Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

Perhaps next time out I should just try hand-launching with only partial throttle. Maybe that's my whole problem.

Put some up elevator trim on when you launch as well. May as well overdo it as it porposing on launch will at least be an improvement to nosediving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

rotaryfun posted:

Got my amazon box in for my ProtoX, only to find that instead of a ProtoX they sent me what looks like a cheap knock off. The CX Model CX033 (http://www.amazon.com/CX-Model-CX033-Nano-Heli/dp/B00KQX48NQ). I've already setup a return/replacement order with amazon but took it out of the box to test it out anyway. Found that the cover has a broken tab and the battery was popped off the control board and that one of the props was off the motor and seems to have a crack running down the length of the propeller body.

Anyway, put the prop and body back on, started it up and took off. It's all over the place and as soon as I "landed" the prop came off again.

Sucks, I was excited to open that box but ah well, 2 more days to wait. I've decided that waiting is actually what the hobby of RC is all about.

So I just got my replacement ProtoX in and it seems that this is what they are sending out now when you buy the ProtoX. It's in a CX033 box (same that I originally got), but it has a ProtoX inventory sticker on it. So I don't know. I was able to fly this one and it was very stable. The controller isn't so hot but it is what it is. Was able to fly around the office, so that's cool. Nice new office toy.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
My latest project is a 275mm Y6 multirotor, Hex-y. It's running Cobra 2204 1960kv motors, 12amp MRSS ESCs, Naze32, and 5.8ghz FPV with a PZ0420. It's not supposed to be indestructible or to set world speed records, but instead to be a stable and powerful, compact platform to carry an integrated brushless gimbal with a GoPro or Mobius.

I got some local help with the initial design and also laser time :D Final version will be .060" G10, but this prototype is .125" birch plywood.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Definitely post some video of that thing flying. Looks like a substantial beast. Only thing I wonder is how it will do in wind considering the tall sides.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, 450 g with tall sides like that might get a little unsteady when it gusts. My quad on the HAL 585mm frame is...900 g? 1200 with battery? It's pretty steady in the wind, even with the R2D2 dome on top, but it doesn't have the same broad, flat sides you've got there.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
We shall see. I've actually noticed that the mini MRs perform way better in high winds than you might think. Some of my friends 250 quads don't even seem to notice the wind. It could be the small cross-section like you guys are saying, but I've seen some minis with nearly as much side area once you add a Mobius and battery on top. I'm hoping to have the FPV maiden later today, but the only 3S 2200 batteries I have are at least 2 years old and I might not get more than 3-4 minutes of flight on each one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I hope the weather keeps up here, Got some amazing Water Ski footage last weekend and hope to get a ton more along with all the other stuff going on at our private lake this weekend.
Live band, BBQ Potluck, tons of water sports, it should be fun and make for some excellent footage. In ATTI mode the P2 can easily keep up with barefooting too. :getin:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That thing looks great Vitamin J. Its cool to see a different take on mini multis rather than a flat hquad with some risers and plates.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I like it. But those speed cotrols look like they're going to get cooked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just finished up the build of my HK Q450 quad. It was a decently easy build over a couple nights. Already really loving the KK board for its simplicity. Also already can tell that I'll need to replace the bottom of the barrel HK motors I ordered with something better, you can just feel that the bearings are not that great.

Also the HK props are not perfectly balanceable because the hubs are drilled off-center slightly :pwn:

Either way, for now its good. Had the first "can this thing get off the ground" maiden in my garage tonight. The answer is "yes, when the motors are hooked up in the right order", which they werent at first.

Looking forward to maidening it for real this weekend.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also the HK props are not perfectly balanceable because the hubs are drilled off-center slightly :pwn:

You should replace those props asap. The vibrations will make the flight controller perform no where near as well as it would if they are smooth. Good luck with the maiden.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did a real maiden today. Maidened it with auto level on. That was a mistake. It was drifting like crazy and I had to fight to get it anywhere.

