Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I dunno, I tried it once and found it unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Park rangers usually have to cull some animals out of the herds they protect every year. Sometimes it's just one that's too aggressive and is injuring others, another could be too old or sterile and is preventing others from breeding properly, etc. The park rangers are going to kill them any way, why not auction off who gets to shoot the bullet in order to ensure another year of funding that the government won't? It's a way to try to prevent some of the rangers from selling out to poachers and allowing them to come in and just butcher animals.

Yeah, the people who shoot the animals are pretty messed up for doing trophy hunting. Their money legitimately helps these species chance at surviving a little longer though, and unless someone else is going to step in and ensure these animals' safety there's nothing else we can do.

That's definitely not what she's doing though :( The photo of her that's going around everywhere is with a white lion... There's only one pack of wild white lions, which were reintroduced a decade ago by some crazy people (stop breeding white lions, damnit) and they're heavily watched. There's no way she'd get away with killing one, much less a male.

Meaning it was a canned hunt of a captive animal at a reserve where animals are bred so they can be shot for trophies.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
At least the upside is that it does actually do some good, but there's something off-putting about seeing someone so proud of doing it. It's like paying money to be in a boxing match where your opponent will make you look as a great as possible before hitting the ground and then proudly posing as the winner.

Nibbles! has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Jul 4, 2014

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Bears are only really carnivorous in the autumn, so I'm not sure they really count as predator meat. They're delicious, though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tNwTtH0qE

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't they raise scimitar oryxes for hunting in the States? No real harm ins giving rich whities a power fantasy for huge amounts of money if you make sure to produce more animals than they kill.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PresidentBeard posted:

Didn't they raise scimitar oryxes for hunting in the States? No real harm ins giving rich whities a power fantasy for huge amounts of money if you make sure to produce more animals than they kill.

Oh totally, that's why I still eat beef and chicken.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Park rangers usually have to cull some animals out of the herds they protect every year. Sometimes it's just one that's too aggressive and is injuring others, another could be too old or sterile and is preventing others from breeding properly, etc. The park rangers are going to kill them any way, why not auction off who gets to shoot the bullet in order to ensure another year of funding that the government won't? It's a way to try to prevent some of the rangers from selling out to poachers and allowing them to come in and just butcher animals.

Yeah, the people who shoot the animals are pretty messed up for doing trophy hunting. Their money legitimately helps these species chance at surviving a little longer though, and unless someone else is going to step in and ensure these animals' safety there's nothing else we can do.

The situation in much of central Africa is pretty dire. Between the warfare, people moving into once pristine national parks and setting up villages, and poaching, the wildlife is in rough shape. The rangers cull the ones they must every year, trading the meat to the groups that support the parks. Scheduled hunts like this one provide much needed cash to the parks. This girl killing a couple of animals isn't doing any harm, unlike the damage the poachers and often their own governments do.

Poachers go after certain animals, basically those which will provide wealthy Asians with the ingredients for aphrodisiacs. The number of animals they slaughter is staggering. Black rhinos are probably extinct in the wild, and the other rhinos aren't far behind. Powdered rhino horn is mixed into drinks in Vietnam as proof of wealth.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Khazar-khum posted:

The situation in much of central Africa is pretty dire. Between the warfare, people moving into once pristine national parks and setting up villages, and poaching, the wildlife is in rough shape. The rangers cull the ones they must every year, trading the meat to the groups that support the parks. Scheduled hunts like this one provide much needed cash to the parks. This girl killing a couple of animals isn't doing any harm, unlike the damage the poachers and often their own governments do.

Poachers go after certain animals, basically those which will provide wealthy Asians with the ingredients for aphrodisiacs. The number of animals they slaughter is staggering. Black rhinos are probably extinct in the wild, and the other rhinos aren't far behind. Powdered rhino horn is mixed into drinks in Vietnam as proof of wealth.

Kill all humans.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Funny thing is we could end the rhino horn industry by setting up farms to regularly harvest the horn nonfatally. Unfortunately that would require a lot more stability than a lot of regions with rhinos have.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Khazar-khum posted:

Harm or not, she's a disgusting human being, as is anyone else who participates in canned hunts.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Rise again, little fighter
And let the world know the reason why
Shine again, little fighter and don't let them end the things you do

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

DrNutt posted:

Harm or not, she's a disgusting human being, as is anyone else who participates in canned hunts.

She could have at least shot an old man in his face, Dick Cheney-style.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Human are after all the most dangerous predator on this planet.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

DrNutt posted:

I am not really sure why people think she's some big, bold, hunger defeating hero-saint or something. It's vaguely horrifying. Oh yes, yes, good for you, you shot an animal with a high powered firearm that had no chance to escape. Good job.

I suspect it's the usual 'cute white girl does something vaguely charitable and gets tons of press after' thing. Like when they go to other countries to volunteer and post tons of pictures of it so you know~

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Imagine loving killing an animal that size. Imagine killing Simba after he's gone through the loss of his father and managed to grow into a balanced adult. I'd bawl like a baby.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
also, there's a pretty decent chance that if she does get knocked up accidentally, she'll have an abortion anyway

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

None of this "shooting lions for sexual thrills and ego boosts, and a marginal amount of charity" really stands up when you realise that for the price of murdering Simba she could have bought at least several sustainable farms and clean drinking water facilities. Give a man a fish etc.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

moerketid posted:

None of this "shooting lions for sexual thrills and ego boosts, and a marginal amount of charity" really stands up when you realise that for the price of murdering Simba she could have bought at least several sustainable farms and clean drinking water facilities. Give a man a fish etc.

and watch as the fish gets taken away by corrupt assholes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Louis Theroux has a good piece on the trophy hunting business. It's on Netflix.

