted:

It's a 60s era Japanese thing. They all came out of the same factory with a bunch of different brands on.
I think the last of that body shape I saw was a Canora, but they could be branded Guyatone, Teisco, Silvertone and a bunch of others.
If you can get parts cheaply enough it'll work as a beater, I guess it depends on what it ends up sounding like.

Thanks. Is there a site that sells parts for these?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

iostream.h posted:

What kind of guitar?

SG, replacing 2 humbuckers with 2 slightly different humbuckers.

Brony Car posted:

Thanks. Is there a site that sells parts for these?

Ebay will have some original parts, but it probably makes more sense to buy some decent new parts. If you measure carefully you can fit on a modern bridge, though I don't know if I'd go for a TOM if the neck isn't angled. Nuts are pretty much always something you have to fit to the individual guitar (could probably pay a local tech ~$50 to do it all for you). I have an old Teisco that I posted a few pages back that a previous owner fitted an acoustic bridge and a P90 to.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been playing for about two and half years and I'm starting to make music instead of struggling through exercises and etudes. But, I really can't decide what kind of music I want to make for myself and it's driving me a little insane. I have two diametrically opposed, seemingly irreconcilable desires:

One of them is to play like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVPF5Qi3H8

One of them is to play like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9Jtl9D6FQ

It is driving me quite mad - I can't pick up one guitar or amp without thinking it would be unsuitable for the other style of music, and I'm floundering in a middle-ground. I honestly have no idea what to do, this situation hasn't resolved itself in the last year or so.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'd say go metal but one example was ola englund with the Driest Guitar Tone in The World and the other is charlie christian

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kekekela posted:

I just saw a Roland Cube 30x for $90 on Craigslist, and am wondering if I should grab it.

As long as it works and there's no crackling or static sound when you turn the knobs or anything, it's an okay price.

Southern Heel posted:

It is driving me quite mad - I can't pick up one guitar or amp without thinking it would be unsuitable for the other style of music, and I'm floundering in a middle-ground. I honestly have no idea what to do, this situation hasn't resolved itself in the last year or so.

Do both, what's the problem? Also get into country while you're at it.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

comes along bort posted:

Do both, what's the problem? Also get into country while you're at it.

Well I can't afford two (three?) lots of quality gear, nor do I want that much in my 'studio' - and a guitar/amp ideal for retard-metal like a Jackson Dinky and an OR15 is not the same as one for being a stuck-up jazz cat, like a Godin 5th Avenue and a JC120.

muike posted:

i'd say go metal but one example was ola englund with the Driest Guitar Tone in The World and the other is charlie christian

Thematic examples, primarily - but one showing the real opposites.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Well I can't afford two (three?) lots of quality gear, nor do I want that much in my 'studio' - and a guitar/amp ideal for retard-metal like a Jackson Dinky and an OR15 is not the same as one for being a stuck-up jazz cat, like a Godin 5th Avenue and a JC120.

But you don't need all those things.:confused:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, that was profound (honestly). After some consideration, I think if you pare it down to the bone then surely all we all need is a diddley bow - I know what you're saying, but it's not entirely in line with real life experience. Sure, there are outliers but generally to get a nice thick sludgey metal sound one needs humbuckers, to get a "woody" jazz tone you need flats and a hollow body. To get overdriven wall-of-sound you need a high gain amp and for a jazz tone you need lots of clean headroom.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just play what you like dude, have fun with it. That's all that matters. Learn both. Do whatever. Except drop D tunings. But you'd be surprised at the jazzy clean tones you can get out of a neck pickup on a shred-guitar with the tone rolled halfway down. You can't really pigeonhole yourself that bad with respect to gear.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Well, that was profound (honestly). After some consideration, I think if you pare it down to the bone then surely all we all need is a diddley bow - I know what you're saying, but it's not entirely in line with real life experience. Sure, there are outliers but generally to get a nice thick sludgey metal sound one needs humbuckers, to get a "woody" jazz tone you need flats and a hollow body. To get overdriven wall-of-sound you need a high gain amp and for a jazz tone you need lots of clean headroom.

If you're not planning on gigging I would get something small but had immaculately clean headroom like a Fender Excelsior / Champ x2 ($350-$400) and then for metal I would say gently caress it and get something cheep like a Randall Diavlo RD1C if it has to be tube or the RG13 if you're fine with SS strait into the sound card ($250-300). That's like $600-700 max right there and should be good enough for both no matter what guitar you currently have. Also, don't be afraid to really change your pickups, single coil neck and humbuckler bridge should work just fine depending on which ones you get.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can't the roland JC120 get some really great metal tones if you load a bunch of pedals in front of it?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Southern Heel posted:

Stuff a shirt into a hollow-body guitar.

