Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kafka Esq. posted:

One to show and one to go, we used to call it.

People put money into kitchens that they don't use other than to show off? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Professor Shark posted:

People put money into kitchens that they don't use other than to show off? :psyduck:

The most vancouver thing ever.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually thought those secondary kitchens were supposed to be servant kitchens, as I had only noticed them in slightly larger places on the West-side. Vancouver builders thinking that if people like a really nice kitchen, that they will really like a second kitchen, is also a good reason though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Assuming this isn't some elaborate forum joke, and that houses in Vancouver do actually have multiple kitchens, I could see that being pretty useful if you were renting each individual bedroom out so that only 3 people in a house have to share a kitchen instead of 6.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Why would you think it's a joke? I have personally sold "pantry kitchens" to multi-generational houses (mostly Sikh and Cantonese in the GTA), and it's absolutely very common to have a kitchen attached to a common room where you may not want to have mess if you're bringing people over for food. Put convenience and appearance together with big amounts of money and second kitchens are obvious solutions.

Yeah, they're known as servant kitchens because maids will cook in them, but frequently they are used to keep the "designer" kitchen looking spotless.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

Assuming this isn't some elaborate forum joke, and that houses in Vancouver do actually have multiple kitchens, I could see that being pretty useful if you were renting each individual bedroom out so that only 3 people in a house have to share a kitchen instead of 6.

It's no joke, though it is likely more of a couple of odd ducks than some new neo-culinary trend here. That said, the idea that those 5 million dollar, double granite kitchen, west side houses are being built as rooming houses is an entertaining idea. (Quite a few of them already are, and have been for decades.)

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Have you noticed that a lot of houses in vancouver now have 2 kitchens? The wolf range doesn't get used.

Not touching the racism card, but most secondary kitchen's I've done have been for asian family's. It's where they do most of the frying ect. We call them spice kitchens.

In the past 3, they were closed off with their own, seperate ventilation system. Usually the gas Wolfe goes in there.

Multiple diswashers, on the other hand, favor no skin color.

Reggie Died fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 2, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Reggie Died posted:

Not touching the racism card, but most secondary kitchen's I've done have been for asian family's. It's where they do most of the frying ect. We call them spice kitchens.

That's actually not such a bad idea.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reggie Died posted:

In the past 3, they were closed off with their own, seperate ventilation system. Usually the gas Wolfe goes in there.

More orthodox jewish families might also have them, there are certain religious observances that can be interpreted as needing a separate preparation space.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kafka Esq. posted:

Why would you think it's a joke? I have personally sold "pantry kitchens" to multi-generational houses (mostly Sikh and Cantonese in the GTA), and it's absolutely very common to have a kitchen attached to a common room where you may not want to have mess if you're bringing people over for food. Put convenience and appearance together with big amounts of money and second kitchens are obvious solutions.

Yeah, they're known as servant kitchens because maids will cook in them, but frequently they are used to keep the "designer" kitchen looking spotless.

A lot of old school Europeans do this as well - it's for exactly the same thing. My wife's Mom has a second kitchen where she can do poo poo while all the men sit up in the real kitchen drinking homemade wine and stuff. These are people that don't go in to debt for loving anything, and the kitchens are functional, not fancy, but it isn't that strange.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I sent the article that touched off this conversation to my old boss in the appliance industry. He invested 560,000 in an upgrade to their showroom. That's confidence, right there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kafka Esq. posted:

I sent the article that touched off this conversation to my old boss in the appliance industry. He invested 560,000 in an upgrade to their showroom. That's confidence, right there.

Is your business doing better this year than last?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Is your business doing better this year than last?
Well, that's a long story that starts in 2009 when the recession made credit tight, and multinationals got antsy with the kind of old-school buddy buddy relationships that kept businesses like that one afloat. They tightened up credit terms and slashed the sweetheart deal they had on floor models. As a result, when I went back to help them do website stuff, they had to contract the business, close down the high end kitchen section and lean out. However, they also opened a parts counter which leveraged their long standing in the community as a service company. Making a killing on parts softened the blow, allowing them to hire on more people.

Now is probably the best time to lock in an expansion at low interest, and start looking like a luxury dealer. They've already started sending me messages about coming back to run the new e-store. My conversation with my boss shows he fully expects a crash within five years, but it's a good investment to protect the future of the company. To be honest, I agree. They're old school, and the parts and service business is booming. A crash will only tighten the belt, but it won't stop people from needing new fridges that break in five years.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Reggie Died posted:

I used to work at a best buy tech room that had one specific south asian family that seemed to love 3 things: their dozen computers, tobacco, and curry. We pretty much always had one in for repair, and the curry tar was thick. I can see how this would be a good idea.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

senae posted:

I used to work at a best buy tech room that had one specific south asian family that seemed to love 3 things: their dozen computers, tobacco, and curry. We pretty much always had one in for repair, and the curry tar was thick. I can see how this would be a good idea.
You mean the spice toasting infused the dust inside the computer or something? What the hell is curry tar?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

You mean the spice toasting infused the dust inside the computer or something? What the hell is curry tar?

The tobacco smoke, dust, and curry made an extremely disgusting tar. I don't know how, exactly but it was a few mm thick on the inside of the computer, moist, and smelled like cigarettes and curry spice. Took years before I would even consider trying curry after that.

So I'm saying I can see the appeal.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Who the gently caress designed this?

A prism with some other prisms randomly sticking out of it? It looks like a retarded toddler's Lego project.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is what I meant when I said that "architects" today are zero talent structural engineers and nothing more. :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's a Chinese American guy who's credited with the loving glass poo poo that proliferates vancouver but his name escapes me at the moment.

E: this motherfucker
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.753191

James k. M. Cheng

gently caress this guy

E: skyscraper forums are loving tools but this thread is great

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/archive/index.php/t-171670.html

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 4, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had drinks with Mr. Cheng and know the dudes who run that skyscraper fan page. They also run a victoria-specific realestate and development forum, vibrantvictoria.ca which is actually a pretty good place for victoria news but it skews pretty heavy libertarian and never-ending-bubble. They're also quite in bed with local developers and REALTORS.

I also don't mind Vancouver condo architecture from a purely looks base because I guess I'm tasteless (or find a sterile sort of mirror's-edge like dystopia interesting), but I've just grown to hate it for the financial and social issues its come to represent. Also it's a poo poo way to build in terms of upkeep and energy efficiency and Toronto is loving insane to copy it in their climate.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 4, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/JeannieLee88/status/484851420458266627

quote:

Homeowner on a reno TV show: "We need more acceptance of how life is." Where would economy & credit industry be with that insane attitude?

What the gently caress do you mean where would it be? We're already loving there Jeannie loving Lee.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeannieLee88/status/484851420458266627

What the gently caress do you mean where would it be? We're already loving there Jeannie loving Lee.

I don't get what she means.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The only thing I see when I see that is: "Christ on a crutch, it must be hot." You can't vent an air conditioner out, nor ever catch a breeze. I suppose it you like sweating your ballsack off all the time, such an apartment might be appealing, but otherwise I can't understand it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

The only thing I see when I see that is: "Christ on a crutch, it must be hot." You can't vent an air conditioner out, nor ever catch a breeze. I suppose it you like sweating your ballsack off all the time, such an apartment might be appealing, but otherwise I can't understand it.

Those structures generally have central air.

...did I get whooshed?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

...did I get whooshed?

hahaha no they don't

e: not in vancouver

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brannock posted:

...did I get whooshed?

gently caress knows my building doesn't. Good lord is it sweaty in here...

The building I lived in when I lived in Montreal did have central air, mind you, but it was still wholly insufficient and I had to run my own air conditioner on top of it anyway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What the gently caress.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I work in one of those glass office towers by the VAG and as soon as the air con gets turned off in the building at 5:30, it starts to turn into an oven. I've left a chocolate bar overnight and come back to find it a lake the next morning. Fruit ripens and explodes in the same timeframe.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Isn't climate control super-important for large buildings in order to avoid a lot of wear and tear?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Isn't climate control super-important for large buildings in order to avoid a lot of wear and tear?

Bro, you're aware of the leaky condo crisis pt. 1 and pt 2. going on in Vancouver right?

This is all the more hilarious with the new 6 story limit for wooden condos.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

on the left posted:

I like to call problems like that, "other people's problems." Apparently I should have been an architect, or condo developer.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

I work in one of those glass office towers by the VAG and as soon as the air con gets turned off in the building at 5:30, it starts to turn into an oven. I've left a chocolate bar overnight and come back to find it a lake the next morning. Fruit ripens and explodes in the same timeframe.

Holy hell - imagine the stress of those heat cycles.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rime posted:

You think it'd be more energy efficient to keep it running rather then having the HVAC system work at max capacity for 2 to 3 hours a day having to pull all the heat out for the morning workers.

I dont understand businesses.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Whiteycar posted:

You think it'd be more energy efficient to keep it running rather then having the HVAC system work at max capacity for 2 to 3 hours a day having to pull all the heat out for the morning workers.

I dont understand businesses.

You think they cool it for the morning workers?

The HVAC in my building works 7-5 M-F, holidays excluded. The first day after a long weekend is either really loving cold or really loving hot, depending on the season. (I guess they keep some heat on in the winter, but it ain't a lot.)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

Holy hell - imagine the stress of those heat cycles.

That's why the seals fail on the windows- heat cycles + moisture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What are all the glass walls in toronto now rated at, like 10 years before they all just start popping off?

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
Glass walls in Canada is like stupidity taking a material form.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

What are all the glass walls in toronto now rated at, like 10 years before they all just start popping off?

Something like that. My girlfriend works in that big building attached to the Eaton centre and says the same thing as Rime: even when they turn on the AC in the morning the office doesn't cool down until 11 AM-12 PM. This is part of some green initiative or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah plus the glass wall style windows are crazy expensive to replace and also tend to have higher risk of water damage/leaks, enjoy a nice big Strata fee increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Suddenly the bungalow my aunt and uncle bought 10 years ago that was built by a stonemason in the 60s is looking like a pretty good buy!

(downside is it's in Kingston, but I'm white weird and like Kingston)