Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On holiday I picked up a lovely iPhone case which was plastic with a wooden panel on the back. After a bit of googling I found the same company is selling other iPhone cases on Amazon but they don't seem to have anything for iPads. Does anyone know of wooden iPad Air cases that are pretty slim (plastic body with wooden panel would be fine, and probably better)? Everything I've found online so far looks hella bulky.

Shipping to UK much preferred!

edit: Not adding a lot of bulk to the sides would be nice. Those cases that only add about 1-2mm to the height/width of the tablet are fantastic for not making it too large.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Question Mark Mound posted:

On holiday I picked up a lovely iPhone case which was plastic with a wooden panel on the back. After a bit of googling I found the same company is selling other iPhone cases on Amazon but they don't seem to have anything for iPads. Does anyone know of wooden iPad Air cases that are pretty slim (plastic body with wooden panel would be fine, and probably better)? Everything I've found online so far looks hella bulky.

Shipping to UK much preferred!

edit: Not adding a lot of bulk to the sides would be nice. Those cases that only add about 1-2mm to the height/width of the tablet are fantastic for not making it too large.

I had a complete wooden iphone case for a while for my 4S. Bulky, yes. Protactive and hella awesome and blew everyone's mind, yes.

I've come into a position where I can save £75 a week, and I'm considering getting an 64gb ipad mini or an air after 6 weeks. I have some questions that hopefully you lovely people can help me with;

concerning them in general:
1. If I have an iphone and can use it for tethering to get a signal, is there any point to getting a cellular one?

2. I have an ipad 3 currently (one before lightning pin). whats the main difference between the generations?

Concerning the mini:
1. Is it too small? I like to read comics/book/web pages often on my ipad. Has any ipad mini users use theirs similarly and felt them wanted a bigger screen?

thanks in advance lovely people. And I know I could google, but I like conversing!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Facepalm Ranger posted:

1. If I have an iphone and can use it for tethering to get a signal, is there any point to getting a cellular one?

Concerning the mini:
1. Is it too small? I like to read comics/book/web pages often on my ipad. Has any ipad mini users use theirs similarly and felt them wanted a bigger screen?

1. Not as far as I can tell. I can see the LTE model being useful for business customers who want to plug an international SIM into their iPad and have data anywhere, and not being able to just do this with a phone because they're locked to a blackberry or something. Similar to 3G ebook readers.

1. Never*. It goes the other way all the time, the full size is ridiculous for exactly those applications because you have to do some funny gymnastics to hold it comfortably. The mini is high res and small enough to hold like a magazine and view a traditionally formatted webpage without any squinting or crazy zooming.

* some applications are ideally suited for the full size. If you want to do a whiteboard collaboration or share a photography portfolio then get the ten inch. If you're just consuming stuff and creating light things, get the mini. Or if you want to go laptop free forever, the mini Bluetooth keyboards are practically useless.

Just hold both in the store if you can. It was immediately obvious to me that I didn't want the full size at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I had a complete wooden iphone case for a while for my 4S. Bulky, yes. Protactive and hella awesome and blew everyone's mind, yes.

I've come into a position where I can save £75 a week, and I'm considering getting an 64gb ipad mini or an air after 6 weeks. I have some questions that hopefully you lovely people can help me with;

2. I have an ipad 3 currently (one before lightning pin). whats the main difference between the generations?

Concerning the mini:

thanks in advance lovely people. And I know I could google, but I like conversing!
I've found that the extra bulk for cases generally isn't worth it for me since I don't drop my stuff often enough. Plus if the next iPhone is as big as people are saying, I need a case to be slim as hell for that!

Tethering an iPad to an iPhone works perfectly so the only thing you'd need to worry about would be data usage (which would be an issue anyway) or your phone's battery life, since it obviously adds a bit of extra drain. I'd always recommend anyone to buy one of those portable USB battery packs if they're using their devices a lot. As long as your iPhone isn't dead and you always have it with you, paying for another contract just for your iPad seems a bit unnecessary.

The difference between the 3 and the Air is the weight (HUGE difference), overall size of the device (screen size is the same), new connectors and generally the Air has WAY more grunt behind its hardware so nothing ever slows down the way it did on the 3.

Personally, the Mini seemed a tad too small for me but it's one of those things where everyone will have a different preference. Do you have friends with similarly sized tablets that you could borrow for a few hours and try reading comics or browsing the net on? I should point out that I haven't gotten around to using a Retina Mini yet, though. My biggest gripe with the original Mini was the screen resolution but not quite up to snuff after being used to iPhone 4+ and iPad 3+. Things will definitely be much more readable than they were but again - personal preference.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 4, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Just to add onto this, iOS 8 is includes the ability to start tethering to your iPhone directly from your iPad in one tap on the wifi menu, without having to fumble with your phone to turn on Personal Hotspot. This makes a cellular iPad even less necessary if you always have your phone.

