Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Fun fact: one of the antidotes to propylene glycol poisoning is getting drunk as gently caress. The same method of metabolization is used for both the glycol and alcohol, and slowing down the glycol's metabolization allows the byproducts to not build up to toxic levels.

Speaking of alcohol, withdrawal can actually kill you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens
My father works as a nurse and he was once stationed on a remote island when someone went through delirium tremens, since he lacked any medication he frantically started knocking on doors asking if someone had some booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia

Or Phantom Smells, Olfactory Hallucinations

While not necessarily scary on it's own.. It is unnerving as I've been having these myself for the last 3-4 months. Specifically the smell of ammonia. This will happen randomly either 1 to several times a day. It can be a faint whiff of ammonia or as sever as if I'm being chloroformed with the stuff on a rag. I've ruled out the obvious such as litter box, or my own body emitting the smell based on various things I've read and confirmed with others that it's not me.

So I went to the doc, who referred me to MRI and neurologist etc. Everything normal so far but they've seen this type of thing before in people who deal with migraines like myself. So it could be a temporary thing that goes away, or could be a sign of further neurological weirdness in the future. Which is the unnerving part to me.

This is totally boring I know.. but I wanted to at least bring something to the table.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JD-Smith posted:

While not necessarily scary on it's own.. It is unnerving as I've been having these myself for the last 3-4 months. Specifically the smell of ammonia. This will happen randomly either 1 to several times a day. It can be a faint whiff of ammonia or as sever as if I'm being chloroformed with the stuff on a rag. I've ruled out the obvious such as litter box, or my own body emitting the smell based on various things I've read and confirmed with others that it's not me.

So I went to the doc, who referred me to MRI and neurologist etc. Everything normal so far but they've seen this type of thing before in people who deal with migraines like myself. So it could be a temporary thing that goes away, or could be a sign of further neurological weirdness in the future. Which is the unnerving part to me.

This is totally boring I know.. but I wanted to at least bring something to the table.

I knew someone who had this. She smelled burning and was scared it might be a brain tumor. She also had really bad migraines.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Dregs posted:

More please! You cant just leave that there and walk out.

It's not much of a story, but here goes.
Around the time my brother turned 19 he started to develop paranoid Schitzophrenia. He began to hear voices and believed that various appliances in our house were sentient robots with sinister plans to kill him. He thought the fridge was a cloning vat that had killed our mother and replaced her with a series of clones who were putting mind control poison in all his food. He also thought I was a nanobite robot colony that had taken the form of his brother. Pretty much any family member was either a clone, holographic projection, synthetic humana(ala Bishop in Aliens) or a colony of robots. No one was actually a real person, and he would go into great detail about how he knew what we really were. Most medicines he believed were mind control devices that would hide behind his tongue and spit out. One day he became violent and smashed the tv and microwave,screaming about how they kept telling him to kill our replacements, so he had to be committed. He lived in a group home for a few years which really seemed to help him out. He's doing really well now,takes all of his meds, has a steady job, lives pretty independently. I remember my dad saying one of his doctors thought me may have had Capgras Syndrome but as far as I know he was never clinically diagnosed.

http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/rhoades-robert-ben.html

Meet Robert Roades, a serial killer who had a moblie torture palace in his semi truck trailer.

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jul 4, 2014

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Jack Gladney posted:

I knew someone who had this. She smelled burning and was scared it might be a brain tumor. She also had really bad migraines.

yeah that seems to be the norm. I guess people like us just have a lot of mis-wired brain connections or something. I guess the smell could be something worse.. like sauerkraut or cabbage. At least ammonia is clean :shrug:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
As long as we're talking about smells, I've got some personal experience with anosmia or the loss of the sense of smell. I was cleaning out a sink with bleach and got a huge whiff of it, and then poof! For three days I couldn't smell anything. Think about your day. Your house smells a certain way, you maybe sniff a shirt to see if it's clean, enjoy a cup of coffee, go outside and smell the wet grass, get in your car which has its own scent, and get to the office with its own aromas of carpet cleaner and dry-erase pens. And when you go home, it's all in reverse. Now imagine experiencing none of that, and all of your food tastes like paste. It's kind of like when you break your non-dominant arm, you don't realize how much of a pain in the rear end it is to do things like button your shirt or work a zipper. And anosmia can be deadly since you can't smell a gas leak or smoke or tell if food is rotten.

