Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Torrannor posted:

They don't. They can only be reduced if they die in a war or to attrition.

I see, thanks. That's kinda dumb honestly, I'm guessing the reason they hang around is so the adventurer doesn't immediately get ousted, but I feel they could have managed that better by just replenishing the levies or something, or at least give the troops a timer of a few years before they disband.

Anyway, the Abassids went into a brawl with the Byzantines, so that solved my problems at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How you people deal with the Holy Roman Empire? In my current Ironman game it's taken me 200 years to finally create Britannia and for my finale I'd really like to take the Pope too, but whoops the HRE took that over and creating an antipope will, I assume, put me at war with them when I press his claim. I can raise around 30k to his 40k but I assume he'll rally other Christian countries to him immediately. Tips?

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012
Decided to look in the history files to see if Rurik's son had some weird flag saying he couldn't convert. Didn't find anything like that but I did answer my boats questions. Said under Rurik that the fleet disbanded on inheritance.

I guess the solution to the son not being norse is as with all ck2 problems :ese:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

vulturesrow posted:

I didn't enable Ironman, I didn't realize that was required to enable achievements.

Also make sure you've not tinkered with any of the files. I've never pursued CK2 cheevos before and a couple of days ago decided I might as well, but despite being on Ironman and all that couldn't get anywhere. I just figured out it's because I had changed some things in defines.cfg because I like to make a few mild tweaks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZombieLenin posted:

You get this option only with pagan rulers, and then only if the character does not have the zealous trait. It is also limited to once in the lifetime of the character. So if your character is Christian, zealous, or has already converted, then you are out of luck. The option should appear in your decisions menu.

Also limited to unreformed pagans, which I found out the hard way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anyone ever, as a Norse character, done a prepared invasion for X somewhere really far from any Norse friends, then immediately converted religion and culture upon conquering your new lands? I am thinking of doing that for an area in like Spain or North Africa or something then immediately converting to the native religion and culture, simply so I can have my demesne set up how I like it :v: (because I hate fabricating claims and fighting minor civil wars trying to carve an optimized demesne out of the mess that most duchies start in).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Playing HIP, the automatic assigning of tutors for daughters when playing as a Muslim seems to be bugged. It keeps reassigning them, and now three of my councillors have -100 opinion from getting wards continually taken away. I'm getting the notice that they accept tutoring my daughter every few in game days.

Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Edit- oh god this is out of control. Even if I assign my daughters to be tutored by myself it assigns someone else soon after. Now half my court hates me.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 5, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

vulturesrow posted:

I didn't enable Ironman, I didn't realize that was required to enable achievements.

There you go then. Just save locally. It's fast and auto-saves are every 6 months for a few seconds. I find ironman is a lot more fun to play because you are more responsible for your actions, and you have to deal with difficult situations you might have loaded out of before.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Had my first genius child. :smug:

It's my fourth daughter and fifth child. :eng99:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Chaotic Flame posted:

Had my first genius child. :smug:

It's my fourth daughter and fifth child. :eng99:
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

There is never a problem in CK2 that cannot be resolved with large amounts of stabbing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

There is never a problem in CK2 that cannot be resolved with large amounts of stabbing.

What about "finish a game of CK2 without murdering anybody?" :colbert:

Actually now that I think about it that would be a monumental challenge.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can murder people entirely by accident in CK2.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What about "finish a game of CK2 without murdering anybody?" :colbert:

Actually now that I think about it that would be a monumental challenge.

A zero kills run of CK2, never declare war and hope to god you never get a rebellion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

A zero kills run of CK2, never declare war and hope to god you never get a rebellion.

Play as a count in the HRE and twiddle your fingers for the entire game. That sounds super boring!!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pierson posted:

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MUST DO

I have never had a murder plot take less than 5 years to happen. There are 4 children ahead of her. I'll probably due before I get through three of them

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have never had a murder plot take less than 5 years to happen. There are 4 children ahead of her. I'll probably due before I get through three of them

Elective succession allows you to pass the crown to siblings, doesn't it?

