Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Mister Chief posted:

I'm sure your A team would have fared much better.

They'd have probably scored a try... maybe. Though with all the players being dead on their feet from the mental travelling schedule after a long season, even the A team would have had a rough time of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Oh boy the waratahs are getting my hopes up so they can crush them again aren't they? Didn't think we'd be top of the table after our earlier performances.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I hope Gareth Anscombe didn't have plans of moving to Wales to be closer to his dad,because Ulster have fired Mark Anscombe.Can't say I'm surprised,they've gone backwards under him and his team selection lost them a league semi-final.It does leave them in a pretty bad position though,preseason starts this week and they're now lacking a Director of Rugby and a Head Coach.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Yeah it's looking like a rebuilding year for Ulster since they lost so many players as well as the coach and director of rugby.

Anscombe did a less impressive job with a more impressive squad than Brian McLaughlin who got demoted from head coach to head of youth development after getting Ulster to the Heineken cup final, I don't know where they go from here with so many question marks, but I'm guessing they'll see a considerable dip in performance.

I liked Anscombe at first but he made some strange calls and it's understandable they've let him go. This season will be a strange one, we swapped David Humphreys for Ian Humphreys, lost 3 of our starting front 5, sacked a coach, finally finished building the stadium and got drawn in a European cup group with Toulon.

Hopefully we see some more development from the likes of Marshall/Henderson/Jackson/Olding, and maybe Craig Gilroy can find some form, but the forecast for this year isn't looking so rosy.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The word here is that Anscombe (and Baby Anscombe) will go to The Scarlets, to replace Simon Easterby, who is being lined up by the Ireland national team as a forwards coach.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
If anyone hasn't been following, Owen WIlliams is still in a pretty bad way: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/owen-williams-spinal-injury-broken-7345269 :(

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Western Mail just mentioned this bizarre Mike Phillips commercial that I'd neve seen up until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztUTzLGOxk

I'd never seen it, but I wanted to see if any other players had been made to do stupid TV spots for their new clubs. Apparantly, companies just love giving Sebastian Chabal money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSWRoO3U3xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDutHE8xFLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2yiT5FhCeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjbCpw60Ng

Is this a thing in the Southern Hemisphere? Rugby players shilling in commercials for things that have nothing at all to do with Rugby?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dan Carter does heat pump ads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbjVNbTo04

Richie McCaw shills a home builder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSOYy8nbAE

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, the Honey Badger has decided to head to Japan. Nick Cummins has just signed with the Coca Cola West Red Sparks in the Top League for next season, moving from Perth to Fukuoka. This also means the Wallabies will suddenly have to go without their best winger by some distance. Their inability to retain players is also becoming a serious problem for the ARU, as overseas clubs have been making off with not just frone-line Wallabies, but also the players that would have constituted the depth in each position.

Midi-Olympique in France have also claimed that viritually every starting player in the Wallabies have been approached by French clubs, and that Toulon are talking to Kurtley Beale, Israel Folau and even Michael Cheika as potetial recruits to their playing and coaching ranks.

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/231829.html

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 4, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I actually hope this happens, that the French clubs just rip out all the players form the Wallabies. Hopefully this will force the IRB into action in the form of homegrown player quotas or something like that because it's just starting to look more and more like the big clubs in football which essentially killed the game for everyone else.

Also, from that article:

quote:

"He rips in, he gives 100%, and off the field he's always good for a little bit of a laugh," Foley said. "The mood of the squad's good with 'Cummo" around.

"Cummo" might be the worst nickname ever.

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

World's stickiest superhero. :gizz:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

It sounds like this years hottest toy! Cummo is the cuddly honey badger suitable for the whole family. Pull his string, and he says one of twelve barely decipherable and vaguely offensive phrases!

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Even Aaron Cruden quotes the Honey Badger

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Unimpressed posted:

I actually hope this happens, that the French clubs just rip out all the players form the Wallabies. Hopefully this will force the IRB into action in the form of homegrown player quotas or something like that because it's just starting to look more and more like the big clubs in football which essentially killed the game for everyone else.

