Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Moving out of stuff is something you want to get reasonably good at, but otherwise gatekeeper is about bringing specific abilities to deal with his gimmicks so even a solid DPS build that would do well in actual endgame content is going to gently caress you over, because DPS builds don't usually purge stuff on short cooldowns and hinder adds (especially not in the same build).

Gatekeeper in general is a good idea executed badly, but what's new in Funcom land...

Real healing doesn't consist of healing four tanks who take full damage spikes while they keep standing in fires and can't be healed with leech or AoE/group heals. Meanwhile tanks aren't responsible for DPS camping in void zones, and in the real game they are allowed to self-heal or bring DPS-tank builds to finish fights faster. And yes, DPS don't generally have to spend 3-4 ability slots on purges and hinders all on one character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HapiMerchant posted:

Also most NM fights are not likely to basically be me, a single dps, alone against a boss monster in a situation where not doing a certain amount of damage will instantly kill me.

You are going to be very disappointed by goon nightmares.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HapiMerchant posted:

I am the biggest poo poo in this game apparently, as I appear to be the only person who cannot beat Gatekeeper with Ql10 blues and what WAS a solid DPS build up til now. My main problem is having to run around like a madman avoiding AoEs whuile killing him.

I'm told the Tank test gives you a DPS Ai buddy and the heal test spawns both a Tank buddy AND some DPS buddies (who mimic idiot dps for you to practice on)

My main beef is this: In what strange funcom world does a DPS solo fight bosses? If the Tank test is literally 'stay alive until the AI buddy kills him" and the heal test is "keep the AI alive while they kill him", why is the DPS test not "Kill him before your AI tank buddy dies", or "Stay above X DPS for X seconds"? Why this mad dance about a tiny platform dodging AoEs that take up half the platform's space while ALSO having to deal with a DPS gate that will instantly kill you if you drop below it?

I think the other regulars will vouch for me being reasonably ok at this game and I found the Gatekeeper DPS fight extremely difficult. Consider doing the tank or healer version instead.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
If you haven't yet, you can go through the Issue 6, 7, 8 and 9 (okay maybe not 8) mission chains which each grant you a purple talisman, which will make the Gatekeeper a lot easier. Some of the later missions might be a bit rough in blues, but you can group for them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zephonith posted:

If you haven't yet, you can go through the Issue 6, 7, 8 and 9 (okay maybe not 8) mission chains which each grant you a purple talisman, which will make the Gatekeeper a lot easier. Some of the later missions might be a bit rough in blues, but you can group for them.

Issues 6 and 7 are a ton of fun and everybody should play through their mission chains even if they don't need gear. :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Issues 6 and 7 own, yeah. Some of the missions have annoying aspects the loving respawn points on the god drat train were chosen so poorly but overall they're hella fun to do. :3:

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

HapiMerchant posted:

I don't mind moving around a lot but the thing is most areas where i've got to move around a lot aren't gonig to be tiny tiny platforms where i have maybe a few pixels of give space between me and INSTANT BILLION POINT DAMAGE.

There's actually a shitload of this. Machine Tyrant, Klein 1, Contact Core and the fight immediately after it, Mayan Battlemage and Eblis to name the more difficult examples, but there are plenty of others.

HapiMerchant posted:

Also most NM fights are not likely to basically be me, a single dps, alone against a boss monster in a situation where not doing a certain amount of damage will instantly kill me. Because, you know, usually there's 2 other DPSers there, AND a tank (who's doing damage too) AND a healer keeping us all alive. So, a situation completely unlike the test DPSers are given to 'prove' they're NM worthy.

On the contrary, there are also tonnes of instances where not doing enough DPS will wipe the party. Admittedly there should always be two other DPS to help you, but that's not really a strike against the gatekeeper involving a dps check.

I mean, the DPS gatekeeper fight is bullshit, but not for the reasons you stated. It's bullshit because it makes you hinder stuff and use a build that's incapable of good DPS.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So patch tomorrow that brings on the event, new content pack, and double ap/oreos/marks/etc.

Would be nice to see people playing for a bit at least.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Marx posted:

So patch tomorrow that brings on the event, new content pack, and double ap/oreos/marks/etc.

Would be nice to see people playing for a bit at least.
I'll probably jump in over the weekend (Thursday US time I guess) as I still haven't checked out the first part of Tokyo.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
More info on stuff: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/love_loathing_and_a_huge_anniversary_event

quote:

The Secret World's second anniversary celebrations have begun!

We invite you all to take part in this special occasion and enjoy a great event, huge bonuses and brand new content.