There you go, you're ready to rock.

Also there's nothing wrong with a little feedback.

EDIT: Or get a Blacktop Telecaster, that'll probably do it.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Gibson SG into Roland JC120 and you can get tone that's suitable for most any type of music you'd want to play.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I know I keep harping on about it, but the Music Man Silhouette Special is a guitar that could adequately do both of the things you want. It's got tons of warmth and twang in its two single coils, and then there's a mean Humbucker in the bridge position for everything else.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
the rad thing about music is that you don't HAVE to subscribe to the norm, play doom with a telecaster, it rules. put some single coils in a jackson and play some country, gently caress it.

you know there is nothing wrong with a unique tone

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Southern Heel posted:

I've been playing for about two and half years and I'm starting to make music instead of struggling through exercises and etudes. But, I really can't decide what kind of music I want to make for myself and it's driving me a little insane.

This is what Greg Anderson plays.

Doom on a Tele with both pickups running would probably be loving killer. The guy from Unsane plays a Tele and that's a pretty gnarly tone. So does the guy in Dead Meadow. Can't remember the name of the band but they were on the Rise Above label, stoner rock band, they were endorsed by Hofner and played Verythins.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 3, 2014

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

The heaviest, doomiest thing I've ever played was on my friend's Telecaster with the bridge pickup. Very few jazz players I've met use flats, and more than a few use Telecasters as well. The cleanest amp I've ever played through was a Fender Twin, and I got one hell of a great metal sound from it with a Dr. Boogie in front of it. Then, if I were so inclined I could have turned the pedal off, switched to the neck pickup, rolled down my tone a bit and gotten a great jazz tone.

As far as I see all you need is a guitar with at least 2 pickups, a good clean amp that gets loud enough for your needs, and one or two pedals to dial in your heavy tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"You can buy a good distortion pedal, but you can't buy a good clean pedal"

One of the cheesiest phrases I've ever heard but it's true.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TopherCStone posted:

As far as I see all you need is a guitar with at least 2 pickups, a good clean amp that gets loud enough for your needs, and one or two pedals to dial in your heavy tone.

Yeah, basically. Your clean tone is sort of the baseline, you can't really pedal that up, but you can take a nice clean amp and put some metal gizmos in front of it. Get two guitars if you need to, and if an actual high gain amp becomes a necessity, you can worry about that then

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Painting in very broad strokes, you're likely going to stick to your neck pickup for jazz and bridge for metal. So you could try selecting both with that in mind. Devin Townsend plays some pretty heavy stuff with a hollow or semi-hollow Framus, so I think you could probably get away with a chambered telecaster or Gibson/Epi 339 or whatever it is your budget allows. Ted Greene played gorgeous jazz on a solid-body tele. As for flats, they're typical of super old-school jazz but plenty of more modern and fusion players use rounds. A normal set with a wound G might be a good compromise. If you need to do stupidly low tunings for metal, a pitch-shifting pedal is a decent option. They track pretty loving well these days. Amp-wise, the aforementioned Eleven Rack will do pretty much anything you want. Or a pedal into a clean amp like the JC-120. Hughs and Kettner, Wampler, AMT, Tech 21, and of course Boss make plenty of options designed to make a clean amp sound like a mega-stack. A powerful EQ will also be a major help here; MXR ten-band or Empress Para-EQ are both extremely capable. Of course you could also just start with Amplitube or something like that if you don't need to gig right away.

I'm not saying there's one specific easy answer here that will solve all of your problems, but even on a fairly limited budget I think you can probably arrive at a setup that will be adequate if not ideal until you can afford to have an L-100 and an Ibanez Prestige and a JC-120 and a Splawn stack and whatever else it is you think you need to play both metal and jazz. The one thing I would be careful about is trying to get gear that's going to hold its value fairly well since you're probably going to want to trade up at various points as you get a better handle on what works for you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

The heaviest, doomiest thing I've ever played was on my friend's Telecaster with the bridge pickup. Very few jazz players I've met use flats, and more than a few use Telecasters as well. The cleanest amp I've ever played through was a Fender Twin, and I got one hell of a great metal sound from it with a Dr. Boogie in front of it. Then, if I were so inclined I could have turned the pedal off, switched to the neck pickup, rolled down my tone a bit and gotten a great jazz tone.

