Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This game's cruisin' for a Groosin'!

...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
The problem with Groose as a character in Hyrule Warriors is, what would his moveset be? I mean, it's not like he can just go and build a Groosinator every time you hit the attack button ... right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hashy posted:

It's funny how the Wii U is getting high profile exclusives of the absolute best and absolute dullest of character action in Bayonetta 2 and Zelda Dynasty Warriors respectively, and that the good one has a character/tone that turns everyone off while the bad one is in the second most loved videogame franchise there is.

Dynasty Warriors games have evolved quite a bit since the early days.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PrBacterio posted:

The problem with Groose as a character in Hyrule Warriors is, what would his moveset be? I mean, it's not like he can just go and build a Groosinator every time you hit the attack button ... right?

I don't see why not.:colbert: The Imprisoned better not make it in though. I never want to fight it again.

I hope we get decent representation from pre OOT games. I want to play as Christian knight Link.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I have never wanted Tingle in a game.

Until now.

I want the ridiculously over-polite auction guy, whose every other statement was "dear people" and/or "thank you VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!"

Crawfish posted:

Did you try the Konami code?

I actually tried the Konami code today and it doesn't work; pushing B advances you into whatever menu screen option you have highlighted.

Speaking of cheat codes, Shovel Knight apparently has a bunch of cheat codes. A few of them - one makes Shovel Knight like 20 times bigger, one changes your color/hue every time you jump, and one replaces a bunch of nouns in the dialogue with "butt" (Shovel Knight becomes Butt Butt, for example.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 4, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PrBacterio posted:

If he were included, I'd imagine he'd be basically a Hylian Tony Stark mixed with Hercule/Mr Satan from DBZ. There's enough ancient tech about for him to rework into all kinds of crazy stuff, but he doesn't necessarily have to be good at keeping it from exploding, you know?

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Anyone in the UK might want to know that Game have Mario Kart 8 on their site for £30 today only.

God knows I got in there which is going to prompt the inevitable "which free game should I get?" question. I tend to prefer hard copies of things, and I have most of them pegged as things I'd want a disc of, so I'm mostly looking at ones with a lot of replay value or are good for a quick blast or something (and also isn't huge).
I was initially just going to ask between Nintendo Land or Game & Wario, but then it struck me that New Mario U might fit too. It also struck me that Zelda might be nice; I've already got the GC version and paying to rebuy it at current rates seem a bit much, even with the tweaks. Doesn't exactly fit my earlier stated criteria though.
Mario and Zelda seem like the two that a disc will be easy to find later if I decide I desperately need a disc for whatever reason, meanwhile NL and G&W are cheap-ish now.

As for the others, W101 and Pikmin I have on order, Sonic LW is relatively cheap, and honestly most of the others are bigger than I'd like anyway, because I haven't gotten external storage yet. The one I'm not sure of is Sonic & Mario Do Sochi; those games seem hit and miss, so how's that one?

Any advice would be great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you really want to choose between Nintendo Land and Game and Wario, go for NL. I've never played G&W but response to it has been that it's alright, but not great. Nintendo Land on the other hand is a lot of fun. It's got 3 really meaty and fairly lengthy single player games in it, a handful of extremely fun multiplayer games, and then a bunch of little single player arcade games which I don't like as much but some of them can still be enjoyable. I think it would be a great candidate to get for free.

Mario and Zelda are also both fantastic of course. Basically get anything but G&W.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nintendoland is better than Game and Wario, get it first.

But Game and Wario is still good and you should consider getting it later.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Is it really a non-stop button masher like some people claim it to be or do they mix up the gameplay a little bit? I mean, I like hacking up hoards of dudes but even I tired of it quickly.

I got Zelda with my Mario Kart 8 Promotion just because it seems like the best game out of the bunch and my Wii U already came with New Super Mario Bros U.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Is it really a non-stop button masher like some people claim it to be or do they mix up the gameplay a little bit? I mean, I like hacking up hoards of dudes but even I tired of it quickly.

I've only played Dynasty Warriors Next which was free on PS+ and I was killing literally thousands of men with the same 3 or maybe 4 combos. Like you've got hundreds of these useless enemies running around that you can kill in one hit and there's a handful of stronger guys scattered around the map. It's super mindless but there was something kinda addictive about it. I enjoyed it and had no idea why since on paper it seems like it should be a bad game

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Policenaut posted:

This game's cruisin' for a Groosin'!

...right?

Didn't some Nintendo exec say they weren't ever bringing Groose back because he was unpopular with Japanese women or something?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LordHippoman posted:

Didn't some Nintendo exec say they weren't ever bringing Groose back because he was unpopular with Japanese women or something?

I'm selling my Wii U.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LordHippoman posted:

Japan ruining Nintendo franchises one day at a time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LordHippoman posted:

Come on, they love loving Tingle enough to give him his own game, but they loathe the best character from Skyward Sword???

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Most of what you'll directly be doing is fighting large crowds of enemies and you'll usually be doing that by mashing your combos as fast as you can. The trick in the game comes from running around the huge battlefields trying to complete objectives. There's some style variation between the games that make it hard to be more specific, depending on which game you might have more detail in combat or hunting collectables or complicated multistage battlefields. The thing you'll be doing most of the time is pretty basic.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I've never heard of anyone actually saying this and would need some sort of sources to take it at face value.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Japan ruining Nintendo franchises one day at a time.