New Tokyo World Boss!

The Guardians of Gaia event returns, where massive Golems invade all the different areas of the game. This year the event offers some great new loot, rewards and an all new Golem in Tokyo! Take on this enormous and powerful new Tokyo Golem and earn unique rewards!

The anniversary celebrations last for two weeks, from the 3rd of July to the 17th of July, so log in now and take part!

From the 3rd of July and until 11th of July everyone can also enjoy these huge bonuses:

Double Ability Points: Every time you would earn an Ability Point you get one extra! This effect stacks with the Timed AP Boosts you can get in the Item Shop.
Extra Black Bullion: Every time you would earn Black Bullion you get one extra! This bonus also applies when you open Mystery Boxes and Deep Mystery Boxes.
50% more Aureus of Initiation: Every time you earn Aureus of Initiation in Scenarios you earn 50% extra!
50% more White Marks of Venice: Every time you earn White Marks of Venice from PvP you earn 50% extra. In the Fusang Warzone the period between each rewarding of Marks is reduced by 50%.
50% more AEGIS Reaserch XP in Tokyo: Every time you loot defeated enemies in the new Tokyo zone they yield 50% more AEGIS Research for your Weapon Controllers.
Free Membership for Recruiting: For every new player you recruit during this period you get a free month of Membership in addition to the Veteran Points you normally get. (To get this bonus you must send your invite between now and the 11th of July and the recruit must purchase The Secret World within 30 days.) Everyone has been given 10 extra invite keys as bonus, so that the whole community can let their friends take part in this anniversary celebration!

Sidestories: Love & Loathing

An all new mission pack is live! Enjoy the brand new Sidestories: Love & Loathing, which offers five new missions in the city of Tokyo, which was introduced in Issue #9. The pack contains:

Brotherly Loathe (Action) – Inbeda asks the player to help the House-in-Exile withstand the assault of the nine houses and settle a personal vendetta at the same time.
Love & Origami (Investigation) – Gozen and Akashi are arguing about a mysterious note and a book of origami left abandoned at a table in the noodle house. Bring your origami skills – this mission is not for the faint of heart!
Killers on the Road (Action) – Gozen sends the players to thin out the ranks of the demons infecting the streets of Kaidan and beyond…
The Right Round (Action) – Kurt asks the player to discover the location of a missing Orochi team carrying experimental weapons for testing.
The Korinto-kai (Action) – Daimon Kiyota isn’t about to let a little thing like the apocalypse stop him from running his business.

Anyone who completes all five missions in Sidestories: Love & Loathing will receive the Cracked Noh mask and a Deep Mystery Box as rewards! (This Deep Mystery Box can only be gotten once on each account.)

The five new missions are an excellent source for the new Sequins of Sunrise tokens in Tokyo, which you can use to upgrade your AEGIS Weapon Controllers. Doing these missions while the anniversary bonus of 50% more research XP is active, is a great way to improve your AEGIS skill!

Please note that you need to have Issue #9: The Black Signal to be able to purchase Sidestories: Love & Loathing and to do the new missions in Tokyo.

CaptainZalo
Apr 14, 2011

Don't forget to wipe!
I found the Gatekeeper walking around like a literal golden Dr. Manhattan in The Shadowy Forest last night. He was targetable and friendly. Creepy as gently caress.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

CaptainZalo posted:

I found the Gatekeeper walking around like a literal golden Dr. Manhattan in The Shadowy Forest last night. He was targetable and friendly. Creepy as gently caress.

That's part of the current Golem event. We walks from the Agartha portals to specific places, then summons that zone's golem boss.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I was all ready to grind up some APs this morning (one day I will achieve Panoptic Core), but now they're patching. :qq:

This had better be a great patch. :colbert:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

I think they're fixing stuff because the double BB and I think the double oreos weren't working.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's the callout channel? Is it Anniversity[sic] again?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

They're just using #event.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

They're just using #event.

Alright thanks. I still liked Anniversity though. "Yeah it was an unintentional typo but it caught on so it stayed." Meaning they typed it, noticed it was wrong, and started advertising it without fixing it.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

So far it seems they toned down a lot of the golem AOE attacks so this year it's easier to hit once and idle more than ever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm getting my rear end beaten left and right by these stupid onis while trying to get their sashimotos. Please tell me Tokyo just starts off terribly unfun with non-stop ground effects I'm not quick enough to dodge. Tell me it gets better.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

prefect posted:

I'm getting my rear end beaten left and right by these stupid onis while trying to get their sashimotos. Please tell me Tokyo just starts off terribly unfun with non-stop ground effects I'm not quick enough to dodge. Tell me it gets better.