That might be easier. Especially since she was just born, better to hand the reins off to a regular adult than to a newborn genius.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I have a lot of trouble with stabbing sometimes. Do you people tutor your kids with an intrigue focus or what?

I don't think I've ever really done that before, at least not for very long. I am a viking now so I train my kids with marshal skills. If I'm not a viking I'll give them diplomacy training or maybe stewardship for the bonus to demesne limit.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Will a current version of CK2+ be ready before Hell freezes over?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I got overthrown by a faction and the guy who took the spot was old and unmarried. I decided to get him married and hope that I could get at least one kid out of him before he kicked the bucket because his heir was pretty underwhelming.

I then got a popup event that gave me the lustful trait! Awesome, things are going my way I think, I'm definitely going to get at least one kid. I immediately got another popup saying I died peacefully in my sleep. I laughed for real because what else can you do when your king fucks himself to death? :toot:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vulturesrow posted:

So I got overthrown by a faction and the guy who took the spot was old and unmarried. I decided to get him married and hope that I could get at least one kid out of him before he kicked the bucket because his heir was pretty underwhelming.

I then got a popup event that gave me the lustful trait! Awesome, things are going my way I think, I'm definitely going to get at least one kid. I immediately got another popup saying I died peacefully in my sleep. I laughed for real because what else can you do when your king fucks himself to death? :toot:

You can actually, literally, die from loving in CK2. The best Doge I ever had died at the age of 79 while having sex with his 21 year old mistress.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

You can't plot to murder your own kids anyways so its all diplo-assinations, you could do it in a single day if you are rich enough. Or if you know someone is plotting to murder them already you can send them to be educated by one of the plotters and hope for the best.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 5, 2014

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've got some kind of weird bug which is showing every nation near me as hostile to me despite me not being in any wars. They'll become my ally if they... uh, become my ally in an actual war. But otherwise they just show up as hostile. I left it alone for several years since they're not aggressive and aren't attacking my dudes, but I just won a war and the allies in my troop stack immediately attacked me after peace was declared, like the end of a mission in loving Chivalry or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've got some kind of weird bug which is showing every nation near me as hostile to me despite me not being in any wars. They'll become my ally if they... uh, become my ally in an actual war. But otherwise they just show up as hostile. I left it alone for several years since they're not aggressive and aren't attacking my dudes, but I just won a war and the allies in my troop stack immediately attacked me after peace was declared, like the end of a mission in loving Chivalry or something.

I believe that's a known bug, it should go away if you save and reload.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
When I try to arrange a marriage for one of my kids/grandkids, what determines who shows up in the options? Is that just everyone who would say yes? I have a rival nearby that if like to marry his daughter to my grandson to get the claim later on but she doesn't show up in the list despite being single and the same age.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

JoshTheStampede posted:

When I try to arrange a marriage for one of my kids/grandkids, what determines who shows up in the options? Is that just everyone who would say yes? I have a rival nearby that if like to marry his daughter to my grandson to get the claim later on but she doesn't show up in the list despite being single and the same age.

You don't need to go through that list. You can just go to the character page for whoever you want to marry and go to the diplomacy screen, marriage and betrothal will be options in there. This is useful if you want to engage in selective breeding programs to spawn super-heirs, since you're usually only going to find those genius/strong + midas/grey eminence courtiers through the character search.

As for who shows up in the menu you get to from the rings button, it's some subset of the people who would say yes. Seems like they are selected and sorted based on what level of nobility they are related to (and thus how useful of an alliance you get), beyond that not totally clear.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I think the answer is no, but can heresies join the crusades of the parent religion? I just converted to Cathar and have a vassal pope left over. It's actually pretty amusing since I still get gold from a large number of catholic priests despite the -35 malus for being a heretic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
But that is what confuses me. When I go to the rings menu it's a big list of random people from all over the world. From the diplo "arrange marriage" button it's like 2 people neither of whom are the one I need.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

But that is what confuses me. When I go to the rings menu it's a big list of random people from all over the world. From the diplo "arrange marriage" button it's like 2 people neither of whom are the one I need.

