Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CatsPajamas posted:

I think the point everyone is missing is that Wonderful 101 is the best "beat up a bunch of guys" game in existence. Why yes, I did just start playing it thanks for asking. Real good thing I had read enough about it to buy the block and dodge moves though, because drat I cannot imagine playing the game without them.

Hang on - Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1+2, Hyrule Warriors, Special Edition Guacamelee...when did the Wii U become the Action Game system?

It's a brave new world. The return of Nintendo Hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil's Third is coming, too, but I don't know what to think about that game anymore.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dramicus posted:

Holy poo poo, after all the negative stuff I've heard about ZombiU, I picked it up on sale and it's much better than I was expecting.

I don't really see why people were making GBS threads on it so much, it seems to be really atmospheric.

Most of the people i've seen making GBS threads on it are making GBS threads on it because there is only one melee weapon in the whole game and like two swings. To me that helps instantly push in your head that EVERYTHING can kill you at anytime. You are never safe because even though there is the super simple melee system you can easily gently caress it up and get eaten. Plus reaching into a backpack to gently caress with an inventory or punch in a code and a couple of zombies you missed start shuffling toward you out of the corner of your eyes is the loving bees knees.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Dramicus posted:

Holy poo poo, after all the negative stuff I've heard about ZombiU, I picked it up on sale and it's much better than I was expecting.

I don't really see why people were making GBS threads on it so much, it seems to be really atmospheric.
Most people associate zombie games with CoD: Zombies, Dead Rising and Resident Evil so they went in expecting that and when they got survival horror without infinite bullets they were offended. Deeply offended.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Commissar Ken posted:

Most of the people i've seen making GBS threads on it are making GBS threads on it because there is only one melee weapon in the whole game and like two swings. To me that helps instantly push in your head that EVERYTHING can kill you at anytime. You are never safe because even though there is the super simple melee system you can easily gently caress it up and get eaten. Plus reaching into a backpack to gently caress with an inventory or punch in a code and a couple of zombies you missed start shuffling toward you out of the corner of your eyes is the loving bees knees.

I've just ordered it too, but i could see where gripes come from for there being only one melee weapon.

We're now in an age of games where almost anyhting can be picked up, and in the case of the Zombie game genre, a staple since Dead Rising has been that you can pick up almost anything to use in defence.

I mean, yeah i get that it's going to be one weapon because of "atmosphere" but i hardly think atmosphere would change that much from being able to pick up another blunt object nearby. Just limit the player to being only able to ever carry 1 and you've got the same situation.

It's just like the tank controls in Resident Evil 5. Rather than creating a tense/suspenseful environment through a logically fearful scenario (you've only got 2 hands so you can only carry one weapon) you're artificially handicapped by some unknown force that prevents you from having a basic set of functions, i.e. picking up a different one that might handle slightly differently like an axe or large knife.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There are only two things you ever need to know about gamers and one of them is never say you don't like x video game to a group of them. Because in general they cannot be held responsible for harassing you until you never want to talk about video games ever again. If you don't like Dynasty Warriors or whatever because it's horrible just never mention it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

There are only two things you ever need to know about gamers and one of them is never say you don't like x video game to a group of them. Because in general they cannot be held responsible for harassing you until you never want to talk about video games ever again. If you don't like Dynasty Warriors or whatever because it's horrible just never mention it.

Or you can say you don't like a game but not do it in the same breath as insulting everyone who does like the game. A wild idea, I know.

I have plenty of games I genuinely dislike and mysteriously I can have conversations about them, even on the internet, because I don't lead off with "and everyone who likes it is an autistic sperg" or whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 5, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nolgthorn posted:

There's a big difference between "I don't like _____ game because(insert legitimate reasons)", and "I think Bayonetta is garbage after playing it for 30 minutes and everyone who likes it is an idiot."

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

ZombiU.. I'm still on the fence about the game, mainly because it's dirt cheap everywhere and I always hear that it's good, but make no mistake it is a survival horror game- which has never really been my favourite genre, and I'm kinda sick of zombies by this point
I'll probably get it eventually since the price is so low, but I have a feeling I'd give up after my first character dies or something. We'll see maybe.

