Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Seriously where do you find these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

duck monster posted:

Chances are the web server front ending it is about 1000 times as fast as the mainframe and maybe the same order of magnitude as likely to break down from the cheep lovely foxxcon built raid controller imploding for no reason.

That and a million or so lines of COBOL, too complex to replace without spending shitloads of millions of dollars.

Yeah the middleware goes down all the time. I know one of the guys who coded the centrelink DB, he's up here working the front desk of the local centrelink office. When Websphere breaks, he just gets a link to the mainframe and talks to its basic interface instead. He's a cool dude.

I'm sure they'd love to upgrade to some new big iron and run z/OS and stuff on it, but the db app is like Cartoon says, massive and you can't exactly transport half a db in memory to another machine because its not like a modern sql you can roll back the journal to.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Don't worry, I'm sure the next few generations of IT graduates would be more than happy to volunteer porting the db by hand in exchange for 'work experience'. I mean what else are they going to do??

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

like Cartoon says,
It was duck monster but thanks for thinking I might actually have a clue :)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Fruity Gordo posted:

I've got a meeting on union militancy afterwards but I am open to piking.

E: it's in a pub and the people are pretty chill though, so we could even just goonmeat there.

I'm planning to go to that meeting as well so if we got a third goon I think that'd automatically count as a goonmeet

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm planning to go to that meeting as well so if we got a third goon I think that'd automatically count as a goonmeet

Lucky you're not in Queensland or it would also count as criminal association under VLAD.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
This was in the middle of an ABC article about Glenn Lazarus:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-04/glenn-lazarus-behind-clive-palmer-climate-change-move/5570262

quote:

According to Ben Oquist, a former chief of staff to Bob Brown and strategy director at the Australia Institute, Senator Lazarus played a key role in determining PUP's climate change policy, announced last week.

"He helped take the Palmer United Party to the centre on climate change, leaving Abbott on the fringe," Mr Oquist said.

"Glenn is a mainstream bloke and wanted mainstream views on climate change to prevail."

In a press conference, which featured climate activist and former US vice president Al Gore, Mr Palmer revealed his party would vote to repeal the carbon tax but retain the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, the Renewable Energy Target and the Climate Change Authority.

It was also decided that an emissions trading scheme should be introduced sometime in the future but the initial carbon price would be set at $0 until Australia's major trading partners signed up to emissions trading schemes of their own.

Mr Oquist was privy to the policy discussions and says while he was personally disappointed with the outcome, he was impressed by Senator Lazarus's ability to listen and negotiate.

"Those people who say Clive can just tell his people what to do, I think, don't understand politics. No party works like that. No leader works like that."

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love this brilliant attitude of doing nothing until everybody else does something first. Self-fulfilling prophecy, we all do nothing, world is fukt.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Clive is no longer a climate change denier but his policy is so milquetoast that it doesn't really matter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Imagine what our climate change policy would have been If the Greens hadn't blocked the ETS.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Imagine what our political landscape would have been If the Greens hadn't blocked the ETS.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Imagine what our climate change policy would have been If the Greens hadn't blocked the ETS.

Worse? It was modeled that under Rudd's original ETS the government would have been paying billions to polluters, rather than bringing in that measly few million in the first year of the carbon tax, due to their creative accounting. That's why the Greens blocked it, and why when they were required to form government they could get Labor to make something better.

Unless that's what you meant, IDK. Can't read your tone.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

It was duck monster but thanks for thinking I might actually have a clue :)

Apologies :D My brain, so fizzy in the mornings.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hooman posted:

Good at what exactly? What does the collins class submarine actually do for australia? Has it ever fired a torpedo to attack another vessel? Has it killed anyone who wasn't one of it's operators?
No-one's tried a seaborne invasion of Australia, so they must have worked, despite spending so much time in the docks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

No-one's tried a seaborne invasion of Australia, so they must have worked, despite spending so much time in the docks.

I really need to sell the Government this amazing lion proof rock.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Make it a refugee-proof rock and you'll have a deal.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

adamantium|wang posted:

Make it a refugee-proof rock and you'll have a deal.

