Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm not sure what to do or how urgent to be about it. My first inclination is to wait it out and see how it turns out tomorrow, and possibly visit the local vet on Friday (they're open then, that's been checked already) or Saturday if the eye doesn't seem to be recovering quickly.
My cat had that a couple of weeks ao - cleared up in a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

Our cat's an indoor-outdoor cat, and this afternoon when she came in I noticed that her brow above her right eye appeared swollen. It gave her a look sort of like

and while I'm concerned about it, the cat appears to not be in that much pain. She's not pissed off at everyone or hyper-cranky or anything like that, but she does seem to want to be left alone moreso than usual. Her right eye appears a little watery- clear watery, not milky- and when the area was daubed with a bit of moistened cotton to clear it, a minute amount of brownish phlegm-like stuff came off onto the cotton. There's no blood or visible scratches on her skin around the eye, and the eye itself appears to be alright from what of it I can see.

I'm not sure what to do or how urgent to be about it. My first inclination is to wait it out and see how it turns out tomorrow, and possibly visit the local vet on Friday (they're open then, that's been checked already) or Saturday if the eye doesn't seem to be recovering quickly.
When my cat had the same issue I found out it was just a sty. So I placed a warm cloth over it for a while and it cleared up pretty quick.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My cat has a big gross scab on its side. It doesent seem to be in discomfort though so I cant tell if its just a scrape or its been in a fight or something. Should I take it to the vet?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

When my cat had the same issue I found out it was just a sty. So I placed a warm cloth over it for a while and it cleared up pretty quick.

Then a follow-up question: How do I get a cat to hold still enough to effectively put a warm cloth over her eye? She can't stand being held for more than a few seconds even in normal circumstances, much less with a swollen area around her eye and a human trying to shove a washcloth in her face.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

Then a follow-up question: How do I get a cat to hold still enough to effectively put a warm cloth over her eye? She can't stand being held for more than a few seconds even in normal circumstances, much less with a swollen area around her eye and a human trying to shove a washcloth in her face.
Cat burrito or maybe large binder clip on scruff? After that, there's just tips on how to hold a cat in general.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My cat is a terror to drive with (constant meowing/rolling in carrier) and the vet-prescribed Valium didn't do poo poo to help. Does anyone know the correct Benadryl dose for cats, or failing that, is my vet likely to disapprove if I call and ask? My home vet is across the state, and the one I used here in an emergency was kinda lovely, so it would be a phone call and not a visit. I might need to drive with her in a few weeks so I was thinking I would do a test dose of the Benadryl before then to see how she reacts.

If this is a bad idea please tell me, but I'm under the impression that Benadryl is relatively safe for animals.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Boris has been home since Monday, though I've been out of the apartment and in the next city over most of that time for a family vacation, returning home every other day to top off food and water, and scoop the litter boxes. Andie, the original cat, is spending most of her time on top of the cabinets or as far away from the closed door between the front room and the back room as possible. Boris is shrieking every time I show up, and he's pooped on one of my carpets. He also bit my sister when we showed up the first time to check on him on Tuesday, and I'm all worried that maybe he's rabid after all and she's going to die a terrible death (since apparently it takes up to a month for rabies immunity to be conferred by the vaccine, and he was vaccinated on June 6th). Or that he's just a horrible jerk who will never settle in and I'll have to take him back.

I want to be a good cat owner and love him, but I feel like he's making it pretty hard. :(

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Pinball posted:

Boris has been home since Monday, though I've been out of the apartment and in the next city over most of that time for a family vacation, returning home every other day to top off food and water, and scoop the litter boxes. Andie, the original cat, is spending most of her time on top of the cabinets or as far away from the closed door between the front room and the back room as possible. Boris is shrieking every time I show up, and he's pooped on one of my carpets. He also bit my sister when we showed up the first time to check on him on Tuesday, and I'm all worried that maybe he's rabid after all and she's going to die a terrible death (since apparently it takes up to a month for rabies immunity to be conferred by the vaccine, and he was vaccinated on June 6th). Or that he's just a horrible jerk who will never settle in and I'll have to take him back.

I want to be a good cat owner and love him, but I feel like he's making it pretty hard. :(

My thoughts on this are unpopular but I have a fair amount of cat rescue experience. Not all cats are good cats. Like humans, there are the good, the bad and the ugly. The cat population so exceeds the homes available that our one Pound operation in Las Vegas will euthanize 10,000 cats this year. Quite a few of those cats are marvelous, friendly, loving companions who are sufficiently cognizant to appreciate getting a good home. Even though I no longer work at the pound, I still facilitate the rescues as best I can.

