Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Hope he has to be put down again like the pathetic subhuman he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Okay this is just ridiculous. Like DC must be having an internal Photoshop Phriday and it's just a company challenge to see who can make the silliest.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'm glad Damyin is back. It's good for Bruce to have his real son back again.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Is this the thread for asking about Harley Quinn comics recommendations, or should I go to the general recommendations thread?

If this is the right place, then Hello. I'm interested in exploring Harley more as a character, and I see the New 52 provided a visual re-design of her and assigned her to some sort of squad of other villains and then she broke off and now she has a solo series.

Are either of those two good? If not, are there any older series about her that are worth reading?

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage

Trier posted:

Is this the thread for asking about Harley Quinn comics recommendations

Are either of those two good? If not, are there any older series about her that are worth reading?

The Paul Dini / Bruce Timm "Mad Love" trade would be a great start. Then you can move on to the three Karl Kesel / Terry Dodson trades. I'm not a real fan of the new 52 Harley but her new solo series is better than her suicide squad run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trier posted:

Is this the thread for asking about Harley Quinn comics recommendations, or should I go to the general recommendations thread?

If this is the right place, then Hello. I'm interested in exploring Harley more as a character, and I see the New 52 provided a visual re-design of her and assigned her to some sort of squad of other villains and then she broke off and now she has a solo series.

Batman: Mad Love is always a good place to start with Harley.
Her current series is more humour based with very very little in way of characterization. If you want to see her be violently ditzy (which isn't as bad as it sounds) then the current stuff is for you, but if you want something deeper best look elsewhere.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get on that.

Madkal posted:

Her current series is more humour based (...) If you want to see her be violently ditzy (which isn't as bad as it sounds) then the current stuff is for you

That actually doesn't sound that bad. Maybe I should give it a try.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Trier posted:

I highly recommend her 2000-2004 solo by Terry Dodson and others. Dodson's issues in particular are my favorite, but the other ones aren't too bad either. The artwork is great and you get plenty of cameos from other Batman rogues. It's definitely a comic I would consider to be faithful to how she was portrayed in the Batman Animated Series, where she first appeared.

People already mentioned Mad Love, but I'll also bring up Gotham City Sirens which was written by her creator Paul Dini for the first 13 issues as well and stars Poison Ivy and Catwoman alongside her. The issues after that vary in quality in regards to Harley's characterization, but the first 13 issues are definite must-reads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you get into her new solo book, avoid the hell out of the villains month issue by Matt Kindt that came out just before the series started. It's not connected in any way.
It straight up turns her into the DCU's worst psychopath mass child murderer and Conner/Palmiotti's light, funny series rightly doesn't acknowledge it at all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My partner absolutely loves the New 52 Harley Quinn series, though I haven't read any of them yet.

I've only recently gotten into Batman, reading most of the essentials over the last year (Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, Killing Joke, etc) and I'm also catching up on the New 52 stuff. For now just the main Batman and Batgirl trades, though I'm open to any other recommendations. I'm wondering, was Gordon's family like this in the original continuity as well? I remember him having the wife and son, but I could swear that Barbara was his brother's kid who then died and that's why they were raising her. Also, was James Jr. a loving nutbag serial killer back then?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

was James Jr. a loving nutbag serial killer back then?

Read Scott Snyder's The Black Mirror for that.

Peter Tomasi's current 'Batman and Robin' is a fantastic series, but I'd really recommend reading all of Grant Morrison's Batman work from the 'Batman and Son' trade to the last N52 Batman Incorporated one to completely get into that relationship. Plus Morrison's Batsaga is amazing anyway.

Batwoman (start with the Batwoman: Elegy trade before the new series), Batman/Superman and the weekly Batman Eternal series, I like a lot.
The current team on Detective Comics are amazing artists. I haven't followed up past the their first issue (#30) cause the script didn't get me, but it might be worth a look just for the visuals.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 5, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks. The only Morrison Batman I've read so far has been 'Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a Serious Earth'

Was Snyder writing Batman before New 52?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was Snyder writing Batman before New 52?

Yeah. He did that (the last 11 issues of Detective Comics) and the Gates of Gotham miniseries right at the end.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 5, 2014

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Morrisons Batman is very different from Snyders and not for everyone. I prefer the less mind-fucky Snyders run.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Thanks. The only Morrison Batman I've read so far has been 'Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a Serious Earth'
With the exception of his take on the Joker, his Batman run is very different from Asylum which is one of the worst things he's ever written. If you are going to read Morrison's Batman though, I do recommend reading Batman #113 and Batman #156 before you read Morrison's run. They're not necessary, but definitely enrich the experience. #156, "Robin Dies Before Dawn," is the more important of the two.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Issue #1 of Batmanga is up on Comixology for less than a dollar and and it's pretty drat great and everybody should buy it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BATMETAL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatmJtIJAPw

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:allears:

Shame that the song is kind of goofy :v:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I would very much enjoy a cheat code that replaces the glide kick in Arkham Knight with a glide bellyflop.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Is there a way to quash JUST Dark_Tittyfan's custom titles? Jesus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Please. The name is Dark_TitsAnime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Was Taters posted:

That isn't a custom title, he bought it himself.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Trier posted:

To reiterate others' comments, the Karl Kesel/Team Dodson run is freaking fantastic. I think it's all been collected in trades by now. The series does continue after they leave, but just drop it at that point.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a custom title, he bought it himself.

So I guess I just need to put him on ignore.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Was Taters posted:

So I guess I just need to put him on ignore.

Join the party!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just finished Volume 2 (Knightfall Descends) of the Batgirl trades. Is there any reason for the completely black page towards the end? I'm assuming a misprint, because there doesn't seem to be any narrative or story reason for it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Was Taters posted:

You can use adblock.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just finished Volume 2 (Knightfall Descends) of the Batgirl trades. Is there any reason for the completely black page towards the end? I'm assuming a misprint, because there doesn't seem to be any narrative or story reason for it.

I'm pretty sure those blank pages are there to maintain the page layouts as they were in the original comics. You wouldn't want a two page spread landing on the back and front of a single page, for example.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vindicator posted:

I'm pretty sure those blank pages are there to maintain the page layouts as they were in the original comics. You wouldn't want a two page spread landing on the back and front of a single page, for example.

I thought about that, but I can't really see any reason for it. I'll take a picture later today or tomorrow to show you folks what I mean.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Some more good Bat books keep on coming.

quote:

Starting in October, Barbara Gordon gets a brand new look, and team of writers and artist with Batgirl #35. Cameron Stewart and Brenden Fletcher, no strangers to the DC Universe from their work on Batman Inc. and Wednesday ComicsÂť respectively, will write the book, which finds Batgirl's house burning down, forcing her to reevaluate her life in a big way.

Additionally, the writing team is joined by newcomer, artist Babs Tarr, who along with sometimes artist Stewart, has revamped her namesake's costume to be way more practical than the skin-hugging body-armor comic fans might be used to.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1864359/batgirl-exclusive-dc-comics/

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That looks awesome, will be picking it up.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Stewart confirmed on twitter that Jordie Bellaire will be doing colours too. Books going to be awesome.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"She’s leaving it all behind her. We really wanted to make this a book with a light tone, of fun and adventure and mystery, and let the rest of the Bat-family deal with the darkness"

This is a New52 title? Does not compute. New outfit's great, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

That looks awesome, will be picking it up.
Kicky boots! :neckbeard:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

"She’s leaving it all behind her. We really wanted to make this a book with a light tone, of fun and adventure and mystery, and let the rest of the Bat-family deal with the darkness"

That sounds like they're making Babs into what Steph was. I don't mind this at all as long as they follow through and drop all the bullshit Simone crap.

I might actually have a DC book to read after Wonder Woman implodes on itself.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

That actually looks like it could be fun. So how long until DC's editors notice what is going on?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I'm all for this comic. Until it gets mired in a crossover.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I cannot wait to own all four issues before Simone comes back to restore her headcanon.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Between Batgirl and some of the ideas being batted around for Catwoman, it almost seems like the New 52 is finding its feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

Can we take a deadpool on when the creators will be suddenly replaced without any warning?* Remember even if there are solicitations, that won't stop anything, or DC can say that the creators were only supposed to do 3 issues anyway like they did with Kots.

*I will try remain optimistic but I will believe this fully if the run lasts longer than 3 issues.

• Locked thread