Fortunately it was just temporary for me, but people that have the permanent version have major problems with depression, and there's not really established technology or even low-tech things like braille or sign language to help out those afflicted.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

benito posted:

As long as we're talking about smells, I've got some personal experience with anosmia or the loss of the sense of smell. I was cleaning out a sink with bleach and got a huge whiff of it, and then poof! For three days I couldn't smell anything. Think about your day. Your house smells a certain way, you maybe sniff a shirt to see if it's clean, enjoy a cup of coffee, go outside and smell the wet grass, get in your car which has its own scent, and get to the office with its own aromas of carpet cleaner and dry-erase pens. And when you go home, it's all in reverse. Now imagine experiencing none of that, and all of your food tastes like paste. It's kind of like when you break your non-dominant arm, you don't realize how much of a pain in the rear end it is to do things like button your shirt or work a zipper. And anosmia can be deadly since you can't smell a gas leak or smoke or tell if food is rotten.

Fortunately it was just temporary for me, but people that have the permanent version have major problems with depression, and there's not really established technology or even low-tech things like braille or sign language to help out those afflicted.

At some point in O Chem we were working with mustard gas (for some reason or another) and I ducked my face into the fume hood for a second (...for some reason or another) and for weeks after I couldn't smell anything and had the sensation of drowning constantly. It was...unpleasant. Made sleeping difficult as gently caress, nothing quite like constant "I'm drowning" nightmares.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
a brilliant decision making algorithm!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of alcohol, withdrawal can actually kill you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens
My father works as a nurse and he was once stationed on a remote island when someone went through delirium tremens, since he lacked any medication he frantically started knocking on doors asking if someone had some booze.

Oh yes. We get those from time to time at my hospital. One guy that we brought in after a passerby found him flopping around in a snowbank because he was so drunk that he was unable to walk had a BAC of .62. Dude was still talking to me in the back of my ambulance and feisty enough to take a swing at me when I tried to grab his wallet to get an ID. From what I heard later they spent four days drying him out in intensive care where he was treated for frostbite and pretty severe vitamin deficiency. He was easily and by far the most hard-core alcoholic that I've ever met.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

(for some reason or another)

That sounds like a really lovely reason to voluntarily expose yourself to loving mustard gas. Like, if I were your instructor, I think I'd flunk you for that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

That sounds like a really lovely reason to voluntarily expose yourself to loving mustard gas. Like, if I were your instructor, I think I'd flunk you for that.

The class was introductory exposure to mustard gas and this intrepid guy just Dead Posters Societied it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Your Gay Uncle posted:

http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/rhoades-robert-ben.html

Meet Robert Roades, a serial killer who had a moblie torture palace in his semi truck trailer.
http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/rhoades-robert-ben.htm

Your link was a 404

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

At some point in O Chem we were working with mustard gas (for some reason or another) and I ducked my face into the fume hood for a second (...for some reason or another) and for weeks after I couldn't smell anything and had the sensation of drowning constantly. It was...unpleasant. Made sleeping difficult as gently caress, nothing quite like constant "I'm drowning" nightmares.

I really, really doubt this.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oh yes. We get those from time to time at my hospital. One guy that we brought in after a passerby found him flopping around in a snowbank because he was so drunk that he was unable to walk had a BAC of .62. Dude was still talking to me in the back of my ambulance and feisty enough to take a swing at me when I tried to grab his wallet to get an ID. From what I heard later they spent four days drying him out in intensive care where he was treated for frostbite and pretty severe vitamin deficiency. He was easily and by far the most hard-core alcoholic that I've ever met.

