Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I do tend to play lighter in a folk/americana band that I play in just because it's real mellow and I use lighter sticks. I'm going to beat the poo poo out of my kit in my rock band though.

Monitors have been a godsend. I don't have to ask people to turn up anymore, just give me more in my monitor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i hate this dude's guitar and the light up bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhUvQdxHH8

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Spanish Manlove posted:

i hate this dude's guitar and the light up bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhUvQdxHH8

great, I've always wanted to hear subpar Wyndham Hill poo poo fused with mediocre modern prog. this is extremely my jam.

in fairness the guitar was mostly incidental to the pedalboard

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Ferroque posted:

Having monitors helps everybody tremendously, I really can't stress that enough

Yeah, we go straight into the board with the guitars and bass. Then we put a mic in front of the bass drum and hang another one on a boom over the snare area. Everything sounds great coming through the monitors. The drummer is a happy camper.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIxxH7_g9U

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dude's got a smooth left hand, but how come none of these god drat things have anyone with a high speed camera to actually verify if he picked or fretted every note? Which he definitely didn't.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You stay classy, Gibson.

http://www2.gibson.com/Southern-Rock-Tribute.aspx

From $6583..

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
was kinda hoping the "worthy cause" referred to in the ad copy was the united daughters of the confederacy or council of conservative citizens

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Considering they made the "gently caress Obama" Les Paul posted earlier, I really wouldn't be surprised.

On the bright side, you know how cheap and portable audio recorders are really difficult to find these days? Well the geniuses at Gibson have finally solved the problem with this stupid loving cable.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Don't give your bumble bees crystal meth, kids.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

was kinda hoping the "worthy cause" referred to in the ad copy was the united daughters of the confederacy or council of conservative citizens

Haha, that would fit Gibson's image so perfectly.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

I wonder how many of these they sell

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

6500 and it's not even bookmatched lol

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

bisticles posted:

. In the weekend-warrior-lets-just-play-mustang-sally-for-20-minutes bands, the band usually just plows through the solos and verses at full volume, whereas the seasoned guys know how to back it down, throw in just enough notes to keep the song on track, and let it breathe.

drat... did I just become a guitardad?

You'll have to forgive me, I am not musically inclined.

Is that sort of like how on a lot of music nowadays (how it's mastered) if you look at a song's volume level it's just full-bore from start to finish instead of having an appropriate ebb and flow?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Is that sort of like how on a lot of music nowadays (how it's mastered) if you look at a song's volume level it's just full-bore from start to finish instead of having an appropriate ebb and flow?

it's hard to tell what he was trying to say. he starts off talking about 20 minutes of mustang sally which is excessively long but then goes on to describe how they 'plow through solos' or whatever. plowing through and 20 minutes don't really add up

what bisiticles is really telling us is that he's an old gently caress and doesn't like young whippersnapper bands who don't thrive on bluesy trills or yell "woo!" and take a long break every time the guitarist does a slow bend or a lick. Instead they just, you know, finish the song. blues dads don't like to finish a song. they want an infinite return so they can stand around stroking their necks.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

Sort of, although I think you're talking about this sort of thing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ZombieParts posted:

it's hard to tell what he was trying to say. he starts off talking about 20 minutes of mustang sally which is excessively long but then goes on to describe how they 'plow through solos' or whatever. plowing through and 20 minutes don't really add up

what bisiticles is really telling us is that he's an old gently caress and doesn't like young whippersnapper bands who don't thrive on bluesy trills or yell "woo!" and take a long break every time the guitarist does a slow bend or a lick. Instead they just, you know, finish the song. blues dads don't like to finish a song. they want an infinite return so they can stand around stroking their necks.

Short version is bad bands don't know when to shut up. It's never been to do with old/young but rather with knowing how to play with a band and knowing when to shut the gently caress up.

Bluesdads are generally pretty bad at this, metalkids are not much better. Can always tell the difference between a pro band and a kiddie band by how often both guitarists are playing at once, even if it's the same thing (it's always).

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

calling bullshit on this. 'flight of the bumblebee' is in 16th notes, so at 120bpm you're playing 8 notes in a second. playing that ten times faster at 1200bpm? 80 notes in a second.

to put that in perspective, if you were to play at 1300bpm a row of 16th open low es, you'd be playing so fast the note couldn't even complete a cycle!

musician_powerlevels.txt

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

calling bullshit on this. 'flight of the bumblebee' is in 16th notes, so at 120bpm you're playing 8 notes in a second. playing that ten times faster at 1200bpm? 80 notes in a second.

to put that in perspective, if you were to play at 1300bpm a row of 16th open low es, you'd be playing so fast the note couldn't even complete a cycle!

