Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually psychic bloodbending was how Amon dodged nearly every attack that was thrown at him throughout the season.
That part was pretty bullshit, honestly.

I'm pretty sure a normal Bloodbender could have done the same thing, it would have just been more obvious. All it would generally take is gently pushing a limb slightly to get the incoming attack to miss.

That said, I do freely admit that Psychic Bloodbending wasn't nearly as visually interesting as Psychic Firebending though I don't see it as being any worse from a narrative point than Psychic Firebending. If anything Psychic Bloodbending, being basically mind control, makes for a better story hook than "shoots fire good".

DrSunshine posted:

Have you guys never watched/read a shonen anime/manga before? LoK pretty much follows the standard shonen power-creep model to the tee. In the first series, bloodbending was like this "Oooh, super scary, super-strong forbidden art :zombie:", same as lightningbending and metalbending. So in order to make new antagonists seem like a credible threat after the time-skip, they had to show these as more common-place and try to push it the next step up with psychic versions of the same techniques. It's just like in Bleach, One Piece, or Naruto!

While this is a good point, I don't think shonen usually jumps 70 years for a time skip. It makes it a little easier to swallow the world as a whole moving on to such a point where specialty bending and super-bending are more common/better.

Edit: I think the time between Avatar and Korra gets overlooked a lot. A generation is generally seen as 25 years, which means it's been almost three generations since the events of Avatar. That's a lot of time for things to change, and given Korra is set during an industrial revolution a lot of things are guaranteed to have changed and to continue to change and that applies to a lot more than just technology.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
There's probably mass produced books on bending techniques, rather than handwritten scrolls that are hard to come by. A bender could just buy Earth Bending for Dummies instead of tracking down a master to teach them. There's probably even be classes for it and poo poo. Better dissemination of information allows for advancement and such.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Brightman posted:

There's probably mass produced books on bending techniques, rather than handwritten scrolls that are hard to come by. A bender could just buy Earth Bending for Dummies instead of tracking down a master to teach them. There's probably even be classes for it and poo poo. Better dissemination of information allows for advancement and such.

21st century Avatar World: "Ah, so stressful! I have to drop the kids off at Probending practice before I rush to my Earthbendaerobics class!"

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

DrSunshine posted:

Have you guys never watched/read a shonen anime/manga before? LoK pretty much follows the standard shonen power-creep model to the tee. In the first series, bloodbending was like this "Oooh, super scary, super-strong forbidden art :zombie:", same as lightningbending and metalbending. So in order to make new antagonists seem like a credible threat after the time-skip, they had to show these as more common-place and try to push it the next step up with psychic versions of the same techniques. It's just like in Bleach, One Piece, or Naruto!

I seem to remember DBZ was nothing but power creeping. There were no other plotlines. They either discussed how they were getting bulked up or they were talking about how bulked up they were going to get.

But LOK isn't an anime.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brightman posted:

Yeah, it's entirely possible (and indeed quite likely) that there are a bunch of benders out there that can do a lot more in the first series but were limited by education. Psychic Bloodbending is sort of the exception but stuff like lightning or metal bending definitely.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

I seem to remember DBZ was nothing but power creeping. There were no other plotlines. They either discussed how they were getting bulked up or they were talking about how bulked up they were going to get.

But LOK isn't an anime.

It totally is an anime! :haw:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

DrSunshine posted:

It totally is an anime! :haw:

No way she has a nose.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

dj_clawson posted:

But LOK isn't an anime.

Isn't it? Isn't it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

Isn't it? Isn't it?

Perhaps we are all animes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What part of the thread title do you not understand?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What part of the thread title do you not understand?

The TV IV › Legend of Korra Book 3: The Official Start of the Summer 2014 _____ Season

Looks fine to me, don't know what you're trying to imply here.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
There is power creep, but nowhere near the scale of those unending manga/anime series. The 13 episode books, 4 books total also prevents things from going too much over the top. I hope. At least it's not 300 episodes of power creep and cheap filler.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jorghnassen posted:

There is power creep, but nowhere near the scale of those unending manga/anime series. The 13 episode books, 4 books total also prevents things from going too much over the top. I hope. At least it's not 300 episodes of power creep and cheap filler.

I also want to point out yet again that 70 years have passed in-story. I would wager the average martial artist today is stronger than a martial artist of similar dedication 70 years ago due to the overall advances in society allowing them to work smarter to achieve more.

