Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Moving in with anyone is rolling the dice. You can have good or bad experiences with complete strangers; you can also have good or bad experiences with close friends. Strangers presents a different set of issues than friends, but most of it still has to do with expectation-setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have found roomates through craigslist twice in the past, and both times it was fine. What I do is arrange for two meetings, one at their place and one at mine. That way you both get to see how each other actually live, and have a couple opportunities to talk; the second meeting is particularly nice if there was something that you forgot about or you think up only after actually meeting the person.

Basically be honest and straight forward about yourself and your expectations. If you are a slob, whatever, don't lie because you're ashamed about it and say that you keep poo poo clean. When you inevitably fail it will be a mess and it wouldn't have happened if you just told people you lived in filth from the start.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any big compilation of interior design sites, or online furniture? Wayfair.com is pretty cool...

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Thanatosian posted:

Moving in with anyone is rolling the dice. You can have good or bad experiences with complete strangers; you can also have good or bad experiences with close friends. Strangers presents a different set of issues than friends, but most of it still has to do with expectation-setting.

I've lived with two sets of housemates.. The first were strangers and it was great, until drama started then it was like living with complete assholes. Couldn't use common spaces without feeling like you were trespassing etc. spend most of your time at work, out of the house or in your room with the door closed.

My second experience was living with friends. We moved in having known each other for a few years, we had the usual drama for dishes and rubbish but we wouldn't take arguments too far because we alll still wanted to be friends and were all happy living together.

This is not the norm though, in fact it's normally the roles are swapped

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Trilineatus posted:

Invite people to come to your home, make a pot of coffee, show them around, and then sit down and chat about each of your expectations about what communal living is like. Be honest, be genuine, and only accept someone who is the same. I've been living with my craigslist roommate for a year and we basically agreed that kitchen counters should be clear, the dishwasher should be run once a week, and we were both fine with someone knocking on the bathroom door to speed things up. If someone gives you a bad vibe, do NOT give them the benefit of the doubt.

Once a week you wash the dishes? How is your place not crawling with insects?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Once a week you wash the dishes? How is your place not crawling with insects?

If there's only two people you don't go through that many dishes, running the dishwasher only when it gets full (so once a week or so) isn't terrible. I don't think they were referring to leaving dirty dishes in the sink for a week.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If there's only two people you don't go through that many dishes, running the dishwasher only when it gets full (so once a week or so) isn't terrible. I don't think they were referring to leaving dirty dishes in the sink for a week.

Agreed. Not Trilineatus but, we only wash dishes once a week. We scrape off our plates into a compost bin and then do a quick rinse to get off the most egregious stuff (that we wouldn't want drying on the plate anyways) before it goes into the dishwasher. Pots and pans get a quick rinse throughout the week if we use them, but I generally only cook on the weekends.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Exactly right. Also plenty of dishes get washed by hand during the week, the dishwasher is 90% Tupperware when we run it!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Yeah at the date, don't jump to conclusions like that at :v:

In all seriousness though, can you tell into more detail on how you ended up with said roommate? Did you sit down with them to discuss things beforehand, how long did it take for them to not feel like a stranger, etc.

We met at Panera and talked for an hour or so. Talked about general living stuff, like how often we tended to have people over and how clean we are. I don't remember what else there was but we didn't go into nearly as much detail as Trilineatus. I basically just tried to figure out if he was a person I wouldn't mind being around every day.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I just moved to a new place and it's dry as all hell. Every morning I wake up with a terrible sinus headache and a crusted up nose and my skin's all dry and itchy. Anyone have any suggestions for humidifiers? I suppose I'll get used to it eventually but for now it's pretty miserable.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I just moved to a new place and it's dry as all hell. Every morning I wake up with a terrible sinus headache and a crusted up nose and my skin's all dry and itchy. Anyone have any suggestions for humidifiers? I suppose I'll get used to it eventually but for now it's pretty miserable.

All of the Crane humidifiers are nice. I'm too lazy to post a link, but they can be found in person at Target or online at Amazon if you want a bigger selection of amusing animal shapes. Miner's a red dragon that breathes water vapor. I taped a wire moustache to his snout and named him Draco Moustachio. I don't need him anymore since I left the arid air conditioned wasteland that was student housing, but it served me well, even without additional filters for very hard water. Just had to scrape off the calcified crap ever few months.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

We met at Panera and talked for an hour or so. Talked about general living stuff, like how often we tended to have people over and how clean we are. I don't remember what else there was but we didn't go into nearly as much detail as Trilineatus. I basically just tried to figure out if he was a person I wouldn't mind being around every day.

