Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

Also I think shape does matter in Star Trek because subspace or something? I'm probably just remembering something a writer pulled out for a single episode though.

That's just the "in-universe" post-hoc justification for it. I know it comes up in the TNG Tech Manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Klingon ships make most sense. Crew module at one end, long trunk, reactor and dangerous poo poo at the other.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

No, those never got past concept art. They do have a couple with holes through the neck, including the... siiiiiiigh... Enterprise-F.

That ship poops a shuttle. That's what the in game graphics look like. I giggle every time I see it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

Klingon ships make most sense. Crew module at one end, long trunk, reactor and dangerous poo poo at the other.

Except that the crew sat atop a giant energy cannon that, if it overloaded, would probably kill everyone in the crew module.

Of course, that does sound particularly Klingon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Online does have some decent looking Klingon ships, too.

Not as bad as some of the old Fed ships, of course they're newer designs, too. Shame more people don't play as KDF.

V-Men posted:

Except that the crew sat atop a giant energy cannon that, if it overloaded, would probably kill everyone in the crew module.

Of course, that does sound particularly Klingon.

That's why the Vor'Cha is the pinnacle of Klingon ship design. It's lean and mean, it looks tough. But it also looks advanced, since it has visible deflectors and warp nacelles with lights in them. You look at the model, and eventually you notice the separation line between the head and the neck.

And if you think about it, you realize that the head is the opposite of a Starfleet ship's saucer section. The saucer separates to get the crew away from the warp core if it is about to explode, to save them. The Vor'cha's head separates to get the disruptors and torpedo launchers away from the warp core if it is about to explode... because you may still need those. gently caress the rest of the crew.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 3, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FuturePastNow posted:

Shame more people don't play as KDF.

Please tell me that stands for Klingon Defense Force. I want to believe that, at random, there is a Klingon version of the English Defense League.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vagabundo posted:

Into Darkness sits somewhere in the middle of the pack and gently caress you if you think it's worse than Final Frontier, Nemesis or Insurrection.

And at least it gets to where it's headed to at a reasonable pace. It takes, like, 3 weeks for anything interesting to happen in TMP and all the shots of Kirk eye-loving the Enterprise does not change the fact that the film has some serious pacing issues.
Amen, that's exactly my position. Insurrection is completely pointless. Final Frontier is garbage other than the Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments. Nemesis is a giant pile of crap and a terrible send off for the Enterprise crew I grew up with. STID is a mess but it at leafs has good pacing and some interesting ideas. It's really just anything in the movie related to WoK that sucks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Please tell me that stands for Klingon Defense Force. I want to believe that, at random, there is a Klingon version of the English Defense League.

It does. It also includes a bunch of non-Klingon races like Orions, Gorn, Letheans and Nausicaans. Because I guess they had to have a bunch of races instead of just Klingons.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Data Graham posted:

That's because a "saucer section" is a ridiculous idea to begin with. Shape doesn't matter in space, but in the 60s people though "flying saucer" was a cool spacey thing to tie into, so hey, hybrid of ungainly round thing and swoopy straight thing equals something nobody has ever seen before and looks loving alien and totally impractical but kinda cool at the same time. But now it's all "Oh we have to make it look aerodynamic for marketing reasons or whatever, oh but don't lose sight of the 'saucer' tradition because that's our brand too, I dunno, fuckit".

I think the Borg ship from Descent is right up your alley then, that thing owns hard.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

To be fair calling them the Klingon Defence Force is canon, quite a few countries call their armed forces similar things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It happened in the Shatner book where some Romulans secretly working with the Borg conspire to resurrect James T. Kirk and he's totally the most ultimate awesome badass ever

I thought so. Man, that book was a trip. Borg hypercube, anyone?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Brawnfire posted:

It had an extra spacial dimension?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

That's because a "saucer section" is a ridiculous idea to begin with. Shape doesn't matter in space,

Shape does matter in space, not in terms of aerodynamics, but there are plenty of factors why your ship would be a certain shape. Structural integrity, ease of construction, to name a couple.