The benefits of a cellular iPad are primarily that you don't need your phone on you, you aren't using up the battery of your phone to get data, and you aren't using up your phone's data plan. If these aren't a big deal to your then a cellular iPad isn't necessary.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Thanks for the advice! I guess I can always hold onto my 3 after I buy a mini and see what I use most then give the 3 to a family member if I feel I don't need it anyone or, throw it in a drawer If I discover I still need it time to time. oh god...what had my life become??:shepspends:

Oh! Does the the mini get as hot as the ipad3/iphone5S when using the wireless?

And is the battery life on a mini much better? as I've found my ipad's battery it's really draining fast these days.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 4, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And is the battery life on a mini much better? as I've found my ipad's battery it's really draining fast these days.

I can't speak for the Retina mini but my OG mini never gets hot using wifi.

The battery life on my OG mini has decreased a bit, I think but not enough to send me scrambling to a fruit stand. I'll be at 50 - 60% after a lazy Sunday morning of browsing the internet, and SA, 4-5 hours.

Probably replacing it this year with a new mini if they add the fingerprint sensor (I know...but those with a 5S understand) so I can also hop on the Retina bandwagon. Also hoping for more RAM.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks for the advice! I guess I can always hold onto my 3 after I buy a mini and see what I use most then give the 3 to a family member if I feel I don't need it anyone or, throw it in a drawer If I discover I still need it time to time. oh god...what had my life become??:shepspends:

Retina mini:

Gets warm in the sun or when it's been charging for awhile. If you have a full case and play like FTL or something it also gets warm, but never hot.

Battery life is outstanding. I would use it nearly constantly for reading and scribbling notes from 6am to 9pm every day and the battery would be at like 20-30% when I got home. On wifi the whole time.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

tuyop posted:

Retina mini:

Gets warm in the sun or when it's been charging for awhile. If you have a full case and play like FTL or something it also gets warm, but never hot.

Battery life is outstanding. I would use it nearly constantly for reading and scribbling notes from 6am to 9pm every day and the battery would be at like 20-30% when I got home. On wifi the whole time.

Welp, looks like I'm gunning for the retina mini 64gb! Thankfully here in china it'll only cost me £400 equivalent!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DarkJC posted:

The benefits of a cellular iPad are primarily that you don't need your phone on you, you aren't using up the battery of your phone to get data, and you aren't using up your phone's data plan. If these aren't a big deal to your then a cellular iPad isn't necessary.

The non-cellular iPad also doesn't have a built-in GPS. Probably only a small subset of user care, but it is another difference.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, gently caress apple's lovely 5gb default iCloud storage. Sure hope you don't actually have anything on the devices you might want to back up or it's a return to the dark ages of actually having to plug poo poo in to do it. Not paying their absurd prices for storage.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Isn't it like $10 a year for 20 gigs.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Biodome posted:

Yeah, but if you're my mom you complain instead of paying $10 and you also refuse to buy $.99 apps while having bamboo floors installed.

AlternateAccount are you my mom?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Biodome posted:

20/year for 10 + the 5 free. Not a fantastic rate, but it's less than 2 bucks a month. I bought it when I first got my 5S, expecting I would need all kinds of space for pics and videos. Boy was I wrong :smith:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Also iCloud prices are about to be reduced drastically

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

benisntfunny posted:

Also iCloud prices are about to be reduced drastically

Go on...

Also besides music, what's the benefit of the cloud?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Well from posts right before yours: storing backups of your devices.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or your pictures or videos or whatever. Apps can save data/settings to the Almighty Cloud too. Which is great for universal apps, though so many I'd really like it with aren't universal (Final Fantasy Tactics :argh:)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Go on...

Basically everything. Game saves, document edits and annotations, device backups. What ISN'T great about the cloud? All of the complaints seem to be from late 2012 when certain things had difficulty dealing with conflicts (if I highlight a doc at school off wifi and then on my phone on the train off wifi, what happens when both are on wifi at home? Which version is true and do they merge or what?).

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Now I know more! Thanks :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
At WWDC they announced 20 GB for $0.99/month and 200 GB for $3.99/month, and tiers up to 1TB but those two are the only ones they've mentioned so far with pricing.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Sure hope I see an upgrade since right now I'm paying more for less.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Go on...

When iOS8 comes out, I think you can store all your photos in iCloud, not just those from the last 30 days. Or maybe early next year, I forget the details.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I understand iOS 8 is in beta but I don't understand how in the gently caress a bug that puts the keyboard at the very top of the screen so you can't see anything made it into beta 3. Damned retarded lazy developer not unit testing code maybe? But how does the build even pass QC? Seriously the bug presents itself almost immediately during the set up screens when you have to guess that it's asking you for your iCloud password because the dialogue is hidden by the keyboard.

Extremely annoying to test stuff now. Though I did find that if you switch apps and go back SOMETIMES the keyboard will go back to the bottom of the screen.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Is this possibly related to whether you split the keyboard in two or not? I always split it and I haven't seen that bug yet.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

benisntfunny posted:

I understand iOS 8 is in beta but I don't understand how it has beta issues!!!!

