Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Glasslip episode 1 was okay I guess. It never really seemed to get anything that seemed like a focal conflict going though. It was mostly just hens, and very P.A.Works.

I'm giving it a chance since I usually like P.A.Works stuff, but it's weak so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or7bEurygKo&t=48s
Trailer for the new Ghibli movie.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

nielsm posted:

Glasslip episode 1 was okay I guess. It never really seemed to get anything that seemed like a focal conflict going though. It was mostly just hens, and very P.A.Works.

I'm giving it a chance since I usually like P.A.Works stuff, but it's weak so far.

Yeah, that's my take. It's pretty and all, but I need more substance then it's shown so far. I'll give it one more episode.

(Also, having raised chickens as a child I'm totally unsympathetic to any attempts to portray them as cute animals.)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Argevollen is pleasant. Reminds me of 1979 Gundam thus far, which I've always described as solid if rough around the edges. Hopefully this goes for polishing those edges and not becoming what Sunrise has ended up doing with the franchise.

Tokyo Ghoul looks very promising though, I hadn't planned to watch it but I'm glad I did. High hopes for this one, maybe it'll do good where Another apparently flopped. (look i can't help be reminded of it, the dude has the same eyepatch)

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
uh... what? where's the shoehorned-in romance? is this really Ghibli?
I'm going to assume they're going really progressive and having two girls fall in love.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

cooldude2.0 posted:

I'm going to assume they're going really progressive and having two girls fall in love.

I hope I'm not the only one who didn't actually notice that the brown haired person was a girl. I had to go back and watch the trailer again after this post because I didn't notice that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ufotable's Majokko movie has been subbed. Its pretty fun.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

madmac posted:

Yeah, that's my take. It's pretty and all, but I need more substance then it's shown so far. I'll give it one more episode.

(Also, having raised chickens as a child I'm totally unsympathetic to any attempts to portray them as cute animals.)

Having experienced chickens, they're loving evil and secretly want to kill you, so 0/10 for realism. Show is really pretty though.

Tokyo Ghoul was a bit too gory for me so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep watching it. Argevollen looks like it has potential though, and I do like the real robot feel it has.

cooldude2.0 posted:

That is an adaptation of a children's book, When Marnie Was There. There isn't any romance in the book.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

SC Bracer posted:

Having experienced chickens, they're loving evil and secretly want to kill you, so 0/10 for realism. Show is really pretty though.

It's pretty, as are most of P.A. Works's shows, but I was disappointed with how many still shots there were. A lot of them weren't even pans. I'm not expecting much from Glasslip based on the first episode, but I'll be following it for the time being.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Argevollen, uh, could be good, there's interesting premise but so much about the tropes irk me.
Annoying/cute female characters that tease the lead. Lead being all :downs: on his "Must save the civilians" bullshit. Moustache-twirling evil generals (and liberators). Also, is there no air force in this setting/world? Maginot line wouldn't have really worked back in WWII even without Nazi Germany bypassing it through Belgium. (partially). Airborne troops etc. would've sabotaged it.

On the other hand the mobile command center was a little bare and functional "in a good way." Little touches here and there that makes it look like the studio/authors know their poo poo but hit the tropes regardless. Ugh, I guess it's impossible to hope for "a real military -like" mecha apart from MS 8th Team (and Patlabor to a degree).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dessel posted:

Also, is there no air force in this setting/world? Maginot line wouldn't have really worked back in WWII even without Nazi Germany bypassing it through Belgium. (partially). Airborne troops etc. would've sabotaged it.
There also seems to be a lack of a navy, because there's rather a lot of coastline that you could land a force on.

Seemed decent otherwise. The female pilot has the craziest hair since Shiki, though.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bringing up Grisaia no Kajitsu again, although it's anime version might have been pushed back towards fall, it was announced today that the game is getting an official english release. Reportedly it's going to be an all-ages version, too, so QCS can't get discussion of it closed like they did the main VN thread.

Joshlemagne posted:

It's not really a train wreck it's just really poorly written. The main character is established to have magic powers that are then completely forgotten for pretty much the entire rest of the show. Characters inexplicably reverse their personalities in order to try and add some artificial drama to the plot. And the whole thing ends with a deus ex machina. And since people were confused the last time I said that I'll clarify that when I say it ends with a deus ex machina I mean a literal god shows up out of nowhere to resolve the plot because the writers had apparently written themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out any other way to resolve things.

My recommendation would be to not waste your time.

See, I'd watched the first couple episodes and it looked like a terrible K-ON ripoff with airsoft instead of guitars. That sounds like a way more hilarious trainwreck of a plot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SC Bracer posted:

Tokyo Ghoul was a bit too gory for me so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep watching it.
Then I should let you know that it's already heavily censored from the manga (although you probably figured that out from the copious amounts of partially blacked-out shots), and it only gets gorier from here.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 4, 2014

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rail Wars is... a thing, the thread title for which needs to be "Rail Wars: We don't have time for pantyshots, we have TRAINS". I'm really torn. On one hand, this is a dumb fanservice show, on the other hand, I will watch this because I am somewhat of a rail nerd.

Argvollen is really neat though. Definitely more atmospheric than action-y which I can appreciate.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Rail Wars is... a thing, the thread title for which needs to be "Rail Wars: We don't have time for pantyshots, we have TRAINS". I'm really torn. On one hand, this is a dumb fanservice show, on the other hand, I will watch this because I am somewhat of a rail nerd.