Lowen SoDium posted:

It had an extra spacial dimension?

That's how advanced it is.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 3, 2014

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Klingon Defense Force is a canon name, and I am certain the writer who first made it up knew exactly how ironic it was to call the Klingon military a "defense force."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Subyng posted:

Shape does matter in space, not in terms of aerodynamics, but there are plenty of factors why your ship would be a certain shape. Structural integrity, ease of construction, to name a couple.

True enough, but that being the case, isn't "several heavy massive bulbous parts swinging around each other and exerting motive force while attached to each other by tiny brittle stalks" just about the worst design conceivable?

I mean ease of construction, I guess, just tug it into place and bolt it on...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Data Graham posted:

True enough, but that being the case, isn't "several heavy massive bulbous parts swinging around each other and exerting motive force while attached to each other by tiny brittle stalks" just about the worst design conceivable?

I mean ease of construction, I guess, just tug it into place and bolt it on...
It depends how they exert the force, they're obviously not just rockets or else they'd probably put them in the very back. The doubletalk seems to be that they warp space (hence the name) and presumably the ship just kind of happy-asses along the distorted chunk of spacetime at hilarious effective speeds. Having them slightly detatched seems like it would be bad for them getting damaged, but it would also make them relatively easy to replace if one did get hosed up, which might be more desirable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If Kerbal Space Program has taught me anything, it's that with a spaceship you want as few dangly bits sticking out all over the place as possible, with your thrusters as close to the axis of the ship as possible.

Of course, according to the TNG Technical manual, the Enterprise apparently is half made of structural integrity forcefields, so it seems that they can ignore the fact that the ship would twirl around in a circle if they activated the impulse drives.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kibayasu posted:

I think he even beats up Worf at some point because everybody has to beat up Worf.

Garak knocked the poo poo out of Worf. But probably was disgusted with himself for having to do so.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

Garak knocked the poo poo out of Worf. But probably was disgusted with himself for having to do so.

Are you talking about that bit where Garak tried to get the Defiant to fire on the Founders' planet and Worf caught him? Worf won that one, just got caught off guard at the start.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
That's the ugliest drat bong I've ever seen

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trickjaw posted:

Well to be fair if Garak really wanted to kill Worf, he'd have done it before Worf could even finish his Klingon platitude of the day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If Garak wanted Worf dead, he'd have used the 10,000-year-old Cardassian assassin's art, which involves acupressure... as well as virulent toxins delivered in secret to paralyze the diaphragm and heart.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DS9 has taught us that assassins don't like varying their methods. Past Prologue established that Garak knows a lot about explosives. Garak blew up his shop in Improbable Cause. And Garak blew up Vreenak's shuttle in In the Pale Moonlight.

Garak is a plain, simple tailor who likes bombs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brawnfire posted:

It never made sense why the Borg would ally with the Romulans instead of, you know, just assimilating them?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

It never made sense why the Borg would ally with the Romulans instead of, you know, just assimilating them?

Janeway taught them how. It's her fault.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A giant greebly cube is intimidating. Everyone's ships look like ships, for the most part. Saucers with tubes bolted on, or big old spacegoing handguns, or even artsy fartsy birdlike deals, but all recognizable in some ineffable way as ships. Even spheres aren't that bad; they make sense from a physics standpoint and heck, the federation sometimes bolts on a couple of tubes to a sphere and calls it spaceworthy. But loving nobody does cubes. The Borg don't have to build em that way, they do it because gently caress you. It's flying geometry and it's creepy.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

FuturePastNow posted:

DS9 has taught us that assassins don't like varying their methods. Past Prologue established that Garak knows a lot about explosives. Garak blew up his shop in Improbable Cause. And Garak blew up Vreenak's shuttle in In the Pale Moonlight.

Garak is a plain, simple tailor who likes bombs.

And shooting people when they don't quite expect it. I think Garak just uses what's most expedient, a bomb in his shop was a clear, undeniable murder attempt that he could arrange to survive, and there were multiple reasons for blowing up Vreenak's shuttle. He's basically too pragmatic to be hooked on one method of murder, not to mention it would make him predictable and he would despise that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That confrontation between Odo and Garak is one of my favourite scenes in all of Trek. I think because Auberjonois and Robinson actually talk over one another, which is so rare in film and TV.