I will not waste my time and resources on a bad cat. I'd rather save a good cat. This is my website (and my opinion) http://www.manysplendidcats.com/Choosing_perfect_cats_Las_V.php . Most heartbreaking are the ones who were excellent companions and their owner died without making provision for their pets. These cats deserve a home and since we can't save all of them, w might as well save the worthwhile ones.

I didn't make this post to be controversial. I'm suggesting that nobody should feel guilty about returning a misbehaving cat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

Place a binder clip on the scruff of his neck to make him go limp, then swaddle him like a baby.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pinball posted:

Wait, are you saying you brought him home after he'd previously had what seemed like a pretty unpleasant experience at your place and then just left him completely alone shut up in a small space for days on end with barely any contact with another living creature? I mean, maybe he is just not a good cat but it doesn't sound like you're giving him much of a chance to be one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, are you saying you brought him home after he'd previously had what seemed like a pretty unpleasant experience at your place and then just left him completely alone shut up in a small space for days on end with barely any contact with another living creature? I mean, maybe he is just not a good cat but it doesn't sound like you're giving him much of a chance to be one.
To be fair, that's kinda normal procedure for introducing a cat to a new place: keep them in a separate room with places to hide so they can acclimate to the new smells and sounds. It'd be better to visit once a day at least, but I don't really see enough information from that post to have a good idea of what's going on there really.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

duckfarts posted:

To be fair, that's kinda normal procedure for introducing a cat to a new place: keep them in a separate room with places to hide so they can acclimate to the new smells and sounds. It'd be better to visit once a day at least, but I don't really see enough information from that post to have a good idea of what's going on there really.

Right, but that advice is usually accompanied with "spend quiet time in the room with the cat so it gets used to you" and also only really applies to shy cats who only want to hide for a while when introduced to a new place. This is a cat that's been brought to a new place, put in a really stressful situation, carted off to quarantine for what, two weeks? And then brought back to the new place and left alone and possibly with nothing to do for days. I mean I'm not saying he would be the perfect pet if that hadn't happened, maybe he just is a total dickhead cat and nothing will change that. I'm just saying it doesn't really sound like a situation likely to bring out the best in any cat.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Right, but that advice is usually accompanied with "spend quiet time in the room with the cat so it gets used to you" and also only really applies to shy cats who only want to hide for a while when introduced to a new place. This is a cat that's been brought to a new place, put in a really stressful situation, carted off to quarantine for what, two weeks? And then brought back to the new place and left alone and possibly with nothing to do for days. I mean I'm not saying he would be the perfect pet if that hadn't happened, maybe he just is a total dickhead cat and nothing will change that. I'm just saying it doesn't really sound like a situation likely to bring out the best in any cat.

The timing has been really unfortunate on this one. If we hadn't had the whole first brouhaha, he would've been living with me for nearly two weeks in a pretty calm environment before I went on vacation (which my folks planned, not me), but because he had to go in quarantine for ten days, I had to pick him up the day I left, drop him off, and drive back and forth. The shelter wasn't willing to keep him any extra time. Today I'm going home and staying there, so we'll see how he reacts. Hopefully with less biting and pooping on the carpet.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We just got two kittens (3 and 4 months old respectively) from the Atlanta Humane Society. I'm worried about them though. They've been eating very little (a few bites of wet food, not touching dry food) and one has been vomiting/pissing on the bathroom floor. They use the litter box and they know how to, but one of them just keeps making messes on the floor. I know they know how to use the litter box because I've seen them do it. One of them just goes on the floor anyway. We have a vet's appointment on Monday but is there anything in the meantime we can do? We've already tried three types of wet food and they haven't liked any of them.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Boris spotted Andie through the gap in the door and when I opened it enough for me to go into the bedroom, got between my legs and went for her like a shot. They got into a drag out fight that I separated with a broom, and Andie went on top of the fridge and stayed there. They're back in separate rooms and I'm at my wits end. If I can't get them to tolerate each other, I'll have to give him back. The shelter said he was calm and submissive with other cats, and they seem to have lied on both counts.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Pinball posted:

Boris spotted Andie through the gap in the door and when I opened it enough for me to go into the bedroom, got between my legs and went for her like a shot. They got into a drag out fight that I separated with a broom, and Andie went on top of the fridge and stayed there. They're back in separate rooms and I'm at my wits end. If I can't get them to tolerate each other, I'll have to give him back. The shelter said he was calm and submissive with other cats, and they seem to have lied on both counts.

Believe it or not, they probably didn't. The way cats behave in a shelter environment and the way they behave in a home can be completely different. It's also possible that your cat is socially idiotic and hates him.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pinball posted:

Uh, how is he supposed to be calm and submissive when your cat is attacking him? He's scared of your cat, he's scared of you, he barely knows you, is home alone all day with the other cat probably trying to get to him, and I think maybe you just shouldn't get another cat.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Araenna posted:

Uh, how is he supposed to be calm and submissive when your cat is attacking him? He's scared of your cat, he's scared of you, he barely knows you, is home alone all day with the other cat probably trying to get to him, and I think maybe you just shouldn't get another cat.

He attacked her both times. She puffed up and growled and he went for her. I'm not so sure he's scared of me, considering I can't sit or lie anywhere in the back room without him sticking his rear end or his face in my face while purring like a motorboat.

Now that my vacation is over, I'll be home a lot more. The timing just wound up bad because he had to go into quarantine. My plan was for me to have a lot more time with him before I left, but he spent ten days at Animal Control instead of at home.

As for getting another cat, the whole reason I did so was to keep Andie company and give her some stimulation. I'm in class four hours a day and work thirty to forty hours a week, and worried that she was lonely and bored. I leave my apartment blinds open, but they only look at a walkway, not anything interesting.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Where did he say his cat attacked Boris? From everything he has said, his cat stays up high and is scared shitless during the day, and Boris spotted her while he was trying to get into his own room and charged her.

I realize this is a pet forum and everyone wants to believe all animals are great, but this cat doesn't sound very nice or friendly.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

Where did he say his cat attacked Boris? From everything he has said, his cat stays up high and is scared shitless during the day, and Boris spotted her while he was trying to get into his own room and charged her.

I realize this is a pet forum and everyone wants to believe all animals are great, but this cat doesn't sound very nice or friendly.

Boris has been the aggressor every time. He went after her again and clawed her nose and left tufts of her fur everywhere.

He's very nice to me, and I want to give him a fair shake, but I feel like the only thing I'm doing is terrorizing Andie, who's nine years old and maybe doesn't want company or more stimulation anyway.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My bad, misread that for some reason. Yeah, I'd say it's still probably less lying, and more him acting different in an unfamiliar place. Most shelters I know won't give a cat to a home that they know they will just get it back from, but I guess they could be full of it. Either way, I think at this point, you're probably better off not doing the whole cat thing. Whether Boris is just an rear end or not, I doubt Andie is too into this whole thing at this point.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Pinball posted:

Boris has been the aggressor every time. He went after her again and clawed her nose and left tufts of her fur everywhere.

He's very nice to me, and I want to give him a fair shake, but I feel like the only thing I'm doing is terrorizing Andie, who's nine years old and maybe doesn't want company or more stimulation anyway.

Is it that hard for you to lock up Andie when you go to Boris? I don't see how the exact same situation can happen three times now without you doing something about it.

If I were you I would literally not let them see each other for a month, and then start with the standard introduction techniques (exchanging towels with their scents, keeping one physically separated, etc.). Between keeping him in a closet, the quarantine, and the lack of contact Boris has basically been set up for failure, so you need to take things slowly and let them reintroduce themselves.

Edit: going back to your earlier posts, it sounds like you aren't really used to having indoor cats and are making a fair number of rookie mistakes. Andie has only been living with you for six weeks, and you upended her safe closet to give it to Boris. To top it off you introduced the two on the first day, when most guides would say to wait a week at the very least. Whatever you decide to do with Boris, you would probably benefit from reading up on basic cat socialization and training, for both for your sake and for Andie's.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 5, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I caught my neighbor once firing BBs at my cat, when I confronted him about it he said he was "Just playing" I don't really care what you feed your cat, when you get your shots or any of that. At least not really, (I used to cook my cat his meals,) but you really shouldn't let him outside because the people outside are sadists. I'm not talking about dumb luck or anything like that, I'm just saying you are guaranteed to have one unbelievable rear end in a top hat living with in a 2 block radius no matter who or where you live. And that guy hates cats.