Not sure when I put spudsbuckley on my ignore list, but he's proven that he belongs there.

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 5, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I've found that gamers will take anything negative said about their favourite games as a personal insult regardless of whether you call them an autistic sperg outright or not. I have had many legitimate griveances about games and the answer is that I'm the biggest moron who has ever lived.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I've found that gamers will take anything negative said about their favourite games as a personal insult regardless of whether you call them an autistic sperg outright or not. I have had many legitimate concerns about games, or commentary on what games are missing and the answer is apparently that I'm the biggest moron who has ever lived.

Sounds like sssssomebody's mad that their feelings got hurt.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nolgthorn posted:

I've found that gamers will take anything negative said about their favourite games as a personal insult regardless of whether you call them an autistic sperg outright or not. I have had many legitimate griveances about games and the answer is that I'm the biggest moron who has ever lived.

Dude, are you okay?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Zombi U is the loving poo poo and severely underrated

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Best survival horror game I have ever played

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Strange Quark posted:

Dude, are you okay?

YCS broke so many good men. :smith:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Mainly I just want to say some bad things about games and I can't so I'm disappointed. My suggestion would just have been to tone that down a bit so that us people who aren't big fans of anything can have some fun by joining in the discussion too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Well, again, it depends on what you mean by legitimate grievances and how you phrase it. Also sometimes people will just disagree with your grievances. That doesn't mean you're an idiot for having them. In some cases it is a difference of opinion and in some cases people legitimately miss or misunderstand things about the game and come away with a wrong impression.

Kewpuh posted:

This is very true.

Nolgthorn posted:

Mainly I just want to say some bad things about games and I can't so I'm disappointed. My suggestion would just have been to tone that down a bit so that us people who aren't big fans of anything can have some fun by joining in the discussion too.

You can say all the bad things about games you want. You're just not protected from people responding to your comments, especially if they happen to be factually inaccurate or egregiously hyperbolic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 5, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Kewpuh posted:

The IGN review describes a mechanic where you swing a cricket bat but it is hard to know how much damage it will do, so you end up swinging it a lot. This is a problem because the character you play makes a sort of "hyuung!" sound every time and the reviewer said that was incredibly annoying. Is the cricket bat really that big of an aspect? What are the big takeaways here, if I were an incredibly cynical easily annoyed person.

I want to love again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

The IGN review describes a mechanic where you swing a cricket bat but it is hard to know how much damage it will do, so you end up swinging it a lot. This is a problem because the character you play makes a sort of "hyuung!" sound every time and the reviewer said that was incredibly annoying. Is the cricket bat really that big of an aspect? What are the big takeaways here, if I were an incredibly cynical easily annoyed person.

I want to love again.

The IGN reviewer is bad at the game. The cricket bat is your primary melee weapon but you can 'charge' it and aim for the enemy's head for effectively an instant-kill attack. If you're swinging it wildly like a moron you're going to get eaten. A well-aimed charge swing is always better than swinging wildly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dramicus posted:

My feeling on ZombiU is that it's got some creative ideas but it wound up being a bit too shallow. It was close enough that I'd definitely be interested in a sequel if one came along, though.

For my next trick, I will say negative things about one of the most beloved games in this thread and get away with it! Zelda: Wind Waker is a bad game. Despite the improvements in the HD version there's a lot of basic usability problems with the game. The majority of the play time is just empty, pointless, interactionless sailing even with the fast sail. There's less to do in the game and consequentially Nintendo padded everything out with pointless filler. It's got good moments but taken as whole the game falls flat.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

ImpAtom posted:

You can say all the bad things about games you want. You're just not protected from people responding to your comments, especially if they happen to be factually inaccurate or egregiously hyperbolic.

Thank you and the people who agree with you for being smart and sensible.

Got ZombiU but I haven't actually played it yet. Good to hear that a charged attack will serve better than mashing buttons wildly. Don't know when I'll get to it since I still have to beat all the staff ghosts in Mario Kart 8, finish Super Mario 3D world, and I'm currently addicted to Wonderful 101, but are there any other non-spoiler tips or such to know about ZombiU?

Edit:

Random Stranger posted:

For my next trick, I will say negative things about one of the most beloved games in this thread and get away with it! Zelda: Wind Waker is a bad game. Despite the improvements in the HD version there's a lot of basic usability problems with the game. The majority of the play time is just empty, pointless, interactionless sailing even with the fast sail. There's less to do in the game and consequentially Nintendo padded everything out with pointless filler. It's got good moments but taken as whole the game falls flat.

I think most people would agree with you about the sailing timewise. For your first time playing sailing is neat though, but it does get old. However, I think you're really underestimating how much the Swift Sail helps. It helps a lot.

What makes you think sailing means there's less to do in Wind Waker though? Running around places has been part of every Zelda game (replace running with Sailing for WW). I don't think Wind Waker has significantly less content if you take out the travel time from it and any other given Zelda game. Granted, I would have still preferred Majora's Mask HD for the Wii U...

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 5, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought sailing owned, and also walking around Morrowind

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ZombiU has a lot of stuff in it that could be greatly improved by a sequel, which they prototyped but they said they ultimately have no plans to make one because ZombiU didn't make very much money. It's a real shame because that general gameplay concept lended itself to so many different places, I would have loved like ZombiU: Hong Kong or something along those lines. Super cramped Asian city structures filled with zombies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Zombi U isn't perfect. It has a lot of flaws, but a good number of those flaws are ones that could have been trivially corrected in a sequel in response to player feedback.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I want to love again.

I don't have any opinions on ZombiU but wipe IGN out of any review queue you might have, their writers are awful and their articles are half-baked at best.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I wish I could buy ZombiU to support it, because that's the sort of message consumers need to send in order to counter stuff like Ubisoft's "we're literally just sitting on some Wii U games until the console sells more" thing, but I know I would never touch it because I've never been one for survival horror (I even prefer the action-oriented Resident Evils) and the jump scare in the demo legitimately scared the poo poo out of me in a way that no video game has since that stupid Beady Long Legs in Pikmin 1 jumped out of loving nowhere right on top of me and my bomb-carrying dude to blow up my entire army.

Speaking of, my fiancee is getting way more time out of Pikmin 3 than I have, it's kind of surprising. She isn't one for anything except the Lego games, usually, but she is really into Mission mode. Though she hasn't tried the story mode since the sun set while she was fighting the first boss and it had scarfed up her whole army, leaving her with like 3 pikmin left.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm really just shocked that Ubisoft apparently dropped the franchise entirely. When they started talking about how ZombiU failed to sell on Wii U I was expecting something like the sequel will be made for PS4/XB1 and then later down the line they'll do a Wii U port, but they just straight up killed it. That's ridiculous.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

I wish I could buy ZombiU to support it, because that's the sort of message consumers need to send in order to counter stuff like Ubisoft's "we're literally just sitting on some Wii U games until the console sells more" thing, but I know I would never touch it because I've never been one for survival horror (I even prefer the action-oriented Resident Evils) and the jump scare in the demo legitimately scared the poo poo out of me in a way that no video game has since that stupid Beady Long Legs in Pikmin 1 jumped out of loving nowhere right on top of me and my bomb-carrying dude to blow up my entire army.

Speaking of, my fiancee is getting way more time out of Pikmin 3 than I have, it's kind of surprising. She isn't one for anything except the Lego games, usually, but she is really into Mission mode. Though she hasn't tried the story mode since the sun set while she was fighting the first boss and it had scarfed up her whole army, leaving her with like 3 pikmin left.

You should coax her to play pikmin 2 after 3, what better way to lose all your pikmin then a giant living water blob or laser spider? :getin:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

I'm really just shocked that Ubisoft apparently dropped the franchise entirely. When they started talking about how ZombiU failed to sell on Wii U I was expecting something like the sequel will be made for PS4/XB1 and then later down the line they'll do a Wii U port, but they just straight up killed it. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, for a long time they've been talking about how they don't make games/IPs that can't be broken up and resold multiple times over different platforms, so I was sure we'd have seen a terrible iOS port at the least, but, nothing.