Tele with a Charlie Christian in the neck seems to be a popular setup with Jazz players.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm going to echo pick up whatever you like the most sentiment. Equipment is not the main deciding factor in what you play. Its going to be mainly your playing ability and play style that does that. Hell, I use the same equipment for jazz and punk/metal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

I play a jazz gig once a month with a knockoff SG and a mini rec. poo poo doesn't matter.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Some jazz guitarist named John McLaughlin used a Fender Mustang on an album called Bitches Brew. You might have heard of it. No it's not what Christian played but unless you're some insane purist like Wynton Marsalis (and you should not be!) you'd be fine with a solid-body too.

I do want to plug hollow-bodies a bit, though. You can play any style of music on a hollow-body, just like on a solid. The biggest thing that I wish I knew about hollow-bodies before I bought mine was that they have feedback issues, but that's something you can handle. I have an old Cephalic Carnage shirt that got ripped I stuff in there for it :v:.

I suggest getting a guitar that you'll want to pick up and play. Whether that's a gorgeous hollow-body, a classic Tele, or a neon-green BC Rich Warlock, do whatever the gently caress you feel like.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 3, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

It's possibly worth noting that the Les Paul, arguably THE quintessential rock/metal guitar, was designed by and for jazz players.

Get one with P90's and you really do have the best of both worlds.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Some jazz guitarist named John McLaughlin used a Fender Mustang on an album called Bitches Brew. You might have heard of it. No it's not what Christian played but unless you're some insane purist like Wynton Marsalis (and you should not be!) you'd be fine with a solid-body too.

I do want to plug hollow-bodies a bit, though. You can play any style of music on a hollow-body, just like on a solid. The biggest thing that I wish I knew about hollow-bodies before I bought mine was that they have feedback issues, but that's something you can handle. I have an old Cephalic Carnage shirt that got ripped I stuff in there for it :v:.

I suggest getting a guitar that you'll want to pick up and play. Whether that's a gorgeous hollow-body, a classic Tele, or a neon-green BC Rich Warlock, do whatever the gently caress you feel like.

I feel like I've been harping on the guy lately, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSH32VUJCk4

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You can play anything on any guitar, really, although you should try P90s for some early Sabbath tones

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Weird question: I built a muff fuzz/muff overdrive clone and it sounds really awesome, but I get more volume out of my neck pickup with it on. In every other circumstance this is my quietest pickup.

This is an impedance thing or something right? I'm loading down my pickups somehow?

I can read schematics but I don't really understand what does what. I used this schematic: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/mufffuzztransschem.gif

I didn't have a 50uf cap to put from the power source to ground so I put a 27 and a 12 in series, which was the closest I could get with what I had on hand. Would this be it? Or is this kind of thing normal for the muff fuzz circuit?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ok so this happened an hour ago. Almost new ID-15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZ5s9vaXFU

Sorry about the vertical video.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Aren't you the one that just bought that? Talk to Blackstar about it and you might be able to get a replacement from GC or wherever you bought it from if it busted for no apparent reason.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NTT posted:

Aren't you the one that just bought that? Talk to Blackstar about it and you might be able to get a replacement from GC or wherever you bought it from if it busted for no apparent reason.

Yeah, snagged it about a month ago from Sweetwater. I'm going to email them and link the vid.

I take it the thing is completely dead at this point?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

field balm posted:

Weird question: I built a muff fuzz/muff overdrive clone and it sounds really awesome, but I get more volume out of my neck pickup with it on. In every other circumstance this is my quietest pickup.

This is an impedance thing or something right? I'm loading down my pickups somehow?

I can read schematics but I don't really understand what does what. I used this schematic: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/mufffuzztransschem.gif

I didn't have a 50uf cap to put from the power source to ground so I put a 27 and a 12 in series, which was the closest I could get with what I had on hand. Would this be it? Or is this kind of thing normal for the muff fuzz circuit?

Is it an actual volume boost rather than a perceived one due to the huge amount of bass you get from a muff emphasising the bassy neck pickup?

I can't think of a wiring schematic you could put in a pedal that would change the load on the neck but not the bridge. Not an electronics expert but surely that would have to be happening in the guitar before it hit the volume/tone pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Is it an actual volume boost rather than a perceived one due to the huge amount of bass you get from a muff emphasising the bassy neck pickup?

I can't think of a wiring schematic you could put in a pedal that would change the load on the neck but not the bridge. Not an electronics expert but surely that would have to be happening in the guitar before it hit the volume/tone pots.

Yeah this was my other thought - most of the fuzz/gain is happening in the low end so I guess it could be the complete lack of bass in the bridge humbucker failing to drive it as well. It's way more noticeable then I've heard before in a pedal, including the big muff I have (store bought not hand built). I'll try putting in a smaller input cap to cut some bass and see if that evens it out a bit.

Totally usable either way, just seemed strange! Thanks for the suggestion.