Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

priznat posted:

On the plus side in :canada: news I read that the delivery of the last CH-147F chinook of an order of 15 just happened on time AND on budget, holy poo poo.

this makes sense since I keep seeing contracting postings for Petawawa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FullMetalJacket posted:

this makes sense since I keep seeing contracting postings for Petawawa

For maintenance?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Correct. Most of the time they're specific and mention "previous ch-146 experience an asset" likewise for postings at Gagetown, but before I went off to QC I had a few calls to go to Ottawa to work on a "research project". A firm in the Ottawa valley had a lot of involvement in developing the silencers for the Chinook, So I suspect the two were related in some regard. Shame they didn't like my level of experience. :(

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This was a semi-serious proposal for a B-1R variant...

It's like you guys have never read Dale Brown...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pretty bird landed at the airport today. Only a few months late.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

Pretty bird landed at the airport today. Only a few months late.

What is that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna guess that's a 787.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

What is that?

787 winglet

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
787?

E: Durp

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
From what I understand, the reason that modern jetliner engines look like an engine wearing a "collar" is because they're high-bypass turbofans: most of the thrust comes not from squirting hot exhaust gases out of the engine's rear end, but from the huge primary fan discs driving air around the engine which improves efficiency and noise. The previous generation of jetliners was big on trijets - 727, L-1011, DC-10. The #2 engine on these always seemed like a big compromise in placement, and I don't see how they could have effectively used the high-bypass concept on those. Was there some ingenious engineering done, or was high-bypass not appreciated/perfected in their era?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

This is out of my rear end, but I'm guessing 4 major things:
1) Improved metalurgy: Fans are big, have insane centrifugal forces and need to be light

2) Improved manufacturing technology: can build the more complicated gearing to keep the fans and compressors in synch

3) Improved experiential and experimental data: wind tunnels,bitch

4) Change in demand and priorities of airlines: gas is expensive and noise laws are getting more draconian every year.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The DC-10 and L-1011 were high bypass. I don't understand why their #2 engine position would contradict that.

The 727 had low bypass turbofans. Low bypass gives you better power-to-weight ratio and better high altitude performance. High bypass are costlier to make, but are more fuel efficient and deal better with hot-and-heavy takeoffs

E: hot-and-high, I mean, obviously

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 3, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hogmartin posted:

From what I understand, the reason that modern jetliner engines look like an engine wearing a "collar" is because they're high-bypass turbofans: most of the thrust comes not from squirting hot exhaust gases out of the engine's rear end, but from the huge primary fan discs driving air around the engine which improves efficiency and noise. The previous generation of jetliners was big on trijets - 727, L-1011, DC-10. The #2 engine on these always seemed like a big compromise in placement, and I don't see how they could have effectively used the high-bypass concept on those. Was there some ingenious engineering done, or was high-bypass not appreciated/perfected in their era?

As you probably already realise, the DC-10 and L-1011 were indeed high bypass on all the engines.

Here's a photo that demonstrates how the Dc-10's #2 engine is configured (and shows it's high-bypass)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its easy to see on the DC-10 but I think the question was more about the L-1011 because it seems kinda crazy to hide a high bypass engine in there.

But the answer is that they did and that the L-1011 owned.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Its easy to see on the DC-10 but I think the question was more about the L-1011 because it seems kinda crazy to hide a high bypass engine in there.

But the answer is that they did and that the L-1011 owned.

Yep, I think that's the sort of thing I meant. Looking at the straight-through #2 on the DC-10 I can (convince myself that I can) see the bypass ducting, but the #2 on the L-1011 is such a goddamn aeronautical crazy straw that I just can't picture it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Actually if you look at the back of a 1011 the bypass is very clear

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LockheedL1011.jpg

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hogmartin posted:

Yep, I think that's the sort of thing I meant. Looking at the straight-through #2 on the DC-10 I can (convince myself that I can) see the bypass ducting, but the #2 on the L-1011 is such a goddamn aeronautical crazy straw that I just can't picture it.

It helps once you realise that the engine is at the tail end of the S-duct, after the twist

e: this image makes it clearer (small image tho):

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 3, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Also, while on the subject of Lockheed's defunct commercial division...

It seems they may be contemplating getting back into the airliner segment, and that this is a real proposal:

Odd, but it'd be nice to see some 'unique' airliners that aren't just a 'tube, wings, 2 engines on pylons' again.

Also, some bonus weirdness I came across...

707 with rarely used quantas cargo pod (and a nice view of the original hush kits for 707s)

And a L-1011 in engine-ferry configuration (this isn't a photoshop, however much it looks like it, this is a legit way the tristar could be configured):

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You get 5-engine 747s in the same vein (the 5th engine is unpowered and being ferried)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

It seems they may be contemplating getting back into the airliner segment, and that this is a real proposal:

With that much bypass shouldn't you just use prop fans? (RIP crazy DC-9 derivatives)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

simplefish posted:

You get 5-engine 747s in the same vein (the 5th engine is unpowered and being ferried)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DC-10 can do it too:

Related: Since even a nose-load 747F can't carry a fully assembled GE90, (Only the AN-124, AN-225, and C-5 can swing that,) the GE90 fan is designed to be detachable in the field, so that you can load the engine core, and then lay the fan section down flat on the load deck of your everyday 747F or 777F, when you have a grounded 777 somewhere that doesn't also have a quickchange-ready GE90.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Airbus wants to get rid of the traditional cockpit so they can shape the noses of planes more aerodynamically by not having to worry about glass or visibility.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/airbus-submits-patent-application-for-windowless-jet-cockpit/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Airbus wants to get rid of the traditional cockpit so they can shape the noses of planes more aerodynamically by not having to worry about glass or visibility.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/airbus-submits-patent-application-for-windowless-jet-cockpit/

Not a new concept.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So, are these attachments just....there, or they added as the need arrives?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bull3964 posted:

I would be really, really nervous about that as a regulatory agency.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wdarkk posted:

I would be really, really nervous about that as a regulatory agency.

