Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

IuniusBrutus posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/422033/MacBook_Pro_MD313LL-A_133_Laptop_Computer_Pre-Owned_-_Silver

Is this a decent deal on a 13" Macbook Pro? It would be used entirely for web browsing, Office poo poo, and starting programming and CS classes.

It's the old non-retina MacBook Pro, the 13" model of which is not very good: low resolution screen, crap hard drive, too heavy for what it's got. You're looking at one from 2011. I would get something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/422033/MacBook_Pro_MD313LL-A_133_Laptop_Computer_Pre-Owned_-_Silver

Is this a decent deal on a 13" Macbook Pro? It would be used entirely for web browsing, Office poo poo, and starting programming and CS classes.

Also, while no one can predict this, how long would this manage before becoming woefully out of date? Does Apple have a typical support period for their computer hardware as well?

If you want that specific model, you'd be better finding one used on CL or ebay. The microcenter price is way too high for a preowned model, or even a new model that old.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

Also, while no one can predict this, how long would this manage before becoming woefully out of date?

We can. This is because it's now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:v: I don't know anything about macs.

What would be my best bet for a modern MBP at this point in time for my needs?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

IuniusBrutus posted:

Also, while no one can predict this, how long would this manage before becoming woefully out of date? Does Apple have a typical support period for their computer hardware as well?

There have been deals on MacBook Air 11's for like $700. Why not get that?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

fookolt posted:

There have been deals on MacBook Air 11's for like $700. Why not get that?

The screen was too small on the 11" air, and I liked the keyboard on the pro significantly more.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

IuniusBrutus posted:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE864LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

theadder posted:

We can. This is because it's now.

You tell 'em, bro... and keep on ignoring ME for doing the same...

IuniusBrutus posted:

The screen was too small on the 11" air, and I liked the keyboard on the pro significantly more.

The keyboard is exactly the same save for the top row, whose keys are used maybe 1% of the amount the other ones are used, if that. It doesn't change my typing flow at all. Was there another reason you don't like the keyboard? Just curious.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

One thing to add for Mac newbie IuniusBrutus: Once you buy that, you're gonna be stuck with that configuration. There is no way at all to upgrade the main memory. Depending on how long you will want to keep this and how your usage and the demands of software in general will develop over the years, 4 GB might be rear end. It's already pretty basic nowadays.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Best Buy is still doing $150 off all Macbooks if you're a student.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/College-Student-Deals/pcmcat276200050000.c?id=pcmcat276200050000

flavor posted:

The keyboard is exactly the same save for the top row, whose keys are used maybe 1% of the amount the other ones are used, if that. It doesn't change my typing flow at all. Was there another reason you don't like the keyboard? Just curious.

The key travel is much longer on the pro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flavor posted:

The keys in the MBPs/rMBPs have more travel and a resultantly plusher feel than the ones in the Airs. It's minor and you totally get used to it fast but I definitely noticed the difference in typing going from a MacBook to an Air to an rMBP over the last few years.

E: fb.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The keys in the MBPs/rMBPs have more travel and a resultantly plusher feel than the ones in the Airs. It's minor and you totally get used to it fast but I definitely noticed the difference in typing going from a MacBook to an Air to an rMBP over the last few years.

E: fb.

Bingo. The Air keys didn't feel bad per se....but I've been using Thinkpads, and I do a lot of writing, so I value a nice keyboard.

And I thought only the Airs had non-upgradeable RAM. Are the current pros unable to be upgraded as well? That is irritating if so.

How can I get the Best Buy education discount? And how would a new non-Retina MBP do with 8gb of RAM in terms of longevity?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The non-retina MBPs have upgradeable RAM.

I don't like the retinas for this reason, but I'm pretty alone in this thread on that one.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Thanks for the iMac advice on the last page dudes

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

flavor posted:

One thing to add for Mac newbie IuniusBrutus: Once you buy that, you're gonna be stuck with that configuration. There is no way at all to upgrade the main memory. Depending on how long you will want to keep this and how your usage and the demands of software in general will develop over the years, 4 GB might be rear end. It's already pretty basic nowadays.

I would certainly go for the 8 GB / 256 SSD config, but given that he was already looking at a $300 cheaper and far slower computer I sorta figured this would be stretching his budget enough already. Memory compression plus the SSD should keep it pretty usable with 4 GB even into the future IMO.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

I would certainly go for the 8 GB / 256 SSD config, but given that he was already looking at a $300 cheaper and far slower computer I sorta figured this would be stretching his budget enough already. Memory compression plus the SSD should keep it pretty usable with 4 GB even into the future IMO.

I'm not going to make budget assumptions based on such questions. I've seen affluent people be really cheap with things they're not interested in, and that guy hasn't done any research on his own, so I wouldn't rule that out.

In a CS context there may arise the need to run virtual machines or Windows via BootCamp or whatever, so 4/128 is already pretty underpowered right now.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bingo. The Air keys didn't feel bad per se....but I've been using Thinkpads, and I do a lot of writing, so I value a nice keyboard.

And I thought only the Airs had non-upgradeable RAM. Are the current pros unable to be upgraded as well? That is irritating if so.

How can I get the Best Buy education discount? And how would a new non-Retina MBP do with 8gb of RAM in terms of longevity?
Retina MacBook Pros are basically MacBook Airs with more powerful hardware, better screens and more connectivity options. Same design principle of everything soldered together where possible to make them thin and light. The only thing in a retina MBP that is 'upgradeable' (if you want to call it that) is the SSD but they're on custom wafers anyway and while you can buy them from OWC they're about the same price as buying them from Apple.

I don't know how far your can stretch your budget but the 8GB/256GB config Choadmaster mentioned is usually available on the refurb store for a very reasonable price (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE865LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5 - $1269 if you're in the US) and will likely last you a while.

I'd strongly recommend against buying a new non-retina MBP. They're only available as 13" with an awful 1280x800 screen, they're a generation behind hardware wise, the battery life is not great and they come with a mechanical HDD. 8GB of RAM won't do much to help because you're stuck with the mechanical HDD (and if you upgrade that to a SSD you're talking about the price range of the refurb rMBP anyway).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is still doing $150 off all Macbooks if you're a student.

In any event I'd get AppleCare over any warranty extension Best Buy has to offer.

Pivo posted:

I don't like the retinas for this reason, but I'm pretty alone in this thread on that one.

There's a difference between what I like and what I'd recommend to other people. I understand about the expandability, but it's just clunky old tech with a severely inferior display compared to a rMBP. And most people I've seen staid with their original configurations on the old-type MBPs because frankly, they're way too superficial in these things, and the guy asking here sounds about the same, no offense (and maybe he'll prove us different).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

I definitely preferred having the RAM (and HD/SSD) be upgradable, but with the rise in DRAM costs the last few years it's not really that bad to simply max out the RAM on the Airs/Retinas and be done with it. Personally I just preferred replaceable components because I like to tinker on all my systems.

flavor posted:

In any event I'd get AppleCare over any warranty extension Best Buy has to offer.
Definitely this and, if someone is able to qualify for the educational discount due to still being in school or being faculty/staff, they can also pickup AppleCare at a considerable discount through the college computer store if the store sells Macs (or otherwise find someone who is in school and can buy it).

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 2, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have no issue spending extra - this is just very thoroughly an appliance computer for me, and I don't want to drop more than I need. Currently the main windows laptop I'm looking at is a t440s at around $1200 soooo-

I also don't care if the RAM isn't user serviceable, so long as I can get an adequate amount when I purchase it. It was only a concern for the one because it came with just 4gb.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Currently the main windows laptop I'm looking at is a t440s at around $1200 soooo-

I also don't care if the RAM isn't user serviceable, so long as I can get an adequate amount when I purchase it. It was only a concern for the one because it came with just 4gb.

Sounds like a refurbished 13.3" i5 rMBP with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD would be perfect for you!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Need help! I'm about to order the imac thanks to the new student promo, and am debating between the 256gb solid state drive vs the 3tb fusion drive.

My priority is longevity, performance, and repairability, in that order. That coupled with the fact that I would like to boot camp to play steam games ( can't use the SSD portion if I do this) makes the fusion drive pointless. Any advice for someone Ina similar debacle?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I definitely preferred having the RAM (and HD/SSD) be upgradable, but with the rise in DRAM costs

I had kinda noticed that a little bit, is there no competition or is it like with hard disks, where 95% of the world's production is made in two factories in Thailand that are 2 miles apart and then get hit by the same tsunami, which then is used as an excuse for the next 3 years or similar?

SourKraut posted:

Personally I just preferred replaceable components because I like to tinker on all my systems.

I understand, but I tinker on gaming PCs and use Macs for reliability. Also, on a PC desktop tower I can switch out virtually everything including motherboards and CPUs, whereas on an old MBP you're done tinkering once you've maxed out the memory and the hard disk (and possibly replaced the DVD drive with another disk).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bonobos posted:

longevity, performance, and repairability

Get AppleCare and you've taken care of the first and the third. The repairability of an iMac is great when you take it to an Apple Store. Otherwise it's not.

The performance of the 256 GB SSD is going to be slightly better, but you may not be able to have your OS X installation, Windows installation and all your games on it. (BootCamp can only boot from the internal disk.)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

flavor posted:

I had kinda noticed that a little bit, is there no competition or is it like with hard disks, where 95% of the world's production is made in two factories in Thailand that are 2 miles apart and then get hit by the same tsunami, which then is used as an excuse for the next 3 years or similar?