That's a cool story. I had more content to post but my ipad is lovely and has refreshed the page on my typed post 3 loving times now.

...But his "vitamin deficiency was probably "wet brain", where you lack vitamin B1 a.k.a thiamin, and it gives you like lesions, or holes in your brain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernicke%96Korsakoff_syndrome. Everyone remember to get their alcoholism treated before their disease progresses to the point that 100% of your calories come from lovely vodka.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
Now, I'm not sure how well known this event is/was (because I think it was overshadowed by the 2007 Tech shootings), but I distinctly remember hearing about it on the radio the day after it happened and it made me feel so nauseous that I considered going back home and calling out sick to work.

In a nutshell, a former Virginia Tech graduate student decapitated a classmate because she rejected his romantic advances--this was done as they were having coffee at a campus eatery. There were about seven witnesses. One cafe worker testified that he and other horrified onlookers watched as the former student cut off the girls head with a knife. The former student had kept at it until his victim eventually fell and he had succeeded in severing her head. He was holding it when police arrived.

Just let that sink in for a while. Imagine you are at a coffee house when you see a dude cutting off some chicks head with a knife.

What would you do if you were in some public place, watching someone cutting off somebody's head with a knife? Intervene? Stand in shock? 'Cuz I honestly don't even know what I would do myself anymore :(

Virginia Tech Student Decapitated With Kitchen Knife by Attacker She Knew

IAmNotYourRealDad has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jul 4, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I like to think that I, or somebody else, would intervene but in reality I'd probably be just as much in shock as everyone else.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

ninjahedgehog posted:

Got you covered.

Donald Crowhurst and the Teignmouth Electron were discussed briefly in the last thread, which is where I first heard of him, and I've been fascinated by his story ever since.

Basically, in the 60s, a British newspaper sponsored a solo nonstop circumnavigation sailing race, and this guy signed up with next to no sailing experience, mortgaging his house to finance it and basically putting his entire livelihood on the line. It quickly became clear that he wasn't going to make it, so instead of heading home, he hung around in the South Atlantic alone for a few months, doing celestial navigation backwards in order to falsify his journey. The stress, combined with the oppressive loneliness, eventually caused him to go cuckoo bananapants insane and kill himself.

The other contestants in the race are no less fascinating, and there's a documentary on Netlfix called Deep Water that goes into the race far better than I ever could. I can't recommend it enough.

The documentary is good. There is also a book called The Strange Last Voyage Of Donald Crowhurst that is great, if you find the case interesting and would like more info. While the book is more detailed, it doesn't really show what a heel Crowhurst's agent/press man was like the documentary did. But it is more detailed in other ways. I recommend them both. The contrast between Crowhurst and the other contestants is stark as can be.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Jack Gladney posted:

A friend of mine had this same combination and it was diagnosed as a form of epilepsy. They told him he wasn't allowed to drive or anything in case it developed into fullblown seizures, but this was a few years back and the symptoms haven't escalated yet.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

JD-Smith posted:

Weird smells can be a type of seizure. They can also be an aura, or precursor warning, to seizures. Migraines often have auras, which has led to some theories that they are different expressions of some neurological issue.

I've been dealing with seizures for most of my adult life. The only aura that I sometimes get is that food tastes off, but this is by no means certain. My seizure alerter dog, though, is right over 90% of the time.

Someone mentioned the loss of smell. There are service dogs for that. I met a chihuahua who checked everything for his partner so she knew it was safe.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was in jail (yeah, not proud of it...) with a guy that had been downing at least a gallon of vodka daily for years. His hands got so swollen that he couldn't even hold his food trays. This was after he'd spent a good week in the med unit. I also thought he was at least twenty years older than me. Nope. Two years my junior. I was 31 at the time. He was also the go-to guy for methadone if you had an extra Cup-O-Noodles, I guess. So anyway, I'll say that I treat the following knowledge that he shared with me as an anecdote, but I'm inclined to believe it:

The only addicts that the correctional system is legally required to send for medical treatment are alcoholics, and barbiturate abusers. They can both literally die from withdrawal. Both can have DT's, and acute barbiturate withdrawal can cause massive seizures. Everyone else can pretty much get hosed depending on funding and/or other circumstances. Even opiate withdrawal can't kill you unless you aspirate your vomit, I guess?

Jail is hosed up just for the fact that you can watch a dude smoke crack using a pencil, toilet paper, and an electrical outlet :drugnerd:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

benito posted:

Anosmia loving sucks. I fell down a flight of stairs a few months ago and severed my olfactory nerve. I thought that a fractured skull and gnarly blood clots on the brain would be the worst of it, but nope. No smell or taste for me. On top of that, there's a constant taste of burnt plastic/peanut skin/the chemicals in juicy fruit gum. For a guy who used to enjoy decent food and booze, it's a right loving pain.

I keep dreaming abouit being able to smell. This might be a forever thing :argh:

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Slanderer posted:

I really, really doubt this.

Nitrogen mustard is used as a chemotherapy agent.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_mustard

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Nurse Fanny posted:

Nitrogen mustard is used as a chemotherapy agent.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_mustard

That doesnt address the rest of the most likely bullshit in that comment.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yep, alcohol withdrawal can kill. I thought that was general knowledge?

Nobody who's an alcoholic should try going cold turkey on their own and needs to check into a detox unit instead.

Since we're talking about Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome, Oliver Sacks has very interesting case studies The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. Both had severe anterograde and retrograde amnesia.

They're both incredibly sad stories, but at least one of the men was more or less coping despite thinking he's in his 20s and it's the 1940s, while the other resorted to wild confabulations and seemed completely out of touch.

I think organic brain conditions scare me a lot more than mental illness. Mental illness can be treated to some extent. Organic brain conditions, once they've done their job, are mostly irreversible. :(

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Talking of books, my old boss (who was a student of Oliver Sacks) wrote a good book about a rather complicated neurological case, "Pride and a Daily Marathon". The subject is a man who has lost all sense of proprioception below the neck. Simply put, his body doesn't tell him where each part of it (arms, legs, etc) actually are, and he has to look to actually know. Here's a bit of a documentary about him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNX_3OPVQTs

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Rapman the Cook posted:

Oh yeah I agree, I just posted that since it's pretty unnerving that a chemical weapon is also used as a medication.
The Feds probably want to have a few words with that dude or he's huffing Dijon under a chemical hood.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rapman the Cook posted:

No, I'm just wrong about the substance - it was chloramine, not sulfur mustard. I was wrong in attribution of substance common name to chemical (it's not my field of expertise and it's been a decade). Chloramine has laboratory use.

And yes, I probably should have failed - I probably should have not been in college at all at that point, I was really sick (kidney stones, ulcers, severe insomnia). The lab was split into two rooms and the professor was probably not around or he would have told me to go back to my dorm and get some sleep. It was a bad semester overall. :smith:

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
I'm not sure this post was worth resurrecting the thread but I didn't like to see it die and have nothing better to contribute yet.

On the subject of loss of smell, I totally lost my sense of smell (and the majority of my sense of taste) when I was around 6ish years old. Despite this, I get migraines and asthma attacks (though not so much anymore) that were heralded by phantom smells. They used to confuse the hell out of me at first because I was so unused to smelling things that I couldn't figure out exactly what the sensation I was experiencing was, but then the funny vision or laboured breathing would start and I'd figure it out retroactively.

And that other goon was right, though I'm used to it after almost 25 years, living with no sense of smell makes life difficult in little ways. I always got my mum or now my husband to tell me if I was wearing too much or too little perfume; to smell clothes on the floor for me to tell if they were clean or dirty; to smell meat and other foods that I thought might be off (have eaten bad meat that otherwise appeared fine a few times because of this). My house sprung a gas leak once that I had no idea about until my mum came to visit and informed me the house reeked of gas and I had better get the hell out and call my energy company. That was a bit alarming.

Now I have kids and have to be even more cautious with things like food, as well as do visual checks of their nappies and stuff like that because I can't smell when they need changing. Lots of people have told me that if you had to lose a sense, smell would probably be the easiest one to lose, and I agree, but that doesn't mean it isn't without its little challenges.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
How did you lose your sense of smell, if you don't mind me asking?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Bottle rocket up the nose.

Junius
May 14, 2006

^^^ that's a way better story, let's go with that!

Noose Induce posted:

How did you lose your sense of smell, if you don't mind me asking?

No one's ever been able to give me a definitive answer. I've had a lot of "nose problems" of various description (respiratory, allergy, excess tissue, etc) so I've always assumed it was something to do with that, but I'm not sure what exactly. I've had a lot of operations and courses of treatment to treat these problems and have been told a lot of times that "this should fully/partly restore your sense of smell!" but it's never worked out that way, which is always a disappointment.

I associate the loss with an operation I had at 6/7 to remove my tonsils and adenoids but I don't know if the two events are actually related or it's just the most memorable milestone of my life at that time I can gauge the timeline by.

ETA: I've thought of doing an A/T thread about it at times, but that's pretty much the whole story of it, everything else I could tell would just be weird anecdotes of being unable to smell :v:

Junius has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Jul 14, 2014

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, my dad lost his sense of smell in his 20s after one too many surgeries to fix his frequently broken nose (big hockey and football player). Apparently he can only sometimes smell incredibly strong things now, like if a skunk sprayed directly under an open window. Luckily he doesn't have to deal with preparing food in the house, so that's one risk off the table, but I never considered a gas or other chemical leak before. It's never been something he's had problems with, but now that I think about it, that's actually pretty scary.

The saddest part is that we live down the street from a cookie factory, so at least once a day the neighbourhood smells amazing, and he lived in this same area back when he had the sense of smell so he remembers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Junius posted:

ETA: I've thought of doing an A/T thread about it at times, but that's pretty much the whole story of it, everything else I could tell would just be weird anecdotes of being unable to smell :v:

Yeah there really isn't a lot to say about not smelling things. I've been almost totally anosmic my whole life and people ask what it's like and all I can really say is "I can't smell most things." It affects flavor too and makes my taste in food kind of odd sometimes. I eat by texture more than flavor and even the things I can taste aren't good or bad just "yup, this food has a taste I can identify." I've never blown myself up or had issues with gas or chemicals and sometimes it comes in handy to sit there and smile as everybody else complains about a disgusting odor.

I don't really know life any other way but people ask like "how is it different?" Beats me, I just can't smell things.

Granted it's also led to some awkward moments when I have a date/friend over and they are all like "what's that smell?" and I'm like "I have no idea, I can't smell things."

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
If you can't smell, shouldn't you have a methane detector in your house or something? Or just not use natural gas?

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
I've always found something unnerving and fascinating about lost expeditions. This article talks about Douglas Mawson's expedition to Antarctica. Mawson was the only survivor, and his account of trying to make it to base camp alone and sick with an illness that was literally causing his skin to fall off is just a harrowing read.

The comments on that article lead me to S. A. Andrée's Arctic Balloon Expedition of 1897. There's a photo of their crashed balloon in the article, and that photo was taken knowing that their only chance of survival was currently deflating on the ice.

Junius
May 14, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah there really isn't a lot to say about not smelling things. I've been almost totally anosmic my whole life and people ask what it's like and all I can really say is "I can't smell most things." It affects flavor too and makes my taste in food kind of odd sometimes. I eat by texture more than flavor and even the things I can taste aren't good or bad just "yup, this food has a taste I can identify." I've never blown myself up or had issues with gas or chemicals and sometimes it comes in handy to sit there and smile as everybody else complains about a disgusting odor.

I don't really know life any other way but people ask like "how is it different?" Beats me, I just can't smell things.

Granted it's also led to some awkward moments when I have a date/friend over and they are all like "what's that smell?" and I'm like "I have no idea, I can't smell things."

All of this is familiar to me :) where I live there's a paper mill nearby, so often our town smells quite bad and it's one of the few upsides to having no sense of smell to sit around completely oblivious whilst my husband or family gag and complain about the smell. And I'm often asked what life is like without a sense of smell but I can't really answer, it's pretty much all I know. I can't remember any smells, all I remember from when I could is that I liked the smell of cut grass and could smell when rain was coming, but not what those smells actually were.

It's also led to some weird looks as, while I can't smell, if a scent is strong enough I can kind of "taste" it, so it's normal to me to say something like, "Oh man, that disinfectant tastes amazing." (true story, the hand wash we used at my old workplace had a weirdly sweet "taste" that I loved, but apparently it actually smelled terribly of chemicals). While my family is used to me, other people will look at me like, "Why are you drinking disinfectant?"

Slanderer posted:

If you can't smell, shouldn't you have a methane detector in your house or something? Or just not use natural gas?

When I was growing up, my family's house was all electricity, so I was completely unused to having anything gas powered. Since I moved out, I've always lived with other people, so a gas leak was never an issue that crossed my mind until it actually happened while my husband was out of the country for a week or so, leaving me on my own. If the leak had occurred any other time he (or a housemate or whatever) would have picked up on it straight away. Just another thing I need to be aware of now.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Izzy posted:

I've always found something unnerving and fascinating about lost expeditions. This article talks about Douglas Mawson's expedition to Antarctica. Mawson was the only survivor, and his account of trying to make it to base camp alone and sick with an illness that was literally causing his skin to fall off is just a harrowing read.

The comments on that article lead me to S. A. Andrée's Arctic Balloon Expedition of 1897. There's a photo of their crashed balloon in the article, and that photo was taken knowing that their only chance of survival was currently deflating on the ice.

Speaking of lost expeditions, this one always fascinated me as a child Lasseters Reef

This and a love for the Great Outdoors, and a general dislike of people, are probably why I'm in the mining game. GOLD man.

Automatic Retard has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Automatic Retard posted:

Speaking of lost expeditions, this one always fascinated me as a child Lasseters Reef

This and a love for the Great Outdoors, and a general dislike of people, are probably why I'm in the mining game. GOLD man.
drat, this is pretty moving, I'd never heard of this before.
Even though Lasseter was clearly just a tricky charlatan conman guy, this part was pretty sad:

quote:

A search for Lasseter was conducted by a bushman, Bob Buck. In March 1931 Buck found Lasseter's emaciated body at Winter's Glen and his personal effects in a cave at Hull's Creek. From Lasseter's diary it was learned that after Johns had left, Lasseter's camels bolted, leaving him alone in the desert without any means of sustaining himself or returning. He encountered a group of nomadic Aborigines, who rendered assistance with food and shelter; but a weakened and blinded Lasseter eventually died of malnutrition and exhaustion, having made a belated attempt to walk from the cave to Ayers Rock or the Olgas.
Poor crazy fellow. :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Junius posted:

When I was growing up, my family's house was all electricity, so I was completely unused to having anything gas powered. Since I moved out, I've always lived with other people, so a gas leak was never an issue that crossed my mind until it actually happened while my husband was out of the country for a week or so, leaving me on my own. If the leak had occurred any other time he (or a housemate or whatever) would have picked up on it straight away. Just another thing I need to be aware of now.

Seriously, it's not something to just be mindful of, put something like one of these in your kitchen and anywhere you have gas appliances like a water heater or furnace.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/109107...0599990&veh=sem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Yeah for real, I was at my buddie's place like a year and a half ago (live there now) and we just thought the smell was coming from the garbage or something until someone who knew what gas smelled like came over. Turns out someone moved the old-rear end Montgomery-Ward stove to get behind it and broke the line. The guys that lived there at the time had slept in the house with the gas leak going the night before (one of their rooms which I now live in is directly behind the stove with the door right next to it) and people were smoking weed and cigarettes in the room right next to the kitchen. Sketchy as hell looking back on it. Gas leaks are serious business.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jul 16, 2014