There are always risks. Hell, I'm sure there is a cannibal living secretely just two blocks from you and you can't do anything about it. Just reduce the risks, let your local vet implant a chip just in case and stop worrying. Also it's handy if you know how to desinfect wounds, plus always keep your vaccinations ready, don't forget your bimonthly anti-worm pill and so on. At least, this is my recommendation for letting your cats outdoors.

Besides, not every cat can be held indoors: My cat was a stray for a significant portion of her life and I'm pretty sure she would euthanize me in my sleep if I don't let her into the huge garden behind my apartment.

Of course, this is maybe an unfair comparison. This cat of mine is a paranoid beast to everything she doesn't know and stays away from streets as if satan himself is waiting there. She is also very able to defend her territory and even gets somewhat along with the neighbour's dog. On the other hand, I've known cats who were simply not able to cope with the outside world. Letting cats like those out would be needlessly cruel.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 5, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pinball posted:

In considering this from afar, it seems as though Boris is very attached to you, and is having territorial/jealousy/ownership issues with Andie. He sees her as the intruder and is defending himself (and you, perhaps) from her.

It might help to interact with Andie within sight and sound of Boris for a while, so that he can see the relationship there, as well. Also, set up a barrier (like a kid gate or screen door) where the two can see and smell each other without actually contacting.

Look at things from Boris' perspective. He's got one friend in the world (you), and that's about all he is sure of at the moment.

All this is easy for me to say, of course, because I'm not there. If it's really beyond what you can cope with, take him back. A few weeks spent working with both of your cats could pay off big in the end, though.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I have a quick question. I have two feral cats I've adopted (as kittens, thanks for the advice there PI) almost a year ago, given all their shots and made healthy and happy living in home. The one thing I don't get is that if I leave too much kibble out for them to eat, one of them tends to over eat and puke leaving a mess in the hall/living room. Most of the time you can see the whole chunks of undigested food as if they are gorging themselves until they puke. They have never had to stuggle with getting food under my care, but the previous place they lived in with a barn full of other cats had a limited supply of food.

Now I feed them raw meat every other day with kibble in between (one of the better brands going by the indgredients bought from the pet store chicken soup for the cat lovers soul). I don't like having to control their access to the kibble, but I don't understand why they eat to the point of puking when they are clearly not starving. Any advice? Do they over eat because of my :420:, It's not like I blow it at them or anything though.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Some cats just over eat. It's just something they can't help doing. One thing you can do is get your cat a treat ball. You can fill it with food, kind of like a hamster ball, but there are small holes on the side that are adjustable for the size of kibble. The cat will roll it around and eat the kibbles it drops one or two at a time. This will prevent overeating and give them a little exercise and mental stimulation while they have their meal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, we have a cat that was also a stray (found as a kitten in a mall parking lot - apparently had hidden in a car then hopped out). She was starving and food has been an issue for her her entire life.

This seems to be fairly common in strays, from what I've seen. A switch gets set in their brains as kittens, and all their lives they overeat til they puke whenever food is freely available. They will also tend to get very fat for the same reason.

Portion control and limiting food availability is the only way I know of to cope with it. They don't seem to grow out of it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've managed to slow down my gorging cat's eating by feeding him out of a muffin tray rather than a plate or bowl.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Araenna posted:

My bad, misread that for some reason. Yeah, I'd say it's still probably less lying, and more him acting different in an unfamiliar place. Most shelters I know won't give a cat to a home that they know they will just get it back from, but I guess they could be full of it. Either way, I think at this point, you're probably better off not doing the whole cat thing. Whether Boris is just an rear end or not, I doubt Andie is too into this whole thing at this point.

She very much isn't. She tends to stare at the door and hiss all the time now or spend her time on top of the cabinets. But Boris is ridiculously sweet (he butts his head into my feet or my hands and then flops over in ecstasy at being petted) and if I can make it work, I want to.

in_cahoots posted:

Is it that hard for you to lock up Andie when you go to Boris? I don't see how the exact same situation can happen three times now without you doing something about it.

If I were you I would literally not let them see each other for a month, and then start with the standard introduction techniques (exchanging towels with their scents, keeping one physically separated, etc.). Between keeping him in a closet, the quarantine, and the lack of contact Boris has basically been set up for failure, so you need to take things slowly and let them reintroduce themselves.

Edit: going back to your earlier posts, it sounds like you aren't really used to having indoor cats and are making a fair number of rookie mistakes. Andie has only been living with you for six weeks, and you upended her safe closet to give it to Boris. To top it off you introduced the two on the first day, when most guides would say to wait a week at the very least. Whatever you decide to do with Boris, you would probably benefit from reading up on basic cat socialization and training, for both for your sake and for Andie's.

It's a bit difficult, yeah. There's only one door between the front room where Andie is and the back room where Boris is, and Boris hangs out right in front of it and tries to dart through whenever I go from one room to the other. I've bought cat treats that I toss through to distract him from going from one room to the other, so hopefully that will work.

Is my lack of cat experience that obvious? I'm very much a dog person, but with my schedule being so erratic, I don't feel it'd be fair to have a dog. Andie's been with my family for years, but she's only been mine for about two months, and an indoor cat for the same amount of time.

Deteriorata posted:

In considering this from afar, it seems as though Boris is very attached to you, and is having territorial/jealousy/ownership issues with Andie. He sees her as the intruder and is defending himself (and you, perhaps) from her.

It might help to interact with Andie within sight and sound of Boris for a while, so that he can see the relationship there, as well. Also, set up a barrier (like a kid gate or screen door) where the two can see and smell each other without actually contacting.

Look at things from Boris' perspective. He's got one friend in the world (you), and that's about all he is sure of at the moment.

All this is easy for me to say, of course, because I'm not there. If it's really beyond what you can cope with, take him back. A few weeks spent working with both of your cats could pay off big in the end, though.

I'm not sure if he won't just leap over a kid gate, but I can try it. I really want this to work out, but I don't want Andie to spend the rest of her life tormented by Boris.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone, it's just hard to see a way to fix this when Boris goes right for Andie like a heat-seeking missile powered by hate every time he catches sight of her. I just wanted to do a good deed by adopting an older cat to be a friend for Andie, and everything, even the cats, seems to be conspiring against me.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to look into a treat ball, I'm sure it would do the both of them some good. I just didn't understand why they want to eat till they puke.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there a reason you can't give Andie back to your folks? Also, if she's been an indoor/outdoor cat for years she's probably stressed at not having a bunch of space now?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Angrymog posted:

Is there a reason you can't give Andie back to your folks? Also, if she's been an indoor/outdoor cat for years she's probably stressed at not having a bunch of space now?

They gave me to her because they were tired of her; she was always horrid to them. Tore up their furniture, bit them without provocation, all that. I took her, and she's changed a lot. She still bites, but in general she's pretty sweet. I think the reason she was so pissy for all those years with them was that she hated living with dogs. She's adjusted pretty well to living indoors and has only tried to escape once.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

GotDonuts posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to look into a treat ball, I'm sure it would do the both of them some good. I just didn't understand why they want to eat till they puke.

My male cat does the same thing and my mom bought him this weird food receptacle that has little tubes of different heights in a plastic base. The cat has to reach into each tube and fish out a couple kibbles at a time. It takes him like 20-30 minutes to finish eating a meal now so he can't make himself puke from stuffing his fat face. I can't remember the name of the device, but it's probably easy to google.

It was great when my girl cat moved in with me because she's one of the rare cats who can free feed without overeating. Since she doesn't live with the aforementioned fatboy anymore I can leave out kibble for her.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I have experience with two very sweet loving cats who couldn't live together. When I was born, my parents saved a little abandoned dumpster kitten. He was the sweetest orange tabby and was named Cheddar. When I was about 8 my parents decided to get Cheddar a friend. My parents found a 15 year old cat who had lived with an elderly woman but when the woman went into assisted living, the cat couldn't follow. Mom fell in love. Her name was Cleo.

My parents slowly introduced them over the course of about 2 weeks. They were curious at first but then Cheddar decided she was a plaything. Something to be chased. More like a squirrel than an equal playmate. Cleo did not appreciate it his social ineptitude. He stalked her relentlessly and Cleo did not feel safe from him.

Some days there would be peace where Cheddar didn't feel like chasing. Cleo still avoided him, but would tolerate him from a distance. After a few months she became un-littertrained because Cheddar would sometimes corner her in the box. Fortunately we never had rolling, fur-flying, full out scraps. Cheddar would corner Cleo, she'd hiss and growl, and he would back off after she gave him a few rapid-fire smacks in the face. They were both amazingly sweet affectionate cats towards us.

My parents kept her for almost 2 years hoping they'd "Work it out" But Cheddar never let up, and Cleo never liked him. My parents ended up giving Cleo to a rescue that helps older cats get adopted. Mom and I cried. We loved her so much at that point.

All of this is to say sometimes cats just can't live together. And there's not really much that can be done about it. It's a sad situation but it happens. It's not always the cats' fault. It's not always the owner's fault. Though in my case I blame my parents for getting a cat for our already 8 year old unsocialized cat. And Cheddar for being a social idiot.

Pinball, definitely try the techniques others have suggested. They could adjust and start to be buddies if done right. But if it doesn't work out, you have to be prepared to accept that you may have to rehome one of them. And possibly specify to the adopter that it should be a one-cat house.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's not right to Andie to be having her stressed to hell either and she was your original cat. She doesn't seem very fond of Boris especially since he constantly attacks her, I would take him back at this point.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

This little fella was dropped off behind my shed yesterday. She's eating (only out of hands, not out of bowls), drinking and pissing so seems to be functional but is there anything that I'm missing. Don't know how old she is and if I'm honest I don't really know what I'm doing but here's a photo dump!

Turns out she was a he, and he turned out great :3: Greets me when I come home, overly affectionate, plays like a dog. Great cat.

He's got me thinking of getting a second cat. Does it make a difference if its a kitten or an older cat? He wouldn't have any issues keeping up with a kitten.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hummingbirds posted:

My male cat does the same thing and my mom bought him this weird food receptacle that has little tubes of different heights in a plastic base. The cat has to reach into each tube and fish out a couple kibbles at a time. It takes him like 20-30 minutes to finish eating a meal now so he can't make himself puke from stuffing his fat face. I can't remember the name of the device, but it's probably easy to google.

It was great when my girl cat moved in with me because she's one of the rare cats who can free feed without overeating. Since she doesn't live with the aforementioned fatboy anymore I can leave out kibble for her.

Reading all these posts about formerly stray cats and puking problems due to overeating makes me feel a bit guilty now. I just made sure my own de-feralized cat got its food in regular intervals (one bowl in the morning, one in the evening) and over the course of the first year living with me she just sort of adjusted on her own and stopped overeating.

Maybe my strict dietary regimen and splitting her daily food apart as much as I do just makes overeating impossible? Or I just have a weird cat.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Turns out she was a he, and he turned out great :3: Greets me when I come home, overly affectionate, plays like a dog. Great cat.

He's got me thinking of getting a second cat. Does it make a difference if its a kitten or an older cat? He wouldn't have any issues keeping up with a kitten.

The way the shelter explained it to me, in general you want to look for a second cat that is younger, smaller, and the opposite sex from your current cat to make the intro and friendship as easy and likely as possible. With that advice, they directed me toward the perfect companion for my Ozma. Ask the shelter for a likely match: hopefully they'll have good suggestions based on the description of your cat.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

Pinball posted:

I really appreciate the advice from everyone, it's just hard to see a way to fix this when Boris goes right for Andie like a heat-seeking missile powered by hate every time he catches sight of her. I just wanted to do a good deed by adopting an older cat to be a friend for Andie, and everything, even the cats, seems to be conspiring against me.
I've always introduced cats by starting with whatever contact they'll tolerate - even if it's just sniffing a blanket that smells like the other one - and shoveling treats in their mouths, preferably a kind of treat they really like but don't get any other time. Of course, I came to this thread with a different cat-intro-related issue, so YMMV.

My question is: what's a good way to get cats to share a litterbox? In the past I've used a crude but effective method - be extra good at cleaning the one I want them to use, be extra bad at cleaning the other one, and usually they're only too happy to switch. This time the cat who likes the litterbox I want to phase out is being stubborn. The furballs in question are both neutered males around 5 years old.

The background is: I lost a cat to cancer a few months ago, and the remaining kitty and I were both lonely, so about a month ago I brought home a new buddy from the shelter. They were easy to introduce and get along great, but the new cat won't use the old cat's nice big box in the closet and continues to stink up the bathroom instead. I know it's often recommended to have at least one box per cat, but the old cat used to share just fine. The cat that passed away was much more territorial than either of these guys, so if she could share, they should be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I realize that in the wild cats get most of their water from prey, but is there any evidence that suggests they won't actively seek out water if they don't get enough from food?