Also, from that article:

The Top 14 already have quotas for a certain number of homegrown players in a match-day 23,but their definition of "homegrown" is kind of murky.I'm pretty sure Delon Armitage counts as homegrown even though he played for England as he lived in France for a while as a child.

It's a shame that Cummins is leaving but considering his family circumstances,it's understandable.Putting family first in a situation like this is admirable.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I just don't understand how there is so little money in rugby except in France and Japan. The TV deals for these leagues are pathetic, I remember hearing how little the rabo 12 countries get and it was under a million a season? And it's more but still ridiculously low for the SH teams. NZ is only getting a match fee of 1 million dollars to play USA at Soldier Field, that's miniscule, the lowest paid NHL players make around that. So when French and Japanese clubs can offer real money of course players want to take it.

I can't understand it, but I also can't understand things like the ARU not even officially releasing the list of teams yet in their provincial league coming in under two months. They don't even have a website! is there anyone with business sense in these unions?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Holy gently caress, please let that be a try.

e: Yesssss.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone know why Slade's number is 24 and not 10?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Does anyone know why Slade's number is 24 and not 10?

Jersey probably got torn or something.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, but why would there even be a 24 jersey?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, but why would there even be a 24 jersey?

Replacement jerseys are usually numbered 24 or above, if they're numbered at all. No idea why they wouldn't have an extra jersey numbered between 1~15, but there you go.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 5, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Swan Curry posted:

It's a shame that Cummins is leaving but considering his family circumstances,it's understandable.Putting family first in a situation like this is admirable.

Do we know what those circumstances actually are?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Do we know what those circumstances actually are?

He is one of 8 siblings, two of which have CF. They only have a father and he has prostate cancer. Worst of all, they live in Rural Queensland. Couldn't make it up of you tried.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/lies-behind-nick-cummins-choice-leave-australia/

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Replacement jerseys are usually numbered 24 or above, if they're numbered at all. No idea why they wouldn't have an extra jersey numbered between 1~15, but there you go.

Ah, learned something new then. Cheers.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus this is some real Rugby drivel from the Reds v Force game. It's like they think they'll get points for being poo poo.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

freehotel posted:

I is there anyone with business sense in these unions?

Honestly it astounds me too. There's so little money in rugby world wide when compared to other sports; from wages to sponsorship deals to TV rights, as a sport Union is still small time as gently caress.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

And the Sharks lost to the Cheetahs overnight. A team of despicable men, led by a despicable coach playing despicable Rugby. I'm ecstatic even before thinking about how it almost secures the Tahs 1st place.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yes, gently caress off poo poo Smith.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha, Sekope Kepu falling in the maul like he's a 12 year old girl.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah that should have been a penalty for obstruction/holding back against the tahs.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hmm, I thought he lost control there for a bit, but another 4 try haul at home for the Tahs. Hard to believe this is the same team.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wonderful skill from Kepu, and to see him play like this at the 70th minute. The Tahs fitness coach has done wonders this year.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Tahs no. 1 :smug:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The thread is shell shocked.

That Taqele guy looks like a prop.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They're going to lose their first play-off game anyway.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

They're going to lose their first play-off game anyway.

Nah, I reckon for the first time, the "Super Rugby Final (provided NSW Qualify)" entry in the ANZ members schedule is not a cruel joke.

PS - you know that's what avatar toxxes are for.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Biggest crowd at Allianz I've seen in awhile today. Tahs were nice enough to reward the crowd with 6 tries :smug:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Imagine how good the Waratahs would be if their 10 wasn't poo poo.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ben Smith's been hospitalised with infection after the Tahs game. He's in doubt for the Crusaders game.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/10241262/Ben-Smith-hosptialised-in-Sydney-with-illness

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Ben Smith's been hospitalised with infection after the Tahs game. He's in doubt for the Crusaders game.

gently caress the Crusaders. All that matters is that he is better for the Quad-Nations or whatever we're calling it.
This better not be the 95 World Cup all over again....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

gently caress the Crusaders. All that matters is that he is better for the Quad-Nations or whatever we're calling it.
This better not be the 95 World Cup all over again....

Not a Highlanders fan then?

• Locked thread