We're working on that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

The Salvation Army are working on that.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Mr Chips posted:

The Collins class actually conducts a great deal of signals and acoustic based intelligence work in the South China sea but whatevs

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

The Collins class actually conducts a great deal of signals and acoustic based intelligence work in the South China sea but whatevs

I know what it actually does, but was it built specifically to do that? Or was it a multimillion dollar boondoggle when we should be been building sigint subs instead.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

hooman posted:

I know what it actually does, but was it built specifically to do that? Or was it a multimillion dollar boondoggle when we should be been building sigint subs instead.

Pretty much that was one of its primary roles yes. SIGINT subs? The Collins is pretty much the best in the world at towing an array without making much noise due to its engines and profile.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
At least we can be assured that a submarine won't randomly catch on fire

quote:

A US Air Force F-35 Joint Strike Fighter caught fire when attempting to take off from a Florida Air Force base Monday morning, Pentagon officials said.

The plane, which is assigned to the 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, the unit that trains F-35 pilots for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and international militaries, experienced a fire in the aft end of the aircraft, according to an Air Force statement.

The pilot successfully shut down the plane and escaped unharmed, an F-35 program spokeswoman said. The fire was extinguished with foam by a ground crew.

Officials were assessing the damage and looking for the cause of the fire, the spokeswoman said.

“We take all ground emergencies seriously,” US Navy Capt. Paul Haas, 33rd Fighter Wing vice commander, said in a statement.

“In this case, the pilot followed the appropriate procedures which allowed for the safe abort of the mission, engine shutdown, and egress. We have a robust and extensive training program in which every pilot and aircraft crew member is trained, in order to respond quickly and correctly in the event emergencies occur.”

Mike Rein, a spokesman for aircraft-maker Lockheed Martin, said the company is “keenly aware” of the situation and is prepared to “assist in any way” requested by the Air Force. A spokesman for engine-maker Pratt & Whitney said: “We are aware of this incident at Eglin AFB. Pratt & Whitney stands ready to assist the 33rd Fighter Wing in its investigation.”

The fire is the second major incident experienced by the program in recent weeks. Test flights were temporarily halted on June 13 for inspections of an oil flow management valve fitting inside the engine.

No F-35s have been destroyed since production began in 2006. Lockheed has delivered more than 100 F-35s since then.

The aircraft are being used for operational testing and pilot training only. The Marine Corps is expected to declare its version of the aircraft battle-ready next year.

The F-35 cost between $98 million for an Air Force variant and $116 million for a Navy version, according to Lockheed data. A Marine Corps version cost $104 million

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

Pretty much that was one of its primary roles yes. SIGINT subs? The Collins is pretty much the best in the world at towing an array without making much noise due to its engines and profile.

Except that it's exceptionally flawed, only 2 work at once and they achieve ~65% of their mission capability. They are some of the most expensive to run and maintain submarines in the world and we're using them for sigint?

Sigint against whom? For what? To listen in on phone calls for exploiting other countries natural resources? To spy on our great enemies who we are at war with right now such as <blank?>. It's like saying Oh we have these amazing fighter jets that can beat all the other fighter jets that we will never need to use.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Nuclear Spy posted:

At least we can be assured that a submarine won't randomly catch on fire
It can happen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Or you know, The collins loving class submarine.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/submarine-fire-navy-personnel-taken-ashore-20140227-33m9l.html

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

hooman posted:

Except that it's exceptionally flawed, only 2 work at once and they achieve ~65% of their mission capability. They are some of the most expensive to run and maintain submarines in the world and we're using them for sigint?

Sigint against whom? For what? To listen in on phone calls for exploiting other countries natural resources? To spy on our great enemies who we are at war with right now such as <blank?>. It's like saying Oh we have these amazing fighter jets that can beat all the other fighter jets that we will never need to use.

The collins class is nowhere near as expensive as most modern nuclear fleets that are being deployed in our region, namely by China. Yes they are a lemon and we've pissed good money after bad keeping them but "most expensive to run in the world" is nowhere near the truth.
SIGINT is both communications and non-communications electrical emissions and also encompasses FISINT. A routine example being when Indonesia acquired yakhont missiles and test fired them, we had a collins on point collecting telemetry as well as communications between Indon Naval assets to ascertain their ability to use the weapons they just acquired.

If you think SIGINT is just emails and telephone calls then sorry, you don't know poo poo about intelligence, if you think this information is just for use in wartime, again you don't know poo poo. Australia had a dedicated branch of our intelligence services collecting information in order to get a feel as to how our election as a member of the UNSC would go, I'm not going to go any further but I worked for over two decades at sites such as SBRS, DSD and ADSCS I'm not just pulling poo poo from wiki

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

norp posted:

Watching wolf creek 2 and I can't help but notice the only Australian character in the film seems to be killing foreigners. Can't tell if it's a horror movie or a documentary.

Both the first and second films do this deliberately I believe. Second just made it more obvious.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-05/children-raised-by-same-sex-couples-healthier-study-finds/5574168

quote:

Children raised by same-sex couples healthier and happier, research suggests

Children of same-sex parents enjoy better levels of health and wellbeing than their peers from traditional family units, new Australian research suggests.

In what they described as the largest study of its type in the world, University of Melbourne researchers surveyed 315 same-sex parents and 500 children about their physical health and social wellbeing.

Lead researcher Doctor Simon Crouch said children raised by same-sex partners scored an average of 6 per cent higher than the general population on measures of general health and family cohesion.

"That's really a measure that looks at how well families get along, and it seems that same-sex-parent families and the children in them are getting along well, and this has positive impacts on child health," Dr Crouch said.

There were more than 33,000 families with same-sex parents living in Australia, according to the most recent Australian Bureau of Statistics census.

Lack of gender stereotyping in parenting roles promotes harmony

Dr Crouch said same-sex couples faced less pressure to fulfil traditional gender roles, which led to a more harmonious households.

"Previous research has suggested that parenting roles and work roles, and home roles within same-sex parenting families are more equitably distributed when compared to heterosexual families," he said.

The traditional nurturing role is shared, it's not one parent over another, the traditional breadwinning role is shared.
Rodney Chiang-Cruise
"So what this means is that people take on roles that are suited to their skill sets rather than falling into those gender stereotypes, which is mum staying home and looking after the kids and dad going out to earn money.

"What this leads to is a more harmonious family unit and therefore feeding on to better health and wellbeing."

Rodney Chiang-Cruise, a parent raising three boys with his same-sex partner, agreed with the study's findings.

"The traditional nurturing role is shared - it's not one parent over another; the traditional breadwinning role is shared," Mr Chiang-Cruise said.

"My personal view is that I think it teaches the child that everyone contributes in an equal way and you all have to contribute to the family."

Dr Crouch said the study findings had implications for those who argued against marriage equality for the sake of children.

"Quite often, people talk about marriage equality in the context of family and that marriage is necessary to raise children in the right environment, and that you need a mother and a father to be able to do that, and therefore marriage should be restricted to male and female couples," Dr Crouch said.

"I think what the study suggests in that context is that actually children can be brought up in many different family contexts, and it shouldn't be a barrier to marriage equality."

'No surprise' same-sex parents claim success: Family Voice

Family Voice Australia research officer Roslyn Phillips said the study should be taken with caution.

"I wasn't surprised that these parents who volunteered for the study all thought their children were doing well," Ms Phillips said.

"You've got to look beyond studies like these to what happens when the child reaches adulthood, and that's the only time with independent assessment you can really say what's gone on with the parenting and then ask them how they're going in all sorts

of ways, I think that would be a more relevant study.

You've got to look beyond studies like these to what happens when the child reaches adulthood and that's the only time, with independent assessment you can really say, what's gone on with the parenting.
Roslyn Phillips, Family Voice Australia
Ms Phillips also questioned the the objectivity of the study's lead researcher.

"Simon Crouch is raising two young children himself with his male homosexual partner, the results should be taken with caution," she said.

However, Dr Crouch said his personal situation did not impact on the results of the study.

"I acknowledge that I am from a same-sex-parent family, however I am one of a number of researchers on the paper who come from all sorts of different backgrounds," he said.

"There's a wide range of research across many different areas; first and foremost I'm a researcher, I'm a medical doctor and I'm a public health practitioner, and the objectivity I bring to this study doesn't depend on my own personal situation."

Mr Chiang-Cruise said Family Voice Australia's concerns did not reflect the majority of society.

"Very small radicalised minorities have a very large voice," he said.

"The only thing we can do is to make sure our kids are resilient and understand that their families are great, they work just as well."

Dr Crouch said a broader project was currently in the works where children of same-sex couples between the ages of 10 and 18 had reported on their own health outcomes.

Stigmatisation still a problem for same-sex-parent families

Dr Crouch said that despite scoring better in general health and wellbeing, same-sex-parent families regularly dealt with social stigma.

"Within these families, stigma is a problem and stigma is experienced in many ways within society," he said.

"For these families it might be something as simple as a letter coming home from school addressed to Mr and Mrs, which wouldn't be appropriate for these families, but it can be more overt and damaging such as bullying in the playground.

"We also see a lot of negative rhetoric spoken about same-sex parent families and this has a negative impact on child health in this context."

Mr Chiang-Cruise said such stigmatisation was a challenge for him as a same-sex parent.

"We have the same problems as every other family - we have kids who don't want to do their homework and don't want to eat their dinner and all that sort of stuff," he said.

"We are no different in that regard; we just have to work a little bit harder to make our kids more resilient."

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Would anyone be interested in an Auspol OpenTTD game? It's a modern version of transport tycoon, run on a custom map based on Australia:

Here's a picture of NSW/VIC, but the map encompasses all of Australia:

I'm only an Auspol lurker but jst chiming in to say OpenTTD is really good if you have the capacity to care about trains and poo poo.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Those changes to Newstart: I've heard two different dates for when they start, 1 July 2014 and 1 July 2017. Which is the real date?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Antlions posted:

I'm only an Auspol lurker but jst chiming in to say OpenTTD is really good if you have the capacity to care about trains and poo poo.

I'd be up for auspol ttd.
As for tomorrow's goon meet, I'll be on the coast so have a beer for me.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

EightDeer posted:

Those changes to Newstart: I've heard two different dates for when they start, 1 July 2014 and 1 July 2017. Which is the real date?

1 January 2015, assuming they pass the Senate:

http://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-dep...ng-age-payments

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1415/measures/young-people-and-students/53-11122

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I swear to loving god, if PUP lets those Youth Payment changes pass the senate. Grr

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I'm pretty sure Labor's already said they're totally down with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Pissweak posted:

Technically speaking it's not loving over the working class, because people on Newstart aren't working.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Speaking of things, the LNP's candidate for the Stafford By-Election is smug looking as gently caress:

Candidate Photo

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What's with the LNP and running twelve year olds.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

The collins class is nowhere near as expensive as most modern nuclear fleets that are being deployed in our region, namely by China. Yes they are a lemon and we've pissed good money after bad keeping them but "most expensive to run in the world" is nowhere near the truth.
SIGINT is both communications and non-communications electrical emissions and also encompasses FISINT. A routine example being when Indonesia acquired yakhont missiles and test fired them, we had a collins on point collecting telemetry as well as communications between Indon Naval assets to ascertain their ability to use the weapons they just acquired.

If you think SIGINT is just emails and telephone calls then sorry, you don't know poo poo about intelligence, if you think this information is just for use in wartime, again you don't know poo poo. Australia had a dedicated branch of our intelligence services collecting information in order to get a feel as to how our election as a member of the UNSC would go, I'm not going to go any further but I worked for over two decades at sites such as SBRS, DSD and ADSCS I'm not just pulling poo poo from wiki

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Captain Pissweak posted:

The Guardian says they're OK with no overseas holidays, asset test changes, and no money to change cities, but not so much the worst bits:

"The Guardian posted:

On Tuesday the opposition moved to amend the bills in the lower house to remove: the stripping of income support from unemployed people under 30, the raising of the pension age to 70, the axing of the seniors supplement, the freezing of the payments rates for Family Tax Benefits and the stripping of FTB B from families once their youngest child turns six.

The Australian Council of Social Services (Acoss) has previously recommended scrapping the seniors supplement, worth about $800 per year to Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) holders, calling it an “inequitable and wasteful program” which benefits relatively well off older people.

Labor has also declared it opposes cutting the Parenting Payment; extending the waiting period for certain payments, including the dole; changing the indexations of the Age Pension, the Disability Support Pension, Veterans’ pension and the Carer payment; axing the Pensioner Education Supplement; raising the age of eligibility for Newstart to 25; freezing FTB indexation; and removing backdating of the Disability Pension for Veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

Speaking of things, the LNP's candidate for the Stafford By-Election is smug looking as gently caress:

Candidate Photo

The touching up on that photo is disturbing.

• Locked thread