Well I asked my landlord about renting it out and he nixed the idea unless we rent it to someone we know, so it's academic at this point :negative: Thanks anyway.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Ugh,

So my current room mate (who I cosigned on a lease with that expires in freaking June 2015) just landed an out of state job and is going to be moving out in short order. We live in California together in the Bay Area.

What exactly are my rights when it comes to him either finding someone to take over his lease, or him just up and leaving and then not paying me rent?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What does your lease say? You are in the US, so there is basically an 100% chance that it says you are 'jointly and severally liable' for the rent. What this means is that if one person walks out of the place, you are still responsible for the whole amount, and the landlord can sue you for it/evict you if you don't pay. You can, of course, pursue your roommate for his share of the obligation (by suing him), but that can get pretty rough.

I recall that California is one of those crazy states where renters may actually have rights, so you might want to look up your city/county tenants rights association and see what there is that might help you, but I think its pretty unlikely that you can just opt out of his share of the rent - the only time this happens is when people have separate leases.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You are probably jointly and severally liable.

You should either find someone to fill his spot and then tell the landlord, or break the lease and move.

There is a ton more information I can give you, but rather than writing War & Peace, how 'bout you just tell me what general direction you want to move in and I can guide you a bit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, we discovered that my roommate immediately next to my room has bedbugs. We, of course, discovered this immediately before I leave the state for five days, and right before a holiday weekend.

Already started putting things in bags and laundering them, ordered mattress covers and diatomaceous earth. Our plan is to pull everything away from the walls, create a contiguous barricade with the diatomaceous earth, and then turn the heat waaaayyyy the gently caress up. Also getting in touch with pest control people. Anything we should know going in?

Signs thus far point to the infestation being limited to just the one room.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Can somebody remind me what the goon approved vacuum was? I need to replace my decades old Hoover.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Thanatosian posted:

So, we discovered that my roommate immediately next to my room has bedbugs. We, of course, discovered this immediately before I leave the state for five days, and right before a holiday weekend.

Already started putting things in bags and laundering them, ordered mattress covers and diatomaceous earth. Our plan is to pull everything away from the walls, create a contiguous barricade with the diatomaceous earth, and then turn the heat waaaayyyy the gently caress up. Also getting in touch with pest control people. Anything we should know going in?

Signs thus far point to the infestation being limited to just the one room.

If your bed has legs, put the legs in cups or pans of mineral oil. That does a really good job of keeping the bedbugs from reaching the bed. Turning the heat up is not going to do jack poo poo, you won't be able to get it hot enough.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Can somebody remind me what the goon approved vacuum was? I need to replace my decades old Hoover.

http://smile.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-T-Series-Bagless-UH70120/

That's the tightass one. the one I bought. There is probably also "the greatest vacuum cleaner ever made", but I just can't spend that kind of cash on a vacuum.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

photomikey posted:

That's the tightass one. the one I bought. There is probably also "the greatest vacuum cleaner ever made", but I just can't spend that kind of cash on a vacuum.

URL is broken, it needs the bit at the end
http://smile.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-T-Series-Bagless-UH70120/dp/B002HFDLCK

Thanks for posting it. I need a vacuum soon.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

photomikey posted:

Thanks.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I'm not sure anyone actually knows the answer to this but why not ask:

My apartment changed owners and my wife and I weren't too happy, blah blah, boring stuff. So anyway, we got a written notice from the management of a new rate for the apartment with a line in there telling us if we didn't intend to renew our lease we had to submit a written notice within 30 days. OK, no problem; did that today. But looking at my lease again it actually specifies 60 days and I haven't made that deadline. Does the later notice supersede what they put in the lease or am I going to be penalized? I live in MA, if it matters.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
...Are you sure you don't have those numbers backwards?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Costello Jello posted:

...Are you sure you don't have those numbers backwards?

Which numbers? I'm sure that the written notice we got said 30 days and the lease says twice as long, if that's what you mean. The new guys are like, slumlords ("Oh yeah, I was just about to call you. The part didn't get here today but it will definitely be taken care of tomorrow") and super-disorganized so I'm not sure if they're even aware of the discrepancy (and I sure wasn't going to bring it up).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 9, 2014

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
edit: this is all in Oakland, CA

So this roommate leaving situation just got much more interesting. I was just sent an email by the landlord stating the following information. Keep in mind my room mate and I both signed a lease a month or so ago.

1. The lease that we signed for a period of 1 year is now a month to month lease. This means that he can (and will) jack up the rent the moment he is able. So in 6 months, my rent goes up as opposed to at the end of our 1 year lease. We moved into the unit end of December, and the landlord actually had us sign a renewal WAAAYYY early (back in May). At the time the lease renewal term was from 8/1/2014 - 7/31/2015.

What is stopping me from asking to change the lease to my name only and then finding a room mate?

2. I am responsible for reimbursing my room mate for his portion of the security deposit, AS WELL as making sure that the existing security deposit it met (1800 dollars). We both paid 900 or so dollars for the security deposit. I haven't a clue as to how this works since I will be both A: paying him back for his security deposit and then B: also making sure that the full security deposit is on hand with the landlord. Basically the way he stated it is he's taking the 900 dollars and saying it's his, is that poo poo even legal!?

His exact wording:

quote:

Lastly, 4) any handoff with Roommate had to take place through you. You have to deal With his security deposit and so on. We don't deal with roommates leaving and so on.

Alright, I was misunderstanding this. Apparently it's just that anyone I find to take my room mates place needs to pay the security deposit directly to my room mate. English isn't this dudes first language, and it shows.

Regardless, changing the lease to a month to month right after we signed a renewal for another year it seems shady as loving poo poo, can I do anything about it?

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 9, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

Alright, I was misunderstanding this. Apparently it's just that anyone I find to take my room mates place needs to pay the security deposit directly to my room mate. English isn't this dudes first language, and it shows.

Regardless, changing the lease to a month to month right after we signed a renewal for another year it seems shady as loving poo poo, can I do anything about it?
Just don't sign the new lease.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Just don't sign the new lease.

So if I don't sign the new lease, and my room mate moves out, if I find a new room mate I have to sign a new lease?

Assuming that my room mate has left, does that mean since I am the only person whose name is on the lease I assume all liability for the duration of the lease?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
You need to talk to an actual lawyer-type person. That sounds shady as hell.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Wicaeed posted:

So if I don't sign the new lease, and my room mate moves out, if I find a new room mate I have to sign a new lease?

Assuming that my room mate has left, does that mean since I am the only person whose name is on the lease I assume all liability for the duration of the lease?

Read your lease. Does it say it's dissolved in the event of one of you moving out? If not he probably can't unilaterally change the terms like that -- part of the reason you even have a lease is to protect you from that. Every state is different though.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I have went to school then worked in the same small college town for about 10 years. I am wanting to move to the Seattle area from Illinois ideally within 5ish months. I will be there the 1st week of August to visit friends. I already plan on scoping out areas that I would like to live. How soon should I start applying for jobs? Just curious in case I should plan on having possible interviews while I am there. I am just not sure if it would be too early or not. Background, I have 6 years experience as a Biomedical Equipment Tech at my local hospital. I would want to give my hospital a minimum 1 month notice, more likely 2 months. I also figure I need a solid 2 months more to save cash for the move.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

I have went to school then worked in the same small college town for about 10 years. I am wanting to move to the Seattle area from Illinois ideally within 5ish months. I will be there the 1st week of August to visit friends. I already plan on scoping out areas that I would like to live. How soon should I start applying for jobs? Just curious in case I should plan on having possible interviews while I am there. I am just not sure if it would be too early or not. Background, I have 6 years experience as a Biomedical Equipment Tech at my local hospital. I would want to give my hospital a minimum 1 month notice, more likely 2 months. I also figure I need a solid 2 months more to save cash for the move.

Most companies probably won't hold an opening for more than a month or so, since if they have an opening they need more people and can't really afford to wait around for you if there are hundreds of other qualified candidates willing and able to start immediately. If your move date is flexible I'd just start applying now then move whenever you get an offer.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Most companies probably won't hold an opening for more than a month or so, since if they have an opening they need more people and can't really afford to wait around for you if there are hundreds of other qualified candidates willing and able to start immediately. If your move date is flexible I'd just start applying now then move whenever you get an offer.

Would you say asking for 2 months would be too much?

As much as I would like to move now, I know that I need to save for another 2 months to be comfortable.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

As much as I would like to move now, I know that I need to save for another 2 months to be comfortable.

When you have enough savings, THEN start applying for a job. Tell your current employer your plans. Then when you get one, move immediately

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

When you have enough savings, THEN start applying for a job. Tell your current employer your plans. Then when you get one, move immediately

Do not under any circumstances tell your current employer that you're looking for a new job. No matter how good of a person you think they are, or how much you think they like you. Do not put in your notice until you're prepared to have to walk out of your place of employment. Not, like, two weeks before you're prepared; do not give notice until the moment you can afford to be unemployed.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

Depends on the job. If there are few qualified candidates maybe, but if it's a standard entry- or mid-level job probably not.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Do not under any circumstances tell your current employer that you're looking for a new job. No matter how good of a person you think they are, or how much you think they like you. Do not put in your notice until you're prepared to have to walk out of your place of employment. Not, like, two weeks before you're prepared; do not give notice until the moment you can afford to be unemployed.

n'thing this

I've been burnt in the past by being a dumb-rear end. I had a verbal offer of a job and like an idiot, gave my two weeks notice right then and there to my current employer. Two days later they rescinded the offer, and since I hadn't signed anything there was jack squat I could do about it.

Of course my then employer gave me the boot as well, I only had my own dumb self to blame in the end.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

1. The lease that we signed for a period of 1 year is now a month to month lease. This means that he can (and will) jack up the rent the moment he is able. So in 6 months, my rent goes up as opposed to at the end of our 1 year lease. We moved into the unit end of December, and the landlord actually had us sign a renewal WAAAYYY early (back in May). At the time the lease renewal term was from 8/1/2014 - 7/31/2015.
It is unlikely that changing roommates would trigger a break in the lease. If you signed a lease and your landlord signed the lease and you have a copy of it, the lease is valid. If the landlord didn't sign it, I think you're in more of a grey area. Hopefully you have a copy of something, somewhere. But the landlord can't just go from lease to month-to-month willy nilly.

If you sign a lease in Decenmber, it's relatively common to sign an extension in May/June so the landlord can get on a summer cycle. Everyone wants to move in the summer. No one wants to move in December. It's to everyone's benefit to get on a summer cycle.

Wicaeed posted:

anyone I find to take my room mates place needs to pay the security deposit directly to my room mate.
This is also pretty common, the drama doesn't come when the new roommate moves in, the drama comes when both you and new roommate moves out and $500 is withheld from your security deposit because of all the golfball sized holes in the back of the door, and new roommate is like "those were there when I moved in, I didn't do it" and roomate #1 now lives in Pocatello and won't return your phone calls.

Moral of the story being, new roommate doesn't just give old roommate $900, new roommate checks for damage against the move-in pre-existing damage form, accepts any damage noted there, deducts for any damage caused by roommate #1, and pays old roommate the remainder of the $900.

If this sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, it is; that's why your landlord doesn't want to gently caress with it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Cool, they replaced my dishwasher but did an extremely piss-poor job of installing it so it's hanging, crooked, on bent hooks, digging into the wood; the rack is not actually secured to one of the sets of rollers; and one of the arms isn't hooked up. So I left another request on their Web site detailing these issues and they just deleted it without comment (and obviously without having someone out).

Counting down the days till my lease ends.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I recently moved into a new apartment that has track lighting in the kitchen. The lights work fine but they look like something hanging in an industrial garage, and I'd like to replace them with light fixtures that look more home-like and distinctive.

Lowe's and Home Depot sell track lighting, I know, but are there any other brick-and-mortar stores or online retailers that sell track lighting heads that are...uh...cool-looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Ikea sells some cool lighting in that style. "Track" lighting started to go out of vogue in the 90s, it is pretty unpopular now,

There are a ton of places that sell lights, including lighting specialty stores. But the stuff you will probably be able to afford to put in an apartment will pretty much come from Lowe's and Home Depot.