Once you upgrade your aegis shiz and get access to gear that stuff will die very quickly. Over time you get used to the attacks and figure what you can dodge and what is worth just eating.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

prefect posted:

Happened to me too, loving hate Oni. Doing fairly okay with everything else though.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Morglon posted:

Happened to me too, loving hate Oni. Doing fairly okay with everything else though.

Oni can be annoying. So can Onryo, but everything dies soon enough.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

alfheimwanderer posted:

Oni can be annoying. So can Onryo, but everything dies soon enough.

Onryo murdered me. Absolutely murdered me until I altered my play style.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CaptainZalo posted:

Is that what they look like? gently caress
I found one last night on the Savage Coast map and ran from it because I had no idea what it was.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Are there ever, like, discounts on the issues? I'd like to play issues 6-9 some day but goddamn, it's like fifty bucks to buy them all, isn't it? That content is good but it's not *that* good.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Megazver posted:

Are there ever, like, discounts on the issues? I'd like to play issues 6-9 some day but goddamn, it's like fifty bucks to buy them all, isn't it? That content is good but it's not *that* good.

1200 free points nets you one issue off the bat from donig 30 missions. issue 5 is half the price of the others. buy 7 if nothing else, get 9 with bonus points for ~ end game content~ and take 5 when it goes even more on sale. ignore 8 it is literally useless. 6 is hit or miss. the further anaylsis pack is pretty neat but not needed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to believe Geary is just getting goatse sent to her 24/7

http://imgur.com/02svwvY

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Goatse is tame compared to even screen grabs of 1 guy 1 jar. That would be the true terror of the Filth.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I want to believe Geary is just getting goatse sent to her 24/7

http://imgur.com/02svwvY
Why are you doing this to yourself Plat? :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Why are you doing this to yourself Plat? :ohdear:

Because I am a miserable person and as grindy as these events are the missions are fantastic and help me forget that.

Orochi Tank guy is best NPC since the game launched. He's in the only operational tank. Sure he's batshit crazy but he's clearly doing something right.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Finally getting around to starting Tokyo and :allears: Geary :allears:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Mercurius posted:

Finally getting around to starting Tokyo and :allears: Geary :allears:

What about her? Personally the most disgusting thing I've found is Inabeda wanting to gently caress her. Why would you want that inabeda?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Geary is why I keep logging into this game when I have time. The Templars have more fabulous outfits, but Geary, y'know?

This game has the best voice acting and cutscenes.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rasmussen posted:

Geary is why I keep logging into this game when I have time. The Templars have more fabulous outfits, but Geary, y'know?

Yeah, I've just had all the story stuff done for so long that it was nice to have her talk to me again. Also, Inbeda is hilarious.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought the zebra head with my grandmaster funbux and it makes cutscenes even better. I think I like it even more than the horsehead. The best is when there's an artistic shot with depth of field effects, so you have an artfully blurred zebra head in the foreground and the object of focus further back. It's also pretty high-res itself so when it's sharp it looks very nice.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Going to sound like a dumb question but is there an easy way to tell which issues I own? Bought the massive edition on Steam during the sale for like £12.50, saw some people talking about which ones are worth owning and am kind of enjoying the game so far. Only thing I don't like is it feels a bit clunky sometimes.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Going to sound like a dumb question but is there an easy way to tell which issues I own? Bought the massive edition on Steam during the sale for like £12.50, saw some people talking about which ones are worth owning and am kind of enjoying the game so far. Only thing I don't like is it feels a bit clunky sometimes.

The massive Edition gives you Issues 1-7 inclusive

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

thebardyspoon posted:

Buy Issue 9 and probably skip issue 8, its pretty crap. The side stories stuff is pretty good too if you want it.

flea
Oct 8, 2000

guppy posted:

I bought the zebra head with my grandmaster funbux and it makes cutscenes even better. I think I like it even more than the horsehead. The best is when there's an artistic shot with depth of field effects, so you have an artfully blurred zebra head in the foreground and the object of focus further back. It's also pretty high-res itself so when it's sharp it looks very nice.

I really enjoy the unicorn head in cutscenes, the sparkles really add a "this is a serious unicorn" vibe that is absolutely essential to my enjoyment of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE

Rasmussen posted:

I play Illuminati for the fun facts :allears:
KG proves that learning can be fun, and exciting.

• Locked thread