The thing is though, most modern planes have no physical linkage between control surfaces and the cockpit anyways. So, I'm not really sure how moving to virtual displays really hurts things. You already have the critical control aspect of the play relying on electrical signals and computers, surely the display aspect could be made just as robust.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

e- never mind I'm tired and not talking any sense.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is that ever done on passenger flights?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ is what ever done? Fly by wire is on the A320 and newer airbus and the 777/787

Linedance posted:

I honestly don't think the stumbling block here is the plane, it's the airports. The plane can know everything about itself and where it is in space and on the earth, but it won't know there's goats on the runway.

That's what cameras are for. Large modern jets already have a bunch pilots can look at. Important for ground handling and the like.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 3, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SybilVimes posted:

I can't find the post but I swear I made fun of the ever-enlarging winglet trend by suggesting someone just make wings that just keep going up and form a big hoop. It appears someone at Lockmart had the same idea but took it seriously.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

bull3964 posted:

The thing is though, most modern planes have no physical linkage between control surfaces and the cockpit anyways. So, I'm not really sure how moving to virtual displays really hurts things. You already have the critical control aspect of the play relying on electrical signals and computers, surely the display aspect could be made just as robust.

Also adds the possibility of looking 'through' the cockpit. That'd be a big safety advantage over traditional cockpits (imagine if QF32's crew could have just looked through the cockpit's walls and seen the damage straight away?).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bull3964 posted:

I would expect the majority of the airgoing public to have a visceral bad reaction to the pilots not having a window to look out of, not really understanding that they fly by instrument for the majority of the flight anyways. That will probably kill this concept faster than any regulatory agency's refusal to sign off on it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Geoj posted:

I would expect the majority of the airgoing public to have a visceral bad reaction to the pilots not having a window to look out of, not really understanding that they fly by instrument for the majority of the flight anyways. That will probably kill this concept faster than any regulatory agency's refusal to sign off on it.
I expect the majority of aircrew will also have a visceral bad reaction to not having a window to look out of. I know I would. Yes, 90% of flight time is on instruments, but during critical phases of flight having someone with eyes outside is a big deal.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Psion posted:

I can't find the post but I swear I made fun of the ever-enlarging winglet trend by suggesting someone just make wings that just keep going up and form a big hoop. It appears someone at Lockmart had the same idea but took it seriously.

The box-wing design has been floating around as a concept aircraft since the 50s. Never a production aircraft though, we'll see if the efficiency increase is worth it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

The thread title got me thinking about the su-34. When was the last time you took a poo poo at mach 0.8 and +7g. :v:

Having the other guy pull 7Gs while you're on the shitter is probably a pretty effective way to deal with constipation.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Psion posted:

Given that the engines are suspended from the upper wing surface, at the rear, they're getting all the benefits of fuselage-mounted engines, without the vibration/noise issues.

Only thing I can't tell at first glance is if the AOA problems of a T-tail kick in, or if it's 'ok' because you have so much wing area and your control surfaces are all going to be elevons anyway - so deep stalling of elevators shouldn't ever be an issue.

It might be a genius design that combines almost all advantages of each option...

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Psion posted:

Look up "non planar wings" and you'll see some actual flying versions from over the decades, plus this thing:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

benito posted:

Look up "non planar wings" and you'll see some actual flying versions from over the decades, plus this thing:

That's a photoshop.

This isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6A1mSh0DB8

There are lots of reasons why they're not a great idea. Mainly control placement and that they stall like a mo-fo (like ducted fan ducts do). The main advantage to them is that they have double the spanwise lifting efficiency, but hey, they're essentially biplanes. Of course they have double the spanwise efficiency. They lifting efficiency vs area is very similar to a conventional wing. So they're good when you need a small wingspan and don't want a traditional biplane for some reason.

The swept-box wing design (which has been around forever) counters these problems and gains the advantages/disadvantages of a canard configuration, but I think that currently the weight of the structure offsets any gains, so they're waiting for advances in materials to become a reality.

edit: VVV- your sarcasm was a bit subtle in text form. Apologies. You could stack them in a hexagonal-cell multi-story hanger with greater packing efficiency maybe?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Captain Postal posted:

That's a photoshop.

This isn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6A1mSh0DB8

There are lots of reasons why they're not a great idea. Mainly control placement and that they stall like a mofo (like ducted fan ducts do). The swept-box wing design (which has been around forever) counters these problems, but I think that currently the weight of the structure offsets any gains, so they're waiting for advances in materials to become a reality.

Of course it's a Photoshop, hence my qualifier. But can you imagine the hangar for that thing?