Doesn't explain Psychic Bloodbending, but in a setting that's already had what amounts to X-Men style mutant benders I don't know that it needs much more explanation.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
One Piece is a pretty weird example of power creep to lump in with something like Naruto, considering the power scale has been extremely wide in One Piece from early in the story, with villains beaten early on coming back much later and still being threatening. I don't think the "power creep" in Korra can be compared to OP or even Naruto, really.

The advancement of bending abilities makes a lot more sense in Korra because communication networks probably improved immensely in the 70 years since Aang's youth. When it's easier to communicate ideas, you wouldn't need to travel for years just to meet an ancient bending master who's the only person to know a certain skill. There's just way more access to that kind of information, so common people can do things like shoot lightning. It's perfectly logical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Lightning, as we see, has a non-combat purpose. When Lightning-bending is used as a source of power you can drat well bet people figured out how to teach people how to do it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

Also Lightning, as we see, has a non-combat purpose. When Lightning-bending is used as a source of power you can drat well bet people figured out how to teach people how to do it.

Hell, it's probably easier to Lightningbend out of combat than try and use it while fighting. Off the top of my head, I can't actually remember Mako really using it during any fights. Maybe in a car chase once?

I wonder what the rules in pro-bending are about Lightning and Metal bending. They let Korra join on the grounds she only Waterbend, so I assume it's just "only use an approved element". Oh man, I wonder if they'll start allowing Airbenders to compete?

gently caress Legend of Korra, I want to see Bender Baki.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mako did use lightning bending against Amon in the S1 finale, yeah. Granted, not enough to win, but that's beside the point. :v:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I imagine with air benders actually wide spread we should see either 4v4 pro bending or 3v3 with a choice of any 3 elements.

More pro bending please

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, and this after all that hullabaloo in season one complaining about too much pro bending

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squall posted:

I imagine with air benders actually wide spread we should see either 4v4 pro bending or 3v3 with a choice of any 3 elements.

More pro bending please

Please, no. It was just so artificial and constrained, I found it completely boring in S1.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't know how anyone could want more pro-bending when even the little blips of bending in the first few episode of Book 3 alone were already way more interesting than pro-bending in every way.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
A Amazing Race starring airbenders on a mountain range could be a fun version of the tour Dr france.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
AIrbending wouldn't even work for Pro-Bending since its whole thing is knocking people back it would be horribly unbalanced.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You can only bend the colored air that comes out of dispensers in the floor.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That said, I do freely admit that Psychic Bloodbending wasn't nearly as visually interesting as Psychic Firebending though I don't see it as being any worse from a narrative point than Psychic Firebending. If anything Psychic Bloodbending, being basically mind control, makes for a better story hook than "shoots fire good".

My issue has always been that introducing "psychic" bending arts goes against one of the core conceits of the show, which is that bending battles are basically souped-up martial arts fights where a punch or kick can also send a wave of fire or a boulder shooting at your opponent. When you introduce characters that can utilize their powers with their minds and don't need to do the actual kung fu fighting, you're taking away the most visually interesting part of the show. I don't want to see psychic bloodbenders tossing characters around like they've got telekinetic powers. It might as well be X-Men or something at that point where you have people with godlike psychic powers over various elements.

At least phantom limb bender is actually doing something that's interesting to look at and I guess is more or less doing the same things as a normal bender, just minus arms.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Darth Nat posted:

My issue has always been that introducing "psychic" bending arts goes against one of the core conceits of the show, which is that bending battles are basically souped-up martial arts fights where a punch or kick can also send a wave of fire or a boulder shooting at your opponent. When you introduce characters that can utilize their powers with their minds and don't need to do the actual kung fu fighting, you're taking away the most visually interesting part of the show. I don't want to see psychic bloodbenders tossing characters around like they've got telekinetic powers. It might as well be X-Men or something at that point where you have people with godlike psychic powers over various elements.

At least phantom limb bender is actually doing something that's interesting to look at and I guess is more or less doing the same things as a normal bender, just minus arms.

It would bother me more, but every instance of a (truly) psychic bender has been a villain, someone who breaks that core conceit and ignores things like hard work and training in favor of mind-fire and blood-telekinesis. It strikes me as a narrative way of saying "these things are possible in this world, but they're wrong". Assuming Combustion Man's power was also genetic, though, it then becomes a message of "people born naturally gifted are assholes" which doesn't quite line up with at least the last couple Avatars being superheroes. Bumi is a different case, though he was at very least originally somewhat antagonistic and was less truly doing Psychic Earthbending and more using very small movements to achieve larger scale bending.

