Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bull3964 posted:

The thing is though, most modern planes have no physical linkage between control surfaces and the cockpit anyways. So, I'm not really sure how moving to virtual displays really hurts things. You already have the critical control aspect of the play relying on electrical signals and computers, surely the display aspect could be made just as robust.

Until a pitot ices over and your screens go dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Geoj posted:

I would expect the majority of the airgoing public to have a visceral bad reaction to the pilots not having a window to look out of, not really understanding that they fly by instrument for the majority of the flight anyways. That will probably kill this concept faster than any regulatory agency's refusal to sign off on it.

We'll go from "wow our pilot must've flown fighters before!" to "wow our pilot must've flown drones before!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Until a pitot ices over and your screens go dark.

Except the screens didn't go dark on AF443.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, this may be a stupid question, but what's with those "Engine-Ferry" configurations? If you just need to move an engine from Point A to Point B, why would you go through the trouble of installing it on a special plane, flying it over, and uninstalling it, instead of just boxing the engine up and sticking it in cargo?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

So, this may be a stupid question, but what's with those "Engine-Ferry" configurations? If you just need to move an engine from Point A to Point B, why would you go through the trouble of installing it on a special plane, flying it over, and uninstalling it, instead of just boxing the engine up and sticking it in cargo?

Because it costs tens to hundreds of thousands of $ per day that the aircraft is on the ground waiting for the engine to arrive via the post, and chartering an AN124 is expensive, even by those standards. Or do you mean why mount it instead of carrying it internally? Because they're too big.

I'm surprised they don't fit aerodynamic fairings over them though. I would have thought that was lower drag than letting them windmill in the airstream.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 4, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Postal posted:

Because it costs tens to hundreds of thousands of $ per day that the aircraft is on the ground waiting for the engine to arrive via the post, and chartering an AN124 is expensive, even by those standards. Or do you mean why mount it instead of carrying it internally? Because they're too big.

I'm surprised they don't fit aerodynamic fairings over them though. I would have thought that was lower drag than letting them windmill in the airstream.

The concept was more popular when airport infrastructure was significantly less universal and there were fewer cargo planes that could carry a jet engine. If you lost an engine at some obscure corner of your network it might be easiest just to fly one out to it on one of your own planes.

IIRC the Vickers VC-10 had a fifth engine pod with a fairing over it when it was in use like you suggest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The fans are removed and stored in cargo so they're not really windmilling. According to airliners.net anyways.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SyHopeful posted:

We'll go from "wow our pilot must've flown fighters before!" to "wow our pilot must've flown drones before!"

and instead of saying it for aggressive flying, they'll say it when the plane's stuck in a holding pattern

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
To contribute to the thread title, and in honor of July 4th, I'm quite proud of having peed on both the Las Vegas strip and the Grand Canyon from about 15k feet. Mount Rushmore would make a great third landmark if it weren't a little too far away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrYenko posted:

DC-10 can do it too:

Related: Since even a nose-load 747F can't carry a fully assembled GE90, (Only the AN-124, AN-225, and C-5 can swing that,) the GE90 fan is designed to be detachable in the field, so that you can load the engine core, and then lay the fan section down flat on the load deck of your everyday 747F or 777F, when you have a grounded 777 somewhere that doesn't also have a quickchange-ready GE90.

Alternately, there is one way to load an assembled GE90 on a 747:

:v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Barnsy posted:

Also adds the possibility of looking 'through' the cockpit. That'd be a big safety advantage over traditional cockpits (imagine if QF32's crew could have just looked through the cockpit's walls and seen the damage straight away?).
It's funny because it's what the camera array on the f-35 is supposed to do, and guess how well it works! Hint: it's made by lockheed.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Why does GE use a Pratt & Whitney powered 747 to test its engines?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Because they need something reliable while they're testing. :v:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

0toShifty posted:

Why does GE use a Pratt & Whitney powered 747 to test its engines?

Serious answer, because it's a -100 (not a -100B) and JT9D or RB211 were the only options, and since PanAm's -100s were JT9D...

I mean, they *could* have retrofitted it with CF6 engines, but why waste money?

Anyway, their testbed is now a -400 with CF6s that they bought in 2011 from JAL. That's the testbed that will test fly the LEAP

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd love to see a 747 with four GE90 engines. Takeoffs would own so hard.
Especially with the -115 variant. 460,000 lb of thrust. :getin:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Imagine the takeoff roll when empty.
- Take off power
- 2 secondes elapse
- Smell you later!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd love to see a 747 with four GE90 engines. Takeoffs would own so hard.
Especially with the -115 variant. 460,000 lb of thrust. :getin:

Agreed. The takeoff roll at LAX on the way to SYD is pretty fun. Seems to take most of the runway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

An empty 744 with 4 GE90s? You could probably do a flex takeoff by just lifting the thrust levers out of the idle gate.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

hobbesmaster posted:

An empty 744 with 4 GE90s? You could probably do a flex takeoff by just lifting the thrust levers out of the idle gate.

I want 4 GE90s on an SP.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I want 6 GE90s on the An-225

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Serious post: B-52. Why haven't those things been reengined yet?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I want 6 GE90s on the An-225

You would only need 4. Probably 3 would work just fine as long as the rudder(s) worked well.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

Serious post: B-52. Why haven't those things been reengined yet?