It started off as a slight increase when Hynix had a fire at one of their factories, but it largely was due to the really low prices causing many manufacturers to switch production over to NAND flash where demand was higher, ultimately resulting in less supply and the logical rise in costs as a result. With so much focus on NAND now for tablets, phones, SSDs, etc., it's unlikely there will be a large push back for DRAM production. Commercial availability of DDR4 won't help matters either as that will take time to ramp up with high costs also.

TL;dr: Mobile device demand has largely borked the DRAM market and continued migration from DRAM systems to NAND systems will keep prices high for a long, long time.

quote:

I understand, but I tinker on gaming PCs and use Macs for reliability. Also, on a PC desktop tower I can switch out virtually everything including motherboards and CPUs, whereas on an old MBP you're done tinkering once you've maxed out the memory and the hard disk (and possibly replaced the DVD drive with another disk).
Oh I've swapped out motherboards, displays, etc. on my MBPs too once out of warranty just for the fun of it. Finding various parts on eBay is great!

(But yeah, for the most part it is pretty boring to just be limited to RAM and the HDD/SSD on the older MBPs).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

fire at one of their factories

So I guessed right, mostly, thanks.

Switching out motherboards on your old MBPs is more hardcore than me, respect!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeast posted:

They crossfire under Windows, but not OS X

In OS X, one drives the display, while the other runs computation in apps that support it.
From the WWDC session on it here at around 45:50 it sounds like the secondary GPU can be used for drawing too, OS X takes the result and composites them together on the primary (screen driving) GPU. There's overhead there but I wonder how much, like if it'd be possible to have a VM or game use the secondary GPU and not share drawing resources with everything else running.

Bonobos posted:

Need help! I'm about to order the imac thanks to the new student promo, and am debating between the 256gb solid state drive vs the 3tb fusion drive.

My priority is longevity, performance, and repairability, in that order. That coupled with the fact that I would like to boot camp to play steam games ( can't use the SSD portion if I do this) makes the fusion drive pointless. Any advice for someone Ina similar debacle?
I thought someone said they broke the Fusion setup and partitioned the SSD for Boot Camp and made a new Fusion setup with the remaining partition...but I could be remembering that completely wrong.

flavor posted:

Get AppleCare and you've taken care of the first and the third. The repairability of an iMac is great when you take it to an Apple Store. Otherwise it's not.

The performance of the 256 GB SSD is going to be slightly better, but you may not be able to have your OS X installation, Windows installation and all your games on it. (BootCamp can only boot from the internal disk.)
I'm not sure when it changed but I remember people getting it working off Thunderbolt a while back, like so:
http://dadhacks.dadpower.net/post/47998058347/set-up-bootcamp-on-an-external-thunderbolt-drive

And I guess USB might work too now?:
http://twocanoes.com/winclone/support/migrate-windows-8-to-an-external-drive-using-winclone-4.3-and-later

Well you still need the internal drive at some point to install Windows/run Boot Camp in the first place, if that's what you meant.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

japtor posted:

I'm not sure when it changed but I remember people getting it working off Thunderbolt a while back, like so:
http://dadhacks.dadpower.net/post/47998058347/set-up-bootcamp-on-an-external-thunderbolt-drive

And I guess USB might work too now?:
http://twocanoes.com/winclone/support/migrate-windows-8-to-an-external-drive-using-winclone-4.3-and-later

Well you still need the internal drive at some point to install Windows/run Boot Camp in the first place, if that's what you meant.

I didn't know about these other solutions, which both require Winclone (which is of course not a major obstacle at $29.99). According to their documentation, you'll also need EFI 2.0 or greater (which a new iMac would have, but not every older Mac does). Also you'll need to install Windows on the internal disk first and then move it to the external one.

So it's doable but not 100% straightforward for everyone and in every situation. Also it's not officially supported (thought I have no real doubts it'll work).

Anyway, thanks, didn't know about that!

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
My new Mid-2014 MacBook Air 11" arrived a couple of hours ago, and I have to say, I'm in love with this thing. The last (and first) MacBook I owned was a 2007(?) Black plastic unibody model, this thing feels like something from the distant future by comparison.

Anyway, I came here to say that when I was doing a lot of research on this thing before I pulled the trigger, the thing that kept coming up again and again was about the display being a 'lovely TN panel' etc. Gotta say, the display is pretty beautiful. What is it that everyone hates about this thing? It's no retina display by any means, but I am MORE than happy with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Linx posted:

Anyway, I came here to say that when I was doing a lot of research on this thing before I pulled the trigger, the thing that kept coming up again and again was about the display being a 'lovely TN panel' etc. Gotta say, the display is pretty beautiful. What is it that everyone hates about this thing? It's no retina display by any means, but I am MORE than happy with it.

