Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

krushgroove posted:

I expected a little more action in the thread after the GW email that I just got!

Are you going to share with the group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I assume it's the one about the new campaign supplement?

tl;dr: orks vs. imperium campaign

The armies/formations/sets/whatever they are trying to sell/promote with it are as follows:

1) Ork army with a stompa(?), like three or four foonauts, bunch of other vehicles, some token infantry
2) Knights
3) IG formation consisting entirely of leman russes

:lol:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I sure am excited for a campaign book that isn't Armageddon.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I sure am excited for a campaign book that isn't Armageddon.

keep dreaming

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm excited to buy this supplement that let's me buy more expensive big things for my army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Considering I just bought a Knight and my friend is starting Orks, I may actually buy it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks! Yeah I understand that I could paint them any way I want, but I really like that kind of organization stuff.

Yeah I'm was thinking everyone was gonna have a pulse rifle anyways, I remember making a group of night goblins when I was into warhammer last time about 12 years ago or something and really regretting not giving everyone spears once I saw a good looking painted army with them.

I'll probably prime the grenades (lol) when I prime the large shoulder guards, since I didn't want them being in the way when painting and add them later. The dagger goes on the leader to show that they are bound right?

What ally compliments Tau good? I'm guessing it depends on what kind of army you are making, but I though a good beefy melee unit would be nice, but someone said that would just make it so I can't shoot whatever they engage. But as AbusePuppy suggested, I'll probably just pick some kind of race that looks awesome. Gonna check Necrons out I think since I really like their esthetics.

I like to glue my dudes entirely together before i prime them - some people like doing it that way, some paint and then assemble, but if you use a dark primer.. well, sometimes primer interferes with the glue bonding the parts together, and nobody is going to SEE the hard-to-reach spots anyhow. Dark primer and a wash will just make them look like shadows. Up to you, though!

I'm told that Necrons compliment Tau well - they're Allies of Convenience so they get some bonuses while they work together. Necrons also have what Tau do NOt have - tough, durable troops to hold objectives. Tau also have easy access to certain weapons the necrons don't (long-ranged/high-strength low-AP weapons - most Necron weapons have 24" range and mid-ish/high AP). Both are very much shooty armies (Necrons are tougher than Tau but hampered by a poor Initiative) but they still complement each other nicely - Necrons are good at sitting down and holding things while Tau are good at reaching out and -taking- them. Both are also relatively mobile with their skimmer transports and Tau jetpack suits.

On the other hand, if you really want Necron melee allies, you can't really go wrong with plenty of Canoptek units - Scarabs are cheap and plentiful tarpits and eat tanks, Wraiths move fast, are surprisingly tough and shred pretty much anything that isn't a dedicated close combat unit, and Spiders are cheap monstrous creatures that support your scarabs nicely, can smash up most things in close combat and can provide you with some psychic defense.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not a viking posted:

Question on selling models:
I realize used models go for 50% retail or so. How about better-than-average painted models?

Something like this?

I'm still debating to throw it on SA-mart before I put it on ebay. The total listing is:
Defiler - £41
Vindicator - £35
5 Terminators - £28
2x6 Havocs - £25
10x4 Chaos Space Marines - £25
3x2 Bikers - £21
Lord - £15
Sorcerer - £11
2 Noise Marines weapon pack - £9
2 Rhino - £23
FW Dreadnought - £28

Ignore the price, I just c/p the list I made to see what its worth in retail.

Generally, when buying second hand models, people well want to pay less for painted stuff than stuff that's just assembled or on sprue. The quality of the paintjob is generally irrelevant as the models are more often than not destined for a bath of simple green.

You have to keep in mind that the models you are selling won't match the buyer's army or paintstyle and the process of stripping them is more work for them.

There's definitely exceptions for centrepiece models that are painted to an exceptional standard but your standard of painting is ok but won't help you sell you models at a better price.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 5, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i legitimately thought that one noise marine had like bozo the clown hair until I realized they were horns

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

It's okay, they can join Wyches in assaulting the bottom of the trashcan.

Where the Howling Banshees lie in wait, better :nws: that poo poo.

Thanks, goonbro. I mentioned eBay to my brother but he already trolls those, he needs a pile of lasguns and arms, eBay tends to sell small packages and neckbeards get into petty bidding wars over what should be $.40 a piece. :ugh:

I'll check out Hoard O' Bits. Anyone had experience ordering from Bits Barn? $.40 per set of lasgun arms seems okay.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do you live? I have a loving shitton of cadian bits you can have if its feasible to send.

I see you posting, DJ, are you in the continental US?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

i legitimately thought that one noise marine had like bozo the clown hair until I realized they were horns

Slaaneshi clown marines could be a legit idea if done well.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

LordAba posted:

Ghaz didn't change...

He did. He lost his +2 attacks on the charge, his 5++, and the ability to call his waaaaagh! whenever you wanted/needed that automatically gave you a 6" run.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krursk posted:

He did. He lost his +2 attacks on the charge, his 5++, and the ability to call his waaaaagh! whenever you wanted/needed that automatically gave you a 6" run.

