Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

the nicker posted:

I'm bored with my scooter and ready for babby's first motorcycle. Are any of these deals not terrible? It seems like the cafe racer style bikes are overpriced in my area due to their popularity :/ Especially the honda CB's, which i really like the look of.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4537069504.html -- awesome

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4543735740.html -- mediocre

Everything else is wicked overpriced.

Cleveland Cyclewerks is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Ad title aside, do you think it's suitable for a starter bike? According to wikipedia it's well over the OP's recommended 70hp limit for beginners

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

the nicker posted:

Ad title aside, do you think it's suitable for a starter bike? According to wikipedia it's well over the OP's recommended 70hp limit for beginners

I'd say yes but YOLO.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

the nicker posted:

How many pieces do you want your mailbox in?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

the nicker posted:

Jeez, I had no idea a Hornet put out nearly 100 hp. I don't know. It's up to you. If it runs well, it's a good bike for the price. You said you're coming from a scooter, so you already know how a two wheeled vehicle handles. If it runs well, and if you think you can avoid unintended navigation into Camry, go for it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah that's surprising, especially considering the 919 makes about 100hp. The 599 must absolutely scream when you cane it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I would say the 599 would make a good second bike (though apparently it's "so boring", whatever that means for a middleweight standard motorcycle that delivers a large amount of power with flawless Honda reliability). Maybe a little big for your first. But if you're been screwing around on scooters for a while it may be just fine.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

the nicker posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4548382669.html - looks cool but i've never heard of cleveland cyclewerks.

CCW is a small company that designs bikes in America but manufactures them in China. I've heard mixed reviews but think their stuff looks great, and its all built around a clone of an old Honda powerplant so at least from an engine perspective they should be pretty reliable (though I've heard people complain about other things falling off/being cheap on them)

They're only about 3300 new, so 2700 sounds high to me, I might offer him 2000 if it was still around? Looks like its been well taken care of, I'd be interested in one if I knew I would never have to get on the interstate.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Only consider that 599 of any of the bikes linked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ADINSX posted:

CCW is a small company that designs bikes in America but manufactures them in China. I've heard mixed reviews but think their stuff looks great, and its all built around a clone of an old Honda powerplant so at least from an engine perspective they should be pretty reliable (though I've heard people complain about other things falling off/being cheap on them)

I don't know anything about the CCW reliability (presumably you can at least get spare parts for them, since they are actually a company based in the USA and not just some storefront gray-market importer with a shipping container full of scooters), but having seen a few in person, you should know that they're quite tiny. Smaller than a Ninja 250, and more down around SYM Wolf Classic size. A normal sized man could ride one, but they're clearly meant to be small city bikes more than something you'd take a road trip on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I would say the 599 would make a good second bike (though apparently it's "so boring", whatever that means for a middleweight standard motorcycle that delivers a large amount of power with flawless Honda reliability). Maybe a little big for your first. But if you're been screwing around on scooters for a while it may be just fine.

Having ridden a hornet 600 I can categorically say it was a lot less boring than my 919 :)

It's how I picture a nakedised CBR600 F4 would ride, having never ridden one of those.

n8r posted:

Only consider that 599 of any of the bikes linked.

For once, you're 100% correct. All the rest are terrible. And even a hornet 600 is, I think, too much bike for someone who only has scooter experience.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

For once, you're 100% correct. All the rest are terrible. And even a hornet 600 is, I think, too much bike for someone who only has scooter experience.

I hope to attain the posting accuracy you have with regard to modern fuel injection systems.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

"Slavvy" posted:

Don't encourage him.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Echoing it: save the hornet, all of those are terrible ideas for a motorcycle. Even that is pretty up there.

Also just so you know a CBR900RR is lighter than most. It was more than likely you just weren't used to the position. Don't be afraid of heavy bikes. Which a CBR900RR (be afraid of this for the power) is definitely not.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Thanks for the insight ya'll - I figured they were overpriced but just didn't know by how much. Is the used bike market this inflated everywhere or is Austin particularly bad? I really don't wanna deal with the logistics of buying in another city, but if I can save a grand...

Also, considering my scooter experience is with a 180lb 50cc machine that barely does 40 downhill with a tailwind, I don't think it counts for much at all. I'm thinking I should finally go and take the MSF course before buying

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 3, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

the nicker posted:

Thanks for the insight ya'll - I figured they were overpriced but just didn't know by how much. Is the used bike market this inflated everywhere or is Austin particularly bad? I really don't wanna deal with the logistics of buying in another city, but if I can save a grand...