Maybe Nintendo has some stake in the IP and Ubisoft killed it out of spite, it seems like a lot of big publishers like to kick Nintendo whenever they get a chance.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

CatsPajamas posted:

Thank you and the people who agree with you for being smart and sensible.

Got ZombiU but I haven't actually played it yet. Good to hear that a charged attack will serve better than mashing buttons wildly. Don't know when I'll get to it since I still have to beat all the staff ghosts in Mario Kart 8, finish Super Mario 3D world, and I'm currently addicted to Wonderful 101, but are there any other non-spoiler tips or such to know about ZombiU?

Edit:

I think most people would agree with you about the sailing timewise. For your first time playing sailing is neat though, but it does get old. However, I think you're really underestimating how much the Swift Sail helps. It helps a lot.

What makes you think sailing means there's less to do in Wind Waker though? Running around places has been part of every Zelda game (replace running with Sailing for WW). I don't think Wind Waker has significantly less content if you take out the travel time from it and any other given Zelda game. Granted, I would have still preferred Majora's Mask HD for the Wii U...

I've played a bit of ZombiU and I'm not sure that "charged attack" is the best term. You can ready an attack before a zombie gets to you but as far as I'm aware it won't be a one hit kill unless you hit the zombie perfectly. I haven't played through the whole game, but I didn't notice any sort of charging mechanic in the levels I did beat. Game is still really good though!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, for a long time they've been talking about how they don't make games/IPs that can't be broken up and resold multiple times over different platforms, so I was sure we'd have seen a terrible iOS port at the least, but, nothing.

Maybe Nintendo has some stake in the IP and Ubisoft killed it out of spite, it seems like a lot of big publishers like to kick Nintendo whenever they get a chance.

Nah. Ubisoft tried a Nintendo-exclusive IP because they had a really good relationship with Nintendo. The Wii was a money-printing device for Ubisoft and so they were hoping to get in with a good relationship for Nintendo's next system.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I wish Zombie U had stuck with the original aliens concept. I think that might have helped it stand out more from the hordes of low budget janky zombie games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

I wish Zombie U had stuck with the original aliens concept. I think that might have helped it stand out more from the hordes of low budget janky zombie games.

Zombies in the past 5 years is the new Ninjas of 1985-1992. I think those years have permanently ruined the concept of ninjas for me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

Zombies in the past 5 years is the new Ninjas of 1985-1992. I think those years have permanently ruined the concept of ninjas for me.

Don't get bitten by a zomber

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a confession to make. I've never made it past the part in Wind Waker where you get your sword. I don't know why I'm posting this now but yup. I always get lost in all the rooms and towers and give up when I eventually fall and have to navigate through everything. I'm a terrible gamer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a confession to make. I've never made it past the part in Wind Waker where you get your sword. I don't know why I'm posting this now but yup. I always get lost in all the rooms and towers and give up when I eventually fall and have to navigate through everything. I'm a terrible gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7f_nCKfFw

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I set the game down for like a week with that poo poo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nolgthorn posted:

:qfg:

Nolgthorn posted:

Mario game with cats in it features a furry suit that basically turns you into not-mario, you become super powered and can do infinity different things. Including at the end of a stage it just automatically climbs up to the top of the flag pole for you. The only thing more powerful than that thing that constantly makes cat noises (so cute) is the ridiculous white tanooki suit. The white tanooki suit if for after babby walks into too many enemies on the way to the other side of the level, it shows up on every level, it makes you invincible.

It looks like an expertly crafted and beautiful game, but it also appears to me to be an exceedingly easy game for which bragging rights are completely gone. Why someone would suggest it is better than SMG or even SMG2 is I dunno, strange to me.

:horse:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To add to my previous comment about the awesome amount of content in SM3DW I am amazed that there is a new powerup in the endgame, even if it is only a minor modification of an existing one

Also, I haven't found a single stamp in world shroom and I only missed one in the whole game before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Trent posted:

To add to my previous comment about the awesome amount of content in SM3DW I am amazed that there is a new powerup in the endgame, even if it is only a minor modification of an existing one

Also, I haven't found a single stamp in world shroom and I only missed one in the whole game before that.

There aren't any stamps there, or in any of the worlds after if I remember right.

• Locked thread