We view that rear end in a top hat lion very differently than the people who live and work around them.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Morning zoo radio hosts are the scum of the earth. No better than animals. I wonder how much rich white people would be willing to pay for the opportunity to shoot them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PresidentBeard posted:

There were oryx turned loose in the southwest (White Sands, NM) years ago, they became pests due to lack of predators. There's a regular hunting season on them to control the herd size.
http://www.nps.gov/whsa/naturescience/oryx.htm
Barbary sheep and ibex were introduced out there also.

Pigsfeet on Rye has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Jul 4, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

SteveVizsla posted:

It's his job to be outrageous and say things like that.

This has never been a good excuse for anything ever.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

it's okay to be an rear end in a top hat if you get paid for it!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

comedy punching down is the most cowardly poo poo ever. that egyptian comedian is the best and i want to see more like him.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

This girl already has three dogs, two out of three of which are longhaired breeds living in an uncovered yard in the South Carolina heat (that they are constantly trying to escape) because she thinks deworming them or getting them pretty much any basic vet care is 'too expensive'- read, cuts into her being able to shop at Whole Foods instead of Kroger. She now has three dogs trailing worms out their butts and her solution is not 'get them dewormed', it's 'make them live in the yard'. She is constantly posting about wanting a new pet.
Stop adopting the things. :sigh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Morning zoo radio hosts are the scum of the earth. No better than animals. I wonder how much rich white people would be willing to pay for the opportunity to shoot them.
They haven't done anything nearly as bad as the Opie & Anthony guy but I hold Bob and Tom reprehensible for overplaying Here Come The Mummies and their godawful laughter. Thank god my local station dropped them after a year.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Grrl Anachronism posted:

She is constantly posting about wanting a new pet.

Are you in a position to anonymously call Animal Control or something on her? If you are, I'd at least consider it. The poor dogs. :(

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Grrl Anachronism posted:

This girl already has three dogs, two out of three of which are longhaired breeds living in an uncovered yard in the South Carolina heat (that they are constantly trying to escape) because she thinks deworming them or getting them pretty much any basic vet care is 'too expensive'- read, cuts into her being able to shop at Whole Foods instead of Kroger. She now has three dogs trailing worms out their butts and her solution is not 'get them dewormed', it's 'make them live in the yard'. She is constantly posting about wanting a new pet.

Do you live near her? Because I would call your local humane society or whoever is responsible for checking up on the welfare of animals. Dogs wandering around with parasites hanging out of their asses is just disgusting and cruel. And like you said, if she can't afford to take them to the vet for even basic care, she shouldn't have them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Call her out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fandyien posted:

Call her out

Do it

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Fandyien posted:

Call her out

yeah do it, those kinds of people are exactly why animal control has so much work to do.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Fandyien posted:

Call her out

Would love to call her out/contact the ASPCA/animal control about her but have a couple of issues. First is that I'm not actually friends with her on FB- she's someone I know from high school and keep occasional tabs on via other friends for hilarity (see: pretending to be a marine). She's got me blocked for calling her out on stuff before. Secondly, while I know the town she lives in, I don't know where in it she lives, and I live like 2000+ miles away from it these days so I'm not sure how much I can do from where I am. :(

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is calling animal control an option? Because, drat.

E. Arrgh phone posting, beaten by like ten other people. Shame you don't have a way of finding out where they live, short of involving 4chan or stirring up some big time drama. Poor doggies.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zeether posted:

They haven't done anything nearly as bad as the Opie & Anthony guy but I hold Bob and Tom reprehensible for overplaying Here Come The Mummies and their godawful laughter. Thank god my local station dropped them after a year.

There is no such thing as overplaying Here Come The Mummies :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Grrl Anachronism posted:

"Adopt All The Things" is a window into her madness

Jackard has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jul 4, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

makes me think of my mother

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

You know, she can get most treatments for worms over the counter now. Sure, her dogs are probably all loaded with heartworm for which she does need a prescription to get prevention for (she has to pay for the blood tests), but all of the rest are treatable with over the counter treatments.She just needs to make sure she gets one of the flea/tick treatments that the vet has, although she doesn't have to buy them directly from the vet (even though it tends to be cheaper) since they actually work and are fda approved unlike sergeant's and hartz's poo poo.

Since they are hanging out of their butts, the worms are probably tape worms which the dogs got from swallowing fleas.

A quick search for praziquantel yielded this and this. And I have this (for round and hook worms) to worm my stray cats, which is the same thing we had at the vet clinic I worked at. Unfortunately, I can't remember how calculate the dose for dogs.

Bored has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 4, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Apologies for bringing up big game hunting chat, but there was recently a topical article in the National Geographic Traveler. Costas Christ brings up some very good points against the whole (stupid) affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

orange sky posted:

Imagine loving killing an animal that size. Imagine killing Simba after he's gone through the loss of his father and managed to grow into a balanced adult. I'd bawl like a baby.

You, uh...you do realize that lions do not have nearly as much personality as they do when they are animated and can talk, right? That they don't really have the same type of relationship with their parents as humans? That a lion even being a "balanced adult" is an extraordinarily silly thing to say?

• Locked thread