:mad:"YOU BLEW UP YOUR OWN SHOP!"

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Borg have shown on multiple occasions that they are fully capable of using diplomacy when dealing with other species. They initially tried to have Locutus/Picard try and explain to everyone why assimilation was a good thing and they made Data an incredibly good offer they thought he couldn't refuse in First Conflict. However they are pretty terrible at it and once they get whatever it is they want, well it's back to assimilation time.

As for making a deal with the Romulans, why the hell not. Get some support from the Romulans, use less forces to assimilate the Federation, the assimilate the Romulans anyways. All good.

No the problem with that book wasn't the Romulan/Borg alliance, it was

Lets resurrect Kirk to try and kill Picard because Picard might know where the secret lever is that will destroy the Borg collective.

Cause sending something like a Borg assassination drone armed with a personal cloaking device or something would have been too much effort, it's better to bring back Kirk.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
The Borg had seen inside Picard's head and they knew there were only two things that could possibly stop him, just be glad they were too scared to assimilate Lwaxana Troi, the entire Alpha quadrant would have been married in a month.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What always always cheesed me out about the Borg was that if they are so obsessed with efficiency and perfection, why do they have tubes and bits and bobs hanging out all over the place that can easily be grabbed or get caught on something? Why are their ships so covered in girders and open holes and exposed pipe fittings? Wouldn't it be more efficient to make the cube a solid mass of machinery, and instead have the biological component of the cube be some kind of internal liquid slurry?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

What always always cheesed me out about the Borg was that if they are so obsessed with efficiency and perfection, why do they have tubes and bits and bobs hanging out all over the place that can easily be grabbed or get caught on something? Why are their ships so covered in girders and open holes and exposed pipe fittings? Wouldn't it be more efficient to make the cube a solid mass of machinery, and instead have the biological component of the cube be some kind of internal liquid slurry?

That was kinda the flaw with giving them the level of nanotechnology that they did. Before they did that, biological creatures have massive advantages over soley machines, but nanotech throws a lot of that advantage out the window.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Your biological distinctiveness will be added to--hey wait, all you guys have the same basic genetic code, even the reptile men and the dudes with copper-based blood. Y'all can even interbreed! What the gently caress you assholes trying to pull?

gently caress you guys, we're going home.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So all this talk about the goofy-rear end Star Trek Online ships and how ugly they are reminded me of a quick and dirty Photoshop I made of the JJprise. I generally like the design (I'm a huge fan of the giant gently caress-off nacelles), but I maintain the ship would look about a hundred times better if the "neck" were moved forward. Thoughts?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I want the nacelles in the front, with the saucer way behind the two.

Like a podracer.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Timby posted:

So all this talk about the goofy-rear end Star Trek Online ships and how ugly they are reminded me of a quick and dirty Photoshop I made of the JJprise. I generally like the design (I'm a huge fan of the giant gently caress-off nacelles), but I maintain the ship would look about a hundred times better if the "neck" were moved forward. Thoughts?

That or if they secondary hull was longer. I kind of like that the deflector sticks out farther in the JJ-Enterprise, but I hate that the neck is set so far back.

If the Secondary hull was longer, it would leave the part I liked and fix the part I hate.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Any rearrangement of these parts into something less downsy looking will inevitably result in the TMP refit. Good eye, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You're right in that the biggest flaw is the 'underbite' where the engineering hull protrudes forward of the neck. There are several ways you could solve it... move the whole neck/saucer forward, make the front of the neck come down more vertically... it's just a really dumb thing that breaks up the flow of the whole design.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I don't think you're the first one to suggest it, but I agree that that would be a very positive change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm one of the people that absolutely loves how the neck is far back on the JJprise and hate all suggestions to move it back to the front. The positioning of the elements of the JJprise makes the design feel more balanced.

• Locked thread