musician_powerlevels.txt

you've managed to fundamentally misunderstand what bpm means, gg

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Weird BIAS posted:

you've managed to fundamentally misunderstand what bpm means, gg

Um, he hasn't though? I'd you were playing sixteenth notes at 1300 bpm, you'd be playing 87 notes per second, which is bullshit. The problem is that at some point the math changes to playing quarter notes at whatever tempo instead of sixteenths. So yes, he's playing 1300 notes a minute, or sixteenths at 325 bpm, close to double the original tempo, which is still loving impressive.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

every note can be a beat, and when doing timing measurements like in that video every note is to be considered a beat. this is incredibly common in drum timing videos partly because a larger number is more impressive than saying you played 325 bpm sixteenth notes but some software and hardware that measures that poo poo assume all notes equal beats. It's incredibly obvious what the guy was trying to say by 1300 bpm, not 1300 bpm sixteenth notes, which would be 20800 beats(or notes) per second.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I don't disagree, but the inconsistency bugs me and he should have started counting at 680bpm rather than at 170, because switching like that caused ths restarted argument.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Weird BIAS posted:

every note can be a beat, and when doing timing measurements like in that video every note is to be considered a beat. this is incredibly common in drum timing videos partly because a larger number is more impressive than saying you played 325 bpm sixteenth notes but some software and hardware that measures that poo poo assume all notes equal beats. It's incredibly obvious what the guy was trying to say by 1300 bpm, not 1300 bpm sixteenth notes, which would be 20800 beats(or notes) per second.

i understand what you're saying, but if you watch at 170bpm the dude is clearly playing more than 170 notes per minute, but later it changes to notes per minute as Octatonic noticed. and besides, 1300 npm works out to more than 21 notes/second - which is beyond the bounds of human rhythm perception. the metronome would make a note rather than a rhythm at that frequency.

you're right about all your points, but the video contradicts itself

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

fir enough, in a spirit of goodwill i bring you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1tVG-jDWd8

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Here's a fun video of Jim Stafford (probably best known as a comedy/novelty country singer, but also a pretty decent guitar player) showing off a Roland G-707 in the mid-'80s on the Johnny Carson show by doing an "Axel F" cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VgdpU2nEw

Good lord, the tracking on those things was bad -- I'm pretty sure most of what sounds like Stafford loving up the tune is actually the G-707 loving up the tracking.

(BTW the reason it says "Branson, MO" at the end of that YouTube video title is because Stafford uses his entire YouTube account to promote his Branson show.)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Here's a :420:more standard Jim Stafford song:420: by comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjlxIcu8AM

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Weird BIAS posted:

fir enough, in a spirit of goodwill i bring you:
metal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YbMGW6xSzw

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

tacodaemon posted:

Here's a fun video of Jim Stafford (probably best known as a comedy/novelty country singer, but also a pretty decent guitar player) showing off a Roland G-707 in the mid-'80s on the Johnny Carson show by doing an "Axel F" cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3VgdpU2nEw

Good lord, the tracking on those things was bad -- I'm pretty sure most of what sounds like Stafford loving up the tune is actually the G-707 loving up the tracking.

(BTW the reason it says "Branson, MO" at the end of that YouTube video title is because Stafford uses his entire YouTube account to promote his Branson show.)

That Roland is loving glorious in a horrible 80s sort of way.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

So I guess steampunk bands are a thing that exists, and, I don't know, maybe you would wear a kilt or something.

Want to see it in action? Are you sure? There's like a belly dancer or something. I don't know. I don't know anything any more. I should get off the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESK279XocP4

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So steam punk robot bands are a thing http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojYK6CW8gdw

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Whenever I see steampunk stuff I just feel embarrassed for anyone who participates in it.

Also bad music.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's only one robot band that anyone should listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

:black101:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
i gave a guitar to a friend/bandmate 4 years and 2000 miles ago and i thought i'd never see it again. well the other week it took a plane home and she's all mine again.

in honor of this i'm going to post it here so you can tell me how ugly it is. hope yall like old-rear end abused guitars!!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

i gave a guitar to a friend/bandmate 4 years and 2000 miles ago and i thought i'd never see it again. well the other week it took a plane home and she's all mine again.

in honor of this i'm going to post it here so you can tell me how ugly it is. hope yall like old-rear end abused guitars!!

Other than the sticker that looks rad as hell.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Gilgameshback posted:

Other than the sticker that looks rad as hell.

bad religion was hugely influential to me so that one stays. although i did have to remove about a half dozen new stickers when i got it back i couldnt bring myself to take that one off

thing still sounds amazing clean or dirty and it has the best neck i've ever played. a lot of guitars have come and gone but i'm never letting this one go again.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Synonamess Botch posted:

the outie jack is cute :3: a cool guitar. looks like it used to be a fender-type hardtail from those drill holes and the headstock angle, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a shim in the neck pocket? if it plays weirdly/you get intonation and action issues, that might be worth a look. for some reason you see a lot of peaveys that are a lot more playable with a little shimming.

really cool-looking though. in fact, take the sticker off and put on a trapeze tailpiece and i could see some jazz dudes using it.

e: disregard all the neck talk, if it plays well that's awesome.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
yeah it supposed to be like a fender hardtail, string thru body. I have no idea why it has the stoptail, it was like that when I found it in the pawn shop :shrug: I played it pretty regularly for 5-ish years and it didn't give me any issues, and the neck isn't shimmed. i find it kind of charming in a kludgy way so i'm just going to leave it be.

oh also the wiring is a nightmare and i'm pretty sure it only still makes sound because of black magic. but it makes beautiful sounds, so if it ain't broke...

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

I love the bass version of these, but man they must weigh like 15 pounds.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Synonamess Botch posted:

I thought this was the worst music equipment thread not the music equipment that owns bones thread

(I wanna play the hell out of that thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

There's only one robot band that anyone should listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

:black101:

That's pretty awesome... could use a Max Headroom style singer... is that... a robot dog humping the hi-hat stand?!

• Locked thread