It's not a bad display by any means- it's probably one of, if not the, best TN panels on the market available in a notebook- but it's still limited by its tech in terms of viewing angles, color accuracy, and PPI.

As far as it being "lovely," I think that characterization comes from the fact that there are better displays available in competitively-priced notebooks nowadays (this is less true following the most recent MBA price drop). Before the price drop, a 13" rMBP wasn't as much of a relative cost hike. There are also a lot of Windows ultrabooks on the market now with IPS and high-density displays.

It's not something that you really notice in a vacuum, and I've had an MBA for 3 years and felt pretty similar to the way you have but the display in an rMBP just blows it clear out of the water.

I'm definitely a firm believer in retina/hi-DPI being the standard of the future and I think that anyone looking for a new notebook to last them a few years would be best served going with a computer that includes it though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

That's a 2011 model. Biggest drawback is no USB 3.0

I'd pay...$550 tops for one of those.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If you have a 2011 notebook without USB 3 and you have external storage speed woes, The Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter, the same one that comes with this 1TB HDD for $139, lets you jack in any 2.5" drive or connect any SATA / eSATA (w/ a $2 cable) drive. I'm at a new job with a bunch of external eSATA disk arrays since they have old Mac Pros without a fiber network, and I'm connecting to them with this GoFlex adapter using my rMBP.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

flavor posted:

I didn't know about these other solutions, which both require Winclone (which is of course not a major obstacle at $29.99). According to their documentation, you'll also need EFI 2.0 or greater (which a new iMac would have, but not every older Mac does). Also you'll need to install Windows on the internal disk first and then move it to the external one.

So it's doable but not 100% straightforward for everyone and in every situation. Also it's not officially supported (thought I have no real doubts it'll work).

Anyway, thanks, didn't know about that!

It's also possible to break the logical Fusion drive into it's SSD and HDD components and then partition the SSD into two 60GB partitions. Windows can be installed on the second 60GB partition. It loving flies. This is the route I've taken. It's great. I have a disk image with WinClone that I can roll out in < 10 minutes every time I need Windows.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Anyone have opinions on the best performance/value on any of the flush SD adapters/drives available now?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD212LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macBook-Pro-25ghz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-retina-Display

Or something else? Looking at price/performance for a friend who just edits small youtube videos in Final Cut. I presume 8 gigs of RAM is necessary, but what about the olde CPU and flash? HD4000 or Iris matter much for FCP?

I know they're going to refresh the new ones soon, but she's not waiting.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine most people would tell you this is the sweet spot for rMBPs: http://www.refurb.me/us/notebook/macbook_pro_retina/FE865

From what I've heard, the Iris fits the retina display much better than the HD 4000, and you get double the SSD space along with it.

Useful Idiot
Jun 11, 2009
I recently ordered a 13" MacBook Air 128GB with 8GB memory and since it hasn't arrived yet, I've been thinking if I'd be better off with the 13" Pro. I was actually going to change my order, but then I noticed that MacRumours recommends to wait and now I'm not really sure what to do.

The laptop would be mainly used for programming. My old laptop had a resolution of 1366x768 and I thought it was fine for most programming related tasks (some IDEs could get a bit cramped tho), so I don't think I'd have too many issues with the Air.

I don't have an immediate need for the laptop, but I need it at least before the next semester starts (which would be in roughly two months), and I certainly wouldn't mind getting it even before that. Would buying the Pro be a bad choice right now? Also, is the Pro more quiet under load than the Air? All I really want from my next laptop is for it to be small, quiet and for it to last a good long while (I had my previous laptop for three years, so I'm expecting my next purchase to last at least as long, hopefully longer).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Useful Idiot posted:

then I noticed that MacRumours recommends to wait and now I'm not really sure what to do.

I don't have an immediate need for the laptop, but I need it at least before the next semester starts (which would be in roughly two months), and I certainly wouldn't mind getting it even before that. Would buying the Pro be a bad choice right now?

There are no new Intel processors until late this year or early next year. The MBAs were recently updated, but performance was almost identical to the 2013 models because they use the same CPU generation. The only real change was a price drop. This is about what you might expect out of an rMBP update.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought they were planning to pop in Broadwells into the rMBPs by the end of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I thought they were planning to pop in Broadwells into the rMBPs by the end of the year?

Mobile Broadwell should release sometime between the end of the Back-to-School period and the start of the Holiday season. With the updates often happened in October I would imagine the entire Apple mobile Mqc lineup plus even maybe the Mini could be updated.