Like...tasteful under-carriage shots, a bit of side-caboose, that kind of thing?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

madmac posted:

Like...tasteful under-carriage shots, a bit of side-caboose, that kind of thing?

That too, but also with a lot of ye olde anime fanservice as well.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
There was a Rail Wars promo poster where the girls were tied to each other like rail cars in bikinis.

Yes, they were literally comparing women with objects.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
See: Dumb fanservice show. They tend to do that.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 4, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Monkey Man posted:

There was a Rail Wars promo poster where the girls were tied to each other like rail cars in bikinis.

What, like with couplers? :confused:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

StandardVC10 posted:

I didn't think that train terminology could sound this innapropriate...

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Just watched Tokyo Ghoul, and I gotta say I'm really digging it. The first half was kinda eh for a bit, so I ended up taking a considerable break partway through (due to the fanservice triggering flashbacks to this past spring) but the second half was really, really great. Probably the first new anime I've seen since Jojo's where I've finished the first episode and thought "wow that was really good".

Definitely wouldn't recommend to you if you get bugged by gore though, cuz it's shaping up to be a doozy on that front.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OWLS! posted:

I didn't think that train terminology could sound this innapropriate...

Will you turn the switch and couple to my Bo'Bo'? My bogie jas just been greased.
Raise your pantograph, I'll blow the whistle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KillerQueen posted:

Just watched Tokyo Ghoul, and I gotta say I'm really digging it. The first half was kinda eh for a bit, so I ended up taking a considerable break partway through (due to the fanservice triggering flashbacks to this past spring) but the second half was really, really great. Probably the first new anime I've seen since Jojo's where I've finished the first episode and thought "wow that was really good".

Definitely wouldn't recommend to you if you get bugged by gore though, cuz it's shaping up to be a doozy on that front.

And sweet Jesus, do not watch it anywhere near mealtime.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Tokyo Ghoul was great. Excellent animation in the first episode, and some really good direction and colour composition. I even liked the first half as Hanakana implanted into Senjougahara chewed up the loving scenery.

Glasslip seems to have the same character dynamics as Nagi no Asukara, but without anywhere as much artistry or bite to the characters. Reminds me to rewatch it, since the BDs came out.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 4, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

What a shocking turn of events for an idol anime to sell well.

Translated to money, around how much should be that?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Around 100 shamedollars.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Assuming that the open boxes are what's stacked to the side, and that they did hold 50 each, that's 600 CDs. At $30 (the safe estimate I've seen thrown around for CDs in Japan) that makes $18,000

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

StandardVC10 posted:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Monkey Man posted:

I honestly expected something worse on how you described it. That's just anime fanservice

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

:eyepop:

slap my vaccination record and call me autistic, picked up

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Money can't buy you love.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

No Choo-Choo Motion, no sale.

On another note, I will never understand Anime scheduling. Load up everything on Thursday but Friday is a black hole besides Jojo. Some decent stuff over the weekend and then crappy fanservice shows seem to be always earmarked for Monday to Wednesday purgatory.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Dehry posted:

Assuming that the open boxes are what's stacked to the side, and that they did hold 50 each, that's 600 CDs. At $30 (the safe estimate I've seen thrown around for CDs in Japan) that makes $18,000

They're actually a single that retailed for 1000 yen each. so more like $6000.
btw im the weirdo who went looking up the cost of a akb48 cd when that image was first posted to figure out how much someone wasted.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

madmac posted:

No Choo-Choo Motion, no sale.

On another note, I will never understand Anime scheduling. Load up everything on Thursday but Friday is a black hole besides Jojo. Some decent stuff over the weekend and then crappy fanservice shows seem to be always earmarked for Monday to Wednesday purgatory.

There's 3 more Friday shows that start next week. Also, two of the Thursday shows (P4GA & Kuroshitsuji) don't air in Tokyo until Friday, so they're really Friday shows.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Today I learned that different bikinis have different names and what those names are in Japanese. Thank you, Internet Anime forum.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
No, you didn't. You learned that there is a specific word for when the strap of a bag / camera / whatever goes through a woman's cleavage. Thanks, Internet.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

madmac posted:

This is a common misconception in the international fandom. Series air on different channels in different locations on different days as well as through satelight providers. On Thursday, we have Fuji TV's noitaminA block that air throughout Japan on Fuji's affiliate channels, TBS's block (only airing in Tokyo on Thursdays), and MBS's block (only airing in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara areas on Thursdays). The latter two blocks will air in other markets on future days, but internationally they're all on the same day because we don't care about TV stations here. Additionally, previous season shows will be broadcast due to cheaper timeslots or promoting disc releases in different timeslots. Check Tokyo MX's lineup this season to see how many repeats are going on that you won't hear about.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Turin Turambar posted:

600 copies x 1000 yen, so about $6000. But since that single contains an election vote they're probably a reseller, they sell off the vote codes to Chinese fans, then sell the bonus pictures, and get to keep hundreds of handshake tickets for themselves at little cost. The CDs themselves are basically worthless and get thrown out.

Of course there have been crazy fans who claimed to have spent millions of yen on votes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If anyone was ever in doubt, that Locodol anime is really bad. Poorly executed cliches and terribly mediocre characters. First episode was a slog. Don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sailor Moon and Aldnoah tomorrow? Saturday is a good day.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 4, 2014

• Locked thread