Probably because the cost incentive isn't quite there or there are serious engineering reasons preventing it such as the wing not being able to cope with the new engine's weight or power.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I remember this being brought up before, I think the main reason is the Air Force have enough TF33's to last until the heat death of the universe and don't want to front the cost of replacing them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^ :argh:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Probably because the cost incentive isn't quite there or there are serious engineering reasons preventing it such as the wing not being able to cope with the new engine's weight or power.

Don't they also have millions of the engines it uses sitting around or something like that too?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

fknlo posted:

^^^ :argh:

Don't they also have millions of the engines it uses sitting around or something like that too?

Yea. There's so many TF-33 powerplants sitting around. Now the quality of said engines is a different matter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

I remember this being brought up before, I think the main reason is the Air Force have enough TF33's to last until the heat death of the universe and don't want to front the cost of replacing them.

That didn't stop them from reengining KC-135s with high bypass turbofans.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

The upgrade wasn't really massive for them though. The CFM powerplant puts out about ~1,000 more lb of thrust. It burns roughly 10,000 lb of fuel per hour versus the TF-33 chewing up 12,800 pph.

Fuel savings is what drove that re-engining for loiter time and JP-8 cost savings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

To add onto the above, that's also where a lot of the spare TF-33s came from.

Edit: Frankly the AF could probably sell all the TF-33s to a scrapyard and reengine the E-3/E-8/B-52 and come ahead after a couple of years if you count fuel savings, flightline/backshop/depot engine maintenance, wasted man-hours waiting for said maintenance, and cancelled missions.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 4, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

A Melted Tarp posted:

I want 4 GE90s on an SP.
I posted about that last year. A 737 with two GE90s (or 747 with 4) would have better power/weight than a fighter, even at MTOW; with just fuel, it'd be over 2:1.

jammyozzy posted:

The re-engine project might have been feasible when it was first proposed during the Cold War when half the fleet was airborne at any given time, but fuel was cheap then; now there are far fewer B-52s flying far less often, and Congress thinks the money would be better spent on the next over-time, over-budget replacement for the BUFF. What're we up to, 5, now? Valkyrie, Bone, B-2, and the planned ones for 2018 and 2037, the former of which is to start taking proposals this fall.

The B-52 is expected to serve into the 2040s, at which point the type will have 90 years of service and the newest airframe (built in 1962) will be 80+ years old. They must have a LOT of TF33s laying around.

Also, given the procurement fuckery, the last B-52s built will probably still be contributing to global warming over a century after they rolled off the line.

Similarly, the replacement for the F-35 will probably be intercepting Tu-95 saber-rattling flights in 2062.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That's a flight I was on as we were doing pattern work/loving up nature. TF-33's are so good at destroying the atmosphere.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

I posted about that last year. A 737 with two GE90s (or 747 with 4) would have better power/weight than a fighter, even at MTOW; with just fuel, it'd be over 2:1.

Too funny. I wish you did a front view. The GE90 is the same diameter as the 737 fuselage. It would need some tall gear! I recently rode the 77L from ATL-LAX and expected the GE90s to be much louder than they were (on takeoff). It was a really nice flight, though.

I'm sure you've seen the pics of the A320NEO. It looks a little like your mock-up, although not as severe.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 4, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Godholio posted:

Edit: Frankly the AF could probably sell all the TF-33s to a scrapyard and reengine the E-3/E-8/B-52 and come ahead after a couple of years if you count fuel savings, flightline/backshop/depot engine maintenance, wasted man-hours waiting for said maintenance, and cancelled missions.

IIRC they'd still have the same problem that was discussed last time this came up - the B52 doesn't have enough clearance for the big turbofans (100-115" diameter), and there's a relative gap in performance between the dinky ~55-60" 737/A320 level fans and the big 100+" fans.

Basically, I believe it comes down to using RB211s (like boeing initially proposed for re-engining in the 70s) or IAE V2533 which is right at the lower limit of thrust needed.

While the RB211 is a lovely engine, and there's a lot of them around, it's kind of an old design, and not-american, which are probably offputting to the DoD.

e: I guess there's also the P&W F117, which would give them the right performance/size, and engine commonality with the C17 too.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 4, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Read first,

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

evil_bunnY posted:

Read first,

Yea "cost incentive" kinda covered that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Radiohead71 posted:

The GE90 is the same diameter as the 737 fuselage.

Yeah, the 777 looks much smaller than it is because the engines are so big. Here's an approximate size comparison between the 777 and 747:

The twin-engine one is actually a 737, but Matchbox plays fast and loose with scale. But a 777 looks like a scaled-up 737 in real life, so it works.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm sure you've seen the pics of the A320NEO. It looks a little like your mock-up, although not as severe.

For those that haven't, here's one comparing the old A320 (on the right) to the A320neo:

In other news, a train derailed in Montana and sent some 737 fuselages for a swim:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
And lo, on that day, the world was spared from a couple more boring 737s.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

In other news, a train derailed in Montana and sent some 737 fuselages for a swim:

Oh. Wow. Are those pretty much done forever or can they be dried out and fully assembled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh. Wow. Are those pretty much done forever or can they be dried out and fully assembled?

They're almost assuredly done. Even discounting water damage, the physical damage from falling off the train and into the river is probably enough by itself that they can't be saved.

Though I'll bet Michael O'Leary is on the phone with Boeing right now, looking for a pair of extra-cheap 737s :haw: