Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps commits war-crimes. (or just plagiarizes Frozen)

I've not seen Frozen, but that's a straight-up Arrested Development joke. Though the cartoonist has said that they just write down the jokes friends make, which is probably how things like this slip in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Happy July Fouaraghlahblahgahblah.

Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I've been wondering the same thing. I stopped reading it once it became a lovely Jim's Journal.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Why don't these have anything to do with rock and roll anymore?

It's metaphorical. I'm posting in order. Sometimes they are bog-standard "I met musician!" stories, sometimes they're not.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva posted:

I didn't realize it was a translation; somehow I missed that part of the origin of these, and I'm genuinely grateful that folks here take the time to translate stuff. My apologies and appreciation to the translator!

Just for the record, I don't translate poo poo. I'm pulling these straight from GoComics.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, hey, drama.

Dick Tracy

Oh, Brother

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is surprisingly un-patriotic today.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Why....Why couldn't the House Computer just grow his own body in a vat, and just put himself in there?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Morrie truly was one of the greats.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

GorfZaplen posted:

I've been thinking... Wee Pals was launched on February 15, 1965. Depending on just how deep Morrie's buffer really is, it's not out of the question that "50 continuous years of a comic strip, without repeats, all by the original author" could be added to his list of accomplishments. (And firsts? Has anybody else ever done that?)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GorfZaplen posted:

An absolute legend. May his backlog keep going forever!

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Those Ice Cream Dorgs :3:

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This Incoherent Garbage :argh:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TofuDiva posted:

I've been thinking... Wee Pals was launched on February 15, 1965. Depending on just how deep Morrie's buffer really is, it's not out of the question that "50 continuous years of a comic strip, without repeats, all by the original author" could be added to his list of accomplishments. (And firsts? Has anybody else ever done that?)

Didn't someone say he had like 9 months of strips backlogged when he died?

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't someone say he had like 9 months of strips backlogged when he died?

It's supposed to end in late September so I've heard.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Sorry kids, but material forces beyond your control or the control of anyone else, together with a cynical, exhausted political order mean that your potential life outcomes are poorer and more constrained than those of the recent generations that came before you in many ways. No one to witness and adjust, no one to drive the car

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Thing happens--person reacts. WOW! Must be psychic!

Rex Morgan MD

Sally Jesse Raphael is not happy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Buz Sawyer

Office Hours

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

This rear end in a top hat is going to get a job at his dad's office eventually, or a job at a factory, with a pension, enough money to buy a house, a family, and retire on time. All while being the same rear end in a top hat.

And then there's Dustin. :smith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I really hope Mary helps the indigo child learn to connect with the cosmos. I really hope that's actually going to happen in this storyline, it'll be great.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I thought that the first panel was one of the characters letting out a massive fart, but no, it was just Geech.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 16, 1927)

Today's Peanuts is filed under "Sometimes he just brings it on himself." (July 8, 1967)

The Immaculately Pure (If Temporarily Debased) Artist Goes To Lunch

He's going to get into the producer's head through the tandoori guy, isn't he? It wouldn't be Les if he took a more direct approach.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 25-26, 1925)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 5, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Well, it was bound to happen someday, :smith:
Cul-de-sac which we've seen before.

I know, I know, the dangers of posting a retired strip. Makes me miss it all over again. Richard T, you are STILL my favorite comic stripper.

Neither The Creeps nor Poptropica seems to update on weekends.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TofuDiva posted:

Peanuts came close (October 1950 - February 2000). I can't recall Schulz ever doing reruns (except for Rerun, of course!), and the Al Plastino fill-in strips were never actually published so they don't count.

The Guinness Book of World Records says that the longest running daily comic strip by a single author is a UK strip called Bristow, which I've never heard of but has apparently been running since 1961.

Beetle Bailey has been running since 1950, and Mort Walker is still the official creator, although who knows how much he actually has to do with it these days.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 5, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

The Guinness Book of World Records says that the longest running daily comic strip by a single author is a UK strip called Bristow, which I've never heard of but has apparently been running since 1961.

Looks like low-key office comedy to me. The website design is a blast from the past, too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

This is the worst version of The Shining ever.

Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

:ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils

Makes sense.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/5/2003

Oh Brooke, come on. Edda looks too loving weird in that dress without even the slightest hint of cleavage. How did you manage to restrain yourself?

Zits

That was to be expected based on the job description, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

:downsrim:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yesterday's Ham Shears because the holiday threw me off.

Today's The Dinette Set because whatever.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Prince Valiant does all the same planning for his overseas voyages that the kids in Out Our Way do.

"Ats okay, we'll only need to go fer a day or so cuz we kin hijack a pirate ship once we hit open water! Gorsh fellas, why am I allays th' only one thinkin round here?"

The fact that it works should fill everyone around him with Existential Dread Comix.

Pooch Café

Twist ending, Poo Poo was a toy all along! Are any of the dogs real? Are any of us?

Ballard Street

Look at his face. He doesn't know why this keeps happening. It's not him doing this, by God, it's not him!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

GorfZaplen, thanks again for posting classic Prince Valiant, it's so great!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Calling it now- Olive has a high midi-chlorian count. Only a matter of time before the Jedi Council shows up to take her away from her family forever!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Calling it now- Olive has a high midi-chlorian count. Only a matter of time before the Jedi Council shows up to take her away from her family forever!

At which point her parents shrug and say "a bunch of celibate magicians want to raise her? Well, as long as I don't have to leave the pool"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- This year I'm going to have my holiday in the Central African countries
- Ooh
[Vesa Keskinen]

Okay. "Central" is the pun here. The way adjectives work in Finnish is that they agree with the number and case of the noun. In this instance, "Central" is the adjective and "Africa" is the immediate noun. Afrikan here is the genitive (possessive) case of Afrikka (Afrikan maissa "in the countries of Africa, in the African countries"), therefore keskinen "central, middle" must also be in the genitive case: keskisen "[of] central".

Vesa Keskinen is the CEO of a large Finnish department store and a fairly common sight in the yellow paper headlines. I guess he's kinda like a poor man's Donald Trump. Fairly wealthy by local standards anyway.

So, when both "central" and "Africa" are in the genitive case, Keskisen Afrikan maissa can be read as "in Keskinen's African countries".

No, it was not a funny pun.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gunther is going to get eaten alive in Peru.

:iceburn:

You know, if you'd asked me two weeks ago, "Julet, what comic do you think is about to give you a look at a guy's V?" I would not have guessed Luann.

Wow, Gunther. That doesn't say much for your year(s?) long relationship. DONG DONG DONG

That couldn't have been cheap. I wonder how he's financing this thing.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Do the writers of Luann know that it's not out of the ordinary to wait a few years between high school and college?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ema Nymton posted:

Do the writers of Luann know that it's not out of the ordinary to wait a few years between high school and college?

They clearly haven't heard of work visas so...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ema Nymton posted:

In general, yeah, but for someone like Gunther (who is going to loving die in Peru)? It's pretty unusual. I think he'd have been better off getting on with his life than following a high-school romance to Peru to work in a clinic without any qualifications beyond a high-school diploma. I mean, I suppose that's a good set of memories to have, but does he even speak the language?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know what I bet third world medical clinics really could use more of? Glorified tourists showing up knowing nothing about the work they plan to do or the local culture and whose reasons for going include "I don't want to break up with my girlfriend" rather than any real desire or passion to help out! Definitely that American high school diploma beats whatever credentials any so-called "doctor" got in Peru, right?

This is why you shouldn't narrate your activities out loud.

I don't know, Ock. That vehicle still looks like it got pretty hosed up to me.

Here's the only thing that happened in A3-G

The baby is, of course, Tommie's deer. Also note that you can tell we aren't supposed to like Carol because she is not fond of babies and approves of nannies.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Wow, Ted keeps surprisingly fit for a guy who spends most of his spare time brushing up on his 70s/80s nostalgia.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Gunther returns from the rugged wilds of Peru a changed man. An ultranationalist separatist organization kidnaps all of the clinic workers for being tools of foreign commercial interests. After several months of physical abuse and harsh labor, Gunther breaks free of his captors and flees blindly into the night. Broken and starving, Gunther blunders into a clearing and his vision fades to black.

Gunther is found and nursed back to health by an ex-tier 1 operative, Juan, who fled to the wilds of Peru to forget his past life and commune with the divine in solitude. During their time together they both learn the true value of living. Juan finds the peace and personal fulfillment he had craved in teaching his military and wilderness skills to Gunther. Gunther finally experiences the firm guidance and respect of the father he never had.

The duo begin stalking the countryside, a pair of phantoms bringing justice and vengeance to those who need it. Entire criminal empires crumble in the long bloody nights of their crusade. The clinic workers are freed and their captors punished as a matter of course, but it is only a moment as brief as a single heartbeat to the Ghosts of Peru.

Ten long years after they met, Juan has a fatal heart attack. As Juan lays dying, he and Gunther exchange a silent and tearful knowledge that they truly knew and loved one another, as father and son, as brothers in arms and as lovers.

Six months after Juan's passing Gunther returns to the US to see his mother. At first she does not recognize the boy she had long thought dead in the grizzled man before her. Soon though, mother and son wordlessly embrace and cry tears of joy and sorrow for hours.

Later that day when his mother inquires about Rosa, Gunther quietly replies, " Rosa? The last time I saw her I was too busy buying her and the others time to escape to say hello." He smiles and rolls up his left sleeve to reveal a deep jagged scar and offers no further explanation.

Or I guess Gunther will go to Peru and be an awkward douche as usual. Luann is pretty terrible. Has dude's daughter taken over or is the strip transitioning ? I figure the whole graduation arc will end with the change of leadership. It would be cool if she did something different with the characters.

• Locked thread