And they aren't even buying the drat console. The Japanese's pre-occupation with Japan even at it's own detriment is ridiculous. Nintendo has to realize that the US and Europe are the much bigger money making markets for it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

PrBacterio posted:

If they made a moveset for Agatha who just sits there in Twilight Princess and buys glowy bugs from you i'm sure they could figure something out for Groose. Dan Hibiki-esque goofus character with a frying pan or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing Hyrule Warriors gameplay makes me realize what I've been missing from Zelda games since OOT. Enemies. There used to be screens full of enemies to dispatch as you make your way overland to some objective or another. The overworld was a dangerous place, especially if you wandered into endgamey areas.

With Zelda U trying to be more like old Zelda and bringing back the overworld exploration as a main thing, I hope the overworld is actually somewhat dangerous again, at least in places. One peahat or stalfos lazily following you around does not a scary overworld make.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Clearly Groose is gonna beat enemies with his pompadour.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't really understand this forums obsession with Groose. He's just a dumb Biff analog.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

greatn posted:

I don't really understand this forums obsession with Groose. He's just a dumb Biff analog.

Had to find something to like about Skyward Sword.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Had to find something to like about Skyward Sword.

The sand ocean is pretty cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

It's not limited to SomethingAwful. It's just a general internet thing. Like Waluigi!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Trent posted:

Seeing Hyrule Warriors gameplay makes me realize what I've been missing from Zelda games since OOT. Enemies. There used to be screens full of enemies to dispatch as you make your way overland to some objective or another. The overworld was a dangerous place, especially if you wandered into endgamey areas.

With Zelda U trying to be more like old Zelda and bringing back the overworld exploration as a main thing, I hope the overworld is actually somewhat dangerous again, at least in places. One peahat or stalfos lazily following you around does not a scary overworld make.

Only thing remotely like that I can think of in OoT like that would be the offhand Peahat (which was absolutely nightmarish to be fair)

Are you thinking of Majora's Mask? That had enemies all over the map of various levels of danger and if you accidentally wandered into say, Ikana Valley and got jumped by those ninja guys you'd get the crap beat out of you.

greatn posted:

He's a dumb likeable jerk with funny hair. Also his theme is a remix of the Wind Waker Pirates, he was just nice to have around I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 4, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Groose's theme is the new Guile theme - it goes with everything. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had some rooms that were just swarming with enemies, but it was basically limited to the pit of trials dungeons.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Fremry posted:

And they aren't even buying the drat console. The Japanese's pre-occupation with Japan even at it's own detriment is ridiculous. Nintendo has to realize that the US and Europe are the much bigger money making markets for it.

This but unironically

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

greatn posted:

He's more like Gaston, really. If Gaston became a good person instead.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Trent posted:

I honestly think that I want the opposite out of Zelda U. If we're getting to freely explore this large, interesting world I don't want to have to dispatch enemies all the time while I'm cruising around! :shobon:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

JordanKai posted:

I honestly think that I want the opposite out of Zelda U. If we're getting to freely explore this large, interesting world I don't want to have to dispatch enemies all the time while I'm cruising around! :shobon:

Perhaps have the best of both worlds? Ie, after you've cleared out enemies, or otherwise made section parts of the map safe to follow (ie, roads), you can cruise around safely to the next objective or whatever.

Still, I can get the sentiment. Don't want the world feeling empty after all, but its hard to enjoy it if you're being constantly swarmed as you ride along.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What if you could use something like All Purpose Bait to distract enemies for a while so you can just ignore them and do whatever for like 10-15 minutes?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think routes to places should hardly be populated with enemies, but places where there is stuff is guarded. If there is a treasure chest or cavern nearby, something will be guarding it, so if you ever run unto enemies or see them in the distance that will actually be a hint that you can fund rupees, a piece of heart, or some other piece of treasure or side quest item nearby. Sometimes there might be other conspicuous signs of an item nearby, and maybe if you find it, it was actually a trap.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bladeworksmaster posted:

He's more like Gaston, really. If Gaston became a good person instead.

Nobody finds heart pieces like Gaston!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

how big of a deal is it actually getting the 8gb vs the 32gb if i mainly plan on getting physical discs?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not, you can always attach an external HD if you need in the future.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's not, you can always attach an external HD if you need in the future.

At the same time, a refurb 32GB is still cheaper than any 8GB system out there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

greatn posted:

It's fun and easy to say "the Groose is loose"

In actuality he's a mediocre character from a mediocre game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Starhawk64 posted:

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game. Is it really a non-stop button masher like some people claim it to be or do they mix up the gameplay a little bit?

Nope, that's Dynasty Warriors. Some people like it because it's a brainless game where you do the same two-button three-hit combo over and over and over again while hundreds of men fall at your feet, and there's apparently a lot of these people because the game sells well enough with each new iteration that Tecmo-Koei keeps making sequels. Personally, I think that poo poo is super boring and I have no idea what people see in the series.

Here's a Giant Bomb Quick Look for Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (Xtreme, urrggghhhh), the latest game in the series. You can likely expect Hyrule Warriors to play similarly to this, so if you like this video you'll probably like Hyrule Warriors!

• Locked thread