He has a 6++ and the WAAAUUGH! is better. Overall not really changed, he's about the same as before.

EDIT: 6++ = 6+ FNP.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2014

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

JerryLee posted:

Slaaneshi clown marines could be a legit idea if done well.

You'd have to do a lot to make sure that they aren't Juggalo Marines.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I see you posting, DJ, are you in the continental US?

Continental EU :v:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Go to bed, mate.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Baron Bifford posted:

Go to bed, mate.

You're not my real dad!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on Sanctus reach?

I'm a little burnt out with so many recent releases and crusade of fire was such a waste that I'm wary of this.

That said, I love campaigns.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know how much we know, but I'm also itching for something to change up my games so I'll probably get it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
We barely know anything about it, but Orks own, Knights (especially Garantius) own, IG owns, Formations own, and Planetstrike owns, so it's looking positive. Just wish it was 35 dollars or something.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The five dataslates might be interesting but $50 for 112 pages seems a bit much.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The five dataslates might be interesting but $50 for 112 pages seems a bit much.

Yeah... a bit. I hope the planetary invasion rules aren't poo poo.

BTW do you want to buy this terrain set for 250 dollars? Please don't look at the cost of our competitors' fortified structures.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Thoughts on Sanctus reach?

I'm a little burnt out with so many recent releases and crusade of fire was such a waste that I'm wary of this.

That said, I love campaigns.

I'm picking it up and I'll cover it. So I'll let you know.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

We barely know anything about it, but Orks own, Knights (especially Garantius) own, IG owns, Formations own, and Planetstrike owns, so it's looking positive. Just wish it was 35 dollars or something.

Yeah, I'm really hoping there's a cool IG formation or two in there. The Ghazghkull book is really nice, and I'm hoping it's of equal quality. I love reading fluff about "historical" units and formations are super neat. I'm looking forward to Ghost Hand's coverage of it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I compare these supplements to wizards of the coast products - the Book of Vile Darkness, a comparably sized tome with roughly the same amount of rules and fluff, is $30. That's the kinda price I'd be happy to pay (~£15). Not £30 for a single book.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

I compare these supplements to wizards of the coast products - the Book of Vile Darkness, a comparably sized tome with roughly the same amount of rules and fluff, is $30. That's the kinda price I'd be happy to pay (~£15). Not £30 for a single book.

At the risk of sustaining another leakage of pricechat into this thread: pretty much this. The cost to produce a reasonably attractive, hardbound game book, at a sustainable profit margin, is not some weird fact doctors don't want you to know.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
As a longtime D&D player I agree with that, as well. Of course, in 3.5E and 4E I only bought the core books (I still have all of my 2E and 3E books), and that's what I'm doing with 40K stuff - but if I played 2 or 3 times a week with a regular group of players I could see myself getting the printed add-on books for the armies I play. As it is, I just look for used books on ebay - I got Armageddon, the templates and cards for a good price a couple months back, for example.

I do think it's cool that they've made a whole campaign that involves 2 (or is it 3?) armies. *I* don't play any of those armies but our Ork/DA player just got a house with a dedicated gaming room (the previous owner is a hardcore player) so we might end up doing some of the narrative battles. I think the dataslates for Tyranids, being focussed around a certain invasion in the fluff and incorporating Nids, IG/AM and BA is pretty neat and maybe was a tester for this more expensive expansion around a more popular army.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I saw that the book was $50 and thought, well... that's not unreasonable and then realised I was not on the Australian site

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Just put some tau up for sale in the SA-Mart if anyone is looking a riptide, codex and fire warriors. Looking to have a bit of a clear out

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
It says "volume I," so I'm guessing in a few months Volume II will have the Space Wolves and Necrons or whoever showing up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am pretty sure the primary motivation behind the new Ork codex was to encourage the few people who still play Orks to buy new stuff by making all of their old models that much worse.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, it's pretty calculated how everything people actually used has been completely dumpstered.

I'm only in decent shape because I liked the crappy ork units they made better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Other than Ghaz, Trukks and Kans, what got substantially shittier?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Deff Rollas were obliterated, boss nobs cannot take heavy armor [most people's were modeled with heavy armor], Flash gitz cannot take heavy armor [all flash gitz had mandatory heavy armor in the previous codex, lord knows mine were modeled with it], red paint job barely does anything now, Lootas, while essentially unchanged, have been shunted over to the incredibly overcrowded Heavy Support slot.

It's not just that the popular stuff was nerfed, but even things that weren't really nerfed still invalidated the models people were using to represent them, and/or screwed up their force org.

I've been thinking about things to ease my heavy support woes, actually, does anyone know how 7th treats dedicated transports in terms of the game start and whatnot? I have 2 squads of 20 boyz, and a squad of manz and tankbustas each. I want the boyz in wagons and the elites in trukks, but boyz wagons cost a HS slot. What if I take the wagons as dedicated transports for my elites and the trukks as DT's for my boyz?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 5, 2014

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am pretty sure the primary motivation behind the new Ork codex was to encourage the few people who still play Orks to buy new stuff by making all of their old models that much worse.

Battlwagons, Dethrollas, Shootaboyz, Nobbikerz and Dakkajets got more expensive/worse. There is the loss of batshit stuff like Zogwort and Zagstrukk's assault from deepstrike, Wazdakka and, of course, ramshackle. I have no idea why BW and burnas went up. I never ran burnas at 15pts and I won't at 16pts.

They made Lootas, Stormboyz, Buggies, Dethkoptas, Big-gunz, Bikers, Grotz, Nobz, Flashgitz, Trukks and Dreads cheaper.

Weirdboyz are now cheaper and useable. Flashgitz, whilst still crap are much cheaper to run. They lost eavy armour but have more shots at higher strength. They are a better shooting unit woohoo.

The fast attack section gained a massive boost. Buggies are much cheaper. I used to run 9 with Rokkits at a cost of 315 points. Now I can run 10 for 250 with a spare slot in the force org. Lootas moving to heavy support is poo poo. Elite was never as competitive as heavy for me. Tankbustas are now better; although, they need to be in a wagon as a Trukk is a death sentence for 14pt models.

It feels more like a sideways move than a leap forward.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Shoota boys got shat on too. +1 point and a huge nerf to mob rule dropped them from one of our strongest assets to a huge liability.

Why on earth they made Lootas cheaper and Burnas more expensive is beyond me. No-one used Burnas because Lootas are so much better. The only reason to take Burnas over Lootas is because of slot limitations - hardly the pinnacle of good balancing in a game where you can take multiple force org charts or even unbound.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Can't you just run a 2nd detachment now? Cheap HQ + 2 minimum units of Grots = 3 more HS slots.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, it's pretty calculated how everything people actually used has been completely dumpstered.

Yeah, because Mek Gunz, Lootas, MANz, and Shoota Boyz are totally unusable now.

People say this every time a new codex comes out, but it's really not true. The power level changes in units are essentially arbitrary- sometimes you get a nerf like the Tervigon, and sometimes you get an already-popular unit like the Wave Serpent just shooting through the roof. And it's the same for new units as well; people always remember stuff like the Riptide or Vendetta being kings of the world when they were released, but they forget about the Pyrovore, the Nephelim Jetfighter, the Chariot of Tzeentch, etc.

I wouldn't put it past GW to sometimes push the power level of new units to try and make the kits sell- but if they are trying to do so, they are certainly not doing a very good job of it. Seen a lot of Stalkers or Ogryn on the table recently? Probably not.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Other than Ghaz, Trukks and Kans, what got substantially shittier?

Trukks and Kans had been middling-to-poor for an edition now already, so you can't really count either of those. (Also, after doing some further reading in the FAQs and such, Ghaz does not give up VP for being wounded, because that rule has been removed from general use when Lords of War are present.) The biggest nerfs were largely to wargear- the Deffrolla, Cybork Bodies, KFF, and a few other things lost significantly in the update. Now, some of these were 100% expected- anyone who though the Deffrolla was gonna keep doing d6 S10 hits to everything in the game was dreaming- but they certainly hurt some of the codex's options.

Lungboy posted:

Can't you just run a 2nd detachment now? Cheap HQ + 2 minimum units of Grots = 3 more HS slots.

This is pretty fine in casual circles, but most tournaments are clamping down on multiple CADs because there are some really abusive possibilities with it. (6x Annihilation Barge, 12x henchmen squads in Rhinos, 12x Herald of Tzeentch, etc.) Heavy crowding of one particular FoC slot also tends to be indicative of poor codex design; I wouldn't go so far as to say that is necessarily the case for Orks yet, especially with the edition still so new, but it's not an encouraging sign.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, because Mek Gunz, Lootas, MANz, and Shoota Boyz are totally unusable now.

People say this every time a new codex comes out, but it's really not true. The power level changes in units are essentially arbitrary- sometimes you get a nerf like the Tervigon, and sometimes you get an already-popular unit like the Wave Serpent just shooting through the roof. And it's the same for new units as well; people always remember stuff like the Riptide or Vendetta being kings of the world when they were released, but they forget about the Pyrovore, the Nephelim Jetfighter, the Chariot of Tzeentch, etc.

No-one's saying they're useless, just that they didn't need toning down. They were only heavily used because they were the last units that Orks had which could stand up to more recent army lists. They were far from overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
People just tend to focus on what they've lost as opposed to what they've gained. I think Orks will do alright, even if it wasn't the massive leap forward people were hoping for. In other words:

Raphus C posted:

It feels more like a sideways move than a leap forward.

The new formations in the Ghaz book are really nice though, and there will hopefully be some cool tricks in that Sanctus Reach book too.

• Locked thread