Get over it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Get over it.

Look man, I understand it's not supposed to work right, but you don't understand!!! IT JUST DOESN'T WORK RIGHT!!!!

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

What's a decent case, keyboard, stylus, and stand for the iPad Air? Looking for something that will let me prop this thing up on my lap, and anything that will enhance my student tablet experience. Are the recommendations in the OP still accurate?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Styluses are still kinda all over the place I think. As far as cheap fat nib ones the capacitive fiber/mesh ones are decent, they're like a smoother version of the old rubber dome types. There's a lot of fancier/expensive ones now, but I'll wait a while to see if iOS 8 changes anything cause there's a new API that exposes touch size to developers. I'm not sure what'll be possible but I'm hoping it'll allow for smaller tip dumb styluses to work (rather than needing the expensive battery powered Bluetooth ones that are out now).

In any case for stylus use the software is a big part of the experience, like many have a zoomed in mode that compensates for fat tips and makes them more usable for handwriting.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Donald Kimball posted:

What's a decent case, keyboard, stylus, and stand for the iPad Air? Looking for something that will let me prop this thing up on my lap, and anything that will enhance my student tablet experience. Are the recommendations in the OP still accurate?

For stylus: https://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

Stand: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HF4X2ZM/A/twelve-south-compass-2-stand-for-ipad?fnode=40

Keyboard: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFLF2VC/A/logitech-ultrathin-keyboard-cover-for-ipad-air-space-gray?fnode=3b

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
So, I am considering buying an iPad mini with retina display. From what I understand this thing is in the middle of it's lifespan, right? So apple will not release a new iPad mini anytime soon? I'd really hate to buy one now and see a new one released in a couple of months.

The buyer's guide at macrumors.com indicates there's no immediate new releases coming up. I realize that nobody can tell for sure but apple had pretty predictable release cycles for their hardware before, if I recall correctly.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
It is very possible a refresh is done in September/October, but no one knows for sure.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Nezzar posted:

So, I am considering buying an iPad mini with retina display. From what I understand this thing is in the middle of it's lifespan, right? So apple will not release a new iPad mini anytime soon? I'd really hate to buy one now and see a new one released in a couple of months.

The buyer's guide at macrumors.com indicates there's no immediate new releases coming up. I realize that nobody can tell for sure but apple had pretty predictable release cycles for their hardware before, if I recall correctly.

"Middle of its lifespan" isn't a very accurate way to put it. When the new retina mini is announced in (most likely) November, there will be some nominal improvements. However, the retina mini right now is still a workhorse and with the 64-bit chip architecture it is likely to be supported for years to come. I have one and I just got one for my fiancé last month, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone buy the current generation today.

If this was October, I would say to wait a month for the price drop or get the new version.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi pals. Considering getting an iPad, my first iPad ever. Will Orin get the 4th gen but I'm wondering is there due to be a new one out soon? Or is it just a new iPhone this year? Thanks.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hi pals. Considering getting an iPad, my first iPad ever. Will Orin get the 4th gen but I'm wondering is there due to be a new one out soon? Or is it just a new iPhone this year? Thanks.

No one can say for sure, but the iPad has been refreshed yearly for its entire existence, and the last few have happened in the fall. So, there will likely be a new one later this year.

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 12, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

FYI the most recent iPad is the iPad Air, which is actually the 5th generation. Whether you hang out until September / October to see what apple launches is up to you, but unless its a really, really good deal I would recommend the Air (or iPad Mini Retina) over the 4th gen.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I can't get my iPad to properly sync reminders for the life of me. They sync with no issue on my iPhone and MBA, both back and forth. The iPad, for whatever reason does not update synced reminders done on other devices. At least consistently - they seem to randomly decide to not sync.

It fixes immediately if I turn on and off reminders, but this isn't practical. Anyone dealt with this?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have had this happen between my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. Sometimes restarting will fix it for a while on the iOS devices but over time pops up again. I think it got a bit flakier with iOS 7 because I don't remember it being that bad with iOS 6. Hopefully with iOS 8 this works better.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What do you do if your ipad locks you out for too many bad passcode attempts and you're not able to synch with itunes? I keep a bluetooth keyboard in my bag with my ipad, and though I usually turn bluetooth off to prevent this from happening, the keyboard must have gotten jostled on from being in my bag and then every movement mashed the keys in a way that registered as attempts at logging in. I synched it this time, but I often travel with the ipad only for writing and I can imagine getting hosed if I had work to do and no way to get out of a lockout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

What do you do if your ipad locks you out for too many bad passcode attempts and you're not able to synch with itunes? I keep a bluetooth keyboard in my bag with my ipad, and though I usually turn bluetooth off to prevent this from happening, the keyboard must have gotten jostled on from being in my bag and then every movement mashed the keys in a way that registered as attempts at logging in. I synched it this time, but I often travel with the ipad only for writing and I can imagine getting hosed if I had work to do and no way to get out of a lockout.

Dfu restore. No one can get the code except you and if you're locked out you're locked out.