Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
are there any indications at all that goog ever expected to turn driverless cars into a business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it makes more sense than letting android owners buy and subsequently gently caress them up in public

"GOOGLE CAR KILLS SEVEN"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

rotor posted:

are there any indications at all that goog ever expected to turn driverless cars into a business?

no cause thats the whole point with these pie in the sky projects, u dont have to deal with hard things like the realities of figuring out how to create a viable business. 15 years out is too long a time frame for google's goldfish engineers/management to think about commercializing the technology. they'll probably have moved on to the next company 3 times by then.

if the clowns at google actually studied steve jobs' career this would all be blatantly obvious

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

google shutdown my phone while reading that post

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i hope thats a real website

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cremnob posted:

no cause thats the whole point with these pie in the sky projects, u dont have to deal with hard things like the realities of figuring out how to create a viable business. 15 years out is too long a time frame for google's goldfish engineers/management to think about commercializing the technology. they'll probably have moved on to the next company 3 times by then.

if the clowns at google actually studied steve jobs' career this would all be blatantly obvious

:rolleyes:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

i hope thats a real website

work in progress

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bootstrap 3 is nice

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i used Jade and bootstrap for the first time and it was extremely quick to make the first draft. then i needlessly decided to make it database driven and yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

yes, steve jobs was noticeable for coming up with completely stupid ideas that wasted company time and didn't become successes, like the macintosh

pram
Jun 10, 2001

im so tired of seeing bootstrap

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but theres no other choice

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pram posted:

I use bootstrap because it's unironically very good and I can't think of any viable alternatives.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Ocrassus posted:

I use bootstrap because it's unironically very good and I can't think of any viable alternatives.

foundation

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes, steve jobs was noticeable for coming up with completely stupid ideas that wasted company time and didn't become successes, like the macintosh

fishmech uses wild attack!
it's not very effective...

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Had a look at this and going to use it for my new site. thanks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just write your own poo poo on top of backbone jaysus how lazy are u

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

they tried with android so its a good bet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theadder posted:

they tried with android so its a good bet

u could learn a lot from this guy cremnob

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

sorry next time i make a funny computer site i'll hand craft bespoke Style Sheets and accent the divs with lace, artisan spans and tasteful, organic line-heights.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

sorry next time i make a funny computer site i'll hand craft bespoke Style Sheets and accent the divs with lace, artisan spans and tasteful, organic line-heights.

#include 219.css

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

isn't BOOTSTRA.386 the new hotness in stylesheet technology?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

good

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

thx mate

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

isn't BOOTSTRA.386 the new hotness in stylesheet technology?

lmao this owns

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

techcrunch calling out google's agenda on this right to be forgotten "controversy" they kicked up the past couple of days

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/04/digital-theatre/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so google the company that helps china censor the internet can't de-index a link?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

flakeloaf posted:

#include 219.css

i don't know what this means

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

cremnob posted:

techcrunch calling out google's agenda on this right to be forgotten "controversy" they kicked up the past couple of days

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/04/digital-theatre/

ah-ha, it was not the articles but the comments that caused this: a youtube-commenter wants their name disassociated from a comment and in response google blackholes the whole article

not only did google hurt the reforming youtube-commenter who's trying to pull their life back together - by risking their name to a whole lot of unwanted new exposure - they also hurt their customers by cutting the number of ad views they get and they hurt their users by making search worse

good job being petulant children about a court ruling you don't like

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

https://support.google.com/orkut/answer/6033100?p=orkut&rd=1 those 6 people who use orkut are going to be furious

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

pram posted:

it's not bad but as soon as a page loads it's like "oh this is bootstrap" and it sours my opinion of a site cause everything uses it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Max Facetime posted:

ah-ha, it was not the articles but the comments that caused this: a youtube-commenter wants their name disassociated from a comment and in response google blackholes the whole article

not only did google hurt the reforming youtube-commenter who's trying to pull their life back together - by risking their name to a whole lot of unwanted new exposure - they also hurt their customers by cutting the number of ad views they get and they hurt their users by making search worse

good job being petulant children about a court ruling you don't like

they didn't even blackhole the article

if you search on the public figure in the article, it still shows up in results

if you search for the name of the private individual, the article does not show up

so actually google did this 100% right but then told the article author who in turn wrote an article stating they had been black-holed when in fact they had not. this is exactly what google is hoping for, lots of FUD going around

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

they didn't even blackhole the article

if you search on the public figure in the article, it still shows up in results

if you search for the name of the private individual, the article does not show up

so actually google did this 100% right but then told the article author who in turn wrote an article stating they had been black-holed when in fact they had not. this is exactly what google is hoping for, lots of FUD going around

I think google blackholed them completely at first, then emailed the bloggers or journalists who confirmed the articles being delisted, only to turn around to reinstate the links and do it properly once they got the publicity they wanted

I mean, I hope google didn't reveal the names of the private individuals from whom the requests came to those who wrote the articles... that would have been a huge, huge breach of privacy...

so nobody should be able to tell whether those names are or are not associated with the comments to be able to verify

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Max Facetime posted:

I think google blackholed them completely at first, then emailed the bloggers or journalists who confirmed the articles being delisted, only to turn around to reinstate the links and do it properly once they got the publicity they wanted

I mean, I hope google didn't reveal the names of the private individuals from whom the requests came to those who wrote the articles... that would have been a huge, huge breach of privacy...

so nobody should be able to tell whether those names are or are not associated with the comments to be able to verify

which has caused a change from the initial round of "wtf this is stupid as poo poo" stories to all the media starting to pick up on the hamfisted attempt at malicious compliance. the media hates censorship but hates being used as a PR outlet (without being paid) even more.

what do they hope to get out of this? do they think the eu is going to turn around and reverse years of personal privacy rules, enshrined in the european convention on human rights, just because of an out-of area monopolist throwing a blatant temper tantrum over being told the law actually applies to them? hell Eric Schmidt is on record as saying that in the glorious technofuture everyone will get a free name change to escape their online stupid teenage years past

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what googl eexpects to get out of this is the satisfaction of being petulant children

lol if you think there's an overarching strategy there, google doesn't have the attention span for that sort of planning

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google is gonna get hosed by the EU and stunts like this are just gonna make it worse lmao. the anroid antitrust investigation is int he works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's going to be rad when the eu orders google to stop holding back features of android from manufacturers who don't agree to include google services :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread