Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

goatse.cx posted:

It is literally retarded to try and fix politics by outspending the rich via crowdfunding

Ahem, but "disruption". :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Everyone's bashing this idea but I don't see what they've got that's any better. Some have even said that "taking money out of politics" doesn't do enough, but that seems like precisely the solution.

Literally burning the money would be more of a solution, how can they possibly spend 5 million dollars in a way that reduces the influence of money in politics, it is a tautology

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Literally burning the money would be more of a solution, how can they possibly spend 5 million dollars in a way that reduces the influence of money in politics, it is a tautology

Buy bitcoins, cause end of US dollar as reserve currency. Usher in end of federal government.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

George, no... :negative:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

you are a marvellous person :)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Haha Lawrence Lessig is now a member of the 1 percent, his net worth is now above 5 million dollars

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give us money and we'll fix the bad things, you are perfect just the way you are.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Everyone's bashing this idea but I don't see what they've got that's any better. Some have even said that "taking money out of politics" doesn't do enough, but that seems like precisely the solution.

Each of the two major parties raised and spent over a billion dollars in 2012. That's not direct donations to the candidates, that's just money to the party and it's committees for them to use to support candidates of their choice. Goldman Sachs put 2.5 million into the Republican Party in 2012. "Friends of John Boehner" is the top contributor to the Republican Party for 2014 at $5.5 million already. Maybe this money can buy a few politicians who will agree to fight and then when they get to Congress they can wring their hands and apologize profusely about how they did their best but the votes weren't there because the reality is that these amounts aren't a one-time crowdfunding goal met mere hours before the deadline like MayOne.us but routine yearly spending on politics.

I'd love it if I'm totally wrong on this but the only way we're going to get money out of politics is if people were marching en masse in the streets to demand it, and honestly that's not going to happen. People aren't going to aggregate for that poo poo when they're too busy being split up about which political team they are on or who is destroying the country with gayness or abortion or immigrants.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Berke Negri posted:

Now Jack Abramoff can save the Union.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 5, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nice.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

god dammit

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
So what message board actually liked him?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i'm sure reddit did

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

congrats mr. boyko you saved america

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8ecxA3ylE

looks like all the excitement has resulted in some lost hair

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm sure reddit did

A quick google search suggest that yes, yes they did:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24ibwn/iama_lawrence_lessig_law_professor_activist/

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Next step: spearheading the civil rights movement for larpers.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI8ecxA3ylE

looks like all the excitement has resulted in some lost hair

cripes his head looks like a potato now

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

cripes his head looks like a potato now

I suppose it's shallow of me, but I feel really-sorry instead of chortling-sorry for him, now. But what do I know, I've never been deputy CTO of something.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So there's no real accountability as to how this money gets spent, right?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Sharkie posted:

So there's no real accountability as to how this money gets spent, right?
Bottom of page 18 if you want a pretty fair prediction of how this will actually go down among all the GIFs

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

Bottom of page 18 if you want a pretty fair prediction of how this will actually go down among all the GIFs

So it's 100% going into the pockets of wealthy people Lessig claims are "cool guys, I've known 'em for years," while not accomplishing anything.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 5, 2014

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Hahaha this guy is incredible, he keeps using the same account of his mayone campaign to post about pony poo poo, even after the embarrasment here

hmmmm.......

hmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

do you have something to tell us boyko

goatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 5, 2014

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i love that he's going to fix money in politics by turning money over to "professional campaigners"

all the good organizers already have jobs with candidates. just like every other election cycle. anyone who is any good at campaigning is just as firmly attached to the money tit as the politicians. so either he's getting second-rate campaigners who couldn't manage to get a real job, or green recent grads fresh out of their parent-funded trip to costa rica "just kinda finding themselves, you know?", or he's just straight giving money to candidates' campaigns like every other special interest group in the country

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 5, 2014

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Oh my god Boyko finally got Takei to give a poo poo about his pear-faced garbage.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I just want to post here to be part of something historic

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
From a plucky start to getting helldumped to actually making a goal.

The american dream. :911:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
A bunch of people on my twitter feed have been posting about this for the past few days. It seemed kinda dumb on the face of it, so I didn't give any money.

After reading this thread, from start to end, I'm glad I didn't give any money.

I'm just a little surprised that Boyko's not an Otaku too. Oh well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus loving Christ.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Drastic Actions posted:

A bunch of people on my twitter feed have been posting about this for the past few days. It seemed kinda dumb on the face of it, so I didn't give any money.

After reading this thread, from start to end, I'm glad I didn't give any money.

I'm just a little surprised that Boyko's not an Otaku too. Oh well.

Otakus are what sad nerds identified as before 2010, the new, hip obsession for the malsocialized is MLP.

As seen above.

He's actually looking really bad now :smith:

And yeah this is all retarded because until Scalia or one of his toxic ilk among the puppet appointments to the supreme Court finally retire or choke on a pretzel, ain't no campaign finance restrictions gonna stick.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What are the odds that one of them gave the sum that tipped them over the target, in order to access the money?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

goatse.cx posted:

Hahaha this guy is incredible, he keeps using the same account of his mayone campaign to post about pony poo poo, even after the embarrasment here

hmmmm.......

hmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

do you have something to tell us boyko

holy lol

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Samurai Quack posted:

Otakus are what sad nerds identified as before 2010, the new, hip obsession for the malsocialized is MLP.

As seen above.

He's actually looking really bad now :smith:

And yeah this is all retarded because until Scalia or one of his toxic ilk among the puppet appointments to the supreme Court finally retire or choke on a pretzel, ain't no campaign finance restrictions gonna stick.

hes not advocating for campaign finance restriction. He's advocating for this:

him on reddit posted:

Here's how it works:
Each citizen of voting age would get a voucher of some sum, let's say $50. That $50 comes from the taxes that citizen paid personally.
That citizen would be enabled to spend that voucher on any candidate running for federal office. (I would also, personally, add the option that one choose to have that voucher go to "no candidate" in which case that money would be for the administration of elections - poll workers and the like, but we're talking about Lessig's Grant and Franklin plan.)
Candidates can only accept the money from the vouchers if they also agree to adhere to an additional restriction - that they accept no more than $200 from individual donors and that they take no other sources of money. If they do not agree to these restrictions, they are perfectly capable of opting out, in which case, they simply fundraise as they do now.
Citizens would only get one $50 voucher, but they can spend as much as they like on any candidate who does not opt-in, or on multiple candidates who do opt in, so long as it is not more than $200 for any one candidate.
This plan in no way addresses independent speech. If John Doe decides to opt-in, and I want to spend $50,000 electing him, nothing prevents me from giving $200 to his campaign, and $49,800 on billboards that say: "Thanks, John Doe, for being awesome!"
Personally, I thought it was brilliant, not the least because no American is restricted in what they can say or how. The only restrictions are on people who voluntarily opt-in to be bound by those restrictions.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i love that he's going to fix money in politics by turning money over to "professional campaigners"

all the good organizers already have jobs with candidates. just like every other election cycle. anyone who is any good at campaigning is just as firmly attached to the money tit as the politicians. so either he's getting second-rate campaigners who couldn't manage to get a real job, or green recent grads fresh out of their parent-funded trip to costa rica "just kinda finding themselves, you know?", or he's just straight giving money to candidates' campaigns like every other special interest group in the country

Highly doubtful it goes to organizers or any kind of real infrastructure. From what Boyko said here they'll be putting the money into advertising in "select races" to "make campaign finance reform the hot button issue". The money will go to TV guys who will promptly piss it all away. Seen it happen too drat many times to count.

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 5, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet they could get a few dozen 30 second prime time ads with this cash.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

goatse.cx posted:

hes not advocating for campaign finance restriction. He's advocating for this:

So a per-vote subsidy, only optional and targeted towards candidates instead of parties, and therefore worthless. While doing absolutely nothing to fight the spread of PACs which are the biggest problem.

I mean, a per vote subsidy is a semi-good idea if you're looking to get more people to vote in gerrymandered districts but the way this is implemented is like giving everyone a token to pretend they are big rich 1%ers for a second while they choose which candidate to try and buy off, only to get told to sit down by the real Rich who control more tokens then the rest of the country combined

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What the fuuuuck is r/ploungeafterdark

e: I literally have the terrible power to learn this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
pony lounge after dark