The phantom limb bender is very neat though, and I'm looking forward to how she fights and whatever justification they give for her water arms.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DrSunshine posted:

Weighted balls, and the technique would probably resemble a combo of baseball/bowling. They can even do a defensive move similar to having red/green shells in MarioKart.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DrSunshine posted:

No no no, they need to re-do the whole thing from the ground up, and turn it into an EXTREME!!! obstacle course/arena!

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Personally I'd like them to get to the dark side of airbending. Creating a vacuum around someone and denying them air, or stealing the air from their lungs etc. with an airbending villain now hopefully this will be explored

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Couldn't a firebender just ignite the airpocket and walk out of the chiflame looking badass?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
That would be a great finisher. Also opposite way to burn a fire bender with his own flame

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Babygravy posted:

That would be a great finisher. Also opposite way to burn a fire bender with his own flame

I assume special class oriental chi flames can't harm someone in control of their chakra.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

I assume special class oriental chi flames can't harm someone in control of their chakra.

Counterpoint - lightning redirection being a viable battle tactic.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint - lightning redirection being a viable battle tactic.

Clarification: someone's own properly controlled chi flames. Doesn't the fire Lord sit in a sea of fire?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sithsaber posted:

Clarification: someone's own properly controlled chi flames. Doesn't the fire Lord sit in a sea of fire?

Convection doesn't exist in film.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm cautiously optimistic that Book III may fix some of the issues of Book II; the fights are so far fun and they have a lot of room to work with for writing an engaging story though I can already see how a few of the plot threads might turn out.

My Predictions:
-Thief Airbender kid probably reforms and becomes a good guy; with the possibility of being distracted and joins the evil guys first before turning good again because conflict.
-Evil Airbender guy might also probably turn good and be a leader of the air nomads or is redeemed performing some sort of heroic sacrifice realizing what he's done wrong; its too early to tell.

I think there's something of a theme being set up how people with murky pasts can discard it and move on towards a better future; we see this with the reminder of Mako's and Bolin's backstory as street hoodlums and it just seems very obvious to me that they are setting this up in some fashion for the two principle airbender characters.

I think it would be clever if the kid turned out to be evil and the older guy gets redeemed but I don't expect that level of writing from this show; but I think its been a point that people are defined by their choices, so one turns good and the other evil.

I really really groaned though with how badly they bungled trying to recruit airbenders though, I have to say.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that Book III may fix some of the issues of Book II; the fights are so far fun and they have a lot of room to work with for writing an engaging story though I can already see how a few of the plot threads might turn out.

My Predictions:
-Thief Airbender kid probably reforms and becomes a good guy; with the possibility of being distracted and joins the evil guys first before turning good again because conflict.
-Evil Airbender guy might also probably turn good and be a leader of the air nomads or is redeemed performing some sort of heroic sacrifice realizing what he's done wrong; its too early to tell.

I think there's something of a theme being set up how people with murky pasts can discard it and move on towards a better future; we see this with the reminder of Mako's and Bolin's backstory as street hoodlums and it just seems very obvious to me that they are setting this up in some fashion for the two principle airbender characters.

I think it would be clever if the kid turned out to be evil and the older guy gets redeemed but I don't expect that level of writing from this show; but I think its been a point that people are defined by their choices, so one turns good and the other evil.

I really really groaned though with how badly they bungled trying to recruit airbenders though, I have to say.

Or the kid could join the old guy and they can both be evil together! It'd be like a dark Iroh/Zuko team!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

DrSunshine posted:

Or the kid could join the old guy and they can both be evil together! It'd be like a dark Iroh/Zuko team!

The kid's just a common rogue which means there's no reason for him to devote himself to a truly villanous cause.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just realized a couple days ago that Korra started back up and my DVR hadn't been recording it. Catching up on the episodes I missed. First impression: "Mako, why, why Mako, why--- and then she dies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The phantom limb bender is very neat though, and I'm looking forward to how she fights

Fighting style is basically Spider-Man style to get close, then T-1000 style blades and spikes.

And probending was boring as poo poo, it was stand here and shoot color blobs at one another. The real fighting scenes where they actually interact with each other and the constantly changing environment is way better both visually and from a narrative POV

• Locked thread