Also, considering my scooter experience is with a 180lb 50cc machine that barely does 40 downhill with a tailwind, I don't think it counts for much at all. I'm thinking I should finally go and take the MSF course before buying

Definitely take the MSF course. I don't know how your area ones work, but most of ours are run at the respective manufacturer's facilities. I did mine at Honda. It was cool because I got to see and choose from a nice variety of bikes that I never would have had an opportunity to really engage with otherwise. In the end, I went from wanting a sport bike to picking up a dual sport after riding the CRF230 all weekend. It was supermoto'd out and made that big of an impression on me. It's the best way to acclimate yourself to riding a real motorcycle and also figure a little better what you want to ride.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Some of these just become Beat poetry:

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid and that was ended abruptly when some jackass broke into my dad's shop and stole my 250cc bike, and my baby brothers little 50cc bike. I really want to get back into riding on light trails and such but I also want to be able to run around on the road and use it as a commuter. A friend suggested a Kawasaki KLR 650. Any other suggestions as to a make/model that would suit my needs? I'd prefer something easy and cheap to work on, and not a beast to work through my license test.

Edit: I'm a 6'1 300~lbs white guy.. Probably won't look great on a sleek sport bike.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 3, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

slightpirate posted:

I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid and that was ended abruptly when some jackass broke into my dad's shop and stole my 250cc bike, and my baby brothers little 50cc bike. I really want to get back into riding on light trails and such but I also want to be able to run around on the road and use it as a commuter. A friend suggested a Kawasaki KLR 650. Any other suggestions as to a make/model that would suit my needs? I'd prefer something easy and cheap to work on, and not a beast to work through my license test.

I've owned a KLR650. If you are used to smaller dirt bikes and more nimble beasts, you might not dig it. It's very long and quite tall, so it doesn't really handle like a 250cc dirt bike at all. It's designed to handle lighter trails and eat up paved roads on the way there. It's not quite as dirt oriented as the Honda offering in the class, though.

I wouldn't suggest it as something to take a licensing test on, as it's not very agile and doesn't inspire confidence with the center of gravity and high standover height. That's kind of the rub, though, if you want a bike that is cheap, can be used as a commuter, but also handle some trail riding, you look at bikes with better ground clearance and larger fuel tanks like the KLR.

I do know two short guys (we are talking short) that love their Transalps. I'm not a Transalp fanboy in the least, and they border on cult bikes, but it might be a better bike for your needs. I have never ridden one so I can't speak to its abilities or feel, however.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slightpirate posted:

I like KLRs. Everything ShaneB said is correct, but KLRs are awesome and you should get one anyway.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

slightpirate posted:

Edit: I'm a 6'1 300~lbs white guy.. Probably won't look great on a sleek sport bike.

I was going to write in "WR250R" as it would probably fit the 250cc "mostly trails, some road" thing 110%, but now that I see your size I'm going to suggest a Honda XR650L or KLR. The KLR is probably a lot more common and easy to find, but either would suit you well. Just keep in mind that, while you're definitely going to be better offroad than a BMW R1200GS or other adventure-tourer, you're not going to be anywhere close to a proper 250cc dirtbike for maneuverability.

How much commuting vs. light trails do you envision doing? Are we talking "ride to work every day, take a trail on the weekend" thing? Because honestly, it might pay off to get a good, comfortable on-road commuter like a UJM and then have a dedicated offroad machine if you seriously want to go places.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'll be on the road more than trails, and I have no issue getting a bike for just that. A guy at work has a white 2008 Honda Shadow with 28 miles on it that he's looking to get rid of. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "UJM"?

Friends bike - I'm not a huge fan of the cruiser style. I'm not a big HD fan, and this looks like a HD clone.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/4484586683.html

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 3, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slightpirate posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "UJM"?

Universal Japanese Motorcycle

IE: Generic bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Japanese_motorcycle

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Preferably a modern one, not a 30 year old vintage one.

Actually the new Honda CB500X would likely be a good bike for him, much better street manners than a KLR, but can still do light trails with some different tires (someone on here bought one and the stock tires were crap off road).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actually the new Honda CB500X would likely be a good bike for him, much better street manners than a KLR, but can still do light trails with some different tires (someone on here bought one and the stock tires were crap off road).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630822

Seconding the CB500X. It's a neat bike.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It really has no ground clearance though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ShaneB posted:

It really has no ground clearance though.

Yeah, it's really going to come down to what mix of steet/dirt he is wanting to do. For more dirt maybe a DRZ400? He could join the kool kid sumo club.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

slightpirate posted:

I'll be on the road more than trails, and I have no issue getting a bike for just that.

Does your commute involve highway riding? If so, the second bike thing might be more comfortable in the long run. KLRs and the like are perfectly capable of highway riding but aren't ideal for it when compared to, say, the suggested CB500X or other street-oriented bikes (note: I know this from what I gathered on the forums and have not owned nor ridden a KLR myself, take it with a grain of salt).

Honestly, if you want to just fart around on dirt paths like old fire trails and mining trails, then the CB500X suggestion, KLR, DRZ, all the other stuff that was mentioned are just fine and you would enjoy riding them. If you're looking to ride up some washed-out weird thin trails with rocks and logs to jump I'd consider the second bike route just so you aren't breaking expensive plastic and parts when you eventually bin it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

ShaneB posted:

Fixed that for you.

He isn't that far off from saying everything is overpriced. I'm also on the bike search for the last month in Austin. I have no idea why old rebels are going for 2300 and ninja 250s for 2900.

I don't want a cafe bike and I still can't find anything sub 2000 worth my time that isn't located in some bumfuck suburb that no one wants to drive an hour to on a toll road.

also:

The Nicker take your MSF. You will learn a ton from it. It was the best thing I have done this year and I feel a world more confident now than I did going into looking for a motorcycle a few months back. I rode mopeds for years and realized after taking the class I didn't know a single drat thing about how to ride a motorcycle, traffic laws, or safety.

Minkee fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 4, 2014

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Going to check out this bike tomorrow. Anything I should look for or ask about?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4544276899.html

The Owner posted:

5 pm tomorrow works. I do not have any maintenance records. The previous owner had the clutch replaced and put a new chain and sprocket on it recently. I have not had the bike very long. It is too much for me so I bought a cruiser. The steering wheel locks. I do not have any accessories such as lock, cover, etc. It runs great. It is cold blooded and takes a bit to warm up. Fires right up, cold or hot. Title is clean and all electronics work.

I want to make sure you noticed the left side panel is faded.

Edit: I checked it out and if I buy it, I'll be taking it in for valves/carb adjustment/oil asap. It runs a bit rich (I can smell it) and the idle is just a tiny bit rough. Having current maintenance will give me peace of mind.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm scouting the area for my first bike and I came across a few that have caught my eye. The last few I've jumped on I have been a day late and a second short on calling.

I found a nighthawk 250 at an okay price and I was wondering if 20,000 miles is far too many for my first bike. I have heard these engines will run forever.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4548941118.html

Should I offer 1500 on it and see if they bite? (I already got a reply -- they did not bite and said 1800)

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4553204195.html
I also found a 1971 Honda CB350 :allears:
Which I know is usually a terrible idea, but it has 12k miles and looks to be in fair shape.

Minkee fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

20k miles is like 35 - 40k kms rights? That's not really that much.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrod posted:

20k miles is like 35 - 40k kms rights? That's not really that much.

Relatively speaking, yeah. 20k on a high-effort thumper like a 690SMC might be getting up there. Reading ADVRider (yeah, I know) their LC4 engines in the 690SMCs can vary between 12k and 25k before significant work is needed. The balls-out, high power singles can be getting "old" around 20k, and it also heavily depends on the usage of the motor, highway, hard acceleration, etc. That said, for a VFR or other "relaxed" 4-cylinder used in a sport-tourer, 20k is like the break-in period.

That said, I think you're right - I don't think the parallel twin on the CB250 would give you any issues at 20k. I would be more interested in checking to make sure that the fork seals look good on it, as that's a common inspection failure point. Make sure the battery is okay, make sure the engine doesn't have any weird knocking, and then ride the hell out of it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Ripoff posted:

Relatively speaking, yeah. 20k on a high-effort thumper like a 690SMC might be getting up there. Reading ADVRider (yeah, I know) their LC4 engines in the 690SMCs can vary between 12k and 25k before significant work is needed. The balls-out, high power singles can be getting "old" around 20k, and it also heavily depends on the usage of the motor, highway, hard acceleration, etc. That said, for a VFR or other "relaxed" 4-cylinder used in a sport-tourer, 20k is like the break-in period.

That said, I think you're right - I don't think the parallel twin on the CB250 would give you any issues at 20k. I would be more interested in checking to make sure that the fork seals look good on it, as that's a common inspection failure point. Make sure the battery is okay, make sure the engine doesn't have any weird knocking, and then ride the hell out of it.

Oh that's too bad to hear about the 690, I figured that modern tech would result in more relaxed overhaul intervals; I guess KTM just traded that all for power? My old 80s thumper needed a top-end overhaul every 20k which I thought was bullshit.

But yeah that Nighthawk will keep running forever.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm pretty sure the newer 690s are supposed to be more reliable than that if you keep certain things in check, but I never -really- looked into them and it's hard to tell just by what people on thumpertalk say.

Hell you can gently caress a DRZ up real good if you don't change the oil all that often, ride it hard, and get unlucky with the automatic cam chain tensioner that comes with it.

e: Google tells me some of them have bottom-end issues. It's kind of hard to tell between the fact that nobody really owns them and internet nerds don't seem to put many miles on them. I'm seeing tons of posts that are basically dudes going "No way I hit 4-10k mi and it's still going strong this thing is a tank!!"

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 6, 2014

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

e: Google tells me some of them have bottom-end issues. It's kind of hard to tell between the fact that nobody really owns them and internet nerds don't seem to put many miles on them. I'm seeing tons of posts that are basically dudes going "No way I hit 4-10k mi and it's still going strong this thing is a tank!!"

Yeah you can really get the influence of the "poo poo's gone wrong, so I made an internet account to ask about it" thing. It could be that these failures are few and far between, and most 690 riders go another 15-20k beyond any numbers mentioned without issue. I'm probably looking at flawed, anecdotal evidence at best as I was looking at 690's a while back before I was moved across the world. I was looking for a fun motorcycle that would eat the numerous potholes surrounding my house without issue, and logically a supermoto would be the best bet. I got the impression that a beat-on KTM one with 15k miles on it would need major maintenance soon (which "major" doesn't even make sense for, as the singles are impressively simple).

Hell I was looking at the new Ducati Monsters (I have an obsession with Euro manufacturers as of late) and right now on the Monster forums there are threads about the engines stalling out at random. Does this mean that all of them are broken machines that Ducati sent out half-assed from the factory, or are these the people who are confused as gently caress, look it up, see a thread on an internet forum, and then register and post about it? Who knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There are basically no problems with the 690SMC engine - you have to realize that ktm has called every single in their bikes the "LC4" for the last 15 years, and all of their V-twins are "LC8". There are a couple of guys on adv rider using poo poo gas and oil riding 690 enduros around the world with over 50k on their bikes with no issues.

The current generation of the 690 engine is likely to go anywhere from 75k to 150k with nothing but valve adjustments and oil changes, before needing any internal work, depending on how you ride it and take care of it. The bigger issue is on the early sms, dukes, and enduros that the throttle response is crazy precise for most...the newer bikes with ride by wire are much more manageable

Ducati has really major QC issues and often totally fails to correctly tune their bikes to pass CA/US emissions, leading to lots of issues. I would expect to deal with some finanagling if i bought one.

Ktm seems to have really benedited from their partnership with bajaj and has upped volume and reduced price without losing quality...yet. fingers crossed it stays that way, cause I bought a 2014. :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 6, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

There are basically no problems with the 690SMC engine - you have to realize that ktm has called every single in their bikes the "LC4" for the last 15 years, and all of their V-twins are "LC8". There are a couple of guys on adv rider using poo poo gas and oil riding 690 enduros around the world with over 50k on their bikes with no issues.

The current generation of the 690 engine is likely to go anywhere from 75k to 150k with nothing but valve adjustments and oil changes, before needing any internal work, depending on how you ride it and take care of it. The bigger issue is on the early sms, dukes, and enduros that the throttle response is crazy precise for most...the newer bikes with ride by wire are much more manageable

Ducati has really major QC issues and often totally fails to correctly tune their bikes to pass CA/US emissions, leading to lots of issues. I would expect to deal with some finanagling if i bought one.

Ktm seems to have really benedited from their partnership with bajaj and has upped volume and reduced price without losing quality...yet. fingers crossed it stays that way, cause I bought a 2014. :v:

I'm looking at '08ish SMCs and Dukes for when I move back to Canada, so your post is pretty reassuring. KTM has been selling 690s in the UK for ages, and they certainly haven't got any reputation of being dogs from anything that I've heard. Sure the older 640s might shake themselves to pieces, but the engine will still be going once all the bolts have come off.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4553721498.html

Does that chain look rusty to anyone? Or is that just the color of the metal/dirt?

That looks like a steal for a nice trail/MX bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
In Georgia, it could be all of the above.

It could be the stand, but it looks as if that chain is a bit stretched.