I turned the auto level off and it flew much better. I'll see if I can calibrate it some more, because I do see auto level being useful.

It yaws pretty slow and tends to overshoot the yaw. Any recommendations for adjusting that out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkcqgpZJCw

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did a real maiden today. Maidened it with auto level on. That was a mistake. It was drifting like crazy and I had to fight to get it anywhere.

I turned the auto level off and it flew much better. I'll see if I can calibrate it some more, because I do see auto level being useful.

It yaws pretty slow and tends to overshoot the yaw. Any recommendations for adjusting that out?

Sounds like you need to adjust stick scaling for yaw and possibly some PID tuning: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/181270330X7478X47.pdf

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

That thing looks great Vitamin J. Its cool to see a different take on mini multis rather than a flat hquad with some risers and plates.
Thanks man, I really have to give credit to my buddy Derrick (his sn on FPVLab) and his Kestrel mini quad design. He used vertical side plates and spacers to make an ingenious and super light mini quad frame. He's also working on the Orion capsule at Lockheed so that doesn't hurt.

Nerobro posted:

I like it. But those speed cotrols look like they're going to get cooked.
I thought you were right on the money after the FPV maiden. I was having weird issues on my 2nd battery with what seemed like lockouts and thought maybe an overcooked ESC BEC. It turned out to be an intermittent fault between the naze32 and RX, I diagnosed by tapping on the FC and watching the RX led go on and off.

Installed Flip 2.5 last night and remaidened today. All is good now. Using 4S power now and it's crazy. Flies with a 4S 5000 and hovers at half throttle! It's crazy. Hopefully vids soon, but just moved and no internet. ESCs never really got what I thought was too hot. On a 4S 2800 it hovered at quarter-throttle and nothing go warm. On your post I decided to remove the BEC from 5 of the ESCs and use the top rear motor BEC, I'm thinking that motor has the least load on it and the ESC is more roomy.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 6, 2014

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
BF-109 Funfighter and FliteTest P-51 scrap build ready for their maidens. Can't wait!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dammit I did this last week at a event near my town our Church was putting on. Not quite as in the explosion as this guy but still impressive.

Next year. :argh:

Or New Years.. :toot:

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Yesterday I purchased a Hubsan X4 expecting it to help train me on piloting while I wait a few weeks. Does it maneuver like a DJI Phantom? ...I probably should have asked this before I purchased it.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit I did this last week at a event near my town our Church was putting on. Not quite as in the explosion as this guy but still impressive.

Next year. :argh:

Or New Years.. :toot:
Maybe you don't want to...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/04/video-shows-drone-flying-through-fireworks/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man, before you know it only the government will be allowed to fly with a camera. While I understand where the laws/regs are coming from, I feel that some of this is a bit overkill and a Drone as small as a Phantom, and at the correct height not to be a hazard to the mortar traveling near 80%+ its correct detonation height, then it shouldn't be over a populated area anyway (usually the fireworks don't explode directly over a Crowd).

But it will only take one asshat who will fly his drone right above the Launchpad and right over it as a mortar comes out, hits the drone, and causes the rest of the display to go up... :negative:

The Risk Averse world we live in is a downer though for all things aviation alone.

^And to answer above, yes the Hubsan X4 will give you a good idea of how a larger drone will fly, however it will be much more difficult as the Larger drones like a phantom are technically more stable due to size and the more advanced controllers, etc.

If you get to piloting the Hubsan really well, you will fly a phantom quite good as well. The Hubsan flys similar to a Phantom in ATTI mode, but with manual throttle.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I find my Estes protoX to be easier to fly than my q450 with kk 2.1.

Probably because it's significantly less likely to severely injure me/others.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

^And to answer above, yes the Hubsan X4 will give you a good idea of how a larger drone will fly, however it will be much more difficult as the Larger drones like a phantom are technically more stable due to size and the more advanced controllers, etc.

Thanks.

Anything I should read up on before I dive in headfirst tomorrow when my Hubsan arrives? I have it shipping to my office where quite colleagues are expert level pilots so hopefully it's not so much of a clusterfuck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

You should replace those props asap. The vibrations will make the flight controller perform no where near as well as it would if they are smooth. Good luck with the maiden.

Uh you werent kidding. I stopped by the LHS after work today and picked up a set of APC Multicopter props in 10x4.5

They were all really really close to being perfectly balanced out of the box, but I taped them anyway because the :spergin: in me could not let them go slightly unbalanced. I tried a hover with them on and its like a different quad already, much more stable and a ton quieter.

The only thing I dont like is APC feels the need to file their props to a razors edge before they leave the factory. I never understood that, even when I flew APC props on my planes I felt like I had to be extra careful around them because they were so sharp.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Customfresh posted:

Thanks.

Anything I should read up on before I dive in headfirst tomorrow when my Hubsan arrives? I have it shipping to my office where quite colleagues are expert level pilots so hopefully it's not so much of a clusterfuck.

Not sure what to read, maybe hit up a few YouTube videos flying quads for beginners. Also hopefully you got a Crash Kit and Prop Guard with it as you are going to crash, and you are going to break a prop or two unless you fly in an open field. Just take it slow and get used to the orientation of the drone based on the lights. Try flying it first facing away from you so it is natural, then work on flying it facing left, right, and toward you to get used to the way the controls change and how your mind handles it.

And flying it outside is way more fun then inside. the X4 can flat zip and it has been a fantastic Dog Walking tool as well. I got to get some of the video edited and posted on Youtube of that. :smugdog:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Man, before you know it only the government will be allowed to fly with a camera. While I understand where the laws/regs are coming from, I feel that some of this is a bit overkill and a Drone as small as a Phantom, and at the correct height not to be a hazard to the mortar traveling near 80%+ its correct detonation height, then it shouldn't be over a populated area anyway (usually the fireworks don't explode directly over a Crowd).

But it will only take one asshat who will fly his drone right above the Launchpad and right over it as a mortar comes out, hits the drone, and causes the rest of the display to go up... :negative:

The Risk Averse world we live in is a downer though for all things aviation alone.
Yeah I hope it will go to court and some things are made clear. Courts have already ruled that the FAA's FARs are not applicable to model aircraft, so with a similar line of thinking there could be a defense in this case. However the biggest problem, IMO, is the fireworks show was under a USCG Safety Zone (or whatever) and therefor was off limits to all unapproved behavior, which could include not only a drone but presumably anything non-natural. During the BP blowout the Safety Zones were used to restrict aircraft, which is another big legal hurdle.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I maidened my Hex-y on 4S, made for a pretty cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OY6FQkbmUg

Check it out flying on only 5 props:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgvmjK5CNjM

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's awesome. How much did the whole thing run you? I'm thinking of saving up to put together a mini FPV setup.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Arcturas posted:

That's awesome. How much did the whole thing run you? I'm thinking of saving up to put together a mini FPV setup.

Looks like somewhere in the $400-500 range. Motors, ESCs, mobius camera, video TX, antennas add up to ~$350 not including tax, FPV board cam, flight controller, frame, radio RX, props, wires, etc.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 8, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was tryin to be a Good RC Person and learn to use manual on my phantom 2. They treat manual mode like you have a regular, non spring centered throttle, which is really loving surprising when you switch from atti to that!

I also stuck some LEDs and some landing gear zip ties to my syma x1 last night, after my friend promptly lost my previous syma in someone's backyard during 4th of july.

I'm kinda interested in making my own now. I'd like to do something faster and/or more acrobatic. I don't know if I'd want to go with a quad or a tricopter though (or really where to start in general). Any help would be appreciated.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I was tryin to be a Good RC Person and learn to use manual on my phantom 2. They treat manual mode like you have a regular, non spring centered throttle, which is really loving surprising when you switch from atti to that!