The diplo arrange marriage is from whoever is eligible in the court of the person whose "arrange marriage" button you're clicking on. If you click on your own, it's women in your own court. Technically the rings should show you anyone that will say yes from anywhere. Using the find character screen you can find others you might want to marry that would normally say no, but maybe you need to give them some money or invite them to your court to trap them in a marriage.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I think I'm missing something about Trading Posts. I'm Venice in the 867 scenario, have an allowance for 4 TPs, and they're all in the sea zone around Venice. After I placed the second or third TP, my profits are stagnating or actually decreasing. I think my profits peaked at 2. Should I have eaten the lost bonuses and placed my third and fourth TPs moving out through the Adriatic? The other houses have their 2 TPs there and the zone on the other side of it.

Also, is there a good resource to go to look up things like this? The CK 2 wiki (ckiiwiki.com) is REALLY sparse on this and probably other things.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Coffeehitler posted:

I think I'm missing something about Trading Posts. I'm Venice in the 867 scenario, have an allowance for 4 TPs, and they're all in the sea zone around Venice. After I placed the second or third TP, my profits are stagnating or actually decreasing. I think my profits peaked at 2. Should I have eaten the lost bonuses and placed my third and fourth TPs moving out through the Adriatic? The other houses have their 2 TPs there and the zone on the other side of it.

Also, is there a good resource to go to look up things like this? The CK 2 wiki (ckiiwiki.com) is REALLY sparse on this and probably other things.

You want as many trade posts near your capital as possible, and you also get a bonus for having the most trade posts in a particular area, so the money you're losing is possibly just...new men in your family? That can sneak up on you. The more unlanded males of your family in your court, the more trade posts you get, but you also have to pay them.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Oh goddamnit. Guess I have to start clicking on those things.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

Like the other guy said, it's probably family dues. The way trade income works is if you keep building posts in zones you control your income increases, but your dues increase even more because they're based on your income AND you adult courtiers, both of which are naturally increasing as you play the game. Basically, the moral of the story it to fill out your trade post cap asap.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Play as a count in the HRE and twiddle your fingers for the entire game. That sounds super boring!!

This sounds like an amusing variation on the observe games I play sometimes while doing other things. I always miss the events when you do those.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toplowtech posted:

Are you playing a mod? I know in some of them (ck2+) you need medium or high crown authority to use your de-jure laims.

Well gently caress, I have CK2+ that must have been it, thanks!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, quick question. If I were to convert to Cathar, change succession to Absolute Cognatic and then revert back to Catholic, would the succession stay in place or would it revert back to Agnatic-Cognatic?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, quick question. If I were to convert to Cathar, change succession to Absolute Cognatic and then revert back to Catholic, would the succession stay in place or would it revert back to Agnatic-Cognatic?

Based on other people's experiences, my guess is that it would stay in place for the first succession, and then immediately revert to ag-cog when your heir takes the throne; as succession appears to be when titles check to see if the new holder is eligible for its succession laws. The same things happen if you try to briefly go Celtic to get tanistry.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well I started a new vanilla game and my daughters are still constantly getting randomly assigned new tutors, so everyone hates me for losing a ward. Anyone else getting this when they play as a Muslim?

So I guess it is a vanilla bug and not anything to do with HIP.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can someone explain to me the "losing titles in succession" thing again? Preferably how to avoid it or fix it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shnooks posted:

Can someone explain to me the "losing titles in succession" thing again? Preferably how to avoid it or fix it :(

1) Switch to elective
2) Win the election

For real though, just switch away from gavelkind asap.

• Locked thread