I also stuck some LEDs and some landing gear zip ties to my syma x1 last night, after my friend promptly lost my previous syma in someone's backyard during 4th of july.

I'm kinda interested in making my own now. I'd like to do something faster and/or more acrobatic. I don't know if I'd want to go with a quad or a tricopter though (or really where to start in general). Any help would be appreciated.

Cant go wrong with any of the ~250 sized H quad frames out there. 2000 - 2300kv motors, 12a escs, naze32 flight controller. 4s with 1960kv cobras 2204s are serving me pretty well.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Just got my FrSky Taranis and I'm currently building the FT Delta and the FT Viggen. I'm still waiting for parts from China to complete the birds (esc, batteries and servos), it's been three weeks now so they ought to drop in any day now.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Cant go wrong with any of the ~250 sized H quad frames out there. 2000 - 2300kv motors, 12a escs, naze32 flight controller. 4s with 1960kv cobras 2204s are serving me pretty well.

Is there a difference between x and h frames beyond holding more poo poo? I was kinda looking at the hobbyking fpv250 (or fpv250lh) frame (though I might be quickly disappointed with such a cheap frame; prices seem to vary wildly in this size)

edit: this was another frame that looked appealing http://www.ecksstore.se/#!frames/cs0c

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ordered one of these last week from HK and its out for delivery today and I cant wait to nerd out with my cheapo fatshark.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=53706

Also ordered VTX/VRX and a gopro cable, so I'm stoked. Also will be gone all weekend :negative: the RC'ers worst possible situation

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a difference between x and h frames beyond holding more poo poo? I was kinda looking at the hobbyking fpv250 (or fpv250lh) frame (though I might be quickly disappointed with such a cheap frame; prices seem to vary wildly in this size)

edit: this was another frame that looked appealing http://www.ecksstore.se/#!frames/cs0c

Mostly holding more poo poo. HK has a nockoff glass fibre H quad http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61390__Laser230_FPV_Quadcopter_Composite_Kit_230mm_.html that looks ok. Main problem with the hk mini frames is durability. They are made out of standard glassfiber rather than G10 or CF so they won't handle crashes as well. But for 1/4 the price :shrug:

That 230 frame is pretty much a clone of the blackout but in glassfiber.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Mostly holding more poo poo. HK has a nockoff glass fibre H quad http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61390__Laser230_FPV_Quadcopter_Composite_Kit_230mm_.html that looks ok. Main problem with the hk mini frames is durability. They are made out of standard glassfiber rather than G10 or CF so they won't handle crashes as well. But for 1/4 the price :shrug:

That 230 frame is pretty much a clone of the blackout but in glassfiber.

Does the clean cage being under / over make a difference? this was the FPV250LH i was looking at http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?aff=5361&idProduct=61388 (basically the fpv250 with the cage attached)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
X frames are more nimble because the weight is closer to center of mass.
H frames hold more poo poo and are better suited for FPV because it pushes the camera up forward beyond prop-view.

Over/under doesn't matter that much. Having a lower CG can provide upright stability for FPV rigs in flight, but also potentially make landing harder (uneven bottom).

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
If I'm not planning on doing FPV, would I be better off getting an X frame, or does it matter all that much anyways?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

If I'm not planning on doing FPV, would I be better off getting an X frame, or does it matter all that much anyways?

It really doesn't make that much difference unless your machine is very underpowered. I would go H frame just for future proofing if you do want to fpv later. Quads are cool but quads FPV are :swoon:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

subx posted:

This new frame from Hobbyking looks pretty awesome:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__57154__S500_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_with_PDB_480mm.html

It what should be some really stiff, inexpensive arms, but is also ready for a gopro+gimbal, and doesn't have crab landing gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
There was someone at the Jets Over Kentucky with a pretty awesome 6-prop copter. Had retractable landing gear which I have never seen before on a quad (or whatever variety). That thing had a pretty good size battery, as it hovered and recorded jet passes for like 15 minutes